1929 - Jan 6 - Mar 10

1929

Jan 6 - Mar 10


January 6, 1929.

9:15 p.m., meeting begins.

Usual  E.M.  trance automatisms.  At 9:35 p.m.  E.M.  leaves the cabinet and gives her story.  Mary M. takes the center of the cabinet.  T. G. H. opens the cameras.  Mary M. feels someone pulling her hair.  E.M. and W. B. Cooper see Walter in the cabinet.  E.M. goes on with her vision-story.

We ask who is speaking but get no answer.

At 9:53 p.m. the direct voice says, "Good evening.  It is very difficult for me.  Each one brings a new force."

Walter: "Give us a little canned music."  Mary M. starts to clog.  The bell rings many times, keeping time to the music.

Walter: "Stand back!  Stand back, I say!  No!  No!  Sing a hymn."

The hymn is sung.

Walter: "I have a very important picture.  I will not take it tonight; I'm afraid there will be interfering forces; they have got in and I can't get them out.  It is impossible.  I want it right.  I am sorry that I was late in getting here.  I had other important work to do and could not get here.  There are many dark people here; I do not want them  to take any part of my medium.  If they do, put water on her; do not let them .  This is important; a final test."

T. G. H.: "Can't Spurgeon control these people?"

Walter: "If you wish.  He is anxious to pray ... those black devils! I do not like prayer and hymns.  It will take too much power.  I have power to answer questions.  Put them  now."

Guest: "What part do you take in the work?"

Walter: "I am only the instrument of those who are putting these pictures across.  I am just maneuvering or engineering it. Oh!  The devil!  Oh, pardon me!  All right.  I'll keep them  back!  Oh!"

Guest: "Can we do nothing here to help you?"

Walter: "It is you who are bringing them.  Would anyone wish to have any rings before I close the bell?"

Guest: "Give three short and a long."  (Walter does so).

Mr. Hobbes: "Give two shorts and two long." (These are given.)

T. G. H.: "Did you make the bell ring after we left the room at the last sitting?"
Walter: "No, someone else did."

T. G. H.: "It was ringing for several minutes." (Séance door was shut and locked).

Walter: "They were interfering with something they knew

nothing about.  Take the other box, the first one, away this week.  Do you want to know why one box is being taken down?  It's no use."

Mr. Leslie: "Give us the letter "B" in the Morse code."

The bell rings a little tingle, a long ring, and three short.

T. G. H.: "Is that right?"

Mr. Leslie: "It's a dash and three dots."

Walter: "I gave it, a dash and three dots."

Mr. Leslie: "Might we be able to communicate that way?"

Walter: "No.  My machine is not built that way.  It often gives a rebound and it must be clear for the Morse Code."

Mr. Phillips: "Give me three short and two long."

Walter: "You had that already." Nine long rings are given, then three long, both on request.
Walter: "Black Hawk is here, but he must not control my medium tonight."

T. G. H.: "Any precautions?"

Walter: "I will take every precaution.  I was to blame myself.  I left a channel open.  I will close it.  Sing!"

The bell keeps time to the music.

T. G. H.: "Ring for Mrs. Phillips."

Walter: "I am always delighted to do anything for the ladies."

Mrs. Phillips: "Four long and five short." (bell gives these.)

Walter: "Were those long enough and short enough?  Break for a little time and then disperse as quickly as possible."


January 7, 1929

Psychic Research

The illustrated address given on this most interesting subject by Dr. T. G. Hamilton was continued Monday night at the meeting of the forum of King Memorial Church before a large attendance.  Among other slides, Dr. Hamilton showed photographs of faces seen in ectoplasm, and developed since he last addressed the forum.  The lecturer particularly stressed his belief that the facts which are being acquired by psychic research supported the Christian doctrine of a future life - of survival, reunion and progress.  At the close, a number of questions were put.  In the course of the evening solos were contributed by Mrs. J. Brown.


January 10, 1929.

Statement:        

Walter/Dawn        

"Direct Voice" speaks.  Calls for flash light.  States that plates will show a teleplasm "talking machine."

(Dark teleplasm attached to medium's left ear and neck - shows trumpet-like compartments.)


January 20, 1929.

 Disintegrating - Scientifically VERY important.

Statement:        

Walter/Dawn        

Thinks delay in firing flash has injured phenomenon.

(Teleplasm and Spurgeon face.  Dawn's head and eyes show disintegration.)

9:05 p.m..  Meeting opens.

The singing begins after a couple of minutes of jocular conversation.  Deep trance at 9:12 p.m..  Automatic writing from 9:13 p.m. to 9:21 p.m..  At 9:25 p.m.  E.M.  moves out of the cabinet to her place between  T. G. H. and  W. B. Cooper.  At 9:26 p.m. T. G. H. opens the cameras.

E.M. then relates her trance visions: 

"I got Steve, but he's only a little boy.  Five or six other children dressed like for a game.  This was in an old city.  Then I got him a young man.  Two of them  sitting on a long stool outside, talking.  Dressed in a kind of uniform."

"I got Livie.  He had a great big open meeting, open air.  He was standing on a box preaching, blacks around; some of them  had nothing at all on them .  I got Stead in a room, likely in his own house.  Lots of books on the shelves; a bronze figurine on the mantelpiece; a ship in the center.  I got Spurgeon right here beside me."

At 9:34 p.m., singing.  Mary M. begins to pound the table with her fist.

Walter: "I'm here because I'm here."

T. G. H.: "Well, we are glad you are here."

Walter: "I can't stay because I can't stay.  Well, what would you like?"

