1929 - Oct 6 - Oct 20

1929

Oct 6 - Oct 20


"I got Spurgeon.  He wanted to preach.  Something is wanted.  I think he looks splendid.  He was singing and he was preaching, too.  He was on this side - he must have been, but I could only get the heads.  I don't know where he was at, I couldn't tell you; but he wasn't in any building.  The people were on a hillside."

T. G. H.: "Did you see anyone else?"

Ellen: "Yes.  Spotty didn't get in, but I saw him."

T. G. H.: "Did you see anyone else?"

Ellen: "Yes, I did.  I saw your mother and another young woman with her who had black hair.  But your mother came plain.  She just looked at me - hush, I hear someone singing.  Did you hear?  Just wait a minute." (No one else could hear this.)

All Sing "Jingle Bells".  Ewan says, "This is alright.  You can get a photograph with no one in the cabinet.  Not tonight though."

T. G. H.: "Did you want Dawn prepared for tonight?" 

Ewan says: "No, no, she told you that."

Then Ewan says "It's all right.  It doesn't matter whether you hold his hands or not as you aren't going to get anything.  You can get a photograph with no one in the cabinet, not tonight. (Very impatiently), Come on!  Come on!" - ( because singing was not brisk enough).  All sing louder and chair bangs around in cabinet three times.  Ewan says, "It's all right!  It's all right!  It's just my toes." (There is no medium in the Cabinet).

Gramophone is turned on. 

T. G. H. asked how the chair is moved.  Ewan (Walter) says "That's how; I kick it with my foot."  The chair again moves violently although situated four or five feet from Ewan's nearest extremity.

Dawn says "Funeral march."  Evidently referring to the record on the gramophone; and then commences punctuating music by saying, "Boom - Boom - Boom" at about three second intervals, and continues until 9:55 p.m., when she again says, "Funeral, funeral, take it off."

T. G. H.: "Who is talking?"

Dawn: "Me."

T. G. H. says: "Don't you like the music?"

Dawn: "Why don't you put on a funeral march and be done with it?"

During the above conversation with Dawn, Ewan is under much stress and at this juncture remarks, "Sterge can't come."  Calls, "Sterge!  Sterge!  Where are you?  You look after her."

Dawn: "Now is your chance to get the group, the group that is sitting down at Boston."

T. G. H.: "What do you mean?  Do you want a flash tonight?"

Dawn: "No, no, can't have it tonight."

Dawn shuffles her feet violently and then bangs on the floor with them .

Ewan:  "All right."

Dawn, who has been sitting to the right of the cabinet,  gets up and moves into the cabinet and says: "Good evening", to which all reply "Good evening.", and then she continues, "I want to put Mercedes right in here with her chair."  Dawn then walks across the circle and takes Mercedes by the hand and conducts her from her place in the circle into the cabinet, taking her chair with her.

The bell gives two double rings. One or two of the group are talking.  Walter says sharply: "Only one person to talk at a time; not six.  We are just setting Dawn out for a little experiment.  I didn't want to use her at all tonight; she should not have come at all.  But she was sitting against the cabinet and I had to use her, although I didn't want to.  I am leaving her now.  Leave her absolutely out.  Let her sit right back.  I will talk to her when she is natural.  Push her back to the wall; (this is done).  Dawn will go back to her place at the next meeting."

T. G. H. discusses with Walter the details of the flash of September 29.  Walter says that he does not want to hold the medium (Dawn) any longer; he is going to the other (Ewan).  T. G. H. asks if we could get a picture of the table being "kicked" by Ewan.  Walter replies that it would be difficult to get the signal for the flash property timed.

T. G. H.: "Walter, I'd like to explain.  The bell box had shrunk and was pinching the lid, which made it hard to ring."

Dawn: "It's all right now.  We are just setting Dawn out for our little experiment.  I didn't want to use her at all tonight.  She should not have been here at all; but as she was sitting against the cabinet, I had to use her, though I didn't want to.  I am leaving her now.  Don't take her hands at all.  Leave her absolutely out.  Let her sit right back, not in the circle at all.  I will talk to her when she is natural.  Push her back to the wall."

Dawn moves back to the right of the cabinet and reaches the wall with a bang.  Thereafter there is much banging of chairs, etc. until Dawn says: "Steady, steady," when it immediately stops.  

J. A. Hamilton: "Is that all right, Walter?

Dawn: "Yes."

Thereafter a discussion ensues as to whether Dawn's hands should be held by members of the circle or not.  Dawn says, "No, no, take Mercedes's hands, not Dawn's.  Dawn will go back to her place at the next sitting."

T. G. H.: "Can you answer a few questions now, Walter?", and upon receiving permission continues, "There was a circle or buckle of teleplasm on the medium's breast in the last picture you gave us.  What was that?"

Dawn: "If you had taken the flash when you were told, you would have seen the strings extending across the room from left to right through the medium's breast.  The strings were going from there, and to there they had to return."

T. G. H.: "Then what was the ring or circle?"

Walter: "Opening of the flesh."

T. G. H.: "But it appeared to be in front of her dress."

Dawn: "It was the teleplasm going back onto the breast and falling down."

T. G. H.: "Are there always two strings when you are using teleplasm?"

Dawn: "Always two, always two.  In this case one was from the cheek and the other from the left side of the chin.  I don't want to hold the medium any longer.  I will go and use the others."

T. G. H.: "You are getting along all right with Ewan?"

Ewan: "Yes, you know that darned well.  I didn't want to speak either.  When I get complete control I will make you all fly when I get at you.  But I can't get it."

T. G. H.: "Could I get a photograph of Ewan kicking the chair in the cabinet?"

Ewan: "Yes, only it would be difficult to get the signal for your flash properly timed ... It's just me.  I was pulling his toes again.  I will pull them  right out."

Dawn: (now in normal condition) "There is a light across the room - but perhaps I ought not to speak?"

Ewan: "All right.  See what you can tonight, take the chance.  But tell the truth."

Dawn: "I saw a light stretching from the cabinet to the other end of the room.  It seemed just to go from the center of the cabinet.  It seemed just like a bow of light and seemed as if somebody had stretched it to the other end of the room.  It waved like a string of light and it seemed to go to the back of the room.  There were some letters on it but I couldn't make out what the letters were.  I didn't see the hand that opened it."

An old gentleman came into the room just before I felt myself going away.  He wasn't very tall.  His hair was very white and it was lanky as if he hadn't combed very much.  He had a heavy mustache and his eyes were all wrinkled up.  His clothes were white and dusty-looking and in his hands he had a hat like soldiers wear on foreign service.  He put his face in his hands and his hands on the table as if crying or praying.  He came quickly.  He was wearing top boots.  His eyes were bluish-gray and very clear.  As he lowered his head to the table, it seemed to shrink down small to almost the size of a stool.  I left him there.  He appeared to be an elderly man about 60 or 65 years of age and he looked worried - tired and worried."

