1928 - Jan 8 - May 20

1928

Jan 8 - May 20


January 8, 1928, the group met.
  
With Ford in deep trance, Fletcher repeated the above words.  Mrs. Houdini removed her wedding ring and sang a stanza:

                "Rosabelle, sweet Rosabelle,
                I love you more than I can tell.
                O'er me you cast a spell,
                I love you, my Rosabelle!"

Fletcher relayed Houdini's thanks, and Mrs. Houdini now responded with the rest of the code.  As Fletcher described Houdini drawing a curtain to a close, Mrs. Houdini responded with a French phrase "Je tire le rideau come ca."

Fletcher repeated the code phrase - "Rosabelle, Believe!"

He passed Houdini's message: "Tell the whole world that Harry Houdini still lives, and will prove it a thousand times and more ... I was perfectly honest and sincere and trying to disprove survival; so I resorted to tricks to prove my point for the simple reason that I did not believe communication was real, but I did not do more than seemed justifiable.  Tell all those who lost faith because of my mistake, to lay hold again of hope, and to live with the knowledge that life is continuous.  That is my message to the world, through my wife and this instrument!"


January 29, 1928        

Dr. Hamilton, Cummings,  J. A. H.; Alders,  Mary Marshall, D. B. MacDonald,  Ada E. Turner.

In January, 1928, Mary Marshall - later called (Dawn) for the sittings -  became a member of the Hamilton experimental group.


January , 1928

Lecture at Winnipeg Medical Society.  Materializations as reported by Schrenck-Notzing, Richet, Geley, and other Europeans.  

Little said about evidence for survival.


February 5, 1928.

E.M.: 

"I just had Stevenson beside me.  I don't know what he said.  He kept around here a time.  He had on a lay-down peaked collar and a dark bow tie, and a wind coat on.  I don't think he has went away.  I think he has been hanging around the night.  I feel a lot better since he has come.  I did not see any others."

"He was quite ordinary pleased.  He was disheveled when I saw him down there first.  His .... when I got him."

"A group of five others were there, and a little boy was there, whom they pushed ... R. L. Stevenson put something in my eyes the night, and he took control, in spite of my efforts to stay normal ..."


February 8, 1928

Letter to Mr. Hubbard - advice on lecture - from Dr. Hamilton.

Dr. Hamilton is not a Spiritualist in the commonly accepted sense - the Christian religion has everything needed.

Men who are supposed to know are followed into areas where they know nothing - and wax critical as a result of ignorance.

Mr. Hubbard has talked with Dr. McLachlan who knows much of what the Hamiltons did in the early years.


February 12, 1928.

The Fair Young Man Appears.

Mrs. Mary Marshall passes into trance.  She speaks to Mr. W. B. Cooper in what he later said was Hindustani, a language of which she knows nothing in her waking state. 

(W. B. Cooper was born in India; lived there until he was 12 years of age).  

When Mrs. Marshall returned to normal state she told us that just before she became entranced she had seen a young man come into the room.  He had laughing blue eyes and a girlish complexion.  He was playing on a tin whistle.


February 15.  1928.

E.M.: 

"I saw Stevenson and Stead.  I did not see Livie.  I saw Stevenson away in a different place, quite a few men there.  This place was a pretty large house, a peculiar shape.  The roof seemed kind of green."

"We went into a room well furnished ... more like a parlor.  One man of quite a few there had a big book.  Half the room was a fireplace on the wall ... there were two large ... on the mantelpiece.  There was a picture of the man on the mantelpiece, a man, white-headed, thin hair, roundish face ... the table, square, was sitting in the center, a family gathering, six or eight or some more.  Stevenson was about 30 years."

"I got Stead, in the Other World.  He was like in a big open Silver Mountain.  He was quite near the night.  Others were with him as they were on the way down.  They looked so small.  They must have been some way down."

"I only saw Stead's head and face, silvery-white ... I saw an outline (this spoken by W. B. Cooper) of his features just behind Mrs. Poole, the eyes and the outline of the face.  I could not see the color of his eyes.  I could see the beard.  It was a side view, and then he turned his face right above Mrs. Poole's head."

W. B. Cooper: 

"Here's a garden, like a square, and a lot of flowers, a big tall very old building, one road one way, and another away down.  Now a lady has come up this way ... Now it is opening up and away into the country as far as I can see."

In February, 1928, Mary Marshall became a regular member of Dr. Hamilton's group.  Her first clairvoyant experience was the seeing of a Young Man in our seance room,  whom she described as handsome, with fair complexion and laughing blue eyes.  


February, 1928.

A number of sittings held, many impromptu; writing and phenomena only fair.

[ History of predictions concerning teleplasms ]


[ Photo of  page 1 ]


[ Photo of  page 2 ]


[ Photo of  page 3 ]


[ Photo of  page 4 ]


[ Photo of  page 5 ]


[ Photo of  page 6 ]


[ Photo of  page 6 ]


[ Photo of  page 7 ]


[ Photo of  page 8 ]


[ Photo of  page 9 ]


[ Photo of  page 10 ]


[ Photo of  page 11 ]


[Diretory of Teleplasms ]


[ Photo of  page 1 - Jun 4, 1928 - Mar 24, 1929 ]


[ Photo of  page 2 - Apr 7, 1929 - June 4, 1930 ]


[ Photo of  page 3 - Aug 3, 1930 - Apr 23, 1933 ]


[ Photo of  page 4 - Nov 12, 1933 - Feb 28, 1940 ]


March 1, 1928.

E.M.: 

"I got an old man the night.  I don't know who he was.  He had whiskers and quite a good complexion and black hair; his head hanging on one side and leaning on something, a hand or pillow.  I saw him a little while ago.  His eyes were dark, dark eyes, good eyes, no glasses."


March 1, 1928.

E.M.: 

"I got Stevenson first.  He was awful angry at some other man with this place.  It was not his own.  It was a house ... There seemed to be something in between them, but neither was pleased.  The other man was short, stout, close cut beard, and he looked like a sailor.  I could not tell what was on his head. He had a pipe ... The house was low, thatched, and some water ... They were standing.  Stevenson was near the door.  I got him again; but he was in a different place and he was dressed with better clothes and cleaned up, than he was in the other picture.  He went inside and they had quite a bit of talk and they had two or three great big open books.  It seemed as if it was an office.  He was standing and talking to two or three men."