T. G. H.: "Another picture."

Walter: "If I gave you a picture of all on this plane, would that satisfy you?"  I am very busy.  I'm going to put something over that will startle, not you sitters, but others.  I do not wish to use up my energy.  I am trying to give you a man who will be recognized, not the world over, but by many on the other side (Old World).  I'm trying with the help of your friends to give a fuller materialization and so you will bear with me.  It takes quite a little time.  You may think because we are here we can do everything straight away.  It takes time.  You know there is no time here. (Aside).  All right!  Now I can go ahead!"

At 9:45 p.m. music on.

Walter: "You won't recognize your medium when I am through with her.  We've got to photograph her in the cabinet and then have someone swear it is her. Just leave him (referring to H. Green who appears to be in distress).  I'll look after him.   Sh!  Sh!"  (Green's feet and hands go automatically.)

T. G. H.: "Do you want 'Golden Slippers' or do you want hymns?"

Walter: "I don't want hymns."
"Now we won't be long.  I like a Jew's harp. (Listening to record).  I'm trying to make one.  I'd like to bring one here and play it myself."

T. G. H.: "Got any Jews there?"

Walter: "Sure, where would we put them ? There is a few Scotch here too.  But they are all one color over here."

By this time everyone's feet are keeping time to the music.

Walter: "Our friend (Spurgeon) doesn't like it.  He is walking up and down and praying for you with a smile that won't come off.  He says you are the salt of the earth.  You're not to put your light under a bushel but place it where all can see.  He says not to be afraid.  You are doing fine."

Walter: "Why don't you tell other people; make them  believe it. There is too much nonsense on the material plane.  But as they come over now there is a great number who are much easier to help than before. They are anxious, very anxious to let their friends know that they are still living and yet the friends are crying and weeping."  

"Yes, Houdini is putting something over.  He is going to assist. ... He is working very hard.  So am I.  He is trying very hard to communicate ... How many people have you really convinced? (Referring to the "work".)  (To Lillian Hamilton) "I think you are the only one who is really convinced (of survival).  You are the only one who really gets it ..."
"Everybody wants their photo taken but I'm not the chooser."

T. G. H.: "Who chooses?"

Walter: "W. T. S ... if your friends will not cooperate it is not possible for us to give you their pictures."

T. G. H.: "Does personality come into touch with the ectoplasm?"

Walter: "How could I give their pictures else? It is no picture.  It is them .  I must produce the ectoplasm to cover their brilliancy."

T. G. H.: "What about the smallness of their faces?"

Walter: "Can you put a full-sized face on a four-inch paper?  You don't make any allowances for us at all. If I gave a full-sized face, would that convince people?  I am going to give you a full-sized one by and by; when all are convinced we will come and walk and talk with you. I have been working although I am talking to you.  Have you any other questions?  Those at the back are half asleep.  I think you should get them  a pillow."

T. G. H.: "Where is the medium when you are using her?"

Walter: "She is here.  I am in her.  I have given her an anesthetic.  Trance is not properly speaking like anesthesia; in a sense we use it ... I just use her organism; I come into it; that is the best explanation I can give.  Just like the subconscious mind - lots of things you can't explain."
T. G. H.: "Is there such a thing as an elemental?  Do they exist?"

Walter: "Why are you all so tense?  Sing!"  I didn't get any questions from the gallery."

Whittaker: "Would a second circle at the back help?"

Walter: "It is quite all right.  It is only when there are photos that is really matters.  The more power the better, but not in the case of photos.  I have certain instruments that interferences are likely to upset.  By and by when things are all established it will not matter.  I prepare the ectoplasm; the others (W. T. S) group do the rest. They had all of the background prepared for many years.  They just couldn't get a good mechanic."

Walter: "All right.  All right!  It's just the power weakening.  You all get so tense.  Sing!"

Mary M. passes left hand of  J. A. Hamilton over her face.  W. B. Cooper's right hand is passed over her face also, and both declare that they find nothing on her face. (Medium's hands not released by them  during examination).  Mary M. and Mr. Green appear to be under great strain."

Walter: "When we have taken the flash I don't wish anyone else to come through the medium.  I am not sure whether I want one flash or more.  I think one will be sufficient.  We will not use up too much gunpowder."

Walter: "Get ready! Sing a verse; I'll count three, then one second, wait to give the others a chance to move, and then fire!  Then, after you have closed the camera, wait for one minute, then break.  If the medium is taking on another control, raise her to her feet and turn on the red light slowly.  I will stand by and try to prevent that; when the flash is taken to cord is broken."

We sing one verse and start the chorus of "Clementine."  Walter breaks in excitedly: "You didn't do what I said; now you can't have a picture. I was ready.  You were not even ready to stop the second time (meaning the chorus).  We will try again.  I will not speak; I will move my foot, then wait one second."

One, two, three taps of Mary M.'s foot. (T. G. H. does not hear the third and so does not fire quickly).

Walter: "It's almost in; I don't think there will be anything.  It's almost into her head.  It's all right.  Break please.  Take the medium's hands.  Light please."

T. G. H. closes the cameras.

Third Spurgeon likeness.  Flash light electrical apparatus fails to work for seven minutes.  Flash shows face-form disintegrating.  Although the face is breaking up the eyes still manifest a living quality.

Proof here that these teleplasmic forms were biologically unstable.  They are born to 
live for a few moments only.



[ Photo of third Spurgeon ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


January 27, 1929.

Re Spurgeon and his task.

T. G. H. Gives His Own Signal

Walter is critical.

Usual  E.M.  manifestations.  Arthur Hamilton appears to  E.M.  In a vision. (Anniversary of Arthur's death.)

