1929 - Aug 18 - Oct 6

1929

Aug 18 - Oct 6


August 18, 1929.                

Walter stunts for the cannons.

[Mr. and Mrs. Cannon, of New York, visitors.  Mr. Cannon a prominent corporation lawyer.  Close friend of the Crandons of Boston.]

Mr. and Mrs. William M. Cannon; Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Cooper; Isaac Pitblado; T. G. H.; Mrs. Poole; L. H.; John MacDonald; J. A. Hamilton; Mary M.; (H. A. V. Green absent)

Fall series of experiments begins

9:04 p.m.        Meeting opens. E.M. trance and automatisms.

Two raps heard at 9:16 p.m. on the cabinet wall. 

Nine raps at 9:18 p.m..  

Mediums change chairs at 9:20 p.m..  

At  9:21 p.m. Mary M. groans.  Elizabeth gives description of her visions.  

At 9:28 p.m. we sing for C. H. Spurgeon, as directed.  

At 9:30 p.m. strong voice sings hymns.

Walter: "Are you all here?  Call the roll."  We number up to 14.  

At  9:41 p.m. the bell rings twenty times.  Both hands of the medium held.  Mrs. Cannon calls for three long and one short.  He rings it.  Mr. Cannon calls for one long, one short, and one long.  

Walter complies; he speaks to an invisible: "Kid, if you touch that bell, I'll strangle you."

At 9:46 p.m. Walker asked for "canned" music.  At 9:55 p.m. Mary M. stands on her chair, then stands on the floor.  She sits down. "There are so many of your friends here that it is hard to do anything.  Your photographers says none (no ectoplasm); more important work to do."

Walter tells Cooper to take Mrs. Marshall's handkerchief off the table.  Walter says if she needs her nose wiped he will wipe it for her.

Light and bell ringing.  10:01 p.m., singing.  The light appears, and swings around.  Walter says he will give a small bit of ectoplasm.  Mr. and Mrs. Cannon both examined the head and face of Mary M.  Walter says that for the signal he will use Mrs. Marshall's right hand and give three knocks, and then one knock. It is, he says, only a little bit; he sneaked it away from her."

Flash at 10:10 p.m.   Walter remarks that his signal worked well, also that Moonstone is present.

Mr. Cannon: "Bye bye, Walter"

Walter: "The pleasure is all yours.  I tell you something.  When you go back (to New York) don't tell them  what a bunch of dumb Doras we have up here.  I'll pull your hair hard if you do.  Break!"

Note: Mrs. Cannon held a movie camera in her lap when flash was fired; writes later that she obtained a photograph of the teleplasm.


[ Photo of amorphous teleplasm ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


August 30, 1929.                

H. Clive McAllister; J. A. Hamilton; Mrs. Poole; L. H.; T. G. H.; W. E. Hobbes; Mary M.;

[Note: Walter gives a secret - says that Stead is going to get a materialization standing in mid air.  He also gives instructions - mediums to disrobe, and to diet.]

Usual  E.M.  phenomena.  

Walter talks through Mary M.  

No phenomena.

Walter gives  E.M.  a new name, "Ellen of the Rosebuds".  

We ask if the rosebuds is to symbolize little children, the love of which is a marked characteristic of  E.M. .  Walter replies that we have guessed correctly.


September 4, 1929.                 

Circle clockwise: Mary M. and Elizabeth M. in cabinet; T. G. Hamilton; Mrs. Susan Marshall; Miss Ada Turner; Mrs. L. Hamilton; Mr. H. A. V. Green; Dr. J. A. Hamilton;

Outside the circle: Mrs. Bessie Shand; Mr. Whittaker; Mr. W. E. Hobbes.

Walter/M. M.  "I want the medium to be called "Dawn" ...  "It is the beginning of the new light (on survival).  A new day ... the beginning of a new things.  

Walter shows his light.  Rings the bell. 

A new control speaks:

"There is a wonderful picture coming - that will set the whole world on fire - something wonderful ..."

Walter/M. M.: "When I ring the bell, the picture is coming. The signal will be given by Dawn's right hand striking the table - 1,2,3, pause, 4, (fire)."

Lucy/Mercedes speaks for first time.  Promises a wonderful materialization will appear; one that will attract world-wide attention.

(True of Raymond mass and likeness of October 27, 1929.)

9:22 p.m.        Sitting commences.

Within three minutes  E.M. is in deep trance.  Various trance personalities manifest through the medium with automatic writing from 9:27 p.m. to 9:36 p.m.

9:27 p.m.        Writing

9:30 p.m.        Writing

E.M.: "W.O.  How do you do?"

T. G. H.: "Has he anything to tell us?"

E.M. : "Speak to him."

T. G. H.: "Hello, Will!  Have you anything to tell us?  (No answer)  Does he rap on the wall?"

E.M. : "He can, he says, sometimes."

T. G. H.: "If he has something to tell us, let him write it."

9:35 p.m.        Writing.

E.M. : "Spurgeon."

9:36 p.m.        Writing.

E.M.  is back to normal and says: "Some wanted me to go with them , but I wouldn't."

T. G. H.: "Who were they?"
E.M. : "Spurgeon, Stead, and Stevenson.  You couldn't get me to go with that bunch."

E.M.  moves out of cabinet and takes place between T. G. H. and Susan Marshall.

9:42 p.m.        Bell starts ringing violently.

T. G. H.: "Bang that cabinet wall, Jim."

J. A. Hamilton does so and the bell stops.  Mary M. immediately cries out and chokes badly.

Mr. Green: "Damn, damn, damn!"

Mary M. chokingly asks for a drink of water which T. G. H. gives to her.

Mr. Green: "I was going to do something."

Mary M.: "I cannot stand". Groans.

Mr. Green: "Walter was ringing the bell, of course."

T. G. H.: "The bell did not stick then like it has done before?"

Mr. Green: "No, no, no."

T. G. H.: "Go ahead with your story, Elizabeth M."

E.M.: "I was on a ship with Stevenson and there were two men there I have seen before.  They had a boy there and they wouldn't tell him something he wanted to know.  It was not good for him to know it anyway ..."

"The next picture I was at a thatched house with the sea behind it.  It was an old rickety house and the door was open.  I saw into the hallway which was very dark looking but I watched the sea more.  Stevenson was lecturing to someone nicely, but what he said I don't know ..." 

"I saw Livingstone too, but that was all.  He did not get through as there were too many in the way."  