"There are some children in a ring in the center of the room now."

Ewan: "It is time to hear from Mercedes.  Get up!"

Mercedes: "All right, Ewan; just when I am ready I am coming. Your name, my boy, (referring to W. B. Cooper), shall be "Victor".  It has been given to me to give to you.  I do not know the significance unless it could be a triumph over something; but by that name he is to be known by the members of this group.  I have no other names tonight.  He only gives me one at a time."

Ewan: "You should not say that.  I will put you right out."

Mercedes: "He has a beautiful name for the Doctor's lady, but he will not give it tonight.  He wants to give it himself.  The others will come in due time."

Ewan: "Come on!  You have a lot more to give.  Come on!"

Mercedes: "I suppose you think he is not working tonight, but he is.  He has placed the instrument here for a purpose which may not be known tonight but at some later date will be."

T. G. H. asks if Mrs. Marshall (Mary Marshall) should be prepared as usual for the next time.  Walter, through Ewan, says sharply "Everybody is to call her by the name, Dawn.  She should be prepared as usual."

Ewan speaks (apparently under impression from Walter) "I need all the power I can get for the next; this one (H. Green) and the man next (H. Reed).  He says to impress on every member of the group the necessity of being here.  There is not one that is not needed.  They are to take their places when called upon without comment.  Come on!  Come on! (Table moves violently).  I took a lot of power tonight, but I'm finding out what I can do; I use the boy (Ewan) for these movements."

Dawn, still outside the group, now passes under the control of Spurgeon and sings out very strongly.  Second verse more softly.  He preaches a beautiful sermon on Luke chapter 5, beginning at the 16th verse. He gives also a most moving prayer for the members of the group.

Dawn: "There is a lot of machinery coming in.  Oh goodness!  Someone keeps saying, 'Glad you are here.  Glad you came tonight!  I think it must be for some of my friends at the back.  I only hear the voice.  I see no one but hear someone say, 'glad' - power fails - 'you are here.'  That is all."

Mercedes: "Ewan has some messages to give to you.  All attention to him please."

Ewan: "I am just trying a little experiment tonight.  I want Victor.  Come on!  Come on!  Come on!  Talk Victor!  Talk!  Talk!"

Victor: "What do you want me to talk about?"

Dawn: "There is a crowd of people here."

Ewan: "Wait!  Wait!  There are two or three here.  Here, here!  I need all the power I can get for the next, this one and the man next to you.  Sterge is needed outside.  He says to impress on every member of the group the necessity of being here.  There is not one of you that he doesn't require.  No one of you is to feel that they are not wanted here, and they are to take their places when called upon, without comment."

"You, Hamilton! You have an important position; I told you that before.  I can't use you.  You have an important duty.  These others, I'm going to take them .  They won't mind, will they?"

T. G. H.: "They won't mind."

Ewan: "Come on!  Come on! (Table moves violently.)

T. G. H.: "I'm surprised you don't like our music."

Ewan: "Sure I like it.  I didn't say I didn't like it.  It's the boy who doesn't like it.  I didn't criticize it.  I had used this boy for those movements, and I couldn't control her (Dawn) so I put her in the cabinet.  It's all right!  I took a lot of power tonight, but I'm finding out what I can do."
T. G. H.: "Are arrangements to be as usual for the next photo?"

Ewan: "Yes, yes.  Just the same, the old routine."

Mercedes: "All is well.  All is well."

10:32 p.m.        Ewan: "It is our old friend.  Mercedes, tell them  who it is."

T. G. H.: "Which friend?"

Ewan: "Your friend the preacher (Spurgeon).  Yes, he's all right.  He is not doing any harm.  She's all right where she is (Dawn)."

Dawn sings out very strongly, "There's a Land That Is Fairer Than Day".  She sings three verses with the chorus, "In The Sweet By and By", all joining in the chorus during which Ewan says, "I am going to use Mercedes to build up some ectoplasm some night."

Dawn sings the second verse much more softly and Ewan says, "He does not realize how much noise he makes.  It is better now.  Just do what I tell you always, and it will be all right."

Dawn: "Turn to the fifth chapter of Luke, beginning at the 16th verse."

Ewan: (in an aside) "I don't want to stop them .  It's all right."

Dawn: "And He went out from among them and went into the wilderness.  He went into the wilderness to pray.  He needed to pray.  If you will look at the 15th verse you will find that the multitudes were around him; He was in the crowd, He was right in the crowd.  There was a time when He wanted to be in the crowd.  He had a time for the crowd, a time for the multitudes, and a time for God.  There was a time when he He had to go to God that He might go back into the crowds again.  Yes, He needed to be refreshed at the Fountain of Life.  He needed to be refreshed again.  He was weary with the crowd, and He went from among them  to ask for refreshing powers so that He might go back into the crowd again and give to all of His happiness.  And He withdrew Himself from the crowd and went into the wilderness to pray."
                        
"Read again in the seventeenth verse.  He is back again.  He has been refreshed.  He is a wonderful Savior! When Jesus comes into your home as your guest, when you invite Him into your house, what happens?  It is a costly thing to invite the Master into your home to be your guest.  Everything is upset.  He arranges things to suit Himself.  He takes the helm just as he did when he was on this material plane of ours.  He comes, He is here, He is with you.  But remember, friends, it is a costly thing to have Jesus as your guest.  You must remember to give twelve inches to the foot, sixteen ounces to the pound, and twenty shillings to the pound., you pray "Lead us not into temptation."  When you say, "Lead us not into temptation," He is there and ready, but you run into temptation the moment you leave your place of worship."

"I will not weary you with a long sermon, I just want to tell you that the things that happened when our loving Savior was here upon the earth are happening now, the same things, the very selfsame things are happening now.  Just as the Pharisees and the Scribes sat apart from the rest of the crowd watching Him, spying upon Him, ready to pounce upon Him, so, my friends, they are ready to pounce upon you when you show them  what has been done here.  There are a few of the long-necked and the narrow-minded who are sitting watching; but, my friends, it is a costly thing you are doing.  It is not going to be easy.  As they watched, as they listened, as they reasoned among themselves, so they are talking about and criticizing you.  See to it that they are not able to take hold by reason of anything you do which you would not do in the presence of the Master.  See to it, my friends, that you let these people see what you are doing.  It will be costly.  Be honest, be true to yourselves, let there be no camouflage.  That is a word that I never heard when on earth; but since it is used so often now, and conveys exactly what I mean, I'm using it here.  Let there be no pretense.  Remember your Savior is your true Friend.  Let us pray.