"Then Livie; I saw him with a lot of money the night.  He was giving it away; whether these men had been working for him, I don't know.  Then I saw him going and getting more and that was put in his pocket.  It was a very peculiar building with stucco outside and a dome on it, and the inside was very poor looking.  Long ornaments done with stucco are on the walls."

"I got Stead.  He was sitting in a room, a dining room very heavily furnished, a few gentlemen were sitting at this big long table.  I don't know what they were saying."  

"I saw another stranger there where Stead was, and Spotty (Flammarion) was around at the same time.  He was either leaning or lying on something.  He spoke to me."  

Stead and Spotty spoke to me and Spotty is pleasant, too.  His spots are like blotches.  Neither was in this world.  I only saw the head of both of them.  This black-haired man was a foreigner; he was in a little at the mouth.  He seems to have high cheekbones.  He had a short beard ... Now I get a rainbow, different colors and all."


March 1, 1928.
The return of  F. W. H. Myers.  Stead gives advice.

W. T.  Stead: (writes by the hand of Mrs. Poole ( Elizabeth M.)) 

"I advise ... let nothing interfere with my little friend and her work ... No one yet to take her work from her ... W. T. S."

During Elizabeth's fifth Trance  Interval, a script was given purporting to come from F. W. H. Myers.  His advice coincided with Stead's.  

This was the first Myers communication since 1921. (See early records.)

This was the first Myers message in nearly six years. (The last had been "helping in Amity", Myers and Stead." - April, 1922).


On March 4, 1928 

She sees him again.  


March 5, 1928. 

Mrs. Poole stayed overnight; in the seance room earlier she was startled to see the Fair Young Man who appeared briefly, then vanished, in the direction of the cabinet.  Mrs. Poole also says he is good-looking, with fair complexion.  

Then she describes a train of early vintage, a railroad track, and a train trip through a town with many smoke stacks, and water tanks.  L. H. and T. G. H. are present.  Mrs. Poole sees the Fair Young Man shaking hands with T. G. H. and looking very pleased about something.  

At each weekly sitting in March Fair Young Man appears, again described by both ladies as jolly and full of fun, liking to whistle.  On April 1, Mary Marshall experienced being taken on a train ride where she was in the cab behind the engine and near the coal supply as she went for the train ride.  She hears and reports that the Fair Young Man is asking Dr. Hamilton to make a bell box similar to the Scientific American Bell Box used in the Crandon test experiments in Boston in 1923.


March 4, 1928. 

Mrs. Poole,  Mrs. Mary Marshall, Mr. W. B. Cooper, Mr. H. A. V. Green, Kitty Alders, Lillian and Dr. Hamilton, Dr. J. A. Hamilton and  Mrs. Cummings.  Impromptu sitting.

First conversation with Walter.  First perfume.

Mary Marshall goes into trance while E.M. is describing her  R. L. Stevenson and  David Livingstone visions.  Mary M. shivers and sighs and seems under stress.  At the same time sitter X (Ewan?) for the first time passed into what appeared to be trance.  The room is suddenly pervaded with a strong odor of perfume.

E.M. in Cabinet.  Usual trance script, and relating of trance visions. 

(E. M. is still giving her story)  All agree that it smells like cologne. E.M. recovers consciousness and says: "Oh, I have seen such a wonderful sight!"

E.M.:

"I went on a boat with a man, dark skinned.  He wore a turban and robes.  I think he was a priest.  He took me to a large temple.  It had 12 pillars, and oh!  The beautiful lights! They were not lamps or anything like that.  I could see all water - oh!  I could not describe it!  All music!  All praying, kneeling in prayer.  Their robes were gauzy white."  

At this point the perfume comes in great waves.  It is strongest near Mary M.'s breast. (T. G. H. and L.  H. confirm this.)  Mrs. Marshall is greatly excited by this beautiful vision.  She says she had never had anything like it before.  Perfume passes away.

While E.M. is still in the cabinet, Mary M. sees a man standing beside Mrs. Cumming.

Mary M.: 
"Mrs. Cumming, is your father in the spirit world?  I see a man with gray eyes beside you.  He is not old."

Mrs. Cumming: "No."

Mary M.: "Well, he says he is your father."

Mrs. Cumming: "I beg your pardon.  I was thinking of my step-father.  He had gray eyes."

Mary M.: "He says he is your daddy.  I get that he must have died many years ago."

Mrs. Cumming: "That is true.  I was just a little girl when he died."

Mary M.: "He shows me a little cedar chest.  Have you a cedar chest or a little box like a cedar chest?"

Mrs. Cumming: "Yes."

Mary M.: "Well, he shows me a paper.  I can't read what is on it, but he says "It is gone."  There is an article lost.  I get the impression of jewels and trinkets in this box."

Mrs. Cumming: "This is certainly full of meaning to me." (Mrs. Cumming did not tell the sitters what it meant to her.)

After relating her story, E.M. takes her place in the circle and Mary M. moves into cabinet.  
Mary M. in cabinet.  Falls into sleep almost at once and starts to whistle.  Recovers.  She says: 

"There is that fair young man I have seen before. (February 12.) His hair is almost golden.  My, he is full of fun!"  Mary M. laughs heartily.

Dr. Hamilton: "Describe him."

Mary M.: 

"He has a fair complexion, blue eyes, clean-shaven, medium height, well built. His hair is almost golden. My!  He is full of fun! (Later she said he had lovely teeth.)  Oh!  I feel something on my lap.  When I was awake just now, I seemed to be sitting on the bank of a stream.  That fair young man came and gave me a shove.  I thought I was going to fall into the water!  It gave me such a start!  He is too full of mischief!"
                                                                
W. B. Cooper: "Oh, there is a hand pulling my hair! ... Oh, I have a terrible pain in my stomach! They are trying to push my head down!"

Dr. Hamilton: "All right, lay your head on the table."  W. B. Cooper does so.

Mary M. laughs and tells the sitters that the young man says "Are you trying to say your prayers?" 

Then he says: "Sing something lively.  The young man does not like hymns."  

Group sings "O, Dem Golden Slippers."

Mary M.: "He says we are to sing it, not mumble it!"  