"Spurgeon and Stead were they are too."  

"Stead spoke to me ..."

"I saw W.O (Will Hamilton) and he talked to me.  I also saw an old, old man, not a big man, with W. O. I saw him before in my visions.  He is a Hamilton, I think."

All sing "Jingle Bells".  

9:55pm        Turned on "canned" music.

10:00pm        Mary M. says that the room is full of darkies and that their faces are "as bright as anything."

T. G. H.: "Is Walter there with you, Lillian?"
Mr. Green: "Damn.  It is easy to say come on.  Come.  I come on. I come on."

Mary M.: "Come on, Walter."

Mr. Green: "Now say which it is. Now, now.  I want Lucy to say."

Susan Marshall: (laughing) "Well, I will say it is Walter."

Mr. Green: "I want Lucy to come on.  Come on, Lucy.  It's easy."

Susan Marshall: "You want me to help?"

Mr. Green: "Yes, yes."

All sang "Clementine"

Mr. Green: "Damn.  It is easy to say come on.  Come.  I come on. I come on."

Mary M.: "Come on then, Walter."

T. G. H.: "Did the darkies coming to hear the new round on the gramophone make it difficult for you, Walter?"

Walter/H. Green: "No; the darkies did not make it difficult, but you did.  Now, say which of us it is.  Now, now; I want Lucy to say."
        
Susan Marshall: (laughing) "Well, I will say it is Walter."

10:03pm.        Walter/Mr. Green: "I want Lucy to come on.  Come on, Lucy.  It's easy."

Susan Marshall: "You want me to help?"

Walter/Mr. Green: "Yes, yes."

10:04pm.        Mary M. stands up, bows three times, raises right hand, carries left hand over breast and says "Good evening" to which everyone replies "Good evening, Black Hawk."

Black Hawk/Mary M.: "Good evening, my friends.  The instrument is not very good tonight.  Paleface is very busy and very angry.  Many friends are around tonight."

T. G. H.: "Are conditions not good tonight?"

10:08pm.        Black Hawk/Mary M.: (standing) "I do not know what is wrong but there is something wrong with the material conditions.  We must wait until they are righted."

T. G. H.: "What have we to do to right them ?"

Black Hawk/Mary M.: "I do not know.  I have had no instructions.  I was only permitted to come through in this instrument.  Paleface is here.  Many other friends are here.  I must leave you now for a little while.  Good night."

10:10pm.        Black Hawk/Mary M. bows three times, raises his right hand, passes left hand over breast, gives farewell call, drops right hand to side, then left hand while giving farewell call and whistle.  Then Mary M. sits down.

10:12pm.        Walter/Mr. Green: "No, let's see what we can do ... I am just watching.  I am not a bit ... Now, now.  What are you going to do? ... you have got to keep Harry away."

10:16 p.m.  Brilliant light is shown for a few moments.

Walter: "You have got to keep him interested; that's it.  Talk.  Talk. "

L. H. talks.

Walter: "Talk so he will forget himself.  Self is the devil."

L. H.: "Note that Walter was talking to one medium (H. Green) and showed his light through another (M. M.).

Walter: "That's nothing."

Walter/Mary M.: "Good evening.  Get back; keep them  back. (Direct voice). They are crushing in on me.  Too much nonsense; too much nonsense.  One leader and one only.  Everyone can have their turn, but each one must not encroach on the other person.  You understand that ... All feet must be placed upon the floor.  And I gave instructions that all those shoes were to be off.  How many obeyed?  I can see.  How many are on?"
E.M. : "Mine are on."

Walter: "I will take them  off.  I would make you eat them  if you bring them  in again."

E.M. : "Mine are on."

E.M.  spars with Walter on whether her feet were on the floor or not when he just spoke of the matter.

Walter: "There was to be a male and female, male and female all round the circle."

T. G. H. explains that  W. B. Cooper is away.

Mary M.: "I gave orders that the medium's shoulders should be bare and that she should wear one garment only."

Walter: "Can Barney sit between the four ladies?  If so, he can do more than I could."

T. G. H.: "Do you want Harry to move to the other side of Mrs. Hamilton?"

Walter: "Move them  any way you like so long as there is a man between each lady.  Are you sure that you can manage this?"

T. G. H.: "We were afraid of mixing new people in with the original group for this special work."

Walter: "I told you I didn't care how many came so long as they sit in pairs.  Mix them  up and make a poultice of it."

T. G. H.: "All right.  I will manage it."

Walter: "I gave orders that the medium's shoulders should be bare and that she wear one garment only."

T. G. H.: "She wore her coat (dressing gown) in, but that can be slipped off."

Mary M.: "All right, but those orders have not been obeyed because you are a lot of dumbbells.  Are you here for fun, because I am not here to amuse you."

L. H.: "We are in dead earnest, Walter."

Mary M.: "Then I must have the medium's shoulders bare.  You are sitting here for something promised to you, but I cannot work unless I have things my way.  Tonight everything was upset at first.  I should have told you I was at the bell."

T. G. H.: "I thought it was some interference such as we have had before."

Mary M.: "I was trying to stretch my cords for my picture; but I would not have given it tonight.  Now I must start all over again."

Walter's light appears and is remarked upon by several in the circle.

Mary M.: "When you see the light it is shown to help me.  Do not say 'There is the light' when you see it.  I show it because it brings your thoughts to me.  When your thoughts are on me the light is strong and when they are not it is weak."
                                                                
T. G. H.: "How do you produce your light, Walter?  By chemical action?"

Mary M.: "The light is not due to any chemical action."

T. G. H.: "Then it is not the same as the light of a glowworm."

Mary M.: "No, it is not.  I want to use this other person.  Just let him have his own way."

Mr. Green: "That is not right".

Mary M.: "I want this medium to be called "Dawn".

T. G. H.: "That is to be the name of Mary M.?"

Mary M.: "Yes.  It is the beginning of a new light - a new day - and now she will be called "Dawn".  If she doesn't get the light she will be called 'night'."

Mr. Green: "Dawn, Dawn, Dawn was not right."

T. G. H.: "What was the matter?  Shall we use that name in speaking or writing of her?"

Mary M.: "You can use it as you please, but I shall call her "Dawn".  It is a beginning of a new things though the Dawn may not rise."

Mr. Green: "Dawn, Dawn."

Mary M.: "Do not let anyone else come through.  Try and be on time.  Ask the medium herself to remove her cloak before she sits in her chair.  She can put it on again before she leaves."