"Eternal God, Thou who art long-suffering and kind, Thou who art in the hearer and answerer of prayer, come with Thy healing power and understanding.  Open the lives of these people, so that they may know themselves.  Help them  to go with Thee, and help them  to understand.  Amen - Our friend is very impatient with me but I have a message to give to the world just as he has - God is love!  Jesus lives!  We live!  There is no death, no death, no death but one continuous life - love and brightness - beautiful home - land of the glorified.  You can't go into that Land until you have prepared yourself for it.  Made a blessing of God Almighty, Father, and Holy Spirit, rest upon you all now and always.  Amen."

There is some commotion somewhere and Ewan says, "You will have to put her out.  It is not I; it is the boy who has got them  all on edge."

Mercedes: "Friends, you will receive final instructions from Ewan for breaking.  It is not left to this instrument but to the boy to say when to break.  You saw what happened because I let the preacher look over my shoulder.  He gives a beautiful message but your control gets impatient."

Ewan: "I wanted to stay a little longer with this boy, but must quit.  I wanted to tell you what happened but cannot just now as he has slept with that long sermon.  He is very edgy." (Someone laughs). "It is not funny, there is nothing to laugh at.  I have never before used him like I have tonight.  It doesn't take much power to speak, you know.  We had better break.  Don't try to force him out too quickly.  All right, now, break."

All break. 

Dawn: "Walter says, do you understand about next time?"

T. G. H.: "Yes.  Everything as usual, the old routine."

T. G. H. then closes all camera shutters.


October 13, 1929.                

T. G. H.; H. A. Reed; A. C. Whittaker; Mercedes; L. H.; Mrs. Poole; Ada Turner; John MacDonald; Ewan; Dawn; W. B. Cooper (Victor).  W. E. Davies; J. S. Hamilton; J. A. Hamilton; W. E. Hobbes; Eileen MacTavish.

Circle, clockwise: Mary Marshall (Dawn) and Elizabeth Poole (Ellen of the Rosebuds) in cabinet; W. B. Cooper; T. G. Hamilton; Mrs. Susan Marshall (Mercedes); Mr. Reed; Miss Ada Turner; H. Green (Ewan); Mrs. L. Hamilton; Dr. J. A. Hamilton.

Outside circle: Mrs. Harold Shand; Mr. Whittaker; Jack MacDonald; Dr. John Hamilton; Mr. Davies; note takers: Miss MacTavish and Mr. Hobbes.

Hands in chain formation.

More instructions and intimations of important phenomena

Walter: intimates that the next materialization is near.  Ewan under great stress part of time - panting and moaning.

9:10 p.m.        Sitting commences.  

All singing "Unto the Hills", followed at 9:15 p.m. by "Lead, Kindly Light", at the end of which Ellen (Elizabeth Poole) is in deep trance and all sing more softly.  

Elizabeth's regular controls come through.  Spurgeon insists that we learn the hymn "Whate'er My God Ordains Is Right."  He tells us that it is in a Presbyterian book.  We promise to try and find it.  No one has ever heard it.

9:30 p.m.        Ellen says, "Stead."  Writing immediately follows.

9:31 p.m.        Ellen says, "Spotty. He says he is going through."

T. G. H.: "All right.  Let him come."  Writing immediately follows.

9:34 p.m.        Ellen: "Spurgeon ... Spurgeon wants to sing 'Lead, Kindly Light".  All comply with this request.

9:35 p.m.        Ellen: "

        "Whate'er my God ordains is right;
        I will be still whate'er he doeth;
        He is my God though dark my way
        He holds me that I shall not fall
        And so to Him I leave it all."

T. G. H.: "We don't know that yet.  Tell me, can you tell me where I can find that hymn?"

Spurgeon: "#469 Hymnal, Book of Praise."

T. G. H.: "Do you mean the Presbyterian?"

Spurgeon: "Yes."
T. G. H.: "#469, Presbyterian book of Praise."

Ellen: "I'm coming home."

T. G. H.: "You're coming home?  Very well, come on home."  

Ellen then moves out of the cabinet and takes her place between W. B. Cooper and T. G. Hamilton, and Dawn then moves to the center of the cabinet.  

T. G. H. opens cameras as follows: one Seneca Portrait, one 6 1/2 by 8 1/2, and two stereoscopic.

Ellen (uncontrolled) says: "I have to come out of the cabinet."

T. G. H.: "Oh, (after a pause) - "Well, let's get ahead.  Let us have your story, Ellen."

Ellen then relates her trance visions as follows: 

"I saw Stevenson.  I saw the old lighthouse.  I was right on the top and I looked down.  I went up on the top of the lighthouse and then I went inside and it was kind of dark and I went right up with them , up steps, and there was a handrail too.  I went right up to the top and I could see far all round and you could see cities and everything all over.  There were some letters that I got, too."

T. G. H.: "Was anybody going up the stairs with you?"

Ellen: "Yes.  There was Stevenson and there was another young man, but I don't know who he was.  I heard his name too.  There was one of these telescope affairs, Dr. Hamilton, with me to look through.  Stevenson gave it to me."

"I got good pictures tonight.  Everything was so bright and clear.  There were two or three of them .  Stevenson came for me and then we went in a little boat to get over to the lighthouse.  Then I climbed up on the rock and went through a little door, and I went up the steps, round and round."

T. G. H.: "It wasn't a square building, then?"

Ellen: "No, the lighthouse was round.  There were windows in the wall every now and then; little windows just like a pane of glass.  We went right up and there was some kind of a thing on the top."

T. G. H.: "Were you in any other place?"

Ellen: "Yes, I was at Livingstone's.  I was in a kind of a tent with Livingstone.  There was a big long homemade table.  There were three or four deals in the table.  I got another white man with us and two kiddies."  

"And there was his wife and there were two or three other ones but they were waiting on the table, and the only thing we got was bannocks.  There were blacks there, but they were waiting on us.  There was one sitting with his arms crossed."  

"It was a really good picture.  I saw them  so plain.  The children, though white, they weren't bright children at all.  They were black, black hair.  But his wife, she wasn't quite so dark as he was but she was getting pretty yellow-looking in the face, perhaps due to sickness or something."

Mr. (.....): "Maybe she had jaundice." (Laughter)

Ellen: "Then I came away from there."  

"I had Stead. I was on the boat with him and there were many others.  But there was no accident there tonight.  Stead, he was kind of stout, and had on a dark gray suit.  He was maybe a little shorter than you.  (Talking to T. G. H.).  He was quite stout.  There was one big tall man and he came forward laughing and talking, tall thin man.  I got his name but can't remember."  