Group sings more heartily, then sings "Clementine." 

Mary M. reports that the young man says "That's better!"  As one group sings the line "She fell into the foaming brine" the young man says (through Mary M.) "You're all wet now!"

W. B. Cooper: "Someone is pouring cold water down my back! Oh! (Shivers). I feel an icy hand.  That pain in my stomach is awful!"

Young man speaking through Mary M.: "Take an A.B.S.&C. pill!"

Medium and group convulsed with laughter.

Sitter: "If only we could get to the direct voice."

Young man/Mary M.: "Well, I must go now. So long!"

Comment: 

Following the sitting, Mr. Cooper informed Dr. and Lillian Hamilton that just at the close of the sitting he heard a voice whisper near his right ear:

"Good-bye, you old rascal!  It's a secret!  It's Walter!  A hell of a looking bunch you are!"  

This "secret" was not repeated to anyone of the sitters.  Mr. Cooper had fairly well developed clairaudience and clairvoyance at this stage.   (L. H.)


March 5, 1928. 

Dr. and Lillian Hamilton and Mrs. Poole; Impromptu sitting.

About 10 o'clock in the evening  E.M. was very much startled by seeing a man standing in the center of the room, (séance room).  

He vanished in the direction of the cabinet.  

She called the small son of the house, Jimmy Hamilton, to come and stay with her for a little while.  It had given her such a start, she said.

When the son went to bed, the writer,  Lillian Hamilton, volunteered to remain for a while with her.  

In a few moments  E.M. again caught a fleeting glimpse of the man.  Lillian suggested putting out the light and having a good look at him.  She did so.  L. H. lay down to rest on the couch and  E.M. sat beside her.  The man returned.

E. M.: "Oh, there he is, a thin veil over his face.  He is good-looking,  good complexion.  Now he is coming clearer.  Oh, I cannot look at him, he is so clear."

Lillian: "Look at him.  Don't be afraid."

E.M. 

"Oh, here I'm getting a picture.  I see a railroad engine, such a big cow catcher, rather small engine to what they have now, rather clumsy looking.  Oh, here is another man, a doctor man.  His face is dirty.  The fair young man is with him.  He has a dirty face, too.  Laughs.  He has a shirt with small spots on it."

"Now I'm going with the train; here we go around a hill; now we pass a little village; here we are in a town or city; I don't know which.  I see lots of smoke-stacks sticking up; it must be a manufacturing place or railroad yard.  It's gone."

(Interval of blackness).

E.M.: 

"Here is our lovely child.  Oh!, she has a lovely bouquet of flowers for you. (L. H.).  Take the bouquet.  It looks like Donald; I think it is Louise."

(Interval)

E.M.: (laughing). 

"Don't move, Mrs. Hamilton.  There is three old water tanks right above your head.  Look out, or you will be drowned in water."

(Interval.)

E.M.: 

"Oh!  Here are letters coming. (Dr. Hamilton has just come in and makes notes).  I see the fair young man above Dr. Hamilton.  Come along and speak.  He is trying to say something."

Letters appear in light.  Dr. Hamilton records them: "78; who wants my number? Look for it.  Laughs."

E.M.: 

"He is smiling; he is going; here he is shaking hands.  He is pleased.  He is gone." 

E.M.  laughs and says, 

"Doctor, he has left an old loop around your head.  It is darker and broader than the other loops I've seen.  It looks like an old wagon hoop or tire."


March 7, 1928.

Spurgeon's Return

Elizabeth M.: 

"I saw a man in the night (tonight), and I saw him years ago.  I know I have seen the man's face in life.  He was a big make of man, a fine looking man.  He was a preacher.  He was with Flammarion.  I don't know what he said."


March 8, 1928.

"I saw Stevie and two others: a little girl and a boy sitting on a stone.  They were playing in the clear water.  Stevie was about 6 or 7.  I saw Stevenson a second time - a regular wind-storm.  I didn't get much there; I had to get back out of it.  He was a young man of about twenty."

E.M.: 

"I got that old man again.  He was speaking to me but I don't know what he said. (During sleep Elizabeth had been heard muttering 'Spur-- Spur--Spurgeon.'  She then spoke clearly: "go on with your good work".)

"I got an old man tonight (Spurgeon).  I've seen him before but I can't place him.  He spoke to me, but I don't know what he said.  Stead spoke to me, but I don't know what he said."

E.M.  (trance onset).  

"Livie talked to me.  All right, Livie, you talk to us! Queen Victoria.  All good wishes ... Freedom of the city of London ... invitation to public dinner, 1852 ..."

"I saw old Queen Victoria.  She was talking to Livie ... In a big city ... I saw him at a dinner.  The table was long and well filled.  I saw a buffet and a bunch of decanters.  I left.  A lot were there eating ... it must have been public ... all kinds of women there ... it was the first time I saw him well dressed."

"A little girl again ... she has flowers, white and kind of drooping.  She is at Lu's knee.  She is about the height of the table.  She's hanging her head as if she was looking at her flowers."

"Stead is here!  An old man here." 

"Good work; go on: I see Spotty.  I see someone in front of Lu (Mrs. Campbell).  A big person; an old woman, kind of long face.  Good-sized nose, cap, curls, dark eyes; she has something to do with Lu.  She is very old.  Has a tight bodice, high neck, lots of buttons.  Gives the name "McFarlane."  An old man beside her, awful white, whiskers and beard and all. A good big forehead.  He did not stay long.  She was talking something about someone here not knowing her."

When the E.M. scripts were examined later Stead's read as follows: 

"I brought my old friend, Spurgeon.  Welcome our friend.  W. T. S."

Raps are heard striking the table.

Non-contact raps are heard on the table.

Dr. Hamilton: "Will you give us three raps?"  Three raps are heard.

Dr. Hamilton: "Will you rap out the number of operators you have on your side tonight?"   Six raps.

Dr. Hamilton: "Can you lift the table?  Three raps (Yes)

Dr. Hamilton: "Is there some one set apart who does this rapping?"  One rap (No)

Dr. Hamilton says he feels something touching the top of his head.


March 15, 1928.

Prediction:  Walter/Mary M.  The bell box will ring.  (Bell rings April 12 and April 25.)

The young man asks for an electric bell.  

Mary M. went into the cabinet after the E.M.  part of the sitting.  