T. G. H.: "Are you otherwise satisfied with the garments she is wearing?"

Mary M.: "If she does not change them .  If she does I will tear it off.  That is final ... Let the light be turned on very dim.  Break for a few seconds and then turn on the lights slowly.  Do not let anyone come through.  Then sit, but do not take the medium's hands and wait till she is right.  You may join hands again if you wish, but do not take the medium's hands.  So long."

All break hands and remain thus till Mary M. is normal, then form a circle again without Mary M..

Mary M.: "There is someone with my sister-in-law."

Mrs. Susan Marshall stands up and says "Good evening, my friends."

T. G. H.: "Who may you be? Have you anything to tell?"

Susan Marshall: "I will speak a little while.  You are, I know, very disappointed.  Your control seems to be out of sorts; but it was just a little accident and upset proceedings.  Do not be disappointed because he will build it up again.  Naturally he would be annoyed."  

He will allow me to tell you there is a wonderful picture coming - when, he will not tell you ... All right.  I will tell them ... He does not wish me to say what the picture will be, but it will be something that will set the whole world on fire.  Something wonderful."

T. G. H.: "Does Walter want the cameras focused differently for this picture or are they to remain as they are?"

Susan Marshall: "Has he said otherwise?  He will give instructions before the picture will be taken."

T. G. H.: "I must make any change in focus of cameras between sittings."

Susan Marshall: "He will tell you at least two sittings before the time.  He is very anxious that his instructions be carried out to the fullest extent, however foolish they may seem ."


September 6, 1929.                

Three small masses - one from each eye and one on breast.  Said to be experimental try-out in preparation for more important mass to come.

(Mary M. given a new name: 'Dawn' -  meaning "the dawn of a new day" - of revelation of life to come.)


September 8, 1929.                

H. A. V. Green; J. A. Hamilton; H. A. Reed; A. E. Turner; A. C. Whittaker; Mrs. Poole; Susan Marshall (Mercedes); Dawn; W. E. Hobbes (notetaker); L. H.; W. B. Cooper.  Hands in chain formation.

Trial Teleplasm

Teleplasms from M. M.'s eyes and throat

Susan Marshall given name "Mercedes"

Walter/M. M. says Susan Marshall is now to be called "Mercedes";  H. Green is re-named "Ewan", Elizabeth M. to be called "Ellen of the Rosebuds."

Statement:        

Walter/Dawn        

Will give a little teleplasm (statement made a few moments before flash is called for.)  (Calls attention to that {} of medium's chest.)

[Plates show teleplasm coming from medium's eyes - a larger piece on her chest.]

E.M. circle. 

Outside circle: Mr. Whittaker and Mr. W. E. Hobbes.

9:09 p.m.        Sitting commences.  Singing: "Unto the Hills"

9:12 p.m.        E.M.  is in deep trance.

9:14 p.m.        E.M.  says "Speak it to me."

T. G. H.: "Who says that?"

E.M. : "Robert".

At this time all are singing "The Lord's My Shepherd".

9:16 p.m.        Writing automatism manifests itself at 9:16pm and thereafter at 9:18 p.m. and 9:21 p.m.

At 9:21 p.m. there are also three light double raps on the cabinet and at 9:23 p.m. three sets of three raps each.

E.M. leans forward, says "Old friend" and shakes hands with Mr. Reed.
T. G. H. says: "Stead is welcoming you back, Reed."

9:24 p.m.        automatic writing.

9:27 p.m.        E.M. says: "Too many friends."

T. G. H.: "Do you see Spotty?"

E.M. : "Yes, and lots more."

9:27 p.m.        Automatic writing.

9:30 p.m.        E.M.  says, "Sing my favorite."

T. G. H.: "What is it?"

E.M.: "Nearer my God to thee ... I will be still whate'er he doeth.  Follow where He guideth.  Though not my road, He holds me that I shall not fall.  Unto him I leave it all."

T. G. H.: "Who's speaking?"

E.M. : "Spurgeon ... There is an old lady here.  She has a bottle(?).  She is over the center of the table.  Her face is round, a curl is on her forehead.  She has blue eyes.  Her name is Mary Martin.  She comes for Spurgeon ... John 3 - 16. In my Father's House are many mansions.  I go to prepare a place for all."

9:35 p.m.        E.M. in deep trance.  Automatic writing.

9:37 p.m.        E.M. returns to normal consciousness, moves out of cabinet and takes place between W. B. Cooper and T. G. H..

9:38 p.m.        T. G. H. opens two single lens and two stereo cameras.

E.M.then said, "I cannot get it tonight.  He seems to be with me yet." 

"I got Livie and Stevenson together and they were singing.  No, it was not Stevenson with Livie; it was Bobbie Burns.  I seemed  to be in two places: in the wilds and in the Old Country too.  Burns was not in the wilds.  I did not see them  at Blantyre.  It seemed to be up higher than the town."  

"I was in a city at first and then went outside, where there seemed to be a lot of work of a kind I did not know.  They seemed to be free and laughing and talking.  When they had finished, they shook hands and each clapped his hand on the shoulder of the other.  They were in earth clothes.  Burns was in white pants which reached to his knees only and a coat with one button near the top.  The other had a coat on - not a little one."

"I know where I saw Stevenson.  A man with him had fallen and knocked down a post.  A few of them  may have been wrestling together ... There are so many around here yet, and I don't know them.  I could get the rest if they were not here."

"I got Stead.  He was partly on this side and partly on the other."

"I got Spurgeon, too - all on the other side.  They were interested in a 'big' group on the other side.  I think that's all."

9:46 p.m.

Mary M. starts singing a hymn.  H. A. V. Green says "Who's that?" Mary M. continues singing.  Others in the circle join in.

Then Spurgeon control for a few minutes, through Dawn.

Walter/Dawn comes through at 9:52 p.m. and says "Good evening, everybody.  I see you have orders up to a certain point.  Everything is fine.  Damn fine!  Not too fine to get through the eye of a needle."

T. G. H.: "Walter, the bells started to ring at about noon two or three days ago." (It rang for about 10 minutes continuously and only stopped when Jimmy was allowed to touch the box.  L. H.)

Walter: "Take no notice; it will stop itself." (He said he was working)

Someone suggests ringing the bell.  Walter replies that he won't be dictated to.  He speaks to someone invisible and tells them  to "Get to the devil!" They are telling me here what to do; I won't be dictated to."