"I saw a good many.  I saw ladies and all.  But this man seemed to be quite free with Stead though he was quite tall."  

"I saw Spurgeon.  He was right here beside me.  Spurgeon brought him, too."

"I got Spotty.  He was right with me.  There were quite a few around him, and they came over to me and he tried to keep them  away. (Dawn is waving the crowd back).  I don't know who they were."  

"Saw Livingstone again but not at the same place but he was the same age as before.  It was back at a little house, but the waves are bounding and a white froth coming, too, and he has one, two, three, four, sitting there."  

"And Stevenson has no coat on, but whether it is that the waves are too strong for them  to go out there, I don't know; but there is a boat dumped up ..."

T. G. H.: "An overturned boat?"

Ellen: "Yes.  And they are sitting on the boat turned up.  See the shells there!  All is white and clean-looking and there is some seaweed, too.  He is talking.  They are all talking to each other.  The cottage is at the back of them .  Stevenson is near me."  

"He is looking at you. (Speaking to  T. G. H.).  There is another looking around at me.  Stevenson is looking at you."

T. G. H.: "Look at the medium, Stevenson!  Can't you put a few words through the medium?" (Speaking to  R. L. Stevenson.).

Ellen: "He's looking at you, Dr. Hamilton.  I can hear him.  He says it is too hard for him."  

"Here's another running picture.  It is my picture that I got last night, Dr. Hamilton.  This is a cloud, like, or a big snow, and it is all white, and there is a great long thing, and here's an opening here."  

"There is a hat.  It is one of those things with ear flaps on it, and it is over there beside that window; and this hat is hanging on it.  There is fur on it, but I can't get anything; and yet I can hear talk.  Yes, I hear talk."

"I can't get anything but this great mountain and it is buried down, but I can get only the top.  It is just like a white mountain.  It is only the top I can get, and it is all white with icicles."  

"There doesn't seem  to be any life about.  There is something else there, Dr. Hamilton.  Oh, I know what it is.  It is either a fishing rod or a gun, Dr. Hamilton.  It is partly covered with this whiteness, too; and it is inside."  

"It wasn't a house.  There is an opening in the side of this great long thing.  I can't see a door and yet I could step inside of it.  There is either a cushion or something, but it is covered with white too."

At 9:55 p.m. the phonograph is turned on and plays "My Blue Ridge Mountain Home". (Said to be a favorite of Walter).

Mrs. Hamilton suggests that the group sing too, and one or two sing a few lines.

9:58 p.m.        Ewan: "Good evening."

Dawn: "At last.  At last.  I like that."  Dawn shuffles and taps her feet in time to the music.  The record is turned on three times and at 10: p.m. is still playing when Dawn says in a loud voice, "Bells!  Bells!  Bells!  The phonograph is shut off.  Dawn says, "Bells!  Several times again and the group begins to sing, "Clementine."  This irritates Dawn and she yells, "Bells!  Bells!", very angrily.  The group then sing "Jingle Bells."

During the singing of this song, Ewan, who has been quiet, keeps time to the music violently by stamping his feet and clapping his hands.

Ewan is under much stress, moaning, panting and banging feet violently on the floor.

"I can't keep the preacher with me if you don't do that.  If you don't sing (for him) he goes away; he says you don't want him.  We must make time for him.  I will stand aside and give him time."

Lucy (Mercedes): "Will you please sing the hymn that was asked for?  Or even the other will do (There Is a Fountain).  He (Spurgeon) must be kept; your control needs him.  He must have him standing by." 

"The preacher is very powerful on our side.  He ( Walter) has just one more instruction to give me; he has a special reason for asking that the group alone sit for a picture.  He will tell you in due time.  He is willing to have the note-taker inside."

[Lucy says goodnight.]

Mary M. (Dawn) has her head down on the table.  The group sing "Dem  Golden Slippers."

Dawn: "Will you be disappointed if you don't get a picture tonight?"

T. G. H.: "That's up to you."

Dawn: "You won't get a picture tonight.  I'd rather wait just another night.  I want one with just - just - members of the group, those who come all the time."

T. G. H.: "No one outside the circle?"

Dawn: "No, no, just members who come all the time.  No strangers at all.  When I ring the bell that is a signal to be prepared to get a picture."

T. G. H.: "You mean next time."

Dawn: "I will ring the bell but that doesn't mean to take it.  I will let you know by the ringing of the bell there is going to be a picture that night.  I just want to tell you a little friend here is going to talk.  I am not going to let anybody go through Dawn tonight at all.  No one at all.  And our little friend will talk to you just for a few minutes.  Don't prolong the session tonight.  I could give you a picture tonight, I could, I could - I'd rather not tell you about it now (impatiently)."

T. G. H.: "Yes, all right."

Dawn: "I was going to put Dawn out of the cabinet, but I don't want to upset your arrangements, so I will leave her in for tonight."

T. G. H.: "I was going to change the camera posts but I will leave them  till the picture and then I will fasten them  to the wall."

Dawn: "That will be all right.  Leave space for the light to go right through.  It will be easier for you."

T. G. H.: "We'll have everything all right and better for everyone."

Dawn: (speaking to T. G. H.) "There is a big letter for you.  One is rather bulky.  The other is a long letter.  I think there is some money in it."

T. G. H.: "That sounds good.  May I get it soon?"

Dawn: "It's right beside you now.  You can get the letter, just one letter, big letter, and one long letter.  I don't mean long, lots of writing, but long on the envelope.  I think that's the one with the money in it.  And don't forget your poor friends." (Laughter).

T. G. H.: "All right, if there is that much we'll have to share it."

Dawn: "We don't need money here.  Man wants but little here below and that's a big little.  That's what I used to think, you know."

T. G. H.: "Were you an ardent labor man, Walter?" No answer is given.
T. G. H.: "Walter, I'd like to introduce Mr. Davies and my brother, Dr. Hamilton."

Dawn: "How do you do?"

T. G. H.: "My brother comes from the United States."

Dawn: "Yes.  I Can See the Stars and Stripes on his face." 
(Laughter.)

T. G. H.: "Mr. Davies is from India."

Dawn: "You aren't coming over here, are you?"

T. G. H.: "Oh, no; He's traveling round the world."

Dawn: "Yes, but not my world."

T. G. H.: "He'd travel quicker there."

Dawn: "He will have to travel quicker, but he's coming there someday."

T. G. H.: "He speaks Hindustani very fluently."

Dawn: "Well, I don't.  I speak only one language and not very well.  I can't let my Hindu friend come through.  He might have something to say, but he might talk too much, so I can't.  I wish I could, but I can't."