9:13 p.m..        Singing:         "Unto the Hills"
9:16 p.m..        Singing:        "The Lord Is My Shepherd"
9:20 p.m..        E.M.  writing
9:22 p.m..        E.M.  second writing.
9:23 p.m..        W. B. Cooper reports of light over Mary M..
9:26 p.m..        Stead shakes hands with T. G. H..
9:27 p.m..        Blows on cabinet to left a medium.
9:28 p.m..        E.M.  writing.  T. G. H. asks: "Does Stead want to           talk?"
9:30 p.m..        Spurgeon talking - "In My Father's House Are Many             Mansions."
9:33 p.m..        More writing
9:35 p.m..        E.M.  sees the boy Arthur.  She calls him to come.            He is trying to speak.  He has a little trumpet blowing.
9:35 p.m.        E.M.  coming back.
9:36 p.m..        Open cameras.  Walter/Mary M. says, "Please sing 
         something quickly. We sing "Come To the Savior;           Make No Delay, etc.

Walter/Mary M. says, "Thank you, my friends."
9:40 p.m.        E.M.  gives trance visions. First sees R. L. S. says (Something about taking herring out of the water. They had a great big net.  It was a little village; a good many men with longboats walking in the water.) The rest indecipherable.

"Standing near.  R. L. S. was not dragging the net."

Second vision.  "A bunch of children 7 or 8 or 9 years old.  R. L. S. was there ... as one of the children.  They were by a big house.  They were not at the door but at the side kind of ... having a good time."

Third vision.  "I saw Livingstone some.  He was all dressed up ... with the Queen he must have been.  She looked quite young.  Livingstone was all dressed in black and had yellow around his cap.  So I left him with the Queen.  There were others standing near but I was not drawn to them ."

Fourth vision.  "I saw Stead going down in the boat ... there were some in the water hanging on but he was on the big boat.  He was not getting into a little boat.  He was singing.  Others were hanging onto ropes and things.  He was not getting into a little boat.  It was near ... on the water I guess."

Fifth vision.  "I saw Spurgeon.  He is right here and now ... indicating him to her front left.  I saw another ... he was lying in his crib.  I saw other people.  There are others around now."

9:48 p.m. singing "There Is a Fountain".  Bell ringing, continues for seven minutes.

Walter speaks: "Too tense - good evening."

T. G. H.: "Do you want some canned music?"

Walter: "Don't exert yourself.  Let us have some bottled music."

"Golden Slippers".  Bell ringing repeatedly.

Remark from Walter. "That's the bit I like.  Have you no one on center goal tonight?"

T. G. H.: "No.  Would you like someone there?"

Walter: "Oh, no.  There is no picture tonight."

T. G. H.: "Oh, I'm sorry."

Walter: "You needn't be sorry."

T. G. H.: "We got a good one last week - one that teaches us something."

Walter: "Is there anything that will teach you anything?"

T. G. H.: "Oh, yes.  Once in a while."

Walter: "It's not 30 below?"

T. G. H.: "No."

9:56 p.m.

Walter: "Stand back now.  Stand back!" (Long pause).

9:58 p.m.

Stamping of feet on the floor. 'Golden Slippers' still playing..

9:59 p.m.

Stamping by Mary M.

10:00 p.m..

Walter: "Stop.  There is a vast multitude of people here."

T. G. H.: "What is your program for tonight, Walter?"

Walter: "I have two thousand horses ready but have you any one to ride them?" 

Science is moving but can you ride a horse?  You ask and ask and ask - but you have no men!  You have no one to ride the horse.  I am ready all the time but you have no men to ride my horse.  Science is moving but take care it does not swallow you up!  I have the horse, you get the men.  You are packing away and not making use of it.  I could ring the bell before a million people but you must tell them  that you know.  If you could produce the people who are willing, then we could produce the horses."

T. G. H.: "We are trying."

Walter: "Yes, I know you are trying, in a hole-in-the-corner fashion.  I am not blaming you personally.  You have not been strong enough.  You want to be strong; but some say the silver cord will break.  If you could only work with us as we could work with you!  You have put a little touch here and a little touch there - there are millions and millions in the world and all must be convinced.  But you must know yourself and be convinced!  Tell your people, your mother, your brother and your sister!  Get the young - the old are too stiff-necked."

"You are doing a great work."

T. G. H.: "Would you let young people into this room, for instance?"

Walter: "Yes.  Let them  see.  Those who are open will believe.  Let them  see - let them  come."

T. G. H.: "We shall soon have some pieces in the paper in the old country."

Walter: "Why the old country?  Why not the new country?  You cannot put new wine in old bottles."

T. G. H.: "We thought it the best place to publish it in the old country."

Walter: "The best place is right here where this is being done.  Oh people, people, people - it is very difficult.  It is very, very, very difficult.  Your minds are on one thing and one thing only.

T. G. H.: "What is that?"

Walter: "The program, the program."  

"You do not give yourselves over to us.  We will come to you and we will not hurt you.  One person in the cabinet allowing herself to be controlled is not enough.  I will not be satisfied until I can get everyone to give up to us.  But I will not leave; I will go on a little longer.  Friends, the way to do it is to forget yourselves and to let your mind be controlled by an entity from the other side.  Say, "Take my body, take care of me." We would not do to you any harm."  

"But there are forces that would do you harm; they are earth-bound.  There are no earth-bound who come here.  The earth-bound are near the Earth and they always find a resting-place with the evil.  Don't misunderstand me; I am not preaching. I can't express myself.  I cannot get through what I want to say.  Even this medium I can only take in certain ways.  Sing something!  Let us be lively."

"Twenty-five years ago the world saw that science must take a more prominent part.  Science got busy, and now science has gone so far that it is getting away."  
What is the greatest science in your world?"

T. G. H.: "War."

Walter: "Oh no."

T. G. H.: "Psychic ..."

Walter: "No."

T. G. H.: "What do you mean?"

Walter: "The science of chemistry.  Aren't there men today who do not dare to let it be known what they have discovered for fear of envy, hatred, lust, jealousy?

Walter: "You are all thinking 'What is the program tonight'. What are you going to do next.  What would you like ...?"

