1929 - Nov 16 - Dec 31

1929

Nov 16 - Dec 31


November 16, 1929.                

L. H.; Mercedes; Mrs. Poole; Ewan; Victor; H. A. Reed; Ada Turner; Dawn; Eileen MacTavish (Sec.); T. G. H.; L. H..

Much muscular activity and talking by Dawn, Ewan and Mercedes.  Ewan placed in cabinet for a short time; Dawn at the other end of the room.  

Walter claims to be gathering "power".
Lucy/Mercedes: "This little byplay (teasing and chatting) was to keep all your thoughts toward the two mediums, one at one end, the other in the cabinet.  You must not think that there was no work going on, because there was."

Ewan groans at times, seems to be in distress.  Mercedes levitates for a moment, during which Ewan breathes deeply.


November 24, 1929.

Lillian H.; Mrs. Poole; Ewan; H. A. Reed; Victor; J. A. Hamilton; John MacDonald; Ada Turner; Eileen MacTavish (Sec.); Dawn; Mercedes.

[Note: T. G. H. absent; in eastern Canada and the US on C.M.A. committee meetings and also to speak to New York section of the A.S.P.R.]

Usual Elizabeth phenomena; she 'sees' Stevenson and Livingstone.  Following this, preparation is made to levitate Mercedes.  Ewan entranced, and under much stress.  Dawn entranced and breathing deeply and heavily.  Mercedes is levitated.  The unseen operators claim that levitation enables them  to estimate the amount of energy available for the work in hand.

9:10 p.m.        Meeting opens.

9:14 p.m.        Ellen is in trance.  Writing automatisms manifest from 9:16 p.m. to 9:25 p.m.

9:23 p.m.        Dawn's right hand is up to the left.

9:26 p.m.        Ellen asks group to sing "Twas On That Night". Complied with.

Ellen murmurs something about "Spurgeon" and "sacrament."

W. B. Cooper: "Who is speaking?  Spurgeon?"

Ellen: "Spurgeon.  Keep Copper away."

W. B. Cooper: "Go away, Copper.  Go away, Copper."

Ellen: "There, there, there." (Repeats it many times.)

9:30 p.m.        W. B. Cooper: "Who is there?"

Ellen: "I don't know where I was.  I couldn't have walked straight tonight.  I don't know where I was.  I saw him with four or five men."

W. B. Cooper: "Who, Stevenson?"

Ellen: "Yes, Stevenson.  I don't know what he was wanting with them  but he took them  down to a boat side there.  I wasn't far from a real nice little white cottage, stone, with a white roof, small panes of glass, stones at the door.  It was very clean.  I didn't see any woman there."

W. B. Cooper: "Haven't you seen that before, Mrs. Poole?"

Ellen: "I have seen it some time before.  It was kind of familiar to me.  I think that's all for that picture."

"I was away to another place with him, with Stevenson; and there were nothing but books there, quite a number of books in a room, two or three shelves in it.  I got a peep into another room.  I saw a bit of this other place; there were just books."
                                
"He had another man there with him and both of them  were writing, very busy.  I saw a young man, very thin.  I saw none beside a piece of nice land.  There was a stone; he was marking out a place.  A lot of blacks and he was doing the work.  If it is to be a cemetery, it is very small, not much bigger than a garden.  There is someone laid there and marking out for some other one; which was I couldn't tell."

Lillian Hamilton: "This was Livingstone."

Ellen: "I got Stead.  I don't know what he said.  I couldn't tell.  I know I got Spurgeon.  I was in a meeting place with him.  They sang.  They were having communion.  I saw the silver and glasses, also, but I never saw any bread.  I heard them  singing.  It wasn't a real church.  It was more like a real big hall.  It wasn't his church I was in.  I think that's all."

Lillian Hamilton: "What was he doing?"

Ellen: "Sitting in his room.  He was all alone.  I think it was a desk in front of him.  This room had a few deep, deep crimson cushions on the chairs.  There is something else in the room; there is a big clock from the ceiling almost down to the floor.  I saw the time on that clock, too.  It was away in the middle of the night some time.  I think that's all."

9:35 p.m.        Ewan is under stress, banging chairs violently, etc.  The group sing.  Dawn moves about violently in the cabinet and cries out sharply.

Ewan: "Let go!  Let go!"  Group release hands.  This is all right.  This is all right"

9:43 p.m.        The Victrola is turned on.  Dawn rocks sideways on her chair in the cabinet.

Ewan: "Sterge, Sterge!"  Ewan is under much stress.

Dawn: "Go, go, go!" (Claps her hands)

W. B. Cooper: "Who do you want to go away?"

Dawn: "Sing!  Sing!  Sing! (very insistently)

The Victrola is turned off and the group sing.