T. G. H.: "Can he use the medium's vocal organs and speak in Hindustani?"

Dawn: "No.  We never numbered tonight.  That is what should be done before the music and you should sing your little hymn.  I tell you time and time again.  I want you to do that."  

"I can't keep the preacher with me if you don't do that.  If you don't sing he goes away.  He goes where they sing this hymn.  You don't sing them  here.  He says that you don't want him.  He will go back.  We must make time for him and I will stand aside and give him time.  After the picture I'll let them  all have a turn.  I will make this boy, Ewan, talk."

Ewan: "Number off!  Numbers are given off clockwise, commencing with W. B. Cooper, J. A. Hamilton being nine.  Afterwards Walter says "Twelve".

Dawn: "You'd never do for soldiers.  You're too slow for a funeral."

Mrs. Hamilton: "It's Ewan here.  He's sound asleep."

Dawn: "He will be sounder asleep before I am through with him."

Dawn: "All right.  Keep the gates shut just now.  There was two didn't call out."

T. G. H.: "Didn't you speak for them ?"
Dawn: "Yes.  They are my assistants, Black Hawk and Stead."

T. G. H.:  "Walter, I hope Black Hawk wasn't feeling badly over thinking we were turning him down last night."

Dawn: "No, he is too big for that.  If you say 'go', he goes, but he comes back.  He is good to help.  He is not taking any offense.  He is a pillar of salt; not Lot's wife, but a pillar of salt."

T. G. H.: "A pillar of salt?"

Victor: "The 'salt of the earth'."

Dawn: "That's right.  Now you've got it.  This numbskull can't see it."

T. G. H.: "Well, of course I have my own ideas ..."

Dawn: (to T. G. H.) "We must have our little bit of fun.  You're another pillar of salt.  The earth needs salt, salt of the right kind.  I don't want to talk anymore through Dawn.  I'd like her to be wakened and not go to sleep anymore."

T. G. H.: "Do you want a towel used on her?"

Dawn: "Yes.  I must take no more time now, and I don't want her to talk anymore."

T. G. H.: "You don't want us to break?"

Dawn: "No.  Now, use the little lady."

T. G. H.: "You will come from some of the others?"

Dawn: "When I say 'So long', I will go.  'Good evening' is my entrance.  Sing!  Sing!

All sing, "In the sweet By and By".  Dawn comes out of trance.

Mercedes: "Good evening."

Mrs. Hamilton: "This is Sister Lucy, isn't it?"

Mercedes: "Yes.  I have in the first place to tell you that their friend, whom the other little medium was speaking of, has given me a message to give to you."  

"Stevenson says that I am to tell you that he is going to try to talk to you through Ellen.  It may take a little time but he will do it.  He is very pleased at being noticed so much tonight and he will reward us.  It is not much of a disappointment about the picture tonight because you will get it next time.  There was someone absent who should have been here."

T. G. H.: "On your side?"

Mercedes: "Yes.  On our side."

T. G. H.: "Was the absence due to us?"

Mercedes: "Yes.  I think it was on account of something left undone by you.  Would you please sing the hymn that was asked for, next time?"

T. G. H.: "#469?"

Mercedes: "Yes, or even the other one you used to sing will do just as well.  He must be kept or he will leave.  Your control needs him.  He must have him standing by.  He is keeping this other boy (Ewan) quiet for a purpose tonight.  I think that the preacher would like to use more than one medium here and he will do so because he is very powerful on our side.  He also says your control is funny.  He says he will stop your Victor's 'do do do do da da da de do'.  I don't know what he means by that.  He means Victor.  And he was just about putting his finger in his mouth to stop him. (Laughter).  Can I shake hands with the man whom Victor has brought us?"

T. G. H.: "Yes."  Mr. Davies stands and shakes hands with the medium.

Mercedes: "You feel strong but you would be a wonderful power if you would only interest yourself in this work.  You have the means of delivering this message to quite a few if you felt so inclined.  Take it seriously, my friend.  Is there anything else you would like me to do for you before I leave?"

T. G. H.: "I will introduce you to my brother tonight."

Mercedes: "How do you do.  Pleased to see you here."
Mercedes: "He has just one more instruction to give me.  He has a special reason for asking that the group alone sit for a picture.  He will tell you in due time."

T. G. H.: "Then we'll have to get a telephone for the note-taker outside."

Mercedes: "No, no, he is willing to have the note-taker inside.  Goodnight."

Everyone says "Good night."

Ewan: "Good evening."

Mercedes: "Come along and give your message.  I must go."

Ewan: "Nonsense." (He says this at Dawn's difficulty in keeping from going into trance again.)

Lucy/Mercedes) starts singing "Nearer My God to Thee," and all join in.

Dawn is having great difficulty in keeping out controls and starts talking quickly in a foreign language.  W. B. Cooper says, "Get out!  Get out!  We don't want you.  Go on away!"  Dawn then ...


October 18, 1929

Letter from Dr. Hamilton to Mr. R. T. M. Scott - appreciation for invitation to speak at A. S. P. R.


October 20, 1929.                

L. H.; H. A. V. Green; Mrs. Poole; H. A. Reed; Victor; T. G. H.; Eileen MacTavish (notetaker); Ada Turner; Dawn; J. A. Hamilton; Mercedes; John MacDonald.

Note: New circle - clockwise - Ewan; Mercedes; Victor; Mrs. Poole; T. G. H.; Ada Turner; Sun Yan (Mr. Reed); Dawn; J. A. Hamilton; L. H.; 

 "Crinkled" teleplasm.


[ Photo of crinkled trial teleplasm ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]

Walter's first double control

A Costly Mistake.

Statement:        

Blackhawk/Mary M. 

Two peoples' faces will manifest at next exposure.  (See teleplasm of October 27, 1929(?))

The Raymond Face Appears

9:05 p.m.        Meeting opened.

9:08 p.m.        Ellen is in deep trance.  Various trance personalities manifest through the medium of automatic writing from 9:10 p.m. to 9:16 p.m..

9:11 p.m.        Ellen mutters to herself and says, "Poor voice, Stevenson."

T. G. H.: "What else?"

Ellen: "Took two names, two men."

T. G. H.: "What else?"

Ellen: "With swords too."

T. G. H.: "And what else?" Automatic writing follows and Ellen then says, "Good evening, I'm Stead"

T. G. H.: "You're Stead. Speak.  What have you to tell us? Can't you speak?" Automatic writing follows at 9:16 p.m. and medium then says, "Spurgeon."