T. G. H.: "Pictures."

Walter: "I told you, no picture tonight.  I have the horses ready for the rider - but where is the rider?"

T. G. H.: "How about Barney?"

Walter: 

"He fulfills a small part of the work, but he has gone away from it - he is interested in a small part, but he does not want to give himself.  He sits aside and listens instead of acting.  You sit and talk (as a group) instead of sitting quiet.  You do not give yourselves over to us.  If we catch you, you say 'Something touched me' instead of sitting quiet.  You shouldn't look for us.  We will come to you and we will not hurt your.  You are wasting your time - but though time does not affect us.  I have a lot to do and it is a waste - one person in the cabinet allowing herself to be controlled is not enough.  I will not be satisfied until I can get every one to give up to us.  But I will not leave you.  I will go on a little longer."

"In my world things have changed.  If I come back to visit relatives and friends I would propose ..."

T. G. H.: "Publication of pictures and work ..."

Walter: "Yes, but you reach only a small circle."

T. G. H.: "Yes, but put out right way ... "

Walter: "You reach only a few.  You cannot be convinced unless you can see for yourself."

T. G. H.: "Can all become clairvoyant?"

Walter: "Every one.  Go, go, go.  Why should it be given to one and not to another?  Why cannot you see for yourself, and not ask her?"  (T. G. H. had spoken to  E.M. ) 

"Friends, the way to do it is to forget yourself and to let your mind be controlled by the entity on the other side."

"These two can sit alone and see - but not here, not here.  But people are different.  We shall see.  You would ask others to believe but you don't believe yourself.  All can be clairvoyant.  One says 'I can see a light, or feel a touch.'  Don't say anything."  "Sing something."

10:25 p.m.  "There Is a Land That Is Fairer Than Day, and by Faith You Can See It afar."

Walter: "Can you see it afar?  Have you the faith to see ...?"

10:27 p.m.

"Golden Slippers."

Walter: "Somebody says "A man's a Man for all that."

T. G. H.: "Walter, do you see the boys at the back?"

Walter: "Do you see them ?"

T. G. H.: "No, but I know they are there."

Walter: "So do I.  (Golden Slippers -chariot). See - he talks about horses, too.  He is going to ride a horse, too."

T. G. H.: "He is riding a chariot."

Walter: "You can have a chariot, too."

T. G. H.: "How about a Ford?"

Walter: "It won't go without gas.  A train won't go without coal, and there is not much power.  Go into a little room with a little light.  Sing a little and remain passive and get in touch with your friends.  I told you I was going to make a photo full size and I have to make my plans accordingly.  There is one lady in the room who was getting on nicely and then she began to sit back and take things easy."

10:40 p.m.

Walter showed his light.  Very brilliant.  Seen by all.  

Walter: "Show it to the boys. Bring them  forward."

Walter shows it to the boys, Jimmy, Fraser, and Neil.  

10:43 p.m., medium, head on table.

Walter: "I am going now - cannot hold the medium longer.  After I have gone just break and sing three lines - a few seconds.  I will take care of the medium.  Just as you sing, break and turn on the light gently and I will stand by."

The sitting closes at 10:45 p.m..


January 27, 1929.         (Continued)

[Sitting at Mr. W. B Cooper's (January 29) Walter purports to give number of sitters to be in group.]

[Handwritten: Numerals 1 - 9 with initials   W. S. S]


February 3, 1929.

Wool-like mass covers upper part of Mary M.'s face.  No signal from Walter.  T. G. H. fires flash - with Walter's permission - at time he chooses.

Amorphous substance apparently more stable than face-forms; this seen by the fact that Walter could risk time of waiting for flash.

Biologically important point.

From 9:04 p.m. to 9:24 p.m.  

E.M. is in the cabinet, trance script and visions.  

At 9:24 p.m.  T. G. H. opens the cameras.

E.M. in circle relating visions.  At 9:33 p.m. singing.

Walter: "Good evening, friends.  We are going to depart from our usual procedure a little.  How would you like to give your shot yourself when no one is thinking about it?"

T. G. H.: "I would not know when no one was thinking about it."

Walter: "I had not thought of that.  I wanted you to catch me unawares with your flash.  I want you to nudge your neighbor and each will pass it on."

T. G. H.: "You would see me nudge."

Walter: "Yes, of course I would, but the medium would not know."

T. G. H.: "We might get nothing."

Walter: "You might cast a net into the sea and get nothing.  Will you try the experiment?"

T. G. H.: "I will do it, but I would rather you gave the signal."

Walter: "Well, I shall not fire the signal."

9:38 p.m., singing.

Walter: "There is something.  I promise you that you will get something."

T. G. H.: "When do you want me to shoot?"

Walter: "Any time you like."

T. G. H.: "I'll signal by a double squeeze to the hands of my neighbors and take the picture 30 seconds after the squeeze."  

Walter: "Do they all know to duck when you squeeze?  You did not make that clear."

T. G. H.: "Yes, I told Ms. Turner to do so."

9:43 p.m.

The flash was fired at 9:43 p.m. 

At 9:45 p.m. T. G. H. closes the slides of the cameras.  

At 9:47 p.m. Spurgeon control speaks and sings.  

At 9:52 p.m. T. G. H. preparers for second flash.

Walter: "I would not advise you to take another picture tonight."

T. G. H.: "Would you tell us what we have tonight?  It adds to the value of the test, I think."  No answer.


[ Photo of wool-like mass of teleplasm ]


[ Photo ]

Voice: "Love casteth out fear ... God is love.  I know and I feel.  Jesus lives.  He loves me still.  I am going home right to the camping ground, right over Jordan.  Down the mountainside with my Savior I would go."

At 9:56 p.m., Walter's light is shown.


February 17, 1929.

9:06 p.m., sitting begins.