Walter tells us that Mrs. Marshall Jr. will be called "Mercedes" - her guide, Sister Lucy, wished her to have this name.  Her name means "long suffering, gentleness, truth."  
"Blessed are the merciful for they shall inherit the earth".  The parson is correcting me. "The merciful will obtain mercy."  

"Yes, he (Charles Haddon Spurgeon) is preaching all the time.  He is helping us.  He is wonderful.  When the picture is coming I will ring the bell.  You can take a picture tonight if you wish; just to see that everything is all right.  Another thing - the medium's shoulders are bare; her arms should also be bare, so that anyone seeing that picture can see that she has nothing on her.  Ask the medium to take off her outer garment (robe).  Put it on her before she leaves (the room)."

T. G. H. asks about the "big" picture.  Walter replies that they have many in preparation; he hopes they will get them  all through. "I have my doubts", he says.  Walter goes on: "I will give the little tinkle of the bell when I am ready and then you can be sure you will get a picture.  Can leave cameras closed before the picture if you like."

Walter asks that Dawn's dressing gown be removed as soon as she enters the cabinet; he says he uses her from the first.  He arranges for the signal: "one, two, three pause and one."  These are to be given by Dawn's right hand striking the table. (Right hand controlled throughout by Dr. J. A. Hamilton)

10:13 pm        Flash fired.

Walter: "Just a little ectoplasm only ... I would like you to place your hand on the medium's chest."

W. B. Cooper: "Yes, it is cold."  J. A. Hamilton and T. G. H. also report her chest cold.

Trial Teleplasm

Walter: "There is a small piece from each of the medium's eyes.  I was going to draw it across but it would have taken too much power." 

There is a small piece of amorphous teleplasm depending from each eye and a small molded mass on her chest.  This is to see that everything is all right.

"Will be able to give you something more important."

Walter tells W. B. Cooper (Victor?) that he will use him. "You are there for something more than to look pretty."

Walter speaks in the direct voice: "You are going to get good news from my old friend Cannon balls.  Don't forget the name Mercedes.  I have got to leave. Important- start next sitting.  So long."


[ Photo of trial teleplasm]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


September 15, 1929.                

H. A. V. Green; John MacDonald; A. C. Whittaker; H. A. Reed; Mrs. Poole; B. Shand; Mercedes; Dawn; A. E. Turner; L. H.; W. B. Cooper.

Present: Mary M. and Elizabeth M. in cabinet; sitters clockwise are W. B. Cooper; T. G. Hamilton; Mrs. Susan Marshall; Mr. H. Reed; Miss Ada Turner; Mr. H. Green; Mrs. L. Hamilton; J. A. Hamilton.

Hands in chain formation.

Description and initials of man who is to be photographed.

9:10 p.m.        Meeting opens.

Mary M. feels icy hand touching her.  

Elizabeth in trance and recovers at 9:30 p.m..  She moves out of cabinet.

9:31 p.m.        Cameras are all open.  E.M.'s story at 9:35 p.m..

9:45 p.m.        Group sing "Golden Slippers."

Walter: "Good evening.  I see you are all here.  I have to give you final instructions, none tonight.  I will give three knocks with the medium's hand on the table; three like this (knocks three times) another like this (knocks once).  Three and then I will rest; I won't count.  You fire on the fourth.  All be in your places with nice shining faces.  Have the medium's arms and throat sponged, also underneath the arms."

T. G. H. asks about the last picture.

Walter: "I brought it from her throat.  Did you not see the mark in the throat?"

Control goes on to say he that you can take ectoplasm only from certain parts: "The portions on her cheeks I took from her eyes." He makes the statement that when we come to nine (numbering off) and the  medium says "12" it means that we have two others beside the medium present.  Walter also said that his medium was properly clad.

Walter: "We are not wasting a particle of energy tonight; everything is to be trimmed for next time.  Ask Dawn not to have anything to eat from breakfast; a glass of milk and a biscuit is all I want her to take."  Walter remarks that Mr. H. Green will give the signal for a "picture".

T. G. H. tells Walter that we got a letter from "Cannon balls" as he said, in which Mrs. Cannon tells us that they obtained a moving picture of the ectoplasm.  Walter replies that Mrs. Cannon is a very fine woman.  "She is not like a box filled with beautiful clothes; all trussed up; she lets things out.

Here Mercedes is controlled.  This done by Walter's permission.  Sister Lucy (guide of Mercedes) is allowed, she says, by Walter, to describe a man standing in front who would be given (by photograph presumably). Sister Lucy describes him as follows: "His hair is parted more to the side than the center.  Broad white forehead; nice mouth; high cheekbones; eyes very blue and piercing; nice nose."

Dawn speaks: "His initials are W. E. G."

[Note: At a special sitting held at Walter's request immediately following the regular sitting, Walter said that Mr. Green was to be called Ewan, meaning to run and to conquer; this name to be pronounced E-wan.  He also said that a footstool was to be 
[Two photos. One single - top of page. One stereo - bottom of page.]


September 16, 1929

Letter from B. C. P. S. (British College of Psychic Science) - a request that when Dr. Hamilton comes to England next year he bring his mediums with him.


September 22, 1929.                

Mary M. circle clockwise as follows: W. B. Cooper; Elizabeth M.; T. G. H.; Mercedes (Mrs. Marshall Jr.) Mr. H. Reed; Miss Ada Turner; Mr. H. Green; Lillian Hamilton; Dr. J. A. Hamilton; Mary M.(Dawn).

H. A. V. Green; H. A. Reed; J. A. Hamilton; Mrs. Poole; W. B. Cooper; A. C. Whittaker; Dawn; Ada Turner; L. H.; Mercedes; John D. MacDonald (notetaker); T. G. H..

The Gladstone photograph and other marvels.

Preparation for the Coming of the Raymond Teleplasm

Statement:        

Walter/Dawn        

(a)  States that the face representation was a failure.
(b)  States that  W. E. G. was "present".

(Plates show  W. E. G. countenance - it reveals beginning of disintegration process.)

Mary M. wears evening dress for first time, at Walter's request, so as to leave arms and neck bare.  Teleplasms decorate Mary M.: take the form of headdress, earring, bow - Walter's sense of fun manifested in teleplasm.

Elizabeth M. entrance, writing and visions and story.  

At 9:30 p.m. Ellen (Elizabeth M.) leaves the cabinet.  

