1929 - Oct 20 - Nov 14

1929

Oct 20 - Nov 14


W. B. Cooper: "Who is this?"

Dawn: "Go away!  Go away!"

W. B. Cooper: "Away you go!  Away you go!"

Dawn: "They're going to drown me." (This remark seemingly prompted by the application of a wet towel to cut short incoming control).

W. B. Cooper: "Yes, we'll drown you.  Don't break!  Don't break!"

T. G. H.: "No, don't break whatever you do."

Dawn: "Where am I?"

Ewan: "It's all right.  She's all right.  Let her go.  It's all right for her to go out."

Mercedes: "All stay."

T. G. H.: "Who else will go out?"

Ewan: "All that can should stay."

T. G. H.: "Anyone who wants to go, can go."

10:55 p.m.        Dawn is coming out of trance and says, "Sh -- sh -- sh --", etc.  T. G. H. turns on the red light and Dawn says, "Who told you to break hands?"  T. G. H. turns the light off again.  
Walter/Dawn makes a sh-sh-ing sound like steam going off in a locomotive.

Walter/Dawn: "237396, 237396, 237396."

T. G. H. "What's that the number of?"

Walter: "237396."

T. G. H.: "Is that the number of a boxcar, a flock of geese, or what is it?"

W. B. Cooper: "Is that the number that you want kept in here?"

Walter: "I'll answer your questions, but not foolish ones.  That's the number that is here."

T. G. H.: "That's here?"

Walter: "That's the number that's on the first locomotive, the one that Stevenson built."

T. G. H.: "You said that number was 237396.  Why didn't he start with one?"

Walter: "They wanted to start plenty so that people wouldn't be afraid.  Yes, yes.  So they thought they's start that number.  Did you ever see it?

T. G. H.: "No, I never did."
Walter: "No, you never will.  Never is a long time.  Still, I know that you have been making plans to go away across the water."

T. G. H.: "Me?"

Walter: "No, the wee ...... that comes in the house and I suppose that if you go there you will see it."

Ewan: "Ah, wonderful, wonderful, just wonderful." (mockingly)

Walter: "Supposing two and two make five.  It is very likely there would be more of all such sets for rules of three and rules of four.  You never heard that before.  You never heard anything like that before."  

"Well, you want to go and buy a book and see if there is any number in it like that.  Somebody look up a copy and see if there are any numbers like that.  What's your number?"

T. G. H.: "We can get it in the phone book."

Walter: "Marvelous, marvelous!"

T. G. H.: "Our number is 502133."

Walter: "Did you really remember that? Did somebody tell you?"  There's your little friend come there.  She has brought a flower for the lady."

T. G. H.: "What lady?  What lady?"
Walter: "But she says the lady's not here. Is there anyone else you'd like to give the flowers to?"

Ewan: "Oh, yes, I'd like to give it to this one."

Walter: "She gave the flower to the lady."  (referring to Mrs. Hayward)

T. G. H.: "Yes."

Walter: "Any questions about the next sitting or any other questions?  Be very brief."

Mrs. Hamilton: "It still stands that we are to sing for you fast and furious and you will tell us when you want us to?"

Walter: "Yes.  And remember that he will touch Ewan and he will get the signal.  He says he will feel the touch on his shoulder and he will give the signal."

T. G. H.: "Ewan will give the signal?"

Mercedes: "Yes, Ewan will."

Ewan: "No, I don't think.  No I don't think  ..." (to himself)

T. G. H.: "Is that clearly understood?  Do you want Ewan to give the signal or do you wish Dawn to five the signal?"

Walter: "Let Ewan give it.  Let Ewan give it.  Just as we are for the next flash?"

Ewan: "Yes, yes.  Is it possible for you to make any change in the camera?  I once told you that I would like you to take a photograph of the group as they sit.  Have you taken that photograph?"

T. G. H.: "No. I wanted to have light in the room; but I will take that if you wish.  I understand that flash lights made in this room are detrimental to your work.  We have been waiting an opportunity.  Could we take that this week?"

Walter/Dawn: "Could you take the picture of the group as they are sitting here?  I wish a photograph of the mediums as they are.  You are all mediums.  You aren't all trance mediums but you are all mediums."

T. G. H.: "I will do that but I can't get them all in the camera at the one time."

Walter: "You can put two or three in the cabinet if you wish although I would prefer two only.  Just as they sit at the commencement of the circle with paper or whatever it is that you have upon the table."

T. G. H.: "Do you want that picture taken at the beginning of the next sitting?"

Walter: "Not if you take the photograph. It would be very, very detrimental."
T. G. H.: "Then shall I arrange to take it at the end of the next sitting?"

Walter: "No, I am able to demonstrate ... that there is no ..."

T. G. H.: "We'll have to hold the picture until we have our next picture safe."

Walter: "Very well, I would like five sitters before that picture is taken."

T. G. H.: "Whom of the sitters do you want?  Dawn, will you name the ones you want in the five?"

Walter: "No, five only."

T. G. H.: "Will you designate whom you want?"

Mrs. Hamilton: "It is all right, Walter.  We will stay out if you want us to."

T. G. H.: "Victor being one, Ellen two ..."

Walter: "I know the numbers myself.  I would leave you to choose for yourself."

T. G. H.: Well, shall we choose the same five we had on the former occasion?"

Walter: "I only want five.  That is all; but I must have Dawn."
T. G. H.: "Do you want Ewan?"

Water: "He is as good as anyone else."

T. G. H.: "All right, Walter, we'll arrange about it."

Walter: "I don't wish anyone to feel hurt.  It is an experiment that I am trying.  Seven sitters would do just as well, but I would prefer five."

T. G. H.: "Yes, we'll arrange it, Walter."

Mrs. Hamilton: "We'll call for volunteers."

W. B. Cooper: "You'd have enough volunteers."

Walter: "There will be no pictures.  There will be no photographs and there will not be any phenomena out of the ordinary.  It will only last for one hour.  I wish that to be clearly understood.  I wish Ellen of the Rosebuds to be one of the five.  I asked for no one else.  I asked for no one else."  

"You can arrange the other three to suit yourself.  There is also a message from someone else but that will be given later, not at present.  I gave the message.  That message wasn't given here.  Don't let anyone come through tonight."

T. G. H.: "Just before you go, you say that face and the other picture was Gladstone.  Are we at liberty to say it is Gladstone?"

Walter: "It is William Ewart Gladstone."