Dawn: "Sing 'She Only Touched the Hem of His Garment'"

Dawn leads the singing in a very loud mannish voice.

Spurgeon/Dawn: "Colossians 3, 23.  3, 23.  Whatsoever thou findest to do, do it with thy might.  Do it whatsoever - whether it be great Lord or scullery maid; it maketh no difference to the Father.  Do it as unto Him and then your task of labor will be a joy.  Whatsoever, it doesn't matter what, do it as unto your Father, God.  If you do it every day, every day of your lives, it gets monotonous, wearisome; but if you do it to the Father, it will take on a new aspect.  Do it with thy might and do it as unto Him."

9:57 p.m.        Ewan is standing up and joins hands with Sister Lucy.

Ewan: "Where's Mercedes?"

Spurgeon: "Glory to God in the highest.  When you get into the right relationship with Jesus, then you get to know things that have never been understood before.  You cannot see these things until you get into the right relationship with the Father, God."

Ewan: "I can't sustain this.  Lucy!  Lucy! Up!, up!  Let them  see it!  See now!  See now!  Quick!  Quick!"

W. B. Cooper: "Here she is."

Ewan is under much stress, saying "Lucy!  Lucy!  Lucy!"

W. B. Cooper: "She's all right."

Ewan: "It's all right."

Dawn: "It's all right."

10:05 p.m.        Ewan: "Just let me get something, that's all.  Lucy!  Lucy!"

Dawn: "It's all right.  It's all right."

Ewan: "We will do it; we will do it.  There is ... yes, I'm all right, but you mustn't ..."

Dawn has been breathing deep and heavily for some time.  Bangs chair in the cabinet.

Ewan: "Lucy, come, sit down."

Dawn: "No, no, no!"

Ewan: "Lucy, Lucy, Lucy!  It's all right, come here.  I am all right.  I'm all right."

Lillian Hamilton: "Yes, you are all right."

Walter/Dawn: "Much good has been done.  All day you may not think so, it has been done just the same."

W. B. Cooper: "That's fine."

Ewan: "What's the matter with my eye?"
Lillian Hamilton: "Nothing, it's all right."

Dawn bangs her chair around in the cabinet violently.

Walter: "It's all right; it's all right."

W. B. Cooper: "Shall I hang on?"

Walter: "Yes, it's all right."

10:07 p.m.        Dawn gives one very violent bang on her chair.

Walter: "It's all right; it's all right.  No, it's all wrong.  It's all right and it's all wrong. (Repeats this many times).  Do you know, it's all right and it's all wrong?  It's all wrong!  Her chair is wrong."

W. B. Cooper: "Can you bring it out?"

Walter: "Yes. (Brings chair out of cabinet). See, it was wrong; it's right now.  I will take any ... and sit in it.  Stand up!"

Ewan: "Everybody?"

Walter: "No, not everybody.  You are not everybody.  It's all right.  Talk to them."

Ewan: "Stock to them ?"

Walter: "Talk."
Ewan: "Oh, yes, I am such a good talker.  Talk, talk, talk.  Well, what shall I talk about?  How would Sterge do?  There is somebody who is always talking about himself.  Sterge morning, noon, and night.  Every woman he meets - Sterge, Sterge, Sterge.  He is a great man - according to Sterge.  A great man; oh, a great man, Walter - according to Walter.(Laughter). Ah, ha, have I talked enough?"

Walter: "Talk! T-a-l-k!"

Ewan: "Well, we'll talk about Victor.  Oh, Victor is all right.  He is much more modest than Sterge.  Oh, Victor is a fine fellow.  He is going to see some wonderful things soon.  Sterge has nothing to do with you, Mr. Walter; nothing to do with you."

W. B. Cooper: "What am I going to see?"

Ewan: "It will probably be Sterge.  Sterge on every hand and Sister Lucy, too.  She'd never talk about herself.  That's why I wanted Sterge more, so he could meet her and be an example to her.  I think he's past all examples.  Really, he's not such a bad fellow if he could ever get past the eternal S-t-e-r-g-e.  Sterge, where are you?  Go, go on.  Don't be so modest, oh bashful one."

 Sterge/Jack: "Tut, tut, tut."

Ewan: "Well, it is Walter's fault.  He says to talk.  There is one lady here I'd like you to meet."

Sterge/Jack: "Wait till I get good."
Ewan: "Oh, you are as good as you will ever be, now."

Sterge/Jack: "I want to make myself appeal."

Silence for a moment.

Ewan: "Well, why don't you talk?"

Sterge/Jack: "The reason is that's the extent of our conversation."