Dawn takes her place in the center of the cabinet and is controlled on either side as usual.  We sing "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross".  Dawn says "Walter is here."

T. G. H., who is during this time opening the cameras, says that he has opened the following: the two stereos, the Seneca portrait, four singles, two Dopplers and Mr. Whittaker's, one Anastigmatic (Mr. Reed's).  Elizabeth goes on with her story.

At 9:40 p.m. we sing Walter's favorite.  In a moment or two he speaks: "Well, you have obeyed orders for once."  He shakes the table, using Dawn's arms, vigorously.  He says that there is a crowd; he asks them  to stand back.

Walter gave the signal, striking to table three times with Dawn's right hand (controlled by J. A. Hamilton throughout), and then one strike as arranged.

9:50 p.m.        Flash is fired.

 A few minutes after, Walter's voice (Mary M.'s automatic voice) was heard: "It is a failure; there was a crowd here; the person I wished to give you, he drew back.  The person I told you about (William E. Gladstone) is here."

Small miniature face in center of bow seen to be likeness of  W.  E.  Gladstone.  (One who was deeply interested in psychical research in life.)

Walter: states that "W. E .G." was present; intimates that his teleplasmic likeness was secured but that it nontheless was a failure. 

[See photographs received - the face beginning to disintegrate, but unquestionably a likeness of  W. E.  Gladstone.]

There follows a time of conversation.  Among other things, Walter sends his love to Jessie (Mrs. T. B. McMillan, in India), and when asked if a certain university professor might be brought in to see the work, he replied, "Bring in the old Nick, if you like."

Mr. Whittaker and Mr. H. Reed accompany T. G. H. to the darkroom where they develop several of the plates.

The beads seen in photographs produced supernormally.  They were not present before entering the séance room and disappeared after the photographs had been taken.  Walter claimed they were brought from his side of life, loaned to him by a little Hindu girl.  The beads were later seen to be like beads made in certain parts of India.  No such beads in the possession of any one present.

[Photo - Imitative Teleplasm - miniature face.  The brooch is the medium's own.  Beads are an "apport".  Not on her when she entered the séance room; and not on her when séance concluded. - The Gladstone Teleplasm, September 22, 1929.]

[Gladstone was Prime Minister of England during reign of Queen Victoria.]

Gladstone face

For many weeks, in fact from the latter part of May, we had been expectant of a picture which would be of special importance and interest.  Through various members of the group being absent on holidays and otherwise, the summer season passed without our having successfully secured the special photograph.

There were, however, a number of minor  photographs obtained, notable among which was the one on the second evening of the presence of Mr. and Mrs. Cannon of New York City, this photograph being taken by them with their movie camera and of which we have learned a record was successfully secured.  On this occasion Walter insisted that Stead would not allow a picture for the reason seemingly, that it would use up the stored supply which was set aside for the future picture-making.

The ectoplasm photograph secured at the time of Mr. and Mrs. Cannon's visit was, therefore, just a little "stolen on the side" as Walter termed it; and it was given explicitly for the purpose of accommodating these visitors and giving them  a record in their own camera.

Subsequent to this, a photograph obtained on September 1 presented three separate portions of ectoplasm, one up at the top of the breast immediately at the base of the neck and extending down and over the sternum, the other two occupying the depression on each side of the nose from the inner canthus of the eye down almost to the ala of the nose.  These portions, it was subsequently explained by Walter, were not produced by him alone but by three entities.

On September 15th we were informed that all was ready for the production of a picture on the following Sunday, provided we conformed to the regulations and details of technique as set out by Walter.  He said everything was working in splendid form and he had no further suggestions to make.  He arranged that the signal should be given by blows or raps of the medium's right hand upon the table, four in number, upon the last of which the flash was to be fired.  Walter also volunteered the information that in this picture would be a likeness of an individual whose initials were W. E. G.

While we have never had any inkling of messages purporting to come from William Ewart Gladstone, we wondered whether it might possibly be his name that was meant, especially since he was personally acquainted in life with a large number of the other controls purporting to communicate; but the reader will recall that he was, from the very first, interested in psychical research and an active inquirer into the subject as far back as
1882, when his own utterance as quoted, records the statement that, in his opinion, "the matter of psychical research was the most important of all lines of research in the world."

On the evening of Sunday, September 22, we accordingly met, not a little expectant as to what the results might be and were glad to be told by the control, when in course of the program he came through, that everything was ready and he could proceed.

The four raps were given as arranged and a flash successfully fired.  The cameras used were: one Goerz stereo, one Wollensak Stereo, one Kalostat Quartz, one Seneca Portrait, two Rapid Rectilinear, one Anastigmat, one Thornton Pickard, making in all ten lenses.
The one anastigmat belonging to Mr. H. A. Reed and one rectilinear belonging to Mr. Whittaker were loaded and set up by these gentlemen respectively.  With these camera plates and their development, I have nothing whatever to do.  The product of the other eight lenses was my own.

When the picture was taken, Walter said he was sorry that the photograph was, in a measure, a failure.  He said the gentleman whom he announced as coming had come, but that he was almost withdrawing from the picture when the flash was fired.  However this may be, no further details were given, apart from the statement that there was a large crowd around about at the time and that many of these tried, and some of them  had in a measure succeeded, in getting into the picture.

The medium, on recovery from trance, was evidently unaware as to the taking of the picture.  This matter is of special interest in view of what appears in the picture.  My Seneca portrait picture I immediately developed with Mr. Reed and Mr. Whittaker present, also the Quartz lens portrait. The negatives were all good as far as light, exposure, and details go; but the softness of the Quartz lens made it very evident that this was not the type of work suited to its peculiarities, for there is a lack of fine-line details such as is given by the ordinary and better photograph lens.  The examination of the photograph of the Seneca portrait lens as enlarged and also of the stereoscopic camera products reveals the presence of an unusually mystifying group of details.