T. G. H.: "Can you prevail up on him to come back and get another picture?"

Walter: "I can.  I will; but he is not the person whom I intended to give  tonight.  It was someone who would be clearly recognized by two or three members of this group.  I will say no more.  Any instructions that are given from this cabinet are given from him.  Let that be understood."

T. G. H.: "Yes."

Walter: "And remember that the medium must drink no water in this cabinet until her work is through."

T. G. H.: "Would be all right if she drank before coming in?  I have known mediums who considered that a beneficial thing to do."

Walter: "That may be so, but in my case it doesn't apply."

T. G. H.: "You don't want any outsiders next time?"

Walter: "Those who come here all the time are quite welcome.  I mean strangers who are here out of curiosity or anything else.  Those who sit here time after time are welcome."

T. G. H.: "Yes, all right, Walter."

Walter: "Our little friend is anxious to go.  If you will break hands and give a little red light."

T. G. H.: "Yes."

Walter: "I will go."

11:20 p.m.        T. G. H. turns on the red light.

T. G. H.: "All right, Mrs. Poole, you can go out."  Mrs. Poole (Ellen - Elizabeth M.) goes out.

Dawn: "So, so, so, oh dear, oh dear, where's ..."

Other members of the group leave also.

The regular sitting closed.  This was followed by a second in which Walter works on Ewan and gives more instructions. 

[At bottom of the page are two photos of ectoplasm on the mouth of the medium.]


[Two photos of The Trial Mass of October 20, 1929]


October 27, 1929.                        

Mrs. Poole; H. A. V. Green; L. H.; John MacDonald; Sun Yan (Mr. Reed); J. A. Hamilton; Ada Turner; Mercedes; Eileen MacTavish (Sec.); Dawn; Victor; T. G. H.

[Note: After the sitting, Walter speaks through Ewan; The "faces" - the "personality" must make an impact on the plastic energy.  Walter is the mechanic.  Stead and the others use thought.  W. T. Stead is giving his whole time to this work.  He is very powerful and bright.  Myers is a very bright spirit.]

Statement:        

Walter/Ewan        

(1)          An extrusion has taken place.  (True.  See Plates of October 27, 1929.)
(2)          It is across the medium's face and neck.  (Covered lower part of the face, falling to breast below.)
(3)          Three faces in it. (Three faces seen)
(4)          The faces will be recognized. (Identified is  J. B., Raymond and  R. L. Stevenson - the latter overcovered badly.)
(5)          Faces extend all the way across the teleplasm.  (Faces across teleplasm.  See Plates.)

(Note:  position, size, number and position,         and identity of faces are correctly indicated a few moments after flash fired!)

9:05 p.m.        Meeting opens.

9:10 p.m.        Ellen in deep trance.  Various trance personalities manifest through the medium of automatic writing from 9:12 p.m. to 9:20         
Ellen: "Spurgeon is coming back."

Ellen: "Spurgeon can sing for you."

T. G. H.: "What does he sing?"

Ellen: "Whate'er my God  ordains. Everybody sing it."

        I will be still whate'er He doeth
        And follow where He guideth
        He is my God though dark my road;
        He holds me that I shall not fall
        Therefore to Him I leave it all.

        Whate'er my God ordains is right.
        He never will forsake me.
        He leads me by the proper path;
        I know He will not leave me."

T. G. H.: "Are you coming?"

Ellen: "He's very white.  I see him right there.  I can't get home.  They are holding me."

T. G. H.: "Who is holding you?"

Ellen: "There are so many.  I am coming back."

Ellen moves out of the cabinet and takes her place in the circle and Dawn moves to the center of the cabinet.  
J. A. Hamilton and W. B. Cooper  report that Dawn's hands guide their hands to examine her face and neck, and there is nothing there. 

T. G. H. looks to see if the cameras are all right at 9:35 p.m.

T. G. H.: "I have opened two Stereos; the Seneca Portrait, Mr. Reed's, J. A. Hamilton's, and the Goerz, and the Wide Angle."

Dawn: "You are to hurry up and sit down."

The group begins to number and get to "six" when Dawn interrupts and says "No, no, no!"  Ellen goes on with her story:  

"I saw Stevenson with another man and I saw him with a suit on.  He went into the house and came dressed like a soldier.  The other fellow talked to Stevenson.  I thought it was a red cloak but it was plaid with green in it; and he had a Glengarry cap on, a cane and white gloves in his hand."

"It seems as if his people weren't pleased with it.  He went to a little house in the street.  He gave a knock on the door with his cane but it was just as a joke, for as he gave the knock he walked in.  His mother was in that house.  I didn't get his name."

"I saw Livingstone but he was preparing for a long voyage, but I don't know where he was going.  He seemed to be going quite a bit away, for he had a lot of luggage with him.  He gave a ticket to some other one.  It wasn't his wife, it was another man.  I couldn't see any luggage with this other fellow.  There were boats and a sailing vessel.  I don't think I got a name.  I saw a bay but there was something else.  Whom did I get next?"

"I had Stead.  I don't know what's wrong with Stead.  He is not pleased with us.  He looked all around us.  He seemed to widen us all out.  He wants a larger ring.  It seemed far larger than this room.  I think Spurgeon was there with Stead.  They shook hands, Stead and him.  They seem  to know one another because they act as old friends and Spotty came too (Flammarion).  Spotty talked French to me.  I couldn't get it."

"I got Spurgeon and he gave me something along.  He gave me that song alright."

T. G. H.: "Did you see Stevenson more than once?"

Ellen: "No, I didn't see him more than once.  I am sure that was all I saw."

T. G. H.: "Is that all you got?  Stevenson, Livingstone, Stead?"

Dawn: "It is all right, I am working.  I am working.  Let her go on with her story.  Take no notice.  I will speak when I (Walter) want."

T. G. H.: "Did you see many other people?"

Ellen: "No, I didn't."

T. G. H.: "Was Spurgeon seemingly happy?"
W.B. Cooper: "Dawn put her hand on the back of my neck."

Walter/Dawn: "Quiet! Quiet!"

Ellen: "Did I give you Stead?  Stead did talk.  There is a horseshoe thing and the choir and he was above them ."

The group number off at 9:40 p.m.  

J. A. Hamilton says "nine" and Dawn immediately says "twelve".  Dawn keeps time to the music by hitting the table with her hands. (Controllers do not release her hands.)

Walter says "Ready!"  and stamps the floor with his foot three times.  On the fourth stamp  T. G. H. fires the flash.

Ewan: "Dawn, Dawn, Dawn."

Walter: "At last!  We are all by ourselves.  We are all by ourselves."