She began to laugh heartily.  She said she saw fair young man.   (F. Y. M. ).  We asked him to give us some phenomena.  She said she heard him say "What's your hurry?" 

 We remarked then that Mr. Bligh Bond was coming.  Mary M. laughed harder.  She said F. Y. M.  (Fair Young Man)  showed her a bald spot on Bond's head, and she said that he was going to 'cop' him on the head.  We asked F. Y. M.   what plane he is on.  Mary M. reports that he says "The Third".  She volunteers the remark that he can be very much in earnest at times.  Again she laughs and says that F. Y. M.   tells her that she must "do her stuff!"  

She reports that she sees him playing on a tin whistle of some kind, and hears him remark that his "bagpipes are bust!"  Next she sees him fixing an electric bell, and says he tells her that we will hear the bell ring; he is very serious.  Now he laughs, says something about the Scotch.  Mary M. shakes with laughter, reports that he has just remarked that we are so Scotch that the heather is growing out of our ears.  

(True, most of those present are of Scots descent.  Elizabeth is Highland and Lowland blood; Mary M., Lowland and Irish.)  F. Y. M. appears to Mary M. to be whistling.

Dr. Hamilton: "Where is the bell to be placed?"

F. Y. M.  : "Anywhere in the cabinet."

Mary M. again in a spasm of laughter says, "Oh!, he says "Damn it!", she tells T. G. H..  "You are to get the bell fixed."  She remarks that  F. Y. M.  appears to Mary M. with his mouth puckered as if he were whistling.  Now she hears him whistle.
  
Comment: 

Mr. Bligh Bond was an archaeologist, and noted investigator of psychical phenomena.  He was the author of the books "The Gates of Remembrance"  and "The Hill of Vision", dealing with automatic scripts received by him, which helped him in his digging to find the ruins of the original Glastonbury Abbey.

He visited Winnipeg about 1930, was the house-guest of Dr. and Lillian Hamilton and lectured on his Psychic Discoveries to about 700 people in old Grace Church.


March 17, 1928


[ Photo  of automatic writing in what looks like chinese ]


March 18, 1928.

F. Y. M.  seen in vision by Mary M.; "I can kick ...."

"Tell Bonne Bligh to look for a wife when he is on the prairies!  Don't tell him I said this.  He will blow me up!"

E.M. (entranced) "He seems to be up to some mischief."


March 22, 1928.

F. Y. M.: 

"I'm as bold as a devil himself. Hello!  Where is baldly?  Your  B's. Bonnie,  Baldy,  Bligh Bond.  He is not a bad fellow, but is slow.  I tickled the old boy's pate!  Don't spend all your time with those other fellows.  Give a fellow a look in!"


March 23, 1928. 

[Casual sitting.  Lillian and Mrs. Poole beside the fire.]

[Margaret Hamilton playing piano in room below. E.M. normal.]

Script: 

"Music is soothing to the beast (heart?)(breast(?) ...  I dislike thinking ... should be proud - I like to tease and tickle - give Scottie her music ... I like music ... used to play the fiddle myself."

        
March 25, 1928.

Regular sitting.  Second promise to ring bell.  Mary M. hears the F. Y. M.   say that he is sitting on the fence to see which way the cats will jump.  

W. B. Cooper makes a remark and hears him reply: "Yes, my lord!"  
F. Y. M.  takes the medium for a train ride.  He gives a number, and makes a promise.

Notes on the "Walter" Control.
                                                        
A fair young man is seen clairvoyantly by mediums Poole and Marshall.  Within three weeks he asks for an electric bell.  Tells Marshall that we will hear the bell, and through her tells Dr. Hamilton to make a bell.  

By April Dr. Hamilton  had made a bell-box (containing two large storage batteries wired to a door-bell.  False overlid with metal plate.  Overlid is held up by a spring on hinges.  10 g pressure needed to depress lid, make contact with metal on true lid, and thus cause bell to ring.)

F. Y. M. says re Bligh Bond: 

"Baldy is all right.  I like to tickle his bald spot.  He is not a bad little sport."


April 1, 1928.

Regular sitting.  

Mary M. in trance makes a noise like a train shunting.  Keeps this up for several minutes.  

For the first time, F. Y. M.  speaks through Mary Marshall's trance.

F. Y. M./Mary M.: "I'll ring the damn box yet!"

W. B. Cooper says he feels a cold hand touch him on the forehead. 

Mary M. comes out of trance and tells the group that she seems to have been on a train, a kind of switch-back.  Said she was up at the front where the coal was, looking out of a window, on the engine.

She saw F. Y. M.; he was singing something about "When I get there I'll see my girl!" Saw him wave to the people beside the gate, shouted to two girls; called to someone called Matilda.  

Stopped in a tunnel; the train went on.  Mary M. entranced gave the numbers 78 and 16 twice.


April 2, 1928.

Early morning.  Mary M. home in bed.  F. Y. M.  gives Mary M. his name.  

The young man appears to Mrs. Marshall standing by the bed.  He tells her that he cannot work with so many people in the room.  Also tells her that he is brother to Mrs. Crandon (Margery).  

He shows her a picture of  Dr. Crandon's séance room.  It is larger than  Dr. Hamilton's, has a bigger and stronger cabinet.  She feels that it is a still picture. 

Walter asks for a sitting with five people only.  After a time, when the work is established, more may be brought in.  He is very serious.

Later, Mrs. Marshall phones  Lillian Hamilton and arrangements are made to hold a special sitting as requested.

By early April, Dr. T. G. H. had constructed a bell-box and placed it on the seance-room table.


April 7, 1928.        (About 10:15 a.m.)

["Margery" felt numbness in her right arm and hand which
precedes  automatic writing and wrote the following in less than five minutes.]


                        Alliteratives

Simply singularity suggesting Stinson
Scintillating scientist supply suggestions,
stimulating sterile starting superlatives,
sending supernormal scandal scampering.
Sapid, saphead,sapless, saper Stinson
Scathing singularity scatters, sending
sudden sagacious scientists simpering.
Singular sialid saw saving sitting salvation.
Stinson saw secret singulairty secluded,
Scientist satiated - psyche still sitting.
Sinful, soulful, saintly, seeing Stinson
Surprising supposing seeking scientist.
sending sailid shouting.
Sudden singularity slightly slipping,
sees psyche still sitting.
Singularity Stinson silently surveys super-
        annuated scientist.