At 9:11 p.m. Elizabeth in deep trance.  At 9:28 p.m. Elizabeth out of trance and placed in circle.  T. G. H. opens cameras.  E.M.  relates visions.  Hears Spurgeon singing. At 9:39 p.m. singing by circle of Spurgeon's hymn as requested.  The Spurgeon voice growing in power leading the singing (through Mary M.).  At 10:00 p.m. Spurgeon preaching and reciting hymns.

Mary M.: "There are drums beating in my ears.  Was I out?"

Cooper: "Did you see Walter?"

Mary M.: "Yes, he was here.  He said he was greasing the wheels."

Walter: "Back!  Back!  There, there, everything is all ready now.  Hello there, old friend! ... I guess you have been wondering where I have been, but I have much to do.  I am not quite ready for you tonight.  I am with you all the time."

T. G. H.: "I have a box ..."

Walter: "I know all about the box.  There will be no picture tonight.  I want to give you something very good and my friends here are very anxious that it should be.  Have you had word yet about the other two faces in the picture?" ( November 25, 1928)
T. G. H.: "No, I have not heard yet.  They are at the psychic college.  Is one of them Myers?"

Walter: "No; one of them  is William Lodge.  His grandson told me.  I do not know who the other one is.  They have not told me. But you will hear ... My medium has not carried out my instructions.  She has too many clothes on.  If you would only let yourselves go you would help very much ..."

Walter: " ... We shall soon be ready for the wax apparatus my friend, after the next picture.  I am going to use my friend on the right (H. Green).  I shall tie him in knots and turn him upside down ... Our friend, Black Hawk, is here.  I want to give you Black Hawk.  He is a wonderful man and has grown and grown."

T. G. H.: "Does he still retain his Indian characteristics?"

Walter: "Only when he visits you on earth."

T. G. H.: "Are your mechanical contrivances made over there or on this side?"

Walter: "I set up machines on your side wherever I go ... I hear someone singing here; it is our friend Spurgeon.  He is singing, singing.  We call him Light he is so bright ... he wants to rewrite his sermons ... I see the little nipper (Jimmy) is here.  When I was putting the nails in my box it was great fun for him.  He will be a great medium ... So long."

Sitting closes at 10:35 p.m.
        

February 24, 1929.

9:16 p.m.; meeting opens.

At 9:21 p.m. Ellen in deep trance.  Writing intervals.  

At 9:38 p.m.  E.M.  out of trance.  T. G. H. opens cameras.  E.M. gives story.  

9:43 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. singing for Spurgeon control as he requests.

Walter: "Good evening.  How do you do, folks?"

T. G. H.: "Do you find it hard working tonight?"

Walter: "Yes, crowds, crowds!"

Spurgeon control again asks for hymns.  

At 10:13 p.m. Walter returns.

Walter: "What about my 'Golden Slippers'?"  Better put them  on.

Walter: "I haven't enough to cover my medium yet ... I cannot give you the picture I promised as I cannot get the ectoplasm I need.  I can give you a small picture if you like.  It takes a lot to cover my medium ..."

T. G. H.: "Is it our fault?"

Walter: "No, no.  It takes a little time ... I would like to try with a very small sitting first ... to give you my large picture."

T. G. H.: "Will you be ready next time?"

Walter: "I do not know; it depends entirely on you."

T. G. H.: "You want to reduce the circle?"

Walter: "Yes.  If I could produce it without an outer circle it would be better.  I must protect my medium.  I do not know how it will come out.  Here, it is all right ... Don't get excited ... you are all too stiff."

T. G. H.: "Walter is working hard tonight."

Walter: "Yes; I'm not getting much from you. (Laughter).  Very amusing, isn't it?"

T. G. H.: "Get some from the preacher here." (Reverend G. Freeman.)

Walter: "No, no."

Freeman: "Is it all bottled up?"

Walter: "You want to open your eyes.  There are none so blind as those who don't want to see ..."
(Walter seems to prepare to take a picture of ectoplasm and then decides against it.)
        
Walter: "I would rather store it."

T. G. H.: "Could you give us a picture of your talking apparatus?"

Walter: "No."

T. G. H.: "Is it the same as the one you talk with a Margery's?"

Walter: "Not quite ( True - see later) ... There is rather a disturbing influence around.  I think it would be better if you would break for a little ..."

T. G. H.: "How about next night? Do you want a small group?"

Walter: "I think it would be better.  Could you all be ready?"

T. G. H.: "Yes."

Walter: "I will try.  It takes a great amount of ectoplasm.  I promise nothing ... Break."


February 27, 1929                                                

[From MB (Winnipeg) Free Press]

Dr. Hamilton gives lecture on research

Psychic developments explained at meeting of Canadian club.

More than 700 members and their guests were present at the meeting of the Women's Canadian Club, held in the main banquet hall of the Royal Alexandra Hotel, Tuesday evening.    Dr. T. Glen Hamilton delivered an illustrated lecture on "Psychic Research."  Mrs. H. M. Speechly, vice president of the club, presided.

"Survival is a vital subject, not to scientists alone, but to all of us," Dr. Hamilton stated.

Photographs of ectoplasm bearing likenesses of recognized and unknown faces, automatic writing of mediums in a trance, hands formed of ectoplasm and fingerprints taken from these hands were viewed and the phenomena of each explained in so far as research permitted.  Dr. Hamilton discussed signaling and conversational communication with the famous Walter Crandon (Stinson) giving a brief review of the efforts and progress of psychic research.

Miss Mildred McMurray proposed a vote of thanks to Dr. Hamilton for his interesting address, which was seconded by Ms. Elizabeth Carruthers.

Mrs. T. Glenn Hamilton, Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Cooper and Mr. and Mrs. H.A.V. Green were guests of the club.


March 2, 1929.        

Walter/M.M.: ( to T. G. H.) "You have a lot of hard work ahead of you ... In a little while your work will count ... I want my medium to have only one garment on, have the shoulders bare."