Ewan: "That's something.  Yes, yes."

Walter: "Yes, yes, yes.  We are all by ourselves."

T. G. H. asks if they would like some 'canned' music and Ewan says, "No, we'll have some canned soup.  I can't help laughing, I can't help laughing."

Mrs. Hamilton: "He is a funny boy."
Walter/Dawn: "Go along.  Go along.  Go along."

[Ewan confused at this point]

Ewan: "All right.  All right."

Walter: "It's all right, it's all right."

[Walter strives to gain control by psychic hypnosis method, apparently via the Ewan mental machinery.]

Ewan: "It's all right, it's all right, it's all right.  Don't worry, you are all right.  I can't help you, do much for you.  I can't help."

Walter: "All right.  Steady!  Steady!  Steady!  Steady, oh, it's all right.  You are all right.  Now take your time.  It's all right now.  Yes, go on."

Ewan: "Yes, Walter, I am ready." (Ewan is standing in front of Dawn, and Dawn is holding his hands.)

Ewan: "I am ready."

Walter: "Yes, I know you are.  Now what have you got to say for yourself?  I am going to do what I like."

Ewan: "You can do what you like.  Yes, I know it is all right.  I do trust you now, Walter.  Yes, I do trust you now, Walter."

Walter: "What is your name?  That's right, what does 'Ewan' mean?"

Ewan: "One who conquers, one who wins."

Walter: "Yes, to rise up, not run away."

Ewan: "Oh, Walter, you damn fool.  You damn fool.  I did, I trusted you.  Oh, my ..." The group laugh and Walter says, "I told you to sing, not to laugh.  You surely don't think it is a laughing matter."

The group sing, and Dawn makes a queer  sound through her lips.  Dawn pounds on the table and says "Sing, Sing!"  Group sing more briskly.

Walter (Dawn): "I can't hold two, can't hold two."  Singing continues.

Walter: "Steady, steady, steady.  Take him to his seat now. Gently!  Gently!  Gently!  Now you can question him.  Let there be no laughing, remember!"

T. G. H.: "Yes.  What questions should we ask him?  Did you give a picture?"

Walter (Ewan): "Yes, it is a good one."

T. G. H.: "What is it like?"

Walter: "It is all over her."
T. G. H.: "Over her face or neck?  Is there any face in its?  More than one?"

Walter: "Yes, yes, yes.  (three questions answered) I know the name. There are faces in it.  I won't tell you just now.  You will recognize it.  Three faces and you will recognize them .  You will certainly recognize them .  If you don't, I won't do anything more.  Everything is very fine.  The group now is very fine.  The boy is much better.  Just last week I had only three quarters of him, but I have nearly got him now.  Oh yes, it's better now.  Faces all over her.  Right across."

T. G. H.: "Tell me which part."

Walter/Ewan: "Between, across the mouth, right across the chin and the faces all over.  I use the facial nerves.  I don't use the skeleton.  I cannot, I don't know enough about the science of it to do that.  I believe somebody could, but not me.  I might injure her.  I wouldn't do that.  Don't think I would do that.  It is fine tonight.  This boy is better with the group as they are.  He didn't know I was there at all.  I was fooling him.  I fooled him all right.  This girl nearly upset that.  It's all right; she didn't mean it.  I am not cross with her.  She did not do any harm.  It's all right.  You remember what I told you last week.  When I put this boy in the cabinet, Mercedes is to hold his left hand and the other lady's ( L. H.) to hold his right hand.  You are to move along one.  One change all around, just have to move along one.  It works out if you just try it and see it.  I found that.  I give you the directions that make the least trouble, if you just understand.  I just wanted to remind you, next time, next time.  This is a great advance in itself.  You don't realize that.  It is an advance that I am controlling two, two, two.  Did you get that?  It is interesting.  Never before.  I have always had to break with the one and that left the danger here.  It is all right in some places but not here.  This is an advance for me but not for you.  You don't see it anyway.  It is all right.  If you don't mind, I'd like to carry on with this boy tonight."

Dawn: "No, no, no."

Walter: "Just a minute.  Just a minute."

Dawn: "Go, go, go."

Walter: "I'd like to do that.  I didn't want to, but I find I am making an advance and I want to get on."

Dawn: "You are impatient."

Walter: "I am not; but I want to go on.  Do you understand?  He will be all right, all right.  I am going to leave him.  Just leave this boy as he is; take no notice of him at all.  Just leave him.  He is all right.  I am going to leave him."

Walter /Dawn?: "Good evening."

Group: "Good evening."

Walter: "I didn't say good evening.  You understand that I am going to try - perhaps I should not tell you.  Perhaps it is foolish to tell you.  You get so impatient and you upset things.  I am trying to build a material body in the cabinet independent of the body of the medium.  I want you to have patience.  It will be accomplished, but it can't be accomplished at one sitting; and possibly it may take twenty-one sittings; but I want to stand the form of a lifelike size apart from the medium.  It is a thing that is going to startle the world and bring a hornets nest about your ears.

[Foretells the Lucy materialization]

If I can keep the group that is here, and if I can keep this medium with you for that time, that is my intention.  It will not be as a complete body, but it will only be a part of a body; I will try to make it complete.  Let there be no more time wasted.  Let there be no more photographs for some time.  Have everything ready when I tell you, and I will let you know either through Ewan or Mercedes just when I am ready.  I will be as quick as I can.  It depends upon the forces of the material, not of the spirit friends, but of the material friends.  What do you say about that, old man?"

T. G. H.: "Fine, fine."

Mrs. Hamilton: "It will be wonderful."

Walter: "It will be wonderful, ah, it will be wonderful.  It will be most wonderful.  It will be visible to those who are able to see it."

T. G. H.: "Do you mean to those who are clairvoyant?"

Walter: "Anyone can be clairvoyant if they want to be.  It will be visible to all those who have eyes to see."

T. G. H.: "What will people say if you bring a material body in here?"

Walter: "You never mind about fraud.  Don't worry about the fraud business.  I only wish it were possible to take the medium to a large hall in the city and demonstrate before hundreds and thousands of people.  It will be done, my friends, although it may not be done in your time; but when you come over here, you will help to put it over.  All those who are working now in earnestness and sincerity will help to put it over.  I should like very, very much to be able to produce ectoplasm without our medium.  I would like to do it with another medium.  I am trying hard, but up to the present I have not succeeded."

"It is not for the want of trying.  I can't explain the factor that controls it.  It is not that the faculty of producing ectoplasm is not normal."