Miss Turner: "I got a letter from Jack Peterson the other day."

Sterge: "A letter you say, eh?  Good thing, eh?"

Ewan: "The boy is interesting."

Members of the group make a few remarks.

Ewan: "This is one of the most interesting conversations I have ever listened to."

Sterge/Jack: "Sparkling, witty, effervescent."

Ewan: "Talk!  Talk!  Talk! (Pounding his hands together).  I will put some authority into my tone."

Sterge/Jack: "Who is supposed to talk to me now?"

Ewan: "We did a little bit of work tonight."

Walter: "Shame, shame, shame!"

Ewan: "That's to you, Sterge."

Walter: "No, no, no; shame Ewan."

Ewan: "Who's Ewan?"

Walter: "You."

Ewan: "Nonsense."

Walter: "You forgot something tonight."

W. B. Cooper: "I forgot to number."

Walter: "It is wrong to forget.  Do it now."

Group number off.

Walter: "You are a good ... Something good to tell you."

Mrs. Hamilton: "Thanks very much."

Walter: "Tomorrow, tomorrow."

Ewan: "What's happened to Sterge?"

Sterge/Jack: "Nothing.  Among a group of dull people nothing ever happens."
Ewan: "I'd like to ask Sterge if he ever met Raymond."

Sterge/Jack: "Yes, I did."

Ewan: "Did you talk about Sterge?"

Sterge/Jack: "Well, he's a very interesting subject."

Ewan: "Exactly."

Sterge/Jack: "Such a fool."

Ewan: "Ask him if he ever met anybody else."

Walter: "Talk up!"

Ewan: "Well, it has been pretty cold tonight." (Laughter)

Lillian Hamilton: "You mean winter is coming."

Ewan: "Yes, there is no more summer."

Ellen: "Get your winter coal."

Sterge/Jack: "He didn't pay his last month's bill."

Ewan: "It is always me has to be such a fool."

Sterge/Jack: "No one would know that it is you."

Ewan: "Well, then, Sterge will never be a fool.  Sterge!"

Sterge/Jack: "Yes, yes."

Ewan: "Get up!  Get up!"

Sterge/Jack: "What for?  What for?"

Ewan: "I want you to meet a lady."

Sterge /Jack (jumping up): "Why didn't you say that at first?"

Ewan: "I just wanted them  to see the difference.  This is Sterge, Sister Lucy.  Take off your hat and shake hands with him."

Dawn: "She hasn't got a hat on."

Ewan: "Give him a kiss.  That's what he likes."  Kissing sound.

Sterge/Jack: "That's a fake.  It was something else."

Lucy: "Yes, it was me."

Ewan: "Well, it's nice and bright up there."

Sterge: "Why don't you bring some of it with you?"

Ewan: "If I did that, they'd see you."

Sterge: "Yes; I am most of the brightness up there and nine-tenths of the interest."

Ewan: "Well, well, you know."

Sterge: "Yes, I know."

Ewan: "I'd like that lady to speak to you.  I think it would do you good."

Sterge: "It always does me good to have ladies speak to me."

Ewan: "Sister, Sister Lucy!  Sister Lucy!"

Lucy: "Yes?"

Ewan: "Get up.  Get up.  Give me your hand."

Lucy is standing up.

Ewan: "This is not Walter.  I have nothing to do with him.  Now talk to Sterge.  Are you able to talk to Sterge?"

Lucy: "Yes, I can speak to him; but I don't think that there is anything very much that I can say to him.  He is going to be a wonderful worker for this group.  He knows such a lot, and he doesn't speak about it."

Ewan: "Go on, go on, talk, talk."

Lucy: "There is something very special that is going to take place and he and Raymond will be in it.  Walter is just watching."

Sterge: "That's right."

Lucy: "He wishes me to say something about the earlier part of the sitting.  Now listen very attentively.  You know that all he does is for a purpose, at least you should know that by this time.  He is only trying with this medium and the other one, Ewan, an experiment that may take a little time to bring to perfection.  When the time is come, he will give you a picture of the medium being levitated."

W. B. Cooper: "With contact?"

Lucy: "With contact."

Walter/Ewan: "Without contact."

Lucy: "I could not just get what he said."

Walter: "I don't know whether with ectoplasm ... is that right?  Ectoplasmic contact.  There will have to be more alterations, but that will take place.  The other thing that he is working on in the meantime is the important thing.  This other is only an experiment.  Don't build too much on it.  Don't think too much of it because it may not come.  It requires a lot and he in his own good time will tell you.  He is trying to do it through Ewan and Dawn.  Although Dawn was removed to the back of the room, it was through her it happened.  I wish you to know that for a certain reason.  Is there anything that you would like to ask me?"
W. B. Cooper: "Will the levitation be horizontal or perpendicular?"