T. G. H.: "Why?"

Walter/M.M.: "Because it is difficult to get the plasm back into her body ... We do these things to benefit ourselves by helping you.  We all have our work to do.  The more education you have the harder it's going to be for you."

T. G. H.: "That's hard on our universities."

Walter/M.M.: "Bye and bye when they know what is to follow, they will change their methods."

T. G. H.: "Are there no perfect man, then?"

Walter/M.M.: "Yes, there was One ..."


March 3, 1929.

9:08 p.m..  All sang "Unto the Hills"

9:12 p.m..        All sang "The Lord Is My Shepherd"

9:13 p.m..        Elizabeth M.  In deep trance.
9:15 p.m. - 9:24 p.m.        writing.

Control (Spurgeon?)  Speaks, T. G. H. repeating after her "Oh, Safe Is the Rock That Is Higher Than I."

All sang this hymn.

9:26 p.m. - 9:28 p.m..

Writing during singing.

9:30 p.m..        Elizabeth M. out of trance.

9:31 p.m..        T. G. H. opened shutters on all cameras.

9:33 p.m.         Elizabeth M. related as follows:  

"I saw R. L. S. as a little boy in bed.  He had a whole bunch of toys on the bed.  I saw his little nurse and another lady not his mother.  It was in a house in the Old Town.  I have been there scores of times before."

"I saw R. L. S. in bed talking to his mother.  He was older than on the other picture.  He wanted to tell his mother something."

"Livingstone standing and telling something.  This was a double picture. Livingstone was trying to have a meeting at both places. The meetings were with whites on one hand and with blacks on the other.  In the wild country, he had on a dark suit and a black hat too.  He seemed happier in the wild country."
"I saw Spotty. (Flammarion) and a boy with him.  The boy was happy with him.  Neither were in Earth clothes.  I knew the boy.  He was big and dark."

"I saw Stead.  There was something he wanted, and there was a big crowd with him .  He was not in Earth clothes."

"I saw Spurgeon too.  He was singing.  Arthur was not there."

All sang "There Is a Fountain Filled with Blood"

Control: (Spurgeon?) "Sing 'Where Sharon's Roses Blow.'"

All tried, but did not know the hymn.

T. G. H.: "We don't know that hymn."

9:44 p.m.

Spurgeon: "My soul has found abiding rest, where living fountains flow; where veils are in their virtue dressed, and Sharon's roses blow.

                "'Tis but a step to Sychar's well
                Where Jesus speaks to me,
                And there by faith I seem  to dwell
                With Him in Galilee."

All sang these verses, Spurgeon leading lustily.

Spurgeon: "I run to win the prize which Jesus offers by His Grace to faith aspiring eyes."

                "I trust Him know when Fortune smiles, 
                His service is so sweet
                I lay my weary burden down, 
                At my Redeemer's feet."

All singing, Spurgeon leading in the last verse and the following:

                "I saw the shining way, He went
                To do His Father's will,
                And follow on in sweet content
                So glad he loves me still.

                "And if I may but serve Him here
                In my own humble way
                I know that I shall have no fear
                In that Eternal Day."

9:53 p.m.

Spurgeon: "In the Bible we read, you all know, of the prodigal son here below.  If you open your book at the gospel by Luke, the 15th chapter will show how they brought him the robe and the raiment.  They did laugh round the fatted calf, while the Father himself did sing.

                "Glory to God, he's come home.
                Glory to God, he's come home
                From guilt and from crime
                From feeding the swine
                Glory to God, he's come home."

9:55 p.m..

All sang "Jingle Bells."

Control: "Gone are the days."

Walter: "They don't want to sing that."

T. G. H.: "Do you want 'Golden Slippers'?"

Walter: "March, March."

All sang "Tramp, tramp, tramp the boys are marching", the medium beating time with her feet.

9:56 p.m.

Control: "Good evening."

All said "Good evening."

Walter: "It is Walter.  I am like the blind boy: to me it is always day."

All sang "Jingle Bells."

Walter: "It is very hard for me to get in now.  I let your friends in and they won't go out."

T. G. H.: "Do you mean Spurgeon?"

Walter: "He wants to preach and pray."

T. G. H.: "Does he use up the power?"

Walter: "Yes."

T. G. H.: "Have you told him about it?"

Walter: "Yes, I have."

T. G. H.: "Tell him the pictures go to thousands, but his talks only reach us."

Walter: "He is smiling at what you said.  He wants to write about himself.  I have told him 'later on.'"

T. G. H.: "Does he want to use your medium or has he some other instrument in view?"

Walter: "He just says he is going to write."

Walter: "There is surprising news coming to you, it is about your boy."

T. G. H.: "Which boy?"
Walter: "The one I gave you in the picture.  He is not your boy.  The news is coming over the water." There is George Gordon Bennett.  He says "George Gordon Bennett says 'God bless you every one.'"  Someone claims the boy over there.

T. G. H.: "Well, we'll have to go to law about it.  I suppose there are no legal proceedings over there - no laws like ours."

Walter: "There is no law like you have to break over here.  You know what you have to do, and you just have to do it."

T. G. H.: "I see."

Walter: "Oh, do you!  You have a lot of hard work ahead of you.  Never mind, my friend, in a little while your work will count."

T. G. H.: "Were you at my meeting with the Women's Canadian Club?"

Walter: "No, but I heard of it.  Believe me, I am able to tell you that just as conditions of long ago progressed, so this work will progress.  It is a splendid thing to know that when you pass from this life, you live on.  As the stars have shone for hundreds and hundreds of years, so we live on and become like the stars, and live on giving light to others.  Astrology!  Hasn't it grown?"