T. G. H.: "There is nothing pathological about it?"

Walter: "No, but yet some of this comes from the power that the medium has had along the line of work that she has had, although I don't approve of her work.  I don't want you to run away with the idea that it is wrong.  She didn't do that and I can use her just the same.  There is no use talking.  She would do it in spite of you.  There are a great many people who depend upon her, not for money but for advice.  But that is one of the things that has enabled me to do just a little through her.  Sometimes she is better than others.  Today I will say she was very good."

T. G. H.: "Well, I am glad."

Walter: "There are a great many there.  Spurgeon is here.  He brought some who sang and others who are all in white.  They were all in white.  I think our good little friend there also has something to say to you through Mercedes.  I would just like to say that I am hoping soon to put Mercedes in the cabinet and we will try to give you photographs of your good little friend, Lucy."

T. G. H.: "Tell Lucy we'd love to have it."

Walter: "They don't have their photographs taken when they enter the church, but she will surely come forward and let you see her beautiful shining face.  No, I'm not flattering you.  It shines with beauty and goodness.  It shines. Sun Yan."

Mr. Reed: "Yes?"

Walter: "What are you doing?  Why aren't you asleep?"

Mr. Reed: "Asleep?"

Lucy/Mercedes:

        "Though dark the way
        Still sing and pray
        Sometime, sometime we'll understand."

Lucy/Mercedes sings this song in a clear, sweet voice.

Lucy/Mercedes: "Good evening.  There was a lady who wished the medium to sing that song for her ... I asked your control's permission and he very kindly allowed it.  She is gone now.  She is quite happy.  Her name was Ellen Ross.  I don't know whether she was known to anyone here or not, but she has very persistently kept behind this medium all evening.  I don't think that she is unknown to her.  Well, I haven't much to say, only that Walter is very anxious that you pay attention to every little detail and he wishes to be quite sure that you have got the order of sitting as he seems to think that there is a little muddle.  You may question the other medium, the boy, and me before we break, and let us straighten it out.  You have tonight a wonderful picture.  I was trying to get his consent to tell you what it is, but he will not give it."

"This materialization that he speaks of is going to be a wonderful piece of work.  You must try and keep all the sitters together as much as possible.  There must be no obstacle in the way if it can be helped."

T. G. H.: "I have to go away the second week in November."

Lucy/Mercedes: "There will be someone else.  You have your business.  He says that it is all right, not to worry about going away.  He doesn't wish that you sit too long this evening.  He will give final instructions now himself."

T. G. H.: "Through Ewan?"
Lucy/Mercedes: "Himself, through Dawn.  We are not to call the boy by his name tonight."

T. G. H.: "Yes, all right, Sister."

Lucy/Mercedes: "I don't think that I will allow him to put my picture through."

Walter/Dawn: "Oh yes you will.  Oh yes you will."
        
Lucy/Mercedes: "Of course, I don't carry the Church rules with me now.  I am a free agent."

Walter: "We'll bring her.  We'll bring her."

Lucy/Mercedes: "Well, if he behaves himself and doesn't lose his temper, I may be coaxed.  He is a good fellow and it is because he is so anxious to prove to the world that he speaks crossly sometimes.  You must bear with him.  He is quite human.  He has taken all his human qualities with them .  He has lost none of them ."

Walter: "I like to kiss a pretty girl.  What do you think of that?"

Lucy/Mercedes: "Well, I'm afraid I don't like to say."
T. G. H.: "That shows how human he is."

Lucy/Mercedes: "He is very human and very lovable.  I would like to say a few words about our doctor friend who sits next to the medium.  He, I think, takes a lot in good spirit.  Let us not forget that."

Walter: "Oh, pooh.  Now she wants you to kiss her."  (Group laugh)

T. G. H.: "I don't know whether you mean my brother or myself."

Walter: "How can you say it?  You're dense.  You're dense.  Who is on the right hand of the medium?"

T. G. H.: "Well, I am on the right hand of one medium and my brother is on the right hand of the other medium."

Walter: (laughs) and says, "You don't see it yet."

T. G. H.: "Well, thanks very much anyway, Walter."

Walter: "Don't forget to come for the picture."

Lucy/Mercedes: "I will be there."

Walter: "So she will.  So she will.  Those who wish to remain can remain with Ewan and those who wish to go must go quickly."

T. G. H.: "I must close the cameras before."

Walter: "Have you taken your picture of the group?  I don't wish any pictures to be taken when I start to build.  I don't care whether you take a picture of the group or not.  It is you, not me.  If you wish to take a picture of the group, take it tonight; and if you don't take it now, there can be none taken for some time, as I don't intend to give any more pictures for some time to come. I am trying, at least I haven't commenced yet, but we are arranging it here on this side and we are directed to bring it to you here."

T. G. H.: "Well, I will take a picture now of the group."

Walter: "I told you not for myself,  for you.  Just try and hold Ewan up a little so that he will be taken with the rest."

The picture was taken at 10:40 p.m. but was not a success.

Walter: "Those who wish to go will please go as soon as possible.  I don't wish anyone to control the medium tonight ... (There is someone else your friend wishes to bring, someone by the name of Cameron).  I don't wish the medium to remain.  That is understood.  Whether she likes it or not, she must just put up with it.  I don't wish her to be controlled inside the cabinet or outside the cabinet now."

T. G. H. turns on the red light and says, "All right, Mrs. Poole."

Walter: "I haven't said 'so long' yet.  You are too damn impatient.  All right, all right.  Your good friend says that I must not say that word.  But I mean it just the same.  So long, friends."

Group: "So long."

Photos of Raymond Lodge and Jack Barnes teleplasm.


[ Photo of Jack Barnes and Raymond Lodge teleplasm ]


[ Photo of Jack Barnes and Raymond Lodge teleplasm ]


[ Photo of Jack Barnes part of teleplasm]


[ Photo of text with Jack Barnes teleplasm photo ]


[ Photo of Jack Barnes from life ]


[ Photo of Raymond Lodge part of teleplasm ]


[ Photo of Raymond Lodge part of teleplasm ]


[ Photo Raymond Lodge photo from life dodged to imitate teleplasm part of Raymond photo ]


[ Photo of Raymond Lodge from life ]

[Refer back to Lucy's prediction that this will cause great attention.]

Following the flash error, encouraged by Dawn, Walter stated 

(1)         that a mass had appeared; 
(2)         that it was a good one;  
(3)         that it was near face and neck;   
(4)         that there were three faces in it, and that these could be recognized.