T. G. H.: "What do you want us to sing, Spurgeon?"

9:20 p.m.        Spurgeon: (Ellen) "It is good for a man to wait patiently and hope for a vision of God.  Sing:

                Whate'er my God ordains is right
                Where'er His will abideth
                I will be still whate'er He doth
                And follow where He guideth
                He is my God; I shall not fall;
                Therefore to Him I leave it all."

9:20pm.        The group sing this song.        

T. G. H.: "Is that right?" No answer is given.

Ellen: "There is Spotty."

T. G. H.: "What is that?"

Ellen: "My friend."

T. G. H.: "And does he say much to you?  Does Spotty say anything else to you?  What is that? "(Said as Ellen mutters to herself.)
        
Ellen: "I can't hold it."

T. G. H.: "All right."

Ellen moves around and appears to be coming out of trance.

Ellen: "I'm coming home."

T. G. H. opens cameras.  Some man reminds T. G. H. not to forget to have the group number off, and T. G. H. replies, "Yes."

T. G. H.: "Mr. Reed's camera, the Wollensak Stereo, the Seneca Portrait, Dr. Creighton's camera, the stereoscope Goerz, and J. A. Hamilton's. There are two on each side and a stereo on each side, six lenses."

Ellen: "I saw Stevenson.  He brought some heather to a house.  And then I was down by the sea with him and there was quite a young man and he was in shirt sleeves. Well, the next one, he was a boy with two men I saw that came, and they were dressed with long coats, military, and three cornered hats.  They seem  to have a battle there, and this boy I took for Stevenson, and he was watching.  He was where there were two men, and the boy was standing at the back, like, behind, watching them  with the swords."

"And they had the swords flashing in the sun and three-cornered hats on.  Their hair was very long and they have mustaches or whiskers when I could see their faces."

"And then I got Livingstone.  He was there in a house which I could see and there was a woman gathering something from the ground.  She had only scraps in her hand.  She was a dark woman.  The other men were dark too.  She seemed to be distressed too, and she had a grip in her hand?"

T. G. H.: "And then you saw?"

Ellen: "But I got Stead and Spotty.  Where was I with Stead?  I was in a house with Stead.  I don't know now whether it was a house, it was a home anyway. Chairs all decorated with leather around the sides and there were sofas and a fireplace.  And there was a picture of a ship on the mantelpiece.  Whether it was a picture or a model, I don't know, but it was that anyway."  

"There were two other gentlemen with him.  One of them  had a very round face and white hair.  I didn't get any names, but other tall, thin man, very ...... face, very little hair.  He was standing with a summer suit on.  There seemed to be some study or talking among the three of them .  This is in a ship.  I am coming out of it."

T. G. H.: "See if you can't get the name of those men."

Ellen: "Now, wait, Dr. Hamilton.  I have f-r-now; it's kind of muddled - and an 'n'.  I haven't got it.  I have got part here like as if it is going to be thrown in."

T. G. H.: "Well, you watch it closer.  Yes?"

Ellen: "Who did I get? I saw Spotty and I got Spurgeon just beside me.  Spurgeon looked quite pleased."

T. G. H.: "What was he doing?"

Ellen: "He had a book in his hand."

T. G. H.: "He sings.  What was he singing?"

Ellen: "He is singing with such a downright force.  He is a big man, a heavy man.  What else did I get?  Is that all?"

T. G. H.: "Yes, I guess that's all."

9:35 p.m.        Group sing: "There Is a Fountain Filled with Blood."

Dawn: "Good evening."  All reply, "Good evening." This is repeated five times and is answered each time by the group.

Dawn: "Number!"  All number off and immediately after J. A. Hamilton says, "Nine".  Dawn says, "Twelve".  J. A. Hamilton and W. B. Cooper examine medium's face and neck here.

Dawn: "Perhaps you think it's strange but you will get no picture tonight ......  ....... has just removed it from me.  There is no one to move or touch the medium unless I give orders.  And before I give you a picture there will be evidence that there is nothing upon her face and I am very much annoyed to think that you would not take my word for it.  Very much, very much annoyed!"  

"I have never given a picture that I haven't called for an examination of the face, neck, and arms.  The medium must not have a drink of water, only after I am through.  Let that be clearly understood."

T. G. H.: "Has water a damaging effect?"

Dawn: "It damages the vocal chords.  I know very well that you want everything to be above board, and it shall be so; but you must leave me to do it in my way, not your own.  Never, never again will I tell you.  This is the last telling!  Never again will I tell you!  

"Examine her before she comes into the séance room, but never in the room without my permission.  Never, never!  Strip her naked, but don't touch her in this room, understand, without my permission."

T. G. H.: "It was a misunderstanding."

Walter: "Misunderstanding is always the excuse.  I have asked her clothes to be removed and her body to be washed.  The person who removes her garments should examine her.  Examine her, every part of her body, her ears, her hair, her mouth, every part of it; but let there be no examination in this room without my permission!  I will never tell you again!  Never!"

T. G. H.: "All right."

Walter shouts "Goodnight" very angrily.  All reply, "Good night."

Walter later apologizes for his outburst; he had been working on that particular part all week, and it was destroyed by the touch of a hand.

[Walter: apparently had planned to give the 'important' material as arranged.  But a mistake ensued on the part of the observers and he said it was now impossible.  A signal (chance flash) was called for by Black Hawk (a secondary M. M. control.]  

He stated as a prediction before the plate was developed that the image showed  "...  just some waste material - thick in one part and ragged in another", a description that agrees well with the mass photographed on this date.]

Dawn is under much stress.  A tapping sound is heard at 9:45 p.m..

Dawn: "Sing."

All sing, "Come to the Savior." Dawn claps her hands on the table violently and yells, "Get off, get off, get off!  Sing, sing loud, sing!" The group sing louder and she beats time to the music on the table and sings herself (along?).
                                        
Dawn: "Jesus, Lover of my Soul, sing." The group sing this song and she leads them  in a loud, strong, emphatic voice. (Spurgeon).

Spurgeon: "The last verse.  Repeats the last verse alone and then says, "Sing the last verse, please." At the end of the second line he says, "Hallelujah".  Singing continues, but Spurgeon is not satisfied with it and says imploringly, "Oh, put some heart into it!"  Spurgeon sings very emphatically.

Spurgeon: "He is a gracious God ready to give pardon and waiting to forgive.  Who could say these words and not feel a warmth to the loving Savior?  A just God who is waiting to reveal Himself to each and every one of you.  You may to that bosom fly just as a little child will fly to its mother.  You may to that bosom fly.  Hallelujah!  Isn't it glorious, isn't it great to be able to fly to the bosom of your Almighty Father, of your loving Savior, of your elder Brother, to your Friend, to your Companion, with your troubles, with your trials, the Brother who sat with the publicans and sinners, not with the righteous and the holy, with the lowly, they that were diseased and in sin; He came to save that which was lost."  