Lucy: "It is too early to know that.  I miss someone here tonight."

W. B. Cooper: "Dr. Hamilton."

Lucy: "Oh, my good friend."

W. B. Cooper: "He is down in New York."

Lillian Hamilton: "He was here with the medium when she was levitated last Saturday night?"

Lucy: "I was there; I was standing by.  There!  The psychic light.  It is there now.  Do you not all see it?"

W. B. Cooper asks about the light that was seen the last time.  Lucy begins to sing "Nearer My God to Thee"

Ewan: "Up, up."

Walter: "Don't touch her.  Let her down.  Let her down."

Ewan: "Dawn, Dawn, Dawn!"

Walter: "Let her down.  You must never touch her when she is in the air.  Remember, no one must touch her.  When you are asked to put your hands forward, it is all right, but not unless you are asked.  You must not grip her.  It will be detrimental to her if you do.  You may touch her gently."

When we break, let no one else through.  We are doing a wonderful ... I would say we are doing well.  Everyone has been wonderful, lovely, tonight.  Wonderful progress.  I have placed a good many supports to hold my materialization.  I need to get all the material together.  It is only in a few more sittings and then we shall be able to give you something that will be worthwhile.  You will have patience, I know.  It is wonderful.  We have not perhaps done very much as some might think if they were just spectators, but I can assure you that it is good work we are doing, and to keep you all fussing and laughing is good.  Everything is in its place.  Goodnight, friends."

W. B. Cooper: "Put on the top light."

Walter: "Don't put on the light at all until a few minutes after you have broken as Sister Lucy is still under.  You can break."

W. B. Cooper: "Break."

Mr. Reed: "He hasn't said 'so long'."

Walter: "I said break.  Break!  I will say that afterwards."

W. B. Cooper: "Dr. Jim, would you take the towel as I don't want to put my hands in the cabinet?"

Ewan: "Don't touch me.  Don't touch me."

10:35 p.m.        Walter: "So long."

Red light is turned on.

Ewan: "What you speak?"

Lillian Hamilton: "Ewan, Harry.  You are right here, Harry."

Ewan: "That's right.  Yes, I am all right.  Where's Mercedes?"

Lillian Hamilton: "She is all right, Harry."

Ewan: "I am in such a muddle."

Mrs. Marshall: "Who buttoned up my gown?"

W. B. Cooper: "Stay out of the cabinet."

Group begins to go out of the room when Dawn says, "Look in the cabinet.  See the light.  It's like a line of light."

Some of the sitter's claim to see the psychic light.


November 26, 1929

Letter from Sir Oliver Lodge re the Raymond teleplasm.

Note to L.H.

My "Grandfather" was Raymond's maternal grandfather (See Raymond) (Is this from a relative of Lodge?)

Sir Oliver in error in putting credence in cross-evidence - he had no reliable medium at this time in England.                

The Raymond teleplasmic likeness bears its own inner scientific testimony.

                                                        
                                                Normanton House,
Lake Salisbury,
 November, 1929

My Dear Sir,

"I thank you kindly for sending me prints of the curious photographs taken in your laboratory by means of an extensive battery of cameras.  You certainly deserve to get results from the trouble and expense which you must have incurred.

"I have seen the Spurgeon reproduction as published previously and was struck with it.

"The Raymond likeness you now send is quite a reasonably good one and seems in accordance with Walter's testimony.  It is, as you say, not the same photograph but a face very much like it ... The weak point is that Raymond has never told me that he is making an attempt to get through in this way.  If he does hereafter it would add to the value of the evidence.

"I have had a cable from the BROOKLYN EAGLE as follows: IS HAMILTON ECTOPLASMIC PICTURE THAT OF RAYMOND AND AUTHENTIC.  CABLE REPLY.  BROOKLYN EAGLE.  O'NEILL.

"I hesitated to reply to a newspaper but as you do not seem averse from publicity I thought it best to send a non-committal answer as follows:

"Raymond likeness probable.  Authenticity unknown.  Lodge.

"Second hand testimony at a distance of 3000 miles would be absurd ...

        "With renewed thanks and congratulations on your energy,

                        I am,
                        Yours faithfully,
                                (Signed)  Oliver Lodge


November 27, 1929.

Present: L. H.;  Mrs. H. Shand;  Jack MacDonald;  H. A.V. Green;  W. E. Hobbes recorder.

9:08 p.m. R. L. Stevenson comes through.

R. L. Stevenson: "Do you know, "My Mary's Asleep By the Stream?"  

All sing.