A wonderful mass.  Two miniatures faces are distinctly seen: Raymond Lodge and Jack Barnes.  The first identity revealed by Black Hawk at subsequent sitting; Jack Barnes identity discovered two years later.  Both killed in World War I.

[Special note by Lillian Hamilton; I have always contended that a third face can be seen partially obscured by a cloud of teleplasm closely adjacent to the right cheek of Raymond - under magnification one can even make out the ear.]

(Fifteen minutes after Raymond flash fired)

"I am trying to build a material body in the cabinet independent of the medium.  It will not be a complete body - only part of a body.  I am hoping to put Mercedes in the cabinet soon and will try to give you a photograph of your good little friend (Lucy).  She will surely come forward and let you see her beautiful shining face.  We will bring her."

The "Lucy" Materialization Forecasts:

Walter/Dawn: "I am going to try to build a material body in the cabinet independent of the body of the medium.  Possibly it may take twenty-one sittings (it took 24 sittings).  I want to stand a life-like size apart from the medium; (all masses up till now attached to Mary Marshall's (Dawn's) body); it will not be as a complete ..."

Statement:         

Walter/Mary M.        

(a)          The next major manifestation will be a materialization apart from the body of the medium.  (See "Lucy" teleplasm, March 10, 1930)
(b)          It will not be a complete form.  (See "Lucy" teleplasm, March 10, 1930)
(c)          It will be in the cabinet.  (See "Lucy" teleplasm, March 10, 1930)
(d)          It will be life-size.  (See "Lucy" teleplasm, March 10, 1930)
(e)          It may appear after 21 sittings.  (Appeared at the 24th sitting.)
(f)          Lucy's face will appear someday.  (See "Lucy" teleplasm, March 10, 1930)
(g)          She is beautiful.  (See "Lucy" teleplasm, March 10, 1930)

Ewan describes the phenomenon on the whole very accurately.  His first major subjective success.  This is noteworthy due to the fact that Ewan, a lawyer of high training, and possessing a critical, cultivated mind that made it difficult for him even while entranced, to give way to the dominating will of the trance-communicator - probably Walter.

The captain of the pirate ship.

[ Note at bottom of page: Jack Barnes was engaged to one of our neighbors. He was killed in World War I, in 1915.  Our neighbors found an old photo of Jack, which served to suggest that the teleplasmic face was indeed the Jack Barnes we knew.]


October 30, 1929.

At 10:17 p.m. Jack (whom Sterge has been helping with the 'bird' story) suddenly chokes and seems to be struggling for breath.  

Then a voice speaks in broad Scotch.  We recognize the R. L. Stevenson personality as previously manifested through the Jack/Sterge channel.  Lillian H. remarks that the thought of Stevenson had just come to her mind.

R. L. Stevenson.: "Yes, that helps.  I've been awa.  I am not going.  I must be a help."

T. G. H.: "We want your picture."

R. L. Stevenson.: "Ye no' got it all but you got one.  I will get you on another when I get a better face - a bigger face.  Couldn't do it the noo - it's getting harder to do because I'm further away.  I'm more away than the others.  

Once in a while I can come back.  I'll no' leave you.  It's a long time since I went away (referring to his death.)

T. G. H. reminds him of 'gray hair and coffin nails' (see Elizabeth messages).  R. L. Stevenson  comes back with the remark that there are no coffin nails now.  They are pulling the nails out of the coffins now to hang their hats on.

R. L. Stevenson speaks of the name Hamilton.  Says it is a good Scotch name.  Says the Scotch are a very bright race, bright in dress, bright in the face, and have brightened the pages of history with colorful deeds.  He goes on - "We have a bright past, we have a bright present, and a bright future."

T. G. H. speaks of Bobby Burns who purported to be present with  R. L. Stevenson in one of our E.M. experiments.  R. L. Stevenson says that he was.  He goes on "He's with me a lot."

T. G. H. remarks something that suggests that possibly Bobby has not progressed.

R. L. Stevenson.: "He's going ahead - what would they keep him back for?  Youth is a wee bit short-sighted.  Youth makes more happiness in the world than sorrow.  You get the odd black pea in the pod but they are not all black."

T. G. H. tells him that he has done wonderful work through E.M., but that there is much of the script that we cannot read.  R. L. Stevenson replies that it is not all her fault.  He says "I have to get the impulse through in a rush - she is no' a person you can operate steady on ... She has just one bright spot in her brain ... but we have got to put through some stuff ... connected ... I have in my mind a connected talk."

Jim leaves the room to go to bed.

R. L. Stevenson.: "Give him a book when he goes to bed for an inspiration.  A wee lad, he pulls out his cutlass and hoists the sail and goes to it.  Many a time I rattled the cutlass in the scabbard and gave the enemy a death-thrust.  I was always too ..."

L. H.: "This boy (medium) is something like you were (in physique)"

R. L. Stevenson.: "Yes, oh, a lot like me."

Lillian H.: "It will be like coming home to you."

R. L. Stevenson.: "Yes, only he has a better home."  (Better body - true.)

Pause.  R. L. Stevenson asks sitters to talk - a great help.  Lillian H. mentions fireplace in the Samoan home, hoping to get a discussion on this.

R. L Stevenson.: "Where the Scotch keep their money.  A pipe, a good book, and a fireplace are great."

Lillian H.: "Have you a fireplace on your side?"

R. L. Stevenson.: "Yes, with a grate and a lot of wee tiles to it."

Control returns to subject of fireplaces in Scotland - "Iron frame and grate ... the family kitchen ... the chimney corner ... inside the house all dingy with smoke."

Pause.  Control takes a new topic.

R. L. Stevenson.: "My stuff was not spontaneous - most of it.  Fireplaces had no' a small chimney at all, but a big one.  You could get up it yourself.  They had stones left out with a niche for the foot  ... and a wee lad for the long flue.  A common man with a house no' employed a sweep but did it himself.  If he was a fastidious man he employed a sweep."

Lillian H. reminds him of his poem referring to singing "The Lord's My Shepherd" around the fire.

R. L. Stevenson.: "Yes, it tastes of old Scotland.  A lot of Scotland's worship was done around the hearth stone.  That was Scotland's church.  Every father was his own minister and he always had a large congregation - they had to be attentive."

Question by Lillian H. re R. L. Stevenson not liking England.

R. L. Stevenson.: "I no' liked England.  It was my ain fault ... the philosophy of life is a life of philosophy ... I must go now.  (Says something about his preparation for this sitting falling through).  Maybe better next time ... had something clever, like last time, but left it at home."