                        Note on alliteratives:

The repetition of the word "singularity" is a humorous reference by Walter to an able article by Mr. J. Malcolm Bird, Research Officer of the American Society For Psychical Research, in the Journal of the Society for March 1928 on "Singularity in the Ether".

The word sailid is an erudite synonym for "bird".  Bird as a proper noun, refers to Mr. Bird.  A double entry may be observed.  The irony and whimsical humor of the whole poem needs no diagram.

I don't know if you have the following poem or not, I thought it's so good I felt you would like it also.

        
If we live on when death has closed the door,
How shall the dog who loves us live no more?
For if soul is the force we live by, say,
then who loves more than dogs in their brief day?
And if God's Heaven harbors righteousness
and love and faith and courage, I confess
I find these virtues thriving royally
in dogs who serve their God so loyally.
And so, my little friend, I feel that you
somewhere out there beyond the sky's cool blue,
Are waiting me to take you to the park,
the biggest part in heaven; that your bark
will wildly welcome me upon that day,
When I arrive at last and we two stray
through shady uplands or along the shore,
where you may race, unleashed, forevermore.

                                        Author Unknown

As time passed, the Stead entity apparently recognized that the medium could not produce the desired results without some manner of assistance.  He asked repeatedly that a second medium be found who could supply him with the necessary psychic faculties and evidently seemed to think that this assistance would appear:


April 11, 1928.  

Sitting with five.  These are, Mr. W. B. Cooper; Elizabeth M.; T. G. Hamilton; Lillian Hamilton; and Mary Marshall. 

Special sitting.  Black Hawk appears.

F. Y. M. speech by way of Mary Marshall, trance voice.  

A bell-box has been constructed by Dr. Hamilton and hung by a cord in the cabinet.  F. Y. M. states it must be placed on a shelf beyond reach of the seated medium and sitters before next meeting.

Mary M. tells Dr. Hamilton that Walter says that he had not put the wood under the box. (Dr. Hamilton had made a bell-box and hung it on the cabinet wall.)  Dr. Hamilton is to put the box on a shelf on the cabinet wall before the next meeting.

Mary M. in trance, imitates the noise of an engine.  Speaks:

        "Dash along, Splash along, Clash along.
        Flies the fire-fiend to his goal!
        Through the mole of clay, By the margin of the lake,
        Through the brake, Dash along, Crash along,
        Flies the fire-fiend to his distant goal!"

Again she imitates the engine, saying "Choo, choo, wheel skidding?  Steady! ... Rotten ... rocking ... freight!" (Spoken in mock sepulchral voice.)

Mary M. comes out of trance.  Says she has been riding on a train.  Goes through a tunnel; runs along a bank beside the water and trees.  Walter was laughing and chewing tobacco. He "sput" it out.

W. B. Cooper hears a voice say: 

"Good old egg!  Put your nose over and I'll pull it!  The spooks will get you!"

Mary M. sees a magnificent Indian standing in the center of the room.  His arms are folded; he has a lovely countenance.  

Mary M. entranced.

Black Hawk/Mary M.: "Me help you."

Dr. Hamilton: "What is your name?"

Black Hawk/Mary M.: "Black Hawk.  White man (Walter) come here soon now.  Me not forget to help.  Medium good, very good!"


April 12, 1928.

First bell-ringing

Bell-box is placed on table in the center of circle.  All members link hands.  Bell rings while all hands held.  Dr. Hamilton absent at Church meeting.  Bell rings several times.  Walter very angry; wants box on a shelf on cabinet wall, well above seated medium.

Bell Rings without Contact for the First Time.

Bell-box made according to Scientific American construction plans is placed on the table in the center of the group.  The bell rings while all hands are held.


April 15, 1928.

Bell on table, all sitters' hands linked.  Bell rings.  

Bell rings on request.  Various combinations of short and long rings.  Bell-box still on the table.  Black Hawk speaks.

All hands joined in a chain formation, the bell rang spontaneously many time.  Dr. Hamilton was absent, attending a Committee meeting at King Memorial Church.

Mary M. clairaudiently hears Walter say that unless the box is placed on the cabinet wall on a shelf as he requested, he won't come back.

"They won't believe you!  They say my sister spoke with her ears!"

He becomes very angry and shouts his message out in a very loud voice.   

Comment: 

[Dr. Hamilton was very impressed by the new control's awareness of the criticism which had been directed at "Margery" by Professor William MacDougall,  who said of the Direct Voice in the Crandon group, that Margery did it with her ears - at a time when the Richardson Voice Cut-Out Machine was being used to demonstrate the independence of the direct voice.  

This incident had been told to Dr. Hamilton in a private conversation with the Crandon's in Boston and was not known to Mary M. or any of the sitters except  Lillian H. ]


April 18, 1928

Mrs. Marshall reported that she had heard "Walter" say that he would not return unless the box is mounted on the shelf at the back of the cabinet, out of anyone's reach. 

She quoted:
"The wouldn't believe you!  They said my sister spoke with her ears!"

Prior to hearing this very meaningful comment from Walter, Dr. Hamilton at first had been disinclined to take Walter seriously; but now he had heard the one thing which clinched it for him.  From this point on, he became Walter's full partner in this joint effort.

Dr. Hamilton was impressed by Walter's awareness of this accusation which he knew had been leveled against Mrs. Crandon in Boston by those in high authority.  This accusation unknown to Mrs. Marshall.

The bell box used was similar in construction to the scientific American bell-box used in the 'Margery' experiments of Dr. Crandon.  It is sufficient to say that it was an ordinary wooden container 6 inches deep, holding an electric bell with one or more dry batteries to ring it.  The bell circuit could only be closed by depressing an overlid hinged at one end to the lid proper, and supported by a spring.  It required a pressure of 10 g to depress the overlid.  It was placed and securely fastened to a wooden shelf on the inside of the cabinet wall to the left of the seated medium.  It was approximately 6 feet from the floor to the depression lid.


April 22, 1928.

E M. Vision:
"I got Stevenson and a man with a wooden leg.  He was a funny looking man; he was very stout.  Well, he handed something over to somebody but he said something when he handed it over that I did not get."  