Firstly: the medium's eyes are widely open with the eye-balls directed upward and slightly to her left, showing a large amount of white of the lower side of the eyeballs.  The fact that she did not know that a flash had been taken is indicative that her visual sense was entirely blocked as a result of the trance condition.  I have never, in observing approximately two thousand trance conditions, before known of a case where the medium's personality seems to have been so effectively blocked or isolated from her sense reactions.  Anesthesia of the skin would seem  to be very commonly present but what amounts to anesthesia of so obtrusive a sense as that of vision indicates that the trance condition must have been extremely deep.  The ectoplasm present is abundant.  It consists of what might be termed four portions; an upper one which lies upon the head, apparently holding back the hair just behind the ear line and the forehead.  This extends from temple to temple across the whole top of the head and in its length approximately eight inches, and in width from front to back approximately two inches; while in thickness, the thickest portion would not be more than a quarter of an inch.  Its form is that of an elongated rectangle but that the ends seem  rounded and in its central portion it is curved laterally, this making it fit approximately to the arching of the cranium.  Its surface is not continuous as observed from above downward.  It presents three large fenestrated openings approximately one inch each in diameter.  These openings are located one centrally and the other two are disposed about equally betwixt the central one and each end.  This upper mass of ectoplasm is of the white variety much like compressed fibers of cotton wool giving an appearance of striations which however do not lie in any special direction. The fibrous condition also is shown in two or three minute strands of the material which overcross these aforementioned open spaces.
Hanging from the right ear for a length of about two inches is a white mass of teleplasm which appears to come from behind the ear and which is approximately a quarter inch in thickness.  It reaches down within an inch of the base of the neck where the curves laterally outward to form the right shoulder.
                                                                                
Secondly: From the right nostril there is seen a white mass which falls down over the upper lip partially obscuring it but sufficiently transparent to show certain features of the lip through, and this white striate mass extends slightly to the left where it disappears seemingly between the upper and lower lip at the center of the mouth in a band of about one third of an inch wide.  At a point to the left of this from between the lips, there emerges a similar band of white ectoplasm which sweeps down below the lower lip and expands widely to the right of this.  It occupies a position about 2 1/2 inches to the right of the mesial line of the face, it's left extremity being at a corresponding distance to the left of the mesial line.

This mass, which is about two inches deep and four inches from left to right, narrows at its lower central portion as if held by a bow beneath which it again expands to a width of fully two inches in the form of a decorative loop-like portion to the bow or knot.  Within these two portions, centrally located, appears a fairly distinct  photograph which is an unmistakable likeness of the late W. E. Gladstone.  The right eye of this individual as shown in the picture, presents a dark part of the cheek as if a large monocle were being held within the eye.  Moreover, the eye and adjacent parts of the cheek as seen through this ring is of a lighter color, a finer detail, and more distinct than is the corresponding portion of the eye and cheek.

Throughout these broader areas, teleplasm extends to the chin and below are many irregular openings which appear at first as simple tears in an attenuated, fibrous, flaky mass.  On closer examination, however, under a magnifying glass, many of these hitherto shapeless, darkish spots, show themselves as more or less distinct fragments and portions of human faces.  About eight or ten of these faces have been counted by several individuals.  Of the many mysteries surrounding this picture, the presence of a lengthy string of beads about the neck of the medium, is perhaps one of the most mystifying.  The medium, as formerly, was undressed and prepared for the evening's performance by two other of the lady attendants.  We all saw her take her place and are certain that there were no beads upon her.

Upon coming out of the room we likewise witnessed the fact that there were no beads upon her, yet the development of the photograph discloses a string of beads which look perfectly real, consisting of three varieties, seemingly small glass ones which are interspersed between the others, some of which are large molded beads and others of a spherical form, probably of the imitation pearl type.

The origin of these beads is absolutely unexplainable.  Are they an ectoplasmic substitute for photographic purposes only, or are they apports which were present only for the photographic purpose and then deported? These are the most minor explanations, since this is the fourth instance in our experience with this medium where apports seem  to have featured as a special phenomenon.

A comparison of these beads with a brooch up on the front of the slip immediately below and overcovering the lower part of the beads, is very interesting.  This brooch, a metallic affair, looks even more real than are the beads.  The brooch was seen and known by us all.  The beads were seen and known by none of us except as the camera records show them .


[ Photo of Gladstone teleplasm ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo of Gladstone from life for comparison ]


September 29, 1929.                

Present: Mrs. Mary Marshall (Dawn); W. B. Cooper; Mrs. Poole; T. G. Hamilton; Mrs. Marshall Jr. (Mercedes); Mr. H. A. Reed; Miss Ada Turner; H. Green; L. M. Hamilton; J. A. Hamilton.

There were also present at the back of the circle: Mrs. Shand, Jack MacDonald; Mr. Whittaker; Neil Campbell; and Jimmy Hamilton.

Further small teleplasm on medium's breast photographed - Ewan gives signal.

Statement:        

Walter/Mary M.                

One more face-bearing mass to appear at this period.

("Raymond" Teleplasm of October 27, last of its kind for over
two years.)

Two pieces of teleplasm - on face and breast.  Ewan   (H. A. V. Green) gives signal for first time; he also, in trance, describes the nature of the mass photographed before plates are developed: "Small mass on face and breast."  (Correct - see photos.)

Walter: promises one more "picture" (one prediction now begins) 
(miniature likeness of dead and then will "stand aside".  Thus intimates that a change in super normal procedure is being arranged for on their side.   (See Lucy experiments and culmination.)

9:07 p.m.        Meeting opens.

E.M.  trance and automatisms.

The early part of the sitting was occupied by the trance incidents of Elizabeth M., during which  R. L. Stevenson came through once, Oliver Lodge once, W. T. Stead once, each doing automatic writing and C. H. Spurgeon once, doing automatic speaking.

Mercedes under control of Sister Lucy now speaks entranced: "Your name, my boy (referring to W. B. Cooper) shall be Victor.  It has been given me to give to you.  I do not know the significance unless it be a triumph over something.  But by that name he is to be known to the members of this group. 

He (Walter) has a beautiful name for the Doctor's Lady, but he will not give it tonight.  He wants to give it himself.  The others will come in due time.  I suppose you think he is not working tonight, but he is.  He has placed the instrument (Dawn) for a purpose which may not be known tonight but at some later date ..."

T. G. H. asks if Mrs. Marshall (Mary Marshall) should be prepared as usual for the next time.  Walter, through Ewan, says sharply "Everybody is to call her by the name, Dawn.  She should be prepared as usual."

Dawn, outside the circle and in normal condition, states suddenly that she sees a lot of machinery being brought into the room.

Ewan speaks (apparently under impression from Walter) "I need all the power I can get for the next; this one (H. Green) and the man next (H. Reed)."  He says to impress on every member of the group the necessity of being here. 

"There is not one that is not needed.  They are to take their places when called upon without comment.  Come on!  Come on! (Table moves violently).  I took a lot of power tonight, but I'm finding out what I can do; I use the boy (Ewan) for these movements."