"The keeper of the deer had a bonny wee cottage and they had the brawest wee baby that ever you did see.  The mither of the keeper had an old plaid shawl around it and played the guid angel to the wee one."

"It was not a deer park by cultivation; it was a deer park by natural conditions.  The deer were there.  It made superb hunting for the King's horse.  It was right in the season when I was there.  The Stags had their horns ... no velvet about their horns.  The winsome stag was no longer ... he was the ... stag."

"Near the place was an old castle, no, a great castle. (Interruption) ... Hard by yon Deer Park was a great place for rabbit.  When the snow was on the ground, it was a good place for the villagers to poach.  Poaching was the unpardonable sin in a sportsman's life."

"It was no' far from this place to a smart wee cove where you could pull in with your sailing boat.  You came up on a semi-circular beach.  The beach was only a few yards wide and ascended very steeply to the land above.  In the first 15 yards or more there was no grass, nothing but a stony cliff.  Above that were fibrous roots and trees sticking out of shale, and further on the soil was a firmer texture, with grass and with stunted trees, while further on the trees were bigger and the grass thicker.  Stones here and there through the grass."

"On top of all this you could view the scene, white sails in the distance like gulls on the horizon; these often were fishermen's boats, together, seldom alone ... The old man was there with a fowling piece.  "Suicide walk" they called it.  Many smugglers had been killed.  You could push them off far below.  You could no get down by any other way; that was the advantage of it ..."

The story breaks off.


November 29, 1929.

Walter/M. M.  "I am building a good many supports to hold my 
materializations."


December 1, 1929.                

Mrs. Poole; L. H.; Mercedes; H. A. V. Green; Victor; Eileen MacTavish (Sec.); Ewan; Victor; H. A. Reed; Ada Turner; Dawn; J. A. Hamilton; W. E. Hobbes.

Statement:         

Walter/Mary M.        

The "form" will be nearly as large as Mary M.  (See "Lucy" teleplasm, March 10, 1930)

The "form" will be an imitation - a mechanical affair of some kind.  (See "Lucy" teleplasm, March 10, 1930)

[First Lucy]

Walter: (referring to coming materialization)  "Pull the string and the figure will stand.  Not quite as large as Dawn but pretty nearly."

"Pull the string and the figure will stand", thus implying that the figure would be not biologically perfect but a molded or mechanical model of some kind.  Also: "The figure will not be as large as Dawn but pretty nearly."

Ewan entranced groans in apparent distress while Mercedes is levitated.  Dr. J. A. Hamilton says her head was above his shoulder (he was seated), and that when he felt her feet he judged them  to be about 2 feet above the floor.  Her body was levitated in a horizontal position.  Walter made an important prediction re the coming materialization: "Pull the string and the figure will stand, not quite as large as Dawn, but pretty nearly."

(This suggests that the 'figure' will have a mechanical aspect.)


December 4, 1929

Speaks before Nurses' Alumni Association - Manitoba Medical College - around 230 present.


December 9, 1929

[Letter from Dr. Hamilton to Mr. Bird.]

"Dr. Hamilton has a cold and cannot visit with the Birds - did not get one-quarter done that he had hoped to do - also a lecture engagement with Alumni Nurses in Winnipeg called him home.

"Thanks for publishing series of articles on Elizabeth and Mary M. - First installment shortly after the new year.

"During two of the last sittings we had what we have every reason to believe is a case of genuine levitation of one of the auxiliary mediums.  Hope to verify via photography in the future."


December 9, 1929.                        

Usual Elizabeth visions and scripts.  Walter says that Dr. J. A. Hamilton is henceforth to be called "Hamish", meaning "strong" and "dependable."  

Ewan deeply entranced, under great strain, gasping, groaning and breathing deeply.

December 10, 1929

Portage la Prairie Kiwanis Club.


December 11, 1929.

Present:  J. MacDonald;  L. H.;  W. E. Hobbes, recording.

Rain in Samoa

9:50 p.m. R. L. Stevenson comes through.

R. L. Stevenson: "Perth ... there is a castle there; it is going to ruin, but it was a great castle.  Old Scotland has a lot of romance, one of the most romantic countries in the world.  I was studying that at one time ... about Scottish Chiefs, no great men, you know, but romantic."

Someone remarks about Scott recording these romantic figures.

R. L. Stevenson: "Aye; and he wrote a book about the Chiefs, "Scottish Chiefs".  No a biography, but about the time.  But I went south.  I found a lot of pretty fine people.  There was a good servant.  They put a man on a pedestal and almost created an idol of Baal again.  Sometimes I called them together when I was wanting to speak to them.  He was my personal servant ... like a cat.  He did my cooking."

Control tries to give servants name; gets terribly excited.  Sitters calm him and he promises to try and not get excited and angry.