"But, my friends, let us hope that there are non here who are lost."  

"But, my friends, our brother here is somewhat impatient; but be patient with him.  It is so difficult.  He is still here, He is with you.  He loves you; He loves to be with you; he loves to help you.  It is as great a disappointment to him, my friends, more than to you, that when he is all ready with something, it goes wrong.  But that is life, that is life on the plane below, and when he comes here he takes on the material form.  Be patient.  Try to obey."  

"Try to do what he wants you to do.  Perhaps he is a little hard for you to understand.  I don't understand him.  I am brought here and I don't understand what he is doing."  

"My mission is not to make things unpleasant, but to try to make things pleasant by pouring upon the troubled waters the oil of peace that heals and soothes.  Don't, don't be discouraged.  I have been asked to say just a few words to you just along these lines; but that is not my mission to talk of these things to you.  Sing for him, sing for him and try and just follow what he tells you."
T. G. H.: "What had we better sing for him?"  

Spurgeon: "Oh, what he wants you to.  We have our own music but we like to come and listen t the music on the material plane sometimes ..."

"He is with our brother here and I think he will talk to you.  Try him, as I'm going to stay with our medium tonight.  I don't know why he is displeased with her; I am not displeased with her because I know that she is a good woman.  I am often taking just a little peek at her."

T. G. H.: "Do you ever go to England?"

Spurgeon: "My native land. (very tenderly).  It is not my native land anymore.  My land is "fairer than day and by faith I can see it afar, but I go once in a while to visit my friends who are left; but there are not very many of them  left.  They are mostly over here beside me, but I do and I can come to my beloved temple, and I try to talk to the beautiful audience that is there."  

"I can talk to him always where the name of my Brother is spoken.  That is my mission to Him again on the material plane.  But I will not detain you with talking about myself."  

"Some day I will tell you  about the struggle that I had.  I wasn't always so good.  When I was a boy in my teens I had a hard struggle to meet my Jesus.  But that is due to Him who gives us the victory.  He wins; He always wins, always, always.  He always wins."  
"I didn't want to be a preacher as you call him.  I would have liked to be a missioner."

T. G. H.: "And what becomes of those who don't win?"

Spurgeon: "They win, they win, or else remain in outer darkness.  There are many, many in darkness, and that is my mission to bring light to them .  We must bring light to them ."

T. G. H.: "On your side?"

Spurgeon: "Yes, but don't mistake, we must bring light to them .  It may take a thousand years as you talk, but yet the light will come through."  

"Many of them  who have come over here have returned to the earth plane to prolong their wickedness.  I can't tell you of the sorrow that it brings to us.  I will go now, my friends, if we will just repeat our Master's prayer."

All repeat the Lord's Prayer led by Spurgeon.  Group says, "Goodnight", and then sing. 

Ewan is talking softly to himself: "I will tell them  what I think of him .  I will tell them.  I won't have anything more to do with him.  Have nothing more to do with him."

Dawn bangs loudly and distinctly on the table once, twice, three times, and says, "Ready."

T. G. H.: "Ready for what?"

W. B. Cooper: "A picture."

Dawn: "When I give four."  Dawn bangs on the table for the fourth time and  T. G. H. fires the flash the same instant.

Ewan: "I fooled you that time.  Ha ha, I fooled you that time."  Ewan talks away and seems to think he has put a good joke over.

Jimmy Hamilton comes to the door of the séance room and tells  T. G. H. that he is wanted on the phone.

T. G. H.: "I can't go now.  Tell them  I'll ring shortly."

Dawn: "Go, go, go on.  Big man, let him out."  As T. G. H. leaves the room Dawn says, "Get out, get out, get out, we don't need you."

The group sings and Dawn bangs the table with her hands and tramps with her feet and says, "It's me keeping time. Listen to me!  We are going to put something over on him, perhaps by next time."  

"When the little lady, Ellen of the Rosebuds has given her story, start in and sing for me for all you are worth; and then Ewan will give the signal when I touch him, and we are going to put something over on him when he is not looking.  Now, don't tell!  Keep it a secret.  You, and you, and you.  I have given you your orders.  Yes, we'll surprise him."  
And then the preacher can come in and preach till he's black in the face.  Sing when I say "Twelve".

Walter now gives a wonderful exhibition of double control - Dawn and Ewan - like a Punch and Judy show.

Ewan is talking to Mrs. Hamilton, telling her what an awful fellow Walter is.

Dawn: "Come on, Ewan. Come on, speak up."

Ewan: "He's so damned bad tempered."

Dawn: "Come on."

Ewan: "It's you."  Talks away to himself.

Dawn: "I'm putting you in here next time.  Put him to his feet.  Put him right straight up."

Mrs. Hamilton: "He is standing up."

Ewan: "This is Walter.  It is not Walter on her side.  Ha ha. Ha." (Walter seems to be very much amused at something.)

Dawn: "There is only half of him there with you. (Talking to Ewan).  The other half's here with me."

Ewan: "Do you think they'll believe that?"

Dawn: "Yes, they'll believe it."

Ewan: "Maybe some of them , but not the old man.  He's hard to convince.  You can't fool him." ( Referring to Dr. T. G. Hamilton).

Dawn: "Well, they'd better believe."

[Significance: This is a very important, because Walter is talking first through Ewan and then through Dawn, keeping up a running fire of banter.  This is the first time Walter has succeeded in controlling two at once.]

Dawn: "There are no photographs.  It is a photograph of the medium."

Ewan: "Yes, she's beautiful."

Ewan: "Put that boy right over here, right beside Sterge.  Just look over there and you will see him.  Sterge is kind of holding him over there.  I am going to give you a photograph of that boy sometime.  Mercedes will sit on the left and you (turns to Mrs. Hamilton) will sit on the right."

Dawn: "Take hands."

Ewan: "That is important."

T. G. H.: "When is that?"

Ewan: "And then you, Victor, you sit next to Mercedes and you sit next, and Dawn next, and Ellen next to you."

Dawn: "He will sit in the cabinet." (Referring to Ewan.)

Ewan: "Wait a minute, wait a minute! Damn that fellow!  I am not going to stand very much more from that fellow."

T. G. H.: "When is this to be?"

Ewan: "In the future. That poor little chap, he is just getting lonely over there."

Dawn: "You are doing fine.  You are doing fine."

Ewan: "And then that man, .............. you, next to Ellen, and in this one here, Ada, next to Mercedes."