T. G. H.: "Do you believe in it?"

Walter: "There is an old lady here.  She comes with back bent double, and a stick.  She is dressed in dark material.  Her hair is snow white.  On her head she has a lace cap - white lace trimmed with mauve.  She wears glasses on a rather long nose, and has sharp features.  She was rather a pretty woman in her day, I should think.  She comes beside the gentleman who is writing.  She claims him as his grandmother.  She passed on many years ago, and he never saw her.  She says "God bless you my son."  She gives a name that sounds like Dorothy or Doris - that is the best I could get of the name."

Walter: "Now what are you going to do?"

T. G. H.: "What ever you tell us."

Walter: "Are you weary in well doing?"

T. G. H.: "No.  We are all ready for anything - wires and everything."

Walter: "You have been very busy, haven't you?"

T. G. H.: "Do you come around and watch us?"

Walter: "Oh, yes.  You are a small band tonight."

T. G. H.: "According to your orders."

Walter: "You need just all to get in here, and we will have a wonderful time.  You would keep awake.  Oh, if you only knew what you are missing now."

T. G. H.: "Could we?"

Walter: "You could see if you wanted to."

T. G. H.: "Should we go to sleep?"

Walter: "No.  Just sit in a chair, make your mind a blank and we'll come and use you."

T. G. H.: "Is that hypnagogic?"

Walter: "Where do you get such words?"

T. G. H.: "It is a good English word."

Walter: "I don't know English."

T. G. H.: "Well, you are an American Canadian."

Walter: "If you are born in a stable, you are not a horse.  You might be a jockey.

T. G. H.: "We are proud of you, Walter; and like to think of you as belonging to this side of the boundary."  Is there a boundary between you and us?"

Walter: "There is a boundary line fixed, but there is no red tape.  You cannot give someone a few dollars and slip over."

T. G. H.: "Are there no guards there?"
Walter: "Oh, there are guards - personal guards.  Come up hither.  Come and see.  Yes, there are guards and more guards, lines of them , and more lines.  The only ones that can get across are the little ones. They need to do nothing but come right in and see all the beauties."

There is someone here.  Someone says it is Elizabeth.  Speak up, I cannot hear.  No, I cannot make it out.  Here it is - Elizabeth Young.

T. G. H.: "What about her; is she here?"

Walter: "Yes."

T. G. H.: "Has she anything to tell?"

Walter: "She cannot tell anything.  Someone with her told me her name."

T. G. H.: "What does she look like?"

Walter: "At present, not very good - just as though she were asleep.  Her companion is Mary Miles or Mary Mills."

T. G. H.: "Where is she?"

Walter: "She is in the room and is very bright.  She is with Elizabeth Young.

T. G. H.: "Looking after her?"
Walter: "No, a gentleman is doing that: all right, sing something."

All sang "Jingle Bells" followed by "Golden Slippers".  Medium's feet tapping in time.

Walter: "I will be ready to give you your picture next time you sit.  I also want you to have the medium with only one garment on.  Please see that this order is carried out.  Understand, only one garment, please."

T. G. H.: "Do you find conditions better now than before - I mean, with a small circle?"

Walter: 

"Until the picture has been taken I cannot promise anything; but I am ready.  It rests now with you, my friends.  But please, I must ask that only one cover be over the medium - not two or three - or there will be no picture, as I must have the breasts and shoulders bare.  One picture and only one garment.  I am afraid to give you a picture tonight in case I cannot get it to you as the medium has so many garments on.  I will protect her."

T. G. H.: "It seems difficult to get her to take them  off.  She would not comply."

Walter: "Ask her if she has not something very light that she could wear that would expose the body to me.  It is very difficult for me to take from her now as she is."
T. G. H.: "Is it difficult to get it out?"

Walter: "To get it in."

T. G. H.: "To get the ectoplasm back?"

Walter: "To get it in - what I take from all of you.  If it was for the face only, it would be all right; but to cover her it is necessary that the upper part of her body must be bare above the waist."

T. G. H.: "Would black satin alone be all right?"

Walter: "No.  That is too tight." (Stand back!  Stand back!)

Walter: "I would also like, as soon as the next sitting takes place, that your friends do not come through; and do not sing hymns.  Just bring your music and be jolly after the little lady has had her sitting.  I do not want them  to control my medium.  The man who sings ..."

T. G. H.: "Spurgeon?"

Walter: "Yes ... He takes too much.  I am glad to be with them  and help, but they take too much.  We do not talk of these things when we leave here.  He says he will sing, but if you do not join him it will be all right."

T. G. H.: "Is his work evangelistic?"

Walter: "Yes, on this plane."

T. G. H.: "Does he do this to help himself?"

Walter: "To benefit himself.  We do these things to benefit ourselves by helping you.  It is hard for me to follow them.  I am not with them .  We all have our own work to do; the more education you have the harder it is going to be for you."

T. G. H.: "That is hard on our universities."

Walter: 

"By and by, when they know what is to follow, they will change their methods.  For instance, our friend (Spurgeon) would be called a good man by the people who knew him on your side; but he has to work here.  Had he been a perfect man, he would be in the realms of the Blessed."

T. G. H.: "Are there no perfect man, then?"

Walter: "Yes, there was one."

T. G. H.: "How about Moses?"

Walter: "I have never seen Moses."

T. G. H.: "Or Elijah."

Walter: "I have never seen Elijah.  We shall see them  when we get to the realms of the Blessed.  I have read about Moses.  He was not a good man."

T. G. H.: "He was a leader of men."

Walter: "Yes; but why did not God let him go into the promised land?"

T. G. H.: "He was disobedient."

Walter: "Yes ... Please sing something."

All started singing "Tramp, tramp ..."

Walter: "No, no.  You bring the soldiers round when you sing that."

We sang "Clementine."

Walter: "I will go now.  Turn up the light and see that no one gets into my medium.  See that no one comes into the room until the next sitting.  Is it necessary to use the room before then?"