R. L. Stevenson: "Funny raft he had.  He had an instrument with a broad blade shaped like a blade of grass, only bigger; it could go in!  The 'boys' were his servants.  They had a raft, no an ordinary raft - a queer arrangement like bits of a boat tied together in a lot of pieces loosely assembled.  They stood on it and came in with the waves.  What greenery!  What people!"  

"You whites, what have you done! Ye have stripped the very wings off the angels!  I love them still but they are badly plucked now.  Anglo-Saxons have taken everything from them from the sky ... they will be taking data from them soon.  No wonder the Garden of Eden was spoilt.  Can you get anything more like the Garden of Eden than those flowers, the waves and the sky and trees and the wee bits of white sand!  And the turtles!  With their heavy eyes, laying their eggs in the sand and crawling back to the sea.  Moonlight Islands of the sea!  All the colors of the sapphire ... God, it was lovely!  It is different there now."

"I've found better health because I found a better people - a better land.  It was like heaven.  There was no serpent there.  You could ..."


December 15, 1929.

Ada Turner; Dawn; T. G. H.; Ewan; H. A. Reed; J. A. Hamilton; L. H..; Eileen MacTavish; (Sec.); Victor; J. MacDonald.

Mercedes is levitated, and her voice is heard near the ceiling.  

Through Jack MacDonald, Stead states that Ewan will also be levitated.  About a half hour later Ewan was levitated about 1 foot above the floor.  Lillian Hamilton passes her hand under Ewan's feet, which are floating free.  He seems to be standing upright in the air.  

This levitation lasts for several seconds. He was under tremendous stress, panting and groaning.  

Both  Dr. T. G. H. and  Dr. J. A. Hamilton confirmed these levitations by touching the mediums.


December 19, 1929.                        

J. M.;  Mrs. H. Shand;  T. G. H.;  L. H.; Hobbes, recording.

Samoa.

R. L. Stevenson comes at once: "We've been having a good time while you (T. G. H.) were away.  We were at Samoa  and we are going back there tonight.  Put both feet ( Jack MacDonald's) flat and square on the floor."

Lillian H. remarks on a lady to his right, Bessy Shand.
R. L. Stevenson: "She is a petal of the old flower. (Mrs. Shand is a daughter of Elizabeth M., whom Walter calls Ellen of the rosebuds.)  She's all right."

T. G. H.: "You should have the pipes."

R. L. Stevenson: "I could no' play on them.  I could just sough through them.  I am no piper.  They would put me out of Scotland if I try to play them.  I was a wee pretender; I could no' play."

A talk now on tossing the caber.  Then the conversation shifts to the Scotch dialect and R. L. Stevenson's use of it in communication.

R. L. Stevenson: "I am going to give you a talk like an Englishman.  Dialogue is just to start on.  It is dialect when you are learning a language first.  I will use dialect when I go out again.  If you will watch your others you will find that there are three distinct attitudes; the first and the last are the same but the middle one is different."

"We were discussing Lisbeth, this Lisbeth, but there have been others too.  I know several Lisbeths.  Some are better than others.  Some are ... I am going to give you a recess now; I am going away.  I am coming back."  

(9:10 p.m.)

Sterge control follows.  R. L. Stevenson back at 9:55 p.m. He whimsically pretended that he was taking  L. H. on a ship with him: "We will leave the doctor behind.  He's no good.  I'll maybe take him after all, but in the capacity of a paying guest.  We had better go now."

"Samoa is a group of islands in the Pacific Ocean, hidden away from the eagle eyes of the great conquerors of the world.  For centuries they have been the well, undefiled and unpolluted, springs of beauty, the cave of the five Muses. ( Not what I wanted to say, but better than nothing ...We will perhaps get it yet.)  These foot prints of God in the Pacific, footprints unsullied, untrammeled prints, bearing the magic touch of the Creator, burst into bloom behind him.  He saw the footprints growing green the flowers, and He said, 'I will put a blameless people here; there will be a Kingdom of Heaven on Earth.'  And man came, a darker image of God, united with the dust out of which he was born.  My islands!  You cannot take them away from me now!  You can shape the ... machines everywhere, but you can no' take away my islands!  They are disrupting the Temple of God, that's what they're doing!  They're putting other idols ..."
                                

December 19, 1929.

"A long time ago living on these islands was one Geglow.  He had a Kingdom there beside the sea.  He had a Kingdom right up through the boundary."