Dawn, still outside the group, now passes under the control of Spurgeon and sings out very strongly.  Second verse more softly.  He preaches a beautiful sermon on Luke chapter 5, beginning at the 16th verse. He gives also a most moving prayer for the members of the group.
Walter: "Good evening." He says that the Bell box is too weak; will ring it with pin. (T. G. H. promises to fix it).  He reminds us that he asked to have the boy Jim (Jimmy) placed on a chair, says he is giving no more orders; if he does not want to come in, do not force him."

T. G. H.: "Now, about the beads.  They are ectoplasmic beads?"

Walter: "They were not ectoplasm.  I come where I can make a space ... the little black girl (guide to Dawn) brought them  and took them  away."

T. G. H. asked whether eyes were open.  Walter replied that she was looking at the heavenly choir seated near.  Speaking of the "force" used, he said it was stored partly in the medium's body and partly in the cabinet.  

Walter was told that Mary M. complained of feeling one side of her body, particularly under the breasts, heavy.  He replied "Yes, she will feel that often; you may expect it."  

Walter says he will give the other medium (Ewan) the signal for a picture, says he will make him a medium soon.  

Again says that he has two "powers" stored; one in the body and one in the cabinet.  These must be mixed to be complete - positive and negative.  Acids stored in medium; bases stored in cabinet.

Dawn makes vomiting sounds.  Walter remarked that some of the ectoplasm went into the stomach; it would be better for her to discharge it.  He remarked that she exaggerated the feeling; she often vomited when she did not need to. (This probably true).  He said that nothing he did to her would do her any harm.

Walter said that Mercedes was not strong enough to produce ectoplasm for him.  Said he was determined to get Ewan.

Speaking of the "work" he remarked that it was like using a pin to lift a great weight. The more criticism we get the better.  We were able to stand it.  The bullets would fly before very long. 

Would like dawn to give over her "readings"; detrimental to her, if she only knew it.  He will give another picture and then he will stand aside.  He suggests a very interesting possibility: he could give T. G. H. his own picture in ectoplasm but it would only be a mask.

[Note: The word "picture" usually meant a face representation but gradually the controls came to use it to signify that something supernormal would be visible - and would be  photographed, resulting in a "picture".]

Following this, I moved from my position adjacent to the cabinet where Elizabeth M. at this time had been seated and took the position as indicated above.  W. B. Cooper occupied chair number one beside the cabinet on the left hand of the medium.

The sitting was early disturbed by the ringing of the bell by Walter, but as the bell box wasn't working properly he shortly asserted that he wouldn't again use it until it was repaired.  

The phonograph wasn't working properly on account of a faulty belt, and this too, he insisted on having properly fixed.  

Subsequent to this, I may here say I have investigated the bell and found that the shrinkage of the top of the box being greater than the shrinkage of the false lid above had caused this upper lid which is immovable between two uprights to be pinched thereby, and practically impossible for it to function, since the lid would neither go up nor down with any freedom.  

I removed the lid and planed the edge down to give free movement.

The phonograph I also improved by substituting another belt for the faulty one.  

The quartz lens also removed and substituted a Bausch and Lombe rectilinear 6 1/2 by 8 1/2 lens.  This, however, has not been tried.

Early in the evening Walter informed us that there would be no picture face.  Later he intimated that he would put the signal through Ewan (Mr. Green).  

It was not long till he had Ewan under control and gave the signal for a flash.  This was repeated several times, but we took it as a practice drill for Ewan.  

However, later the question was raised by the control as to why I had not taken a picture, and it became apparent that when he said there would be no picture, he meant a picture of a person, he did not mean that there would be no picture of ectoplasm. 

 The signal was again given and I took the photograph, as indicated through Ewan.  

Walter then, through Mary M., instructed Ewan to tell us what the picture taken would be, and Ewan proceeded to inform us that there were two masses of ectoplasm; the one on the left side of the face and the other on the breast, which would appear in this picture when developed.  

His information was, however, added to by more through Mary M. with the result that a fairly close description was secured, among which details it was stated that from Ewan's left hand to the mass of ectoplasm upon the left side of the face of the medium there was a connecting cord, which, however, had broken down, but the long droplets would still be visible hanging from the left side of the face.

There was also a connection between the ectoplasm upon the face and that upon the chest but this also had broken down, and when the photograph was developed the masses of ectoplasm as described are to be seen.

I discussed at length with Walter the photographic record of a week ago which contained the Gladstone picture.  

On asking him how Gladstone came to be there he stated that Gladstone was present to have his photograph taken on the invitation of Stead.  

I asked him whether Gladstone was one of their group and to this definite reply was made of "No"; but. he is engaged in work of another sort; but he knows of your work" continued Walter, "and is extremely interested in it."  

I then asked of the beads which had appeared in the photograph.  To this Walter replied "They are not ectoplasmic; they are real beads; they were brought by the little black girl who sometimes controls this medium.  She wanted to put them  on for the occasion; they are hers; she took them away again."  

Walter further said that this picture was very marvelous but "What you have had is but a pin prick to what you will have."


[ Photo of teleplasm masses on cheek and chest ]


[ Photo ]
                                                
The sitting had not closed when Sterge came through.  

Jack had suggested all should leave the room except certain ones whom he designated.  This included Ewan, L. M.  W. B. Cooper; Ms. Turner; and myself.  

Sterge then proceeded to put Ewan through some more drill similar to what we had seen before. To this Ewan was a ready victim.  Sterge further proceeded to exercise a seeming power over both of the other strangers,  Ada and Barney both under control to a slighter degree.

Trial Masses

[Left side - Two Photos - upper a Stereo - lower an enlargement of different view - Note: oval mass on breast]

[Photo - strange shapeless teleplasm issuing from Mrs. Marshall's mouth.  Note oval shape within teleplasm lying at the top of dress.  This suggests that the face forms were created and protected by an over-covering, like a walnut shell, which split apart to reveal the face when Walter considered it sufficiently developed to be exposed and photoed.]


October 1, 1929.

[Poem transmitted by Walter Stinson, control of 'Margery' Crandon]


                A Curve in the Road

The way has been made more clear to us:
        It isn't so clear to you.
For we're just a wee bit ahead on the road,
        And the curve cuts off your view.