Dawn: "Sun Yan. Sun Yan." (Name is for Mr. Reed.)

T. G. H.: "What's the meaning of Sun Yan?"

Ewan: "What's the meaning of Hamilton?"

T. G. H.: "I could give you that but it would take some time."

Ewan: "Well, I could tell you the meaning of Sun Yan and it would take longer."

Dawn: "Sun, ancient sun ... Still, you'd better get on with this boy.  Come on, you are doing well.  You will be a credit to your mother yet."

Ewan: (sarcastically) "Yes, oh yes."  Members of the group laugh and Dawn says, "It's not for laughing."

Dawn: (to Ewan) "Sit down."

Ewan: "Just keep on saying that and I will stand."

Dawn: "All right, stand then."

Ewan: "No, I will sit down."

Dawn: "He's just like a pig.  If you want it to go one way it goes the other way.  Tell him to stand and he will sit, and tell him  to sit and he will stand."

Ewan: "Well, I am standing." (Group laugh)

Ewan: "Walter thinks he's wonderful."

Mrs. Hamilton: "He is wonderful,  Ewan, he is wonderful."

Ewan: "He's no damn use at all.  Look at his face, just look at his face!  He is mad."

Black Hawk/ Dawn:  Dawn bows three times, puts the left hand over the right breast holding her right arm aloft, and then brings right arm down over her left breast ... "I haven't been permitted ... paleface don't wish me to take your time nor his time here.  He has asked me just to go over there for a moment.  He is doing some little things around the medium and so he has asked me just to be a kind of a guard."  

"I am here to do his bidding.  I am the messenger of anyone who would use me.  It is very nice to be with you.  I am never very far away, for though I don't speak I am still here. Our brother is getting along but he is only three parts gone.  There is one little particle still with the material and once we get that you will have nothing to think about more."  

"Paleface is very busy.  He is busy elsewhere.  He is doing other work, work I will not perhaps be allowed to speak of.  May I? (Speaking to an unseen)  No? All right ... I am not permitted to give you any detail, but I will say that he is not idle."  

"He is bringing a new friend. No?  Mustn't?  Well, I am sorry.  I have said it now.  Oh.  All right ... I should not have told you but as I have said so much I will finish.  He is bringing along a new friend who will be very welcome I am sure.  You will see him next time and when you do remember that though he has much to say to you, you are not to forget Walter in your new friend, and with the help of him and Walter, things will go along all right."  

"Oh, have you any questions before I leave?  I was making my obeisance to you before asking if there were any questions you want to ask."

T. G. H.: "Do you understand ectoplasm?"
Black Hawk: "No, there is only one man who understands and that is the man who does it himself.  We are only carriers.  We are here to protect the work that is going on."

T. G. H.: "Protected against what?"

Dawn: "Protect it against intrusions and the curiosity of people, anxious to see, not those who have fully entered into an understanding.  It is those who are half acquainted, and the greater part of them  is with the material and they want to see and know everything.  Their curiosity is aroused as soon as they see the machinery moving along."  (Black Hawk speaking).

T. G. H.: "About this picture.  Did we get a picture or not?"

Black Hawk: "No, only of ectoplasm, just from the mouth and hanging over the left side, that is all.  It was coming from the mouth as she was repeating the prayer.  It is in a very rude state, thick in one part and ragged in another.  It was just a mass that had to be removed, so it was brought outside."

T. G. H.: "From whom are you getting your information?"

Black Hawk: "From paleface.  He is working on.  There is some ectoplasm that once it is made into a form has to be removed and whether you take a picture of it or not, it is removed  just the same."

T. G. H.: "You mean you can't break it down to return it to the body?"
Black Hawk: "No, it is a waste from the medium.  It is used through her organism and is just a piece of waste matter."

T. G. H.: "And when the light is turned on it?"

Black Hawk: "When the light is turned on it, it dissolves.  It just goes into the air and you breathe it back into your bodies.  You breathe it back in again as it mingles with the air.  It would not do you any harm at any time."

T. G. H.: "It is not an ingredient of all air?"

Black Hawk: "No, it is always the product of body tissue."

T. G. H.: "Is that Walter speaking?"

Black Hawk: "Yes, he is answering you through me."

T. G. H.: "You told me one night to flash when I liked.  Is it easier to flash and hold some faces than others?"

Black Hawk: "Sometimes.  I have the face of them, just right, and when I know that the time is ready, then I give you the signal.  I work upon the face of the medium, sometimes when she is in a quite normal state and other times when she is not.  I had two people tonight that I was trying to put through."

T. G. H.: "Well now, you will be ready with them  for the next time."

Black Hawk: "We'll see.  You heard what was said, or parts.  They will come just as I said.  Goodnight friends."  A whistling sound is heard, part of Black Hawk's farewell salute.

Dawn: "Mercedes!  Mercedes!"

W. B. Cooper: "Do you want Mercedes to talk?"

Dawn: "Mercedes has a message."

Ewan: "Come on.  Come, come, come, come on.  Come on, come, come."

T. G. H.: "Good evening."

Ewan: "Sh -- sh --sh.  Come, come, come, come."

Lucy/Mercedes "Good evening.  I have not very much to say to you tonight but I have been told to come through just to ask you to be very, very careful that you have all of the instructions for your next sitting.  It is very, very important." 

"Your control seems as if he wants me to emphasize that it is very, very important!  I cannot say it any stronger.  Have you got the instructions that he gave you and also the instructions that Ewan gave you?"  

"I wasn't there at the first part of your sitting.  I was called away to where there were some children.  I only came here as Ewan was giving his message."  
"You have to sing good.  Number first, sing for him, sing loudly.  Don't let our friend, the preacher, come in if you can help it.  He will get his turn after.  I don't mean any harm to him."  

"He also asks me to tell you that he is sorry for his little display of temper in the early part of the evening.  He wishes it to be clearly understood that no one is to be hurt that he spoke like that; but you must understand that he has been working all week on that particular part of a piece that he wanted to put through, and just by the touch of a hand it was destroyed.  It was done unintentionally, and he is sorry.  He seems to think that I can be the peacemaker.  If I had been right there when it happened, he would have sent me over; but I wasn't there."

Mrs. Hamilton: "Tell him we think too much of him to be hurt."

Lucy: "I will tell your message to him.  There is someone who wants to get this medium.  Don't let them get her.  Keep them  away.  I wish to come through her myself.  Put your hand without breaking it on her throat."

Mrs. Hamilton: "You must tell him to go away now."

Lucy: "Go away!  Is that all right?"


(Image obscured by fingers) moves and says, "God's sakes, what kind of a place is this anyway.