"This was near a shore on a boat, not a steamer, a great big heavy barge for freight.  There were a good many men around there.  He had a parrot, or what, on this man's shoulder.  The bird had bright colors, several of them; I noticed a bright red or a bright yellow; I think the head was red."  

"I could not begin to tell you all the things around.  I was standing on a platform.  I tried to get off that platform but I could not."

"I got him again; he was talking to some man and a boy.  This man and boy had been doing something they should not and he gave them a talking to about it.  Well, I was along a little storeroom off the sea and that was where I saw him last."  

"I saw Livingstone.  He got a beautiful string of beads of all colors and he put them on and talked to them, thanking them for it.  They were blacks that presented him with this; he was going away."

"I got that Chinaman.  He was in the other land.  He was standing there talking to me.  He was in a beautiful place."  

"Stead was there beside him.  They were talking to me.  It was just like snow, hills of cloud higher and higher, and they can walk over these.  They are in white robes, too.  They had like a square over the head.  It hung down like a covering over them.  They stood there talking to me and then Spotty came ..."

E.M.  (entranced) writes: 

"You and your fat women, some mediums!  Not like my sister!  Walter."


April 25, 1928.

Bell Rings on Shelf for First Time.

Bell box now on the shelf at top of south wall of the Cabinet.  Rings on request.

At 8:00pm Dr. Hamilton places the bell box on the shelf of the cabinet wall (approximately 6 feet from the floor).  He leaves immediately to attend a meeting at King Memorial Church.

Bell-box now up high; rings many times, ringing in various combinations at sitters' requests.  Location of box unknown to sitters prior to sitting on April 25, 1928.

Sitting commenced  9:30 p.m..  Circle to left: E.M. in cabinet;  H. Green,  Mary M., L. H., Mrs. Campbell, W. B. Cooper.  (Dr. Hamilton at King Memorial Church giving a lecture.)
                                
E.M.  in trance; usual Stevenson, Livingstone, and Stead writings and visions.

Mr. Green reports that he feels as if "power" was being taken from him.  After E.M.  tells her story, the circle is re-arranged: Mary Marshall in the cabinet; to her right, Mr. Green,  L. H., Mrs. Campbell,  E.M., W. B. Cooper.  Hands held throughout the rest of the sitting.

All sing  "Jingle Bells."  In about two minutes the bell rings.  Gives long, short and various combinations on request.  Mary M. claims she sees Walter.  She also hears him say, "Pity the Old Man (Dr. Hamilton) isn't here!  He won't believe you!"

Lillian H.: "Oh, I'll tell him!  We have a lawyer (Mr. Green) as a witness!"

Walter/Mary M.: "Oh, That won't help you!  The nearer you are to a lawyer, the farther you are from grace!"

The group is told there may be seven next time.  This is the first time that the Bell on the cabinet wall rings.  Bell-box is 5 feet, 6 inches from floor, and cannot be reached by seated mediums or sitters.

Mary M. and E.M. and sitters did not know the box was on the cabinet wall until they entered the séance room at 8:30 p.m., just before the sitting began. 
[At the bottom of the sheet the signatures of Mrs. E. Poole, Lillian Hamilton, Henry Green, C. B. Cooper, and Elizabeth Marshall (initials)(E.M. ).]


April 29, 1928.

E.M.: 

Vision:

"I got Stevenson.  I got him as a little boy and I got him as a man.  I was on a boat and I could not get steady.  Well, I got him as a very tiny little boy going to bed with a candle he was carrying.  Then I got him in the same picture going (to bed) as in the summer - a long clear night.  It was up that kind of high street where the door halved in two, and I went with him up that stair.  I went with him when he had the candle and I went with him when he did not need it.  I got him where he was along with black people, four or five, and they were sitting at a table and they were all taking dark stuff out of a wooden bowl ... he was not pleased at it.  He stood as a young man out in the open and shook his head as much as to say he could not take that."

"I got Livingstone.  I got him on a man's back crossing the water. Well, after he got across this water, it was just pouring rain.  He had a few things carrying in a bag and I did not follow him after he left the water.  It was still raining."

"I got  Charles Spurgeon and Stead and I can't tell you who came first, I can't tell you which one come."  

"I know I think Spurgeon.  He gave me quite a talk.  They were in beautiful long robes.  They never came away from the side of the mountain.  You would have thought they were attached to it.  Both of them  stood talking to each other."

"Then Spotty (Flammarion) came.  He wants to talk but he fills my throat with needles."

No Walter phenomena.


May 2, 1928.  

Walter/Mary Marshall: 

"I can't get enough power for that bell.  Don't touch that bell until Sunday.  Then I'll ring it!  I need everybody to get the power.  I am placing a circle of ectoplasm over your heads.  I will place my ectoplasm in the (bell) box."        
        

May 4, 1928.

Present:  E.M,  Dr. and Lillian Hamilton, Mr. J. MacDonald,  T.B. McMillan,  Rev. and Mrs. D. McCrae.

Mrs. Poole only present; Mary Marshall absent.  
The medium passed into trance as usual and after a series of Trance  Intervals, gave the following report:

E.M. in trance: 

"I was on a boat both times the night.  I saw that man with one leg; it is a peculiar leg, small and then it gets to be a round ball at the lower end close to above the knee."  

I came with Stevenson from a nice little house on the hill.  I was up in his room and as usual it was littered with papers.  Well, I came on down with Stevenson and got on his boat.  This man with a wooden leg was cranky and there were three or four young-looking sailors on there with him."

"Well, my next time I was on the same boat and they seem to be making fun with this man with the one leg.  I could not get half the thought the night.  Stevenson was on the boat and another with him, a young man, twenty years or over.  He had on white pants with a tweed coat with a belt around it.  The coat was a heather mixture."

"I got Livingstone.  We were on quite a lot of water with them,  too.  He had a few men with him.  They came through a very wet place, not the sea, a river; and some of them  were carrying something.  Some went across in a boat and some went to the other side and it seemed as a bridge-like thing was between here and there.  I know we landed over on a different side of the water.  Two other white men were with him.  A lot of darkies were with him, too.  Livie had on a light coat, linen, and he went on a peculiar little affair - a boat."

"I saw Stead and C. H. Spurgeon and Spotty." 