Each day give some help to your fellow man:
        Life gives you a chance to serve,
In that way you become a part of the plan
        With a glimpse of the road, 'round the curve.
And he would be chiefest among you all:
        The server who carries the load,
For he sees in his heart from the very start,
        The view round the curve in the road.

And we think that this knowledge will help you on,
        Will help you to carry the load -
To know in your heart from the very start
        There's a view round the curve in the road.


October 5, 1929

[Letter from Dr. Hamilton to Mrs. W. M. Cannon:]

Mentions ectoplasm photographed - medium has her eyes wide open although in trance - Walter had mentioned previous week that someone with initials W. E. G. would appear in the photos - it was William E. Gladstone - half a dozen fragments of other faces - also a string of beads appeared on the medium's neck.

Walter said "'Well, if you want to know - it was the little black girl who brought them.  They are her's.  They are not ectoplasmic.  She brought them and she took them again.'  This is the third time that Topsy has brought apports but on this occasion, as I said before, she deported them."


October 6, 1929.
                
Circle, clockwise: Elizabeth Marshall (Ellen of the Rosebuds) in cabinet; W. B. Cooper (Victor); T. G. Hamilton; Mrs. Susan Marshall (Mercedes); Mr. Reed; Miss Ada Turner; Mr. H. Green (Ewan); Lillian Hamilton; Dr. J. A. Hamilton; Mrs. Mary Marshall (Dawn);

Mrs. Poole; B. Shand; H. A. Reed; Eileen MacTavish; H. A. V. Green; W. E. Hobbes; L. H.; T. G. H.; Ian Shand; John MacDonald; W. B. Cooper; Ada Turner; Mercedes; A. C. Whittaker; J. A. Hamilton.

Outside the circle: Mrs. Shand; Mrs. Creighton; Mr. Whittaker; Ian Shand; and note-takers: Mr. Hobbes and Ms. MacTavish.

Hands in chain formation.

A new experiment.

Dawn outside the cabinet.

Walter: states that he needs all the power (energy) he can get for next materialization.  Gives an exhibition of telekinesis (non-contact movements of the ten-pound table in cabinet) a sign that he is securing energy from those present - Ewan particularly.

9:10 p.m.        Sitting commences.  All singing "Unto the Hills",

Various trance personalities manifest through  E.M. from 9:19 p.m. to 9:28 p.m..

9:12 p.m.        Sing:  "lead, Kindly Light", at the end of which Ellen (E.M.) is in deep trance.  Various trance personalities manifest through the medium of automatic writing, from 9:14 p.m. to 9:28 p.m.

At this point Dawn exclaims and moves about as an attempt is apparently being made to control her.  Ewan says, "It's all right, it's all right.  Just leave her out but join across."  

Dawn is then eliminated from the circle and Dr. J. Hamilton takes Ellen's hand.

9:17 p.m.        Ellen says, "Good evening," and immediately thereafter automatic writing takes place.

9:20 p.m.        automatic writing.

9:21 p.m.        Ellen says, "Spurgeon - Lead, Kindly Light - sing it."  All comply and on completion, Ellen says, "Now, sing my hymn."  T. G. H. says:  "Which one do you mean, Spurgeon?"  Whereupon Ellen says:
                                                                
                "Whate'er my God ordains is right
                He leads me still, he is my God
                Though dark the road.  He holds me
                And so to Him I leave it all." etc.

T. G. H.: "I'm afraid we don't know that, Spurgeon."

Ellen: "Sing 'Rock of Ages'." This is complied with.  Then Ellen says, "There's Spotty." (Flammarion).

T. G. H.: "Tell Spotty we want his picture.  Does he want to talk?"  No direct answer, but automatic writing immediately follows.

9:28 p.m.        Ellen says, "Timber".  

T. G. H.: "Who is 'Timber'?"  Ellen simply ignores the question and says, "Big group of people are here.  There is a beautiful light on the face of a lady, and the lady is your mother." (She is talking to T. G. H.).

T. G. H.: "Has she something to say to us?"

Ellen: "No.  Another woman is with her.  They are gone now."

T. G. H.: "Do you know the other woman?"

Ellen: "No.  She was looking at you."

T. G. H.: "Could you see the color of her eyes?"

Ellen: "No.  This other woman I don't know.  She has a long face and hair parted in the center.  It is not black hair."

T. G. H.: "Is it red?"

Ellen: "No, brown."

T. G. H.: "Light or dark?"

Ellen: "SH -- sh -- sh --, go, go, go."

9:33 p.m.        T. G. H.: "Do you feel like coming home now?"

Ellen: "Yes."  

Ellen then moves from the cabinet and takes her place between W. B. Cooper and T. G. H.  

Ewan keeps saying, "It's all right!  It's all right!"

9:35 p.m.        Ellen moves from the cabinet and takes her place.

Ellen recounts her visions.

T. G. H. opens the shutters of the following cameras: two stereoscopic, one Wollensak, one Seneca Portrait, and one Quartz.

Ellen then recounts her trance visions as follows: "I was traveling fast tonight in two or three different places.  I was at Burnemouth cottage and at Stevenson's on the High Street. Burns' cottage seemed very much changed; it was a thatched cottage.  Burns' cottage and  R. L. Stevenson's in connection with one another.  There were two persons at Burns' cottage and Stevenson's with him at the other."  

"I was with them  and I went to the top of a hill where there was a peculiar square building.  The lower half of this building was built and finished off.  I don't know whether it was all finished; I don't know, I couldn't tell.  But it was just a lower half of a building; but I don't know what it was."

"I got them  again, but I got another man with them , a gentleman; and he was in Stevenson's home.  Stevenson was examining Burns' eyes.  I saw him and I am sure it was Burns."  

"This other man, I am certain I never saw him before.  I don't know what he was doing but he seemed to have an awful look.  I never saw his face here before."

"I haven't much more to tell because I was kept between these places some more tonight and I got mixed."  

"I got Stead and a great big round building.  I don't know how high it was; it was grand.  A large crowd was sitting around there and he was sitting in the center of them  at a table.  I don't know what he was doing.  There was nothing on the table; it was completely bare.  He may be talking to those people.  This building was built of stones."  


"What did I get next?  Oh, yes, I got him.  I got Livingstone and there were dark, dark fellows with him, six or eight.  There were some kind of covers over one shoulder.  They were practically undressed and their faces were like copper or darker.  He put them  up to a place and he fed them  some kind of things; but it was black-looking stuff.  After he got them  fed and settled, he talked to them .  I can't tell you what.  There were men and women."