T. G. H.: "No."

Walter: "After I go, leave the room as quickly as possible; close and lock the door and don't come in again until the next sitting.  Can you all be here then?"

T. G. H.: "Mary Marshal is uncertain."
Walter: "I have certain fixtures.  If you are not here to protect, they may be injured.  I can hold them  back until you leave the room.  Dismiss quickly after the medium comes out and don't let anyone into my medium."

T. G. H.: "Break"

T. G. H. closed all cameras.


March 4, 1929.        

Statement:        

Walter/Mary M.        

(a)  Large mass on first flash.
(b)  Small mass on second flash. Can hardly be seen.                
(c)  No face.  (Correct.)


March 6, 1929.

9:31 p.m. All sing "Unto the Hills."

9:35 p.m. Elizabeth M. in deep trance.

9:37 p.m. to 9:44 p.m.        Writing.

9:46 p.m..  Elizabeth M. describes a vision she was seeing, at that moment, as follows:

"I am in a big clothing store.  There are three men ... Jews ... sitting there talking.  There is a store-room leading from the store.  There is a lot of gentlemen's clothing, coats, etc.; one coat has '19' on it; another '20'.  A name is up on the store, but I cannot read it, though I see it has a letter "L" and a "Z", also a "W" or "U".  It looks like a Jewish name.  All three men are typical of Jews.  One is an old man with his hat pushed back from his forehead.  They have a little lamp with a candle in it.  They have lighted a candle and put it under some woodwork ... perhaps it is a counter.  They are talking."

"One of them  is to be left by the others as a watchmen, or something ... Now everything has gone.  There seems to be a light here flashing and flashing."

T. G. H. opened all cameras, and said "Now give us your story."

Elizabeth M.: "There were two men and  R. L. S. striking a bargain over something  ... a small boat, I think. They were arguing.  This was not far from Skerryvore."

"I saw two men arguing over a woman.  They were not far from the coast.  One of those arguing became very excited. (Elizabeth M. had struck the table hard while in trance).  R. L. S. was there but only looking on.  He is always there with sailors."

"I saw Queen Victoria, too, right with Livingstone.  They were just talking: the Queen looked younger than when I saw her."
"I also saw Livingstone with a lot of natives."

"I saw Stead.  He was talking to me.  He was on the Other Side. That's all I saw."

All sang "Clementine."

Mary M. in trance.  Her control says "Go. Go."

9:59 p.m.

Mary M. hammering with feet and hissing.

10 p.m..

Walter: "Good evening.  It is not your fault.  Our friend is not with us tonight."

T. G. H.: "Which friend?"

Walter: "The one I wish to photograph."

T. G. H.: "Can we bring him?"

Walter: "No.  He cannot materialize.  He cannot be with us."

T. G. H.: "Can you use another and give us a picture, Walter?"

Walter: "No."

T. G. H.: "Do the two absentees make much difference to the difficulty?"

Walter: "It is all right.  It is something to look forward to.  As soon as you get that picture you will want something else."

T. G. H.: "We are talking to so many people."

Walter: "You would get your picture, friend; all in good time.  Time to you is something, but to us nothing. I understand your anxiety; but you must remember that there are things that cannot be forced.  There must be the link between us and the material; and if we cannot link up, we can get nothing.  We have difficulties to contend with just as you have - only more so."

T. G. H.: "We have the wax apparatus ready; and I have made arrangements for a movie camera and a strong arc light.  This will give a most valuable picture of ectoplasm if we can take it."

Walter: "You will get it; but you must wait.  I am going to bring someone else to help me, but they are not quite ready yet.  You will hear from another source on our side before they come.  I wish I could get my medium to take a greater interest.  It would be so much easier for her and me."

T. G. H.: "Shall we urge it on her?"

Walter: "Perhaps in time we may get someone else."

T. G. H.: "On whom we may do photographic work?"
Walter: "Yes."

T. G. H.: "You have someone in prospect?"

Walter: "No.  The organization is good but we do not get the best results.  Perhaps she will realize later.  If I could only make her like; my own sister; but she will get these photographs also ... I mean my sister will.  We are trying very hard to bring them  through."

T. G. H.: "You have not tried the new Bell box yet."

Walter: "No.  Bell ringing can only be recorded and you need a grain of salt with it."

T. G. H.: "But this one will take a picture."

Walter: "I understand; but that will come when we are prepared to spoil some plates."

T. G. H.: "The spoilt picture, the last one, has been of great interest - perhaps the best of all."

Walter: "That was to keep you thinking."

T. G. H.: "It has done the best work of all."

Walter: "Spurgeon is very disappointed that he is not here."

T. G. H.: "He was to be the picture?"
Walter: "Yes."

T. G. H.: "Is he working elsewhere - in other circles?"

Walter: "He has endless work.  He works among the poor."

T. G. H.: "Does he do that in an inspirational way?"

Walter: "Yes.  To lift up the fallen."  There is a menagerie here tonight, every kind of animal."

T. G. H.: "How come they here?  Any extra force by us?"

Walter: "No."

T. G. H.: "How then?"

Walter: "Curiosity."

T. G. H.: "To see this show?"

Walter: "I think you had better break.  I cannot hold my medium longer.  Turn up the light a little till she comes back.  Do not let anyone else into her.  There is a very strong force beside her wanting to get in."

10:13 p.m..

Turned on the light.  T. G. H. warned force to keep back till Mary M. out of trance.
T. G. H. closed all cameras.


March 10, 1929.                

A second wool-like mass covers part of Mary M.'s face.  Wings of teleplasm plainly discernible.  A demonstration of method used to produce miniatures.

Imitative manipulation of teleplasmic mass.


[ Photo of second wool-like mass of teleplasm ]


[ Photo ]



[ Photo ]