                        The Wind

"Ye ken the wind's a great adventurer; he's a pirate, a rover, a seafarer and a tramp.  He never settles down anywhere.  He's ready to fight and shout, and yet he's the gentle lover.  He plays with the roses, and rolls in the dust like a swine."  

"He steals the petals off the flowers; and then, with gentle fingers, opens the flowers at dawn.  He's a gay madcap that slams the window shut; he's a thoughtless boy who grabs your hat off your head and like a hoop trundles it down the street."  

"He's a sporting lad, that, as he drives his cloud horses across the sky, and all of his stately ships of cloud galleons. Ye never know what he's going to do next: one-time he's fickle, then for ages he's strong and true.  And sometimes it seems that he falls asleep under a tree and then pauses to play among the flowers, forgetful of the sails that group in the clouds that cluster on the horizon.  Sometimes he's in a frolicking mood and then he dances, and you see his foot marks in the long grasses as he passes through the field.  You can mark his dancing on the brook and see him leap across the lake and walk on stately rollers down the ocean sand."

"He's aye a cruel lover.  The very rose whose fairy petals he caresses lovingly at rosy dawn is the same pale flower he worries all of the afternoon, whose petals he ..."


November 3, 1929.                

Mrs. Poole; Mercedes; L. H.; Victor; Ewan; Ada Turner; Dawn; Eileen MacTavish (Sec.); H. A. Reed; J. A. Hamilton; T. G. H.

Black Hawk makes known identity of upper face of teleplasm 
of October 27, 1929.

Statement:        

Walter/Mary M.        

The "form" will be to Mary M.'s left.  (See "Lucy" teleplasm, March 10, 1930)

9:04 p.m.        Meeting opens.

Various E.M. trance-personalities manifest by automatic writing from 9:11 p.m. to 9:17 p.m..

Dawn (entranced): "Ewan in cabinet; Ellen beside  T. G. H."

Ellen: "Spurgeon." 

9:20 p.m.        Group sings "All the Way."

Spurgeon/Dawn: "I will attend your meeting tonight."

T. G. H.: "All right, Spurgeon."

Ellen: "Flammarion."

T. G. H.: "What about Flammarion?"

Ellen: "He is talking."

T. G. H.: "What has he to say?  Tell him to say it in English."

Ellen: "Your work is wondrous!  Go on."

T. G. H.: "Thanks.  That is fine.  You tell Flammarion we want his picture sometime."

Ellen: "I know it, He says I would know it."

T. G. H.: "Yes, all right."

Ellen: "Too many.  Here is Grandma Mattie.  There are others with her.  She is laughing, grinning at you."

Mrs. Hamilton: "Is she any better?"
Ellen: "She's very thin.  She's telling something."

T. G. H.: "Listen to it."

Ellen: "Sister mine ..."

T. G. H.: "Take the pencil.  Let it run through writing." 

Ellen writes at 9:25 p.m.        Gone off into deep trance and writing ceases at 9:26 p.m.

Dawn: "Goodbye to you, Jack."

T. G. H.: "To Jack who?"

Dawn: "Big man."

T. G. H.: "Is he that ..."

Dawn: "Yes."

T. G. H.: "All right."

Ellen: "I saw a bunch of men like sailors.  They were pulling on a rope.  They were on a boat ... Long pull, strong pull.  They were pulling on it and making an awful noise."

T. G. H.: "Was Stevenson in the first one?"

Ellen: "No, he was looking on beside me.  Well, the next one I saw, it is his home but I wasn't in his rooms. His mother came out.  She went with him.  We were first at the funeral.  I saw ... it was him supposed to be laid there, and I saw him standing beside us.  He was with us." 

"That is where I got all kinds of white men, and blacks too.  I saw two or three preachers, two anyway. One in white and one in a black coat.  The one in white stood with his book and Stevenson was standing with his mother."  

"His mother is rather good-looking, hair kind of wavy, natural.  She seemed to be a woman of fifty or over.  Stevenson, I couldn't say how old he was.  I got that year."

T. G. H.: "Take a pencil.  Write with a Pencil."

Ellen: "There was an 18 and a 4 in it. I don't mind what was between it."

T. G. H.: "Just slowly let yourself go and it will come.  Don't think about it at all ..."

Ellen: "I can hear him and I can't make it.  I left him at the funeral.  I went away over to that place.  There is a great big stone, just a big rough stone, square.  I knew it, too.  I went over and laid my hands on it.  I saw him there at that funeral.  I was standing beside the stone."

"I got Livingstone.  He was giving a meeting.  He had a whole bunch.  I didn't know the women from the men.  They nearly all got rings or hoops in their ears. There were quite a few of them  and he had a book himself and he told them  something."

"I saw Stead tonight.  I saw him and a whole bunch of your men.  I saw that  Spotty and I saw Spurgeon above them  all."

T. G. H.: "Were they all in Earth clothes?"

Ellen: "I don't know; I couldn't tell that.  I wasn't noticing that.  What did I get next?  I Saw Grandma Mattie.  She was right here.  I think she knew me, because she looked at me with that grin on.  She wanted somebody else.  She is pretty thin."

T. G. H.: "Is that all?"

Ellen: "I told you I got Spurgeon.  He was singing.  He seems quite pleased.  I can see faces all around me."

9:40 p.m.        Group singing.  Following this they number off.  J. A. Hamilton saying "nine".  Silence for a moment and Ewan says "ten, ten, ten, twelve".  Group sings again  and Ewan keeps time with his feet.

Walter/Dawn: "Good evening."

Group: "Good evening."

Walter: "Go on."

Group continue singing and Ewan claps his hands in time to it.  Ewan whistles for some time.

9:48 p.m.        T. G. H. turns on the phonograph.

9:50 p.m.        Dawn: "It's all right.  It's all right. Don't worry.  Don't worry.  Keep it up, keep it up.  There will be more changes from time to time but I will let you know.  Anybody coming into the cabinet must come in by the right, by the right!"  Walter gets impatient when the group are not sure which side of the cabinet is the one meant and  says "This side" and bangs the cabinet wall to Dawn's right.

Walter: "Is that understood?  No one must go into the cabinet or come out of the cabinet on the left side?  The side with the bell on is the side to come in and the side to go out."