"Father Neptune, as a challenge, set up.  One Geglow saw father Neptune advance into his kingdom and his daily retreat.  He said, 'That is the sea breathing; it is a big animal asleep.  He is a great being asleep.  He breathes once and then not again for a long time.'  It was one Geglow's faith.  It was a simple idea; and faith, after all, is not a simple idea. You are coming away from faith when you drag in more than a simple idea.  Every drop of an idea in the faith makes it that much weaker.  One Geglow had simple faith."

"Situated on the south side of the islands was a bay closed in a bit by the shore; no' a great bay, just a moderately small bay."

R. L. Stevenson: "I split my interest tonight.  Have been doing other things and I'm tired.  I best be going and give the French lad his turn."

R. L. Stevenson and Sterge appeared to merge personalities for a moment.


December 22, 1929.                

Victor; H. A. Reed; Ewan; Ada Turner; Eileen MacTavish and W. E. Hobbes (Secs.); T. G. H.; Mercedes; Dawn.

Dawn (entranced): "Oh!  The lights!  See!  They're coming around!!"

The group sing.  Ewan, entranced, requests that Mercedes sit on the table.  She does so, while entranced.
Lillian Hamilton: "I feel a very cold breeze."

T. G. H.: "She is rising!  Her feet are rising.  Now they are level with Mr. Reed's and my hands.  Now she is lying flat on the table.  Now she's rising!  Up! - up!"

Ewan: "Come, come; it is too hard."

T. G. H.: "She's rising, rising!  Her feet are away above my head. Now they are down level with my shoulder.  They're standing her straight up in the air.  Her head is on the floor."

Lillian Hamilton: "Her head is bathed in perspiration."  Ewan is

 under great stress.  The table suddenly levitates.

Ewan: "I will keep it down; keep it down!  There!"  The table hits the floor with a bang.  A few moments later Lucy, through Mercedes, says: "Mercedes has had enough.  She can sit down now in her chair.  It would be better if she took off her outer woolen garment (sweater)".

Walter closes the meeting.

[This photo shows the corner of the room with some of the cameras shown as well as some of the fuses and wiring as well as the rheostat  (probably for the control of the overhead red light).]

[ Photo of cameras used at this time ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo of text with cameras ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo of phonograph used in seance room ]


[ Photo of electrical hookups for the seances ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo - showing clos-up of magnesium flash apparatus ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo - showing box enclosure and receptacle for magnesium ]

(Further note by Lillian Hamilton)

Some years later, in 1936, in a meeting where Dawn was absent, the medium was Isabella Farquhar; Mrs. Wither; Mr. Wither; Reverend W. T.  Wood.  Mr. Wither was also levitated.  I personally passed my hands under his feet, and found both feet to have been raised about 6 inches above the floor.  At the time he was in a semi-trance state; and both before and throughout the levitation groaned and moaned as if in deep bodily distress.  At that time Mr. Wither weighed about 200 pounds.  He was standing erect when the levitation took place.  


December 29, 1929.                

Mrs. Poole; L. H.; Dawn; Ada Turner; Victor; Ewan; H. A. Reed; Mercedes; W. E. Hobbes (Sec.); J. A. Hamilton; John MacDonald; T. G. H.; E. J. Dwyer (guest).

Statement:         

Walter/Mary M.        

A "funny" phenomena and will appear at the next sitting.  (See hand imitation of Jan(?)...)

Supernormal Cognizance: (controls tell what is on the plates 
before they are developed.)

A funny picture promised.

9:06 p.m.        
Usual  E.M. trance writing and visions from 9:06 p.m. to 9:36 p.m.

9:36 p.m.        We sing Spurgeon's hymn "There Is a Fountain".  

Dawn, still under control, asks us to sing "Towards the Hills the Sun Is Setting".  We do not know it.  

Dawn Sings:

                "O'er the hills the sun is setting
                And the evening is drawing on.
                Slowly drops the gentle twilight
                For another day is gone.
                Gone for aye; its race is over
                Soon the darker shadows come
                Still 'tis sweet to know at even
                We are one day nearer home.
                        Nearer Home, Beautiful Home.
                        Nearer Home, heavenly Home."

"Yes, sings a sailor as he glides the waters o'er, to the green fields and the mountains of his native shore,

                'It is sweet to know at evening
                We are one day nearer home - blessed home'!"

"Good evening, friends.  I am very glad to be with you tonight and to say God bless you, my brother and my sister.  In My Father's House are many mansions - and small homes, too.  Go ye into all the world and tell them  and do not be afraid.  Jesus lives!  And because He lives you shall live also.  There is no death.  Go you out into all the world.  Goodnight."

10:40 p.m.   Group number, W. B. Cooper saying "one" and Dawn "twelve".

Group sing Walter's song "Jingle Bells."

9:45 p.m.        Walter: "Good evening.  Go on singing.  You haven't had your special things that I asked for."