"He had on a dark blue suit.  On the table there was some kind of an affair like a telescope on a stand.  It was brass, heavy, and he was sitting examining it.  I saw no others with them .  No others in the room.  I looked around the room.  The decanter was on the buffet.  He was sitting facing it.  The table was at the left side, the instrument was on the table beside him.  The instrument was on some kind of a stand, it was standing on the table."  

"I saw C. H. Spurgeon.  He spoke to me and Spotty came in beside me.  Spurgeon had on a suit ... I can't tell ... it was dark anyway.  He talked quite a bit."  

"He and C. H .Spurgeon were standing.  I don't know whether he spoke to me.  I saw the sea later, and a big boat and big, big ropes, and I got the letters as reported."

"I now get a picture of some barrels and boxes and they are putting these things together.  I have seen this building.  One man is striking a match and putting it to it.  It is a frame building.  One is short and stout and the other taller.  They are foreigners.  They are off running ... they are off running.  The smaller one has on a kind of red and black sweater.  These barrels and stuff are burning and the smoke and flames are going up to near to this building.  I was too late noticing the name on this building."

Walter does not appear.

[ Early in 1928 Mrs. Mary Marshall became a regular sitter, member of the group.  Very soon thereafter her trance developed, and within a few weeks, "Walter" made his presence known, and the work took a different direction.]


May 6, 1928.                                                

Bell-box rings.

E.M. passes through various trance automatisms in about seven minutes.  R. L. Stevenson controls four of these, Livingstone the fifth, sixth and seventh belong to Stead, and the eighth to Spurgeon.

Visions are good.
                                                                        
In the second circle, Mrs. Marshall (later Dawn) occupies the cabinet and E.M. sits to the left of  W. B. Cooper.  About one minute after our new arrangement Mrs. Marshall says that  F. Y. M. is present. 

The bell on the cabinet wall rings.  The controllers hold the medium's (Mrs. Marshall's) hands all the time the bell is ringing.  Mrs. Marshall reports, "He says that you can take your flash light any time."
                        
Asked about the wax, the control replied that it would take a little time and added, "You want a lot for your money." 

Following this the bell rang various combinations on request of sitters.  

When sitters sing "Golden Slippers", Walter interjects the remark that he hopes there will be enough starry crowns also to go around.  

Dr. Hamilton asks if the bell-box is all right.  The reply comes back that it will do.  

Asked if he wanted it made differently the control replies, "Make it slimmer and I'll break it."
                                        
Further discussion as to photographing the bell-box and the changes advisable, were answered to the effect "That it was all right on the side of the cabinet but the crossbar could be removed."

Walter remarks that he could not ring the bell without the little fat woman (Elizabeth M.) He was never very fat himself. "Your wings sprout quicker if you are not fat."  

Dr. Hamilton: "How did you like the job at Minnedosa?"

Walter/Mary M.: "I have a good job."

Dr. Hamilton: "What kind of a job?"
                                                        
Walter/Mary M.: "Minding my own business."

Mrs. Marshall: "He is saying something."  

She listens intently.  Medium repeats the following: 

"Call upon a businessman; go about your business.  So a man of business can attend to his business."  

Medium remarks that she hears the voice in her right ear.  The left seems to be plugged.

Lillian H., Mr. Green, and W. B. Cooper report they felt touches, cool breezes, cobwebs across the face and sensation as if "power" were being taken from them .


May 10, 1928.

Walter/Mary M:        

Psychic light will appear.  (Lights seen first on September 23.)

Usual E.M.  automatisms and visions.

Following the E.M. circle, Mary M. in cabinet.  She goes into partial trance, hears a young man say, "Do you like peas soup?"  

Later she hears him say, "You must not take the picture till the last.  Keep the circle tight but relax yourselves.  Watch the right-hand corner of the cabinet.  Keep the circle tight.  Look to the right.  See the light."

The bell rings on and off many times.  We try to keep count and estimate that it rings fifty or more times.  

Walter asks if the old man is satisfied. (Evident reference to Dr. Hamilton's prolonged doubt as to the actuality of Walter's presence). 

Dr. Hamilton replies that he is.

We are told to keep our feet flat on the floor.  Elizabeth M., whose limbs are unusually short, remarks that we had better put her down a footstool.

The bell rings violently.  Suddenly the lid is dropped as if it had been held open part of the time.  

Mary M. passes into control of Black Hawk.  Mary Marshall makes three bows, hands folded across her breast, then right hand raised in the air, palm forward.

Black Hawk/Mary M.: 

"Good evening, Black Hawk here.  Much is going on now.  Great work.  So do you understand.  White man go away quick, sorry much sorry.  Come again.  Next time come stay.  Go away quick, come quick!  Leave quick!  Called quick, long way.

Asked if he knew Valentine, replies, "Valentine good man, much good man.  Moon Stone me know.  Me work with Moon Stone."

Questioned as to time, he replies, "Me no time."

Asked if they traveled quickly, he says, "Go quick like flash light.  Much light  here, bright light."  Asked about a suicide, he replies, "Very dark place him, very dark!  Very dark!"

He was questioned as to dwelling houses and he said that they had many "wigwams."

"Me live all the time.  Very beautiful ... flowers ... gold light ... no sleep ... no tired."
  
Asked about Christ, he replied, "Me no get there to Christ yet.  Much long way.  Me know Great White Spirit, Jesus.  Me must be good first; me no see Him yet.  Me come here always.  Good night."

Black Hawk departs with three bows and a peculiar Indian call.


May 13, 1928.

First circle: E.M. ; H. A. V. Green; Lillian Hamilton; Jessie McMillan; D. B.  MacDonald; W. B.  Cooper;  T. G. H..

Mrs. Poole in cabinet.  Usual trance and automatisms.

Second circle: Mary Marshall; H. A. V. Green; Lillian Hamilton; Jessie McMillan; D. B. MacDonald; Elizabeth Marshall;  W. B. Cooper.

Mrs. Marshall in the cabinet.  To her left: W. B. Cooper; Mrs. Poole; D. B. MacDonald; Jessie MacDonald; Lillian; (Gee?); Mrs. Marshall.

Guests:  Dr. F. Benner;  Mrs. C. Alder; Miss Kitty Alder; 

Hands held throughout séance.  Bell rings vigorously many times. 