T. G. H.: "All right, Walter."                                
                                                                        
Walter: "I am building on the medium's left and I don't want anyone to interfere.  That is why I have asked Ellen of the Rosebuds not to sit in the cabinet for a little while.  I will not keep her out  long.  I must prepare my room.  I don't want two people to sit in the cabinet at once.  I would also like you not to put your feet in the cabinet, particularly on the left; for the right it doesn't matter, but for the left, please.!  Don't put your hand or foot within the cabinet.  I want the medium to sit as well back in the cabinet as possible, but not to touch the wall of the cabinet.  I will change her from the cabinet for the next sitting of the whole group.  I will make Ewan sit in her seat as arranged.  He must come in on the right-hand side at the commencement of the sitting.  I want the medium, Dawn, to sit out altogether for the next sitting when the whole group assembles here, to sit outside the circle."

Mrs. Hamilton: "Where."

Walter: "Anywhere, on a chair, right there."  (Chair is knocked over).  I'd like to have each one sit always in the same place and on the same seat as often as it is possible without confusion.  Don't remove the chairs unless they are removed before the sitting.  I am trying something with the help of others.  I am just the instrument on this side; just the same as Dawn is on your side.  Some people may wonder why I can't do everything that I do here.  I am just an instrument here; just as you have your instrument, so am I.  There are one or two new members coming into your group."

T. G. H.: "Who may they be?"

Walter: "I will introduce them  out when they come.  They are certain to come in; but until we get a little further on with our work, I don't want them to come through; and I will try not to let them  come through Dawn.  You will be very pleased to have them, I know.  They're not very well known to me.  They have been on this side a great long time. I am making new friends.  They are not known personally to you but you will know of them , I have no doubt.  Well, is it all understood what you have to do next sitting when all the group is here?  Would you please let me hear?" (Are Katie and John King the new people?)

T. G. H. repeats the instructions already given.  Ewan says he will not sit in the cabinet unless he has Mercedes there.

Walter: "Any mistake on your part will delay the work that we are trying to put through.  Let that be understood.  Any mistake, any mistake or any interference in connection with the instructions that have been issued to you will delay the work."

T. G. H.: "Any instructions in regard to music or singing?"

Walter: "Anything you like, so long as it isn't anything to bring the soldiers or blacks.  The Indians and the blacks are our worst enemies, if one can call them  enemies.  They come in large numbers and they like to make fun.  There is a great number of Indians who don't know anything at all and we must pray for them and help them .  You must pray for them .  We always pray.  That is part of our teaching.  They interfere a great deal with what we are trying to do."

Walter gives instructions similar to those already noted for the re-arrangement of the sitters.

T. G. H.: "Is the room easier to work in with those iron camera stands removed?"

Walter: "Oh, yes!  Oh, yes!  The most important thing to keep out of the cabinet now is the feet.  The hands will be kept out later; but please keep the feet on the outside of the cabinet, if possible."

T. G. H.: "I will be here next Sunday but not the one following.  Will it be permissible for Mr. Reed to take my place?"

Walter: "You will not be missed."

T. G. H.: "Well, I thought ..."

Walter (contritely): "You are welcome to go.  I know your work takes you to and fro and you can put your deputy in your seat."

T. G. H.: "And we have another man to come in, a Mr. MacDonald."

Walter: "No one else is to come in now!  He can come to the room if he wishes, but not enter the circle.  I don't want to lay down any hard and fast rules; but into the circle, no!  no! no!  I will put someone in his place myself; I will put someone in his place to fill up the space.  We will hope you behave yourself.  I can use my power anywhere ... if I had the material here to work with that I have other places I'd set the place on fire!  Hell's fire would not be in it!"

T. G. H.: "I'd need more insurance."

Walter: "Yes, and you'd collect it often. I am not belittling what I have to work on; I don't wish you to think that; and yet I don't wish you to repeat it.  I don't want you to put it in the notes.  I have wonderful material, wonderful material; but when I can enter into my own flesh it is different. There is always a certain amount of fear and restraint here."
T. G. H.: "Can you get an impression of the way in which our work is received overseas now?"

Walter: "It is like a puzzle.  We'll have to set everybody wonder- 
ing.  You'd be surprised.  There are little groups all over discussing.  One thinks one thing and another thinks something else, but we've set them wondering.  Spurgeon knows all about this, too.  It is something that he is very pleased over.  He is not displeased but he would like you to preach and preach and preach for him all the time."

T. G. H.: "Well, I am talking to theological students tomorrow night.  What do you think of that?"

Walter: "Oh, they'll laugh at you.  It is best to interest the younger people.  It is the young people that you should get interested in it.  The old fogies will soon be over here helping themselves.  When they come over here they leave the old things behind and take on the new."

T. G. H.: "What was your intention we should do with a Black Hawk picture?"

Walter: "Wait."

Walter: "There is someone has a few words to say to you."

Lucy/Mercedes: "Good evening.  I was just asking your control(Walter?) to let Mercedes sing that for an old gentleman who is known to the medium, Dawn.  I don't know whether it is her father but he seems to know her.  That is my reason for being so long.  I didn't want to come until he gave me his permission for the medium to sing.  He says I am to tell you that he has started on his great work.  If you could only see what I see tonight, you would be astonished.  He also tells me to give you the instruction that there may be some sittings that he will not speak at all, just enough to let you know that he is there.  It will be a little monotonous but you must not give up.  And every one must use his and her willpower for concentration purposes only.  You must give all your attention to him.  He hopes that it is clearly understood all that he has given you tonight."

Mrs. Hamilton: "We understand all right, Lucy."

Walter: "It's better not to have your sitting this week at all.  You better have this boy sit for you because I can get further with him."

T. G. H.: "Do you want to sit Sterge here, too?"

Walter: "You better have Sterge here next time when the full group is here because he is a help.  He must sit out.  Don't let him sit too near to Dawn."

T. G. H.: "Do you want him to sit near Ewan?"

Walter: "It doesn't matter."

J. A. Hamilton tells of Black Hawk: "Bowing once, bowing twice, right hand up to the right, hand crossed chest." (Black Hawk's salute)

Black Hawk/Dawn: "Good evening."

Group: "Good evening."

Black Hawk/Dawn: "Friends, I don't wish you to be under any misapprehension as to the picture.  It is not me."