T. G. H.: "We can't get them till the holiday season is over."

Walter: "Damn holidays.  There shouldn't be anything to interfere with this work."

T. G. H.: "How many special meetings do you want?"

Walter: "I might want one or a hundred and one.  I don't know ... the large group impossible. (For special work apparently).  I won't interfere with your larger group, but I would like to have that group that I had before.  I will try to give you a picture at your next sitting; have your cameras ready.  I am going to give you something funny.  It will be a small picture; can't give you the other till we have these

(special) sitting.  A small picture just to keep you in good humor.  I am already.  I will give you something real funny. (Laughs).  I'll get it for you; I have just thought of it."

[See notes and picture of hand plasm of January 5, 1930.]

T. G. H.: "Is the medium's dress alright tonight, Walter?"

Walter: "I think it is alright but she has just a little bit too much underneath (as the night was very cold she was allowed to retain a thin undergarment.  L. H. and Ada Turner).  It's all right, but when I'm taking the picture have just the one garment.  It's quite becoming - oh yes, it's quite becoming. (Medium is wearing a new dress cut on decollette lines).  She does not require to remove her garments (underwear) at the special sittings - just the outer ones.  Leave her arms and shoulders bare at the special sittings.  I would like her feet to be bare if possible; she has heavy boots on now; (true).  It is much better for her not to have anything on that she wears in the street."

T. G. H.: "Is the street contaminated?"

Walter: "There is a condition brought in from the street that is rather difficult to use."

T. G. H.: "Because of the other people?"

Walter: "Yes."

T. G. H.: "Is that why in the olden days they had to remove their shoes - Moses for instance?"

Walter: "I didn't live then.  You will find that when Moses went into the temple he left his shoes off.  I would also like to ask her to wash the soles of her feet; it would help greatly.  You may think that these things are not necessary, but they are. (Walter made it clear that it is not because the medium was not cleanly - the washing had something to do with the "chemistry" of "force".   Note by L. H.)

T. G. H.: "Did you get any further word of the other face with Raymond Lodge?"

Walter: "I will try and get this information."

T. G. H.: "About his grandfather, William?"

Walter: "I don't know anything more about it; he said it was his grandfather.  I only know that he ( Raymond) brought him with him when the picture (of the grandfather) was taken.  Stand here."

W. B. Cooper: "What's that?'

Walter: "I was just asking Black Hawk to stand here."

10:02 p.m.        "Canned music.".

10:05 p.m. to 10:20 p.m.        Excitement stage.  Dawn bangs hands on table;  Ewan moves hands and legs about.

10:20 p.m.   Walter speaks again: "Dead music!  I heard a preacher once say (Spurgeon) 'Put a little heart in it; a little life.'"  The "Canned music" is turned off and group sing a song.

Experiment now with Mercedes and Ewan.  Dawn leaves her chair and makes passes over Mercedes' face and neck.  Mercedes's hands suddenly put in Ewan's hands.

[Raymond's maternal grandfather.  See book "Raymond" for portrait.  The photo was found to resemble Raymond's maternal grandfather.]

Walter: "I would like, friends, if you would try and have our room a little colder.  It is very difficult for us to work under these conditions. (The room was unusually hot - probably about 78F).  Have the room about 56F at the most.  You will be surprised to see how good it will be for everybody; it will help along the photographs. (The materialization).  We have done good work tonight, although it may have seemed nothing."

Walter: "I am going to give you something funny.  It will be a small picture (materialization).  A small picture just to keep you in good humor (laughs).  I have just thought of it.

T. G. H.: "Is this a picture or a form?" (The one next week)

Walter: "I will not tell you.  It is part of the body.  (See notes and picture of plasm of January 5, 1930 - the hand).  It might be a toe or perhaps a nose; just whatever I can get.  I am going to look for it.  It will be funny ... ha, ha! It might well cause great surprise ... it might be an eye, and it might be a tooth, and it might be a monkey ... a cloven hoof, or it might be a rose ... a real, perfumed rose.  Wouldn't that be nice?"

T. G. H.: "How about Mercedes' necklace?  Did you do it?" (Remove it)

Walter: "How would you do it ... just do it.  I used Dawn to do it ... that was that little black imp (Dawn's Indian control).  I haven't seen her for a long time. (excitedly) Don't bring her here! Sing!  Sing!"

Walter now works on Ewan.  Much by-play.  Sterge appears to J. MacDonald, and Ewan - after sitters have gone out - Ewan gives Sterge's real name - says it is Debussy.


December 31, 1929


Letter from YMCA in Winnipeg - thanks for agreeing to give a series of lectures on Sunday mornings.  Beginning the first Sunday in 1930 at  9:15am.