Bell-box rings.  Isaac Pitblado, K.C.,  LL.D, observer.

E.M. : 

"I got Stevenson and a little girl with him.  They were playing in a room on a bed, one of those covered, with curtains hanging around.  They were having great fun there ... that was in the old house.  I am sure it was the father ... a big man and a round face ... not too stout.  This was the house on that street ... I went up through square beds of flowers.  I had another picture but I don't remember ... he was much older.  He was wanting to do something that his father was doing.  I saw his father and a few more elderly men here ... I don't know what they were doing ... a meeting ... and in this room some big pictures were hanging and a big table, and I don't know whether it was leather or what."

"I saw Livie amongst a bunch of slaves.  He seems to have great faith in these men.  They were gathered together and he was talking to them .  I saw tall trees with feathery branches."

"I saw Stead.  He was very pleased.  He was not in Earth clothes, nor was Spotty.  I saw a C. H.  Spurgeon. He was not in Earth clothes ... I saw him first in Earth clothes, however."

Medium says she sees fair man in front of  W. B. Cooper.  She says he is taking ectoplasm.

The bell rings three times.  Says probably flash may be taken three sittings on. Someone coughs and F. Y. M. is heard by the medium to say, "Take some soothing syrup."

The bell rang many times and in many long and short combinations.  Mr. Cooper could and did tell me before many rings that it was about to take place.  He said he could feel a cool breeze pass his forehead just before each ring.

Hands of all held throughout Marshal sitting.  Declaration signed before Pitblado, concerning supernormality.

Walter/Mary M. "Can't go on with tricks tonight.  I will give you the signal for firing the flash - six long rings, stop, then two.  Sitters to join hands."  Dr. Hamilton agrees.


May 14, 1928.

Prediction:        

Walter/Mary M: A face will appear soon.

Blackhawk/ Mary M.        (First face October 7)

(First Spurgeon face appears November 4)

Black Hawk/Mary M.:

"Everybody here see face soon. (Left hand out).  All friends very busy friends.  Me no see yet Christ Spirit.  May not come here then.  May work (hand in the air).  Me great work yet.  Oh, many, many great white spirits.  Oh, only in the great path.  Great White Spirit no come down; watch over friends."

Black Hawk, through Mrs. Marshall goes on: 

"Great work, great work!  Work  just beginning.  We must work in these spheres.  We are always with you.  Always, always with you."  Bows once, twice, both hands across breast, right hand up. 
"Good night, friends.  oooo--ooooo." (long peculiar call.)

First circle usual E.M. circle. Stevenson, Livingstone, and Stead in trance writings and visions.

Mary M. circle: M. M. in cabinet, to the left of her:  T. G. H.;  E.M. ;  Mrs. Campbell;  Mr. Cumming,  L. H.,  H.  Green.

No bell ringing.  Medium states that she hears Walter say that there is too much electricity in the air. (It is unusually warm; clouds are gathering but there is no thunder or lightning.)

Walter/M. M.: 

"Can't go on with the tricks tonight.  I will give you the signal for firing the flash.  I will ring six long rings, stop, then two."  Dr. Hamilton  agrees to wait for this.  Control further says that all sitters are to hold up their hands.
                                        
F. Y. M.  has some discussion with Dr. Hamilton and Mr. Cumming regarding electricity.  He says he handles electricity as energy.  Says he uses a high frequency many times greater than any known on Earth.  Also says that he uses forces from his world.  Says he is making a funny face over Mrs. Marshall's face, and that we will all see it after a bit.  He says Stead cooperates with him, and he must always have the same sitters or else the work will stand (remain static?).  He says that he takes power from each sitter.

He says "Good bye" at 10:30 p.m.  Mrs. Marshall sees him clairvoyantly go to the center of the room and pull himself up by something, and disappear.

                                                        
May 16, 1928.                

No bell ringing.  Plans made to produce a "picture."


May 20, 1928.

The vision of the two keys.  (Symbolical)
                
Walter very serious.  Scolds Dr. Hamilton.  Says white light breaks cords.

Circle reconstructed.  Mary M. in the cabinet.  To her left, Mr. Cooper, Mrs. Poole, Mr. Green, Mr. Pitblado at the back.

Mrs. Marshall hears Walter say, 

"Dr. Hamilton, you must not remove that bell from that shelf again; you have exhausted what I had stored; you must not take it from the séance room.  You must not take it into the light.  Curfew will not ring tonight.  You can sing just the same.  Dr. Hamilton, he wants you to understand he is doing something there to the bell.  You have broken the cords.  He's doing something else.  He will ring it next time.  He will build up cords again to the box.  He has a cord from every sitter around the table."
Dr. Hamilton asks if Walter wants a bigger box.  The control replies that it does the work.  

Mrs. Marshall now sees two keys in front of her.  They are placed on the table.  One has a hole in the back; the other is a skeleton key; it has a very long, long handle.  

"You will know in a little while.  Something is going to open."

Mary M. in trance.  

Black Hawk/Mary M. comes and speaks: 

"Good evening. I have come again, you see.  I no forget.  Many moons have gone.  I know no years.  I know no time.  All summertime ... beautiful, beautiful land!  We help those who come.  We bring them  out of their darkness."  

"Many are asleep yet.  They sleep ... some long, some  no. We pray.  You pray.  Pray to the Great White Spirit.  There's only one Great Spirit.  We are waiting to reach the great white throne of our Father God ..."

Black Hawk is asked what message he has for humanity.  

He replies:

"Do to your brother as you would your brother should do to you."  
He goes on to say that they were all brothers in the spirit land.  They all live in unity one with the other.  If I could take you for one little moment of time and show you the beauties of this plane, you would understand better.  It is bright and beautiful - all light.  I must hasten away now.  I am called a way."  Right hand up, bows one, two, three times. Then the call is given.

After the sitting: W. B. Cooper gets the impression to wait after the others are gone.  Dr. and Lillian Hamilton and Cooper sit in the dining room.  Mr. Cooper hears a voice speaking in his right ear.  Claims to be Walter.  The voice says: 


"I have made you wait tonight.  Don't touch the bell-box for six days.  Vibrations very good if you continue to keep the same sitters and have them sit on the same chairs.  Mark the chairs."