T. G. H.: "Who is it?"

Black Hawk/Dawn: "That is a boy who lived a long way from here; and I was with him when that picture was taken.  He is a great friend of mine.  He was a soldier.  His name was Raymond Lodge (said with great force).  Send it across the waters and wait for the reply.  You will get the reply immediately!  And both of them  were soldiers and passed away within a short time of each other.  They will both be recognized.  The young boy I don't know, but I do know Raymond Lodge, the one that you have taken for me, the one at the top of the picture; not the one at the bottom.  They were both soldiers; one was a private soldier and the other was an officer.  I don't know what his rank was as I'm not familiar with the titles.  But I love that boy and I was with him when that picture was taken.  He would love to come into your group; but he has a great work to do elsewhere.  Send the picture across the water and don't keep it back as you kept the one before which was his grandfather.  I have been asked just to come and explain this to you.  I have not given my picture yet, or at least I am not prepared to give it yet.  I will give you my picture, but not yet.  Now, my friends, I am only allowed to say these few words to you, and I must go as paleface is a very busy person now.  I can't tell you anything as I'm not permitted to do so.  I only talk when I'm permitted to talk.  We are very silent people.  Goodnight, my friends, I love you all.  Good night."

J. A. Hamilton: "Bowing once, bowing twice, three times; right hand up to the right, whistling sound, right hand at the side."

Dawn appears to be coming out of trance.

Dawn: "Are you all set?  Remember, don't let anyone come through.  Wait till Dawn sits down, and when she sits down, break and put on the light a little, and don't let anyone else, oh!  It is very important that nobody gets through Dawn!  It is very important!  I think you better, as soon as ever she sits down, place a wet cloth upon her.  It is very, very important!  Now, before I go, is there anything you want to know?  Hurry!  Hurry!"

Group break.

T. G. H.: "Are you all right, Mrs. Marshall?"

[Left side - Three photos - one of ectoplasm on medium's mouth - one an enlargement of this ectoplasm to show a face in it and one a photo from life of Raymond Lodge.]


November 7, 1929.

Present: T. G. H.;  L. H.; H. A. V. Green;  J.  MacDonald, and W. E. Hobbes  recording.

Sterge-control in conversation for some time.  R. L. Stevenson comes through at 11:05 p.m..

The great physician.

R. L. Stevenson: "What's been going on?  I had to wait.  I had to wait a wee bit of time.  Wait till I get his voice - it is not quite right ... That's got it better."

"... We are all one family, and when we move out of one wee house we go into a bigger house - we are all one family still.  We are no' separate at all ... all in different periods of growing up.  Death is no' a purging draft... it is the commencement of a treatment for the ills of our soul.  The Great Physician gives us a systematic purging.  Death is just the commencement..."

"Greatness comes from a majority of successes, not from a majority of failures ... It is misery tonight.  I cannot do it (communicate).  I'm weary ..."

T. G. H.: "You weary?..."

R. L. Stevenson: "Yes, the medium's getting tired.  When I come again I'll come at the first part.  I'm no good for waiting in line.  I'm no' a first nighter.  I have to get my clothes firsthand."

T. G. H.: "Velvet jacket ..."
R. L. Stevenson: "Yes.  All the velvet is rubbed off it.  Goodnight.  Back again with the carle.  I'll gie ye a wee verse but I canna give it the night."

Life Everlasting

" ... Life everlasting ... I often wondered what it would be like to live everlastingly.  Life is good, living life is good.  Somehow I did wish for the coolness of death, for quiet hands upon my forehead, the still breath upon my cheek.  And when she came I neither wooed her no turned away, but stood.  Death took me in her arms, and soft and slow crooned my weariness to sleep.  In the soft cadence of her voice, sometimes light and low, others ringing sweet, I felt like rain plashing off the leaves.  So like the raindrop that touches the leaf, slides off with a plash and a dewy sparkle, falling on other leaves, so did my soul leave my weary body.  And I was caught up in the light towards the Great Sun and was one with the light.  As yet, I must admit, I am but a little mote whose sparkle is reflected from that Sun.  But soon, God willing, the light commencing to burn within me shall shine, and I will be of the Light, and not with it."

"Weariness I know not, nor pain, nor spiritual weariness, lack of faith.  In their stead have come strength, and vision, and beauty and peace.  There is no baptism in sorrow here, for underneath are the Everlasting Arms, the still small voice that beckons you from the dark pools of sorrow, and there is that guiding light and that soft regular murmur that comes from I know not where, perhaps within, but it is as if, within myself, Nature were crooning her great symphony as a heart lullaby."
"Believe me, that when the dark waters close over, there are, underneath all, the Everlasting Arms, the still small voice, and the quiet guiding hands, and the shining light."

"God has set not only His bow in the sky, He has permeated His whole earth with Himself.  He is here, He is there, He is everywhere.  God is a spirit.  I know I am climbing toward Him.  We go toward the light, and our rising is music in our ears, and joy gives wings to our feet, and we are not tired." 


"O Lords of Love, toward Thee
We climb high;
One little glimpse we see
As we draw nigh."
"O lord of Love, toward Thee
We turn our song.
Three in one and One in Three,
O Father, Father, the throng!"


"Lucy" was the name of Mercedes' chief control, whose teleplasmic likeness was secured by photography on March 10, 1930, under exceptionally stringent contra-fraudulent conditions, scrutinized by the later Mr. Isaac Pitblado, former President of the Law Society of Canada.  For a discussion of the "Lucy" phenomenon, see  "Intention and Survival", by T. G. Hamilton, Chapter IX; and also the April, 1931 issue of "Psychic Science Quarterly".  - NOTE:- This T. G. script shows no trace of influence from  "Letters From A Living Dead Man".
(Footnotes:- Mercedes, a gentle kindly woman was one of our very great auxiliary mediums during the teleplasmic experiments after May 1929.  She died in February, 1943 of a stroke.  T. G. predeceased her by six years.)


November 8, 1929.

Letter from A. S. P. R. - New Hampshire branch - requesting the Dr. Hamilton visit.


November 8, 1929.

Experiments leading to the appearance of a LUCY mass and face, March 10, 1930.


November 9, 1929.                        

Usual group.  Good deal of talk and muscular movement by the mediums.  Dawn makes moaning sounds.  Walter claims to have started new work.


November 9, 1929

Letter from Prof. Haslinger - Austria - first European to pay attention to the Winnipeg Investigations


November 14, 1929.

At 9:00 p.m. R. L. Stevenson comes through. Gets his throat clear and then talks.  

Lillian H. asks if he has seen his cousin Graham (recently deceased).  R. L. Stevenson replies that he has seen the 'publisher lad'.  Says he will talk on a subject.

R. L. Stevenson: "It will be wither books or men.  I'm beginning to speak.  My own voice is better now, no' strong.  It's not so hard to get through - a ramble and once in a while stop to pick you a flower and gie it to you.  It may be a bouquet by and by."

R. L. Stevenson: "Talk about men.  It is not good form to talk


 about men, and in some cases it is not good morals."