1927 - Jan 2 - Apr 21

1927

Jan 2 - Apr 21


January 2, 1927.

Script: 

R. L. Stevenson sounded very angry when trying to write - tears off paper.  No script.

Vision: 

"Oh, I was in a beautiful place with Stead the night.  It was in a cloud, so bright and shining.  It was a street I was in, and I seemed to pass through cloud after cloud.  I got Stead there and his robe was blue - blue-white.  He is a man just like yourself.  Stead told me quite a lot as he walked with me."

David Livingstone:

Operating on a woman's arm.  (Not placed)

David Livingstone has memories of becoming a "blood relation" to a young woman upon whom he had operated. ("Missionary Travels", page 417.)

W. T. Stead"

"Your medium has many spirit friends.  She must learn to leave or loosen her family circle." 

"Your medium is not a picture medium.  If you got another to assist her she would be good.  Keep on.  Have patience!"


January 6, 1927.

R. L. Stevenson Script: 

"Stepson Lloyd Osbourne ... literature."  

Vision: 

Of Lloyd writing,  R. L. Stevenson. standing over him ... vague..

D. Livingstone marriage customs.  (Quite clear)  (See "Missionary Travels", page 355).

Stead Script: 

"Your medium is upset tonight.  Never sit when your medium is annoyed.  I will write again when your medium is herself."


January 10, 1927.        

Special sitting for Stead.

A special sitting to get rid of "undesirables".

Early morning of January 11, Stead appears to E.M. in her home and asks for a special sitting.  E.M. reports to Lillian Hamilton that she saw Stead "laying down the law" to a great crowd of people, that he has got to be obeyed.

Stead writes:

"A private sitting with a few of my class!  You have a wonderful class but get them all to keep their minds on the medium.  You can jest a little.  It is good for me, me as well as the rest of you.  Your medium is much better tonight.  I have visited all of your chambers.  You have a fine boy there." (Referring to Glen.)


No  R. L. Stevenson or  David Livingstone.

Vision: 

"I see him in blue robes.  He was laying down the law, he has got to be obeyed.  Séance procedure must be followed."  


January 11, 1927.        

R. L. Stevenson Script: 

"Take my message over again - my stepson, Lloyd Osborne, has a taste and appetite for literature.  He will be interested in all my work soon."

Vision: 

"I saw Stevenson with the boy.  This boy was doing some writing.  Stevenson seemed quite pleased with him."

David Livingstone being entertained at Cassange.

Script: 

"The table of other men ...of  Bangoso ... because he wanted to ..."

Vision:

"Livingstone was having a good time as usual amongst a bunch of them.  They were all sitting around a big table.  It looked very warm weather - it sure did."

Verification: 

"Entertained by a Portuguese Commandant. ("Missionary Travels", page 318).

"I saw Stead on that ship but I did not go down.  His place was all crimson ... he was writing ..."

W. T. Stead:
"You'll have a marvelous medium."


January 12, 1927.

"You must not ask your medium to talk; her throat is not strong.  We would have talked through her.  She is good.  She is marvelous!"


January 16, 1927.          

R. L. Stevenson.  Again the returned Scot.

Script:        

                "A man it is a joy to see the pu'pit
                and the pews; to see the elders in state,
                And the pennies derling in the plate ..."

Vision: 

"I was in a church with Stevenson, the night, just looking on.  It was well filled with people.  There was no organ.  Then I never see the like!  I expect it was all elders, real old-fashioned elders were standing there.  I saw the plate and the money going in.  The elders seemed to be meeting with someone they were real friendly with.  His mother and father were with him.  He would be twenty or more.  This psalm was given out ... I don't know what it was.  I cannot tell now."

Verification: (From "A Scotsman's Return from Abroad".)

David Livingstone shooting a rhinoceros.  Danger from alligators.        

Script: 

"I have seen a rhinoceros standing apparently chewing and shot down - death - shot - stomach ..."  

(See "Missionary Travels", page 223.)

Vision:

"I saw Livie. I saw a great big rhinoceros.  It fell down and did not rise.  A lot of dark men came up and looked on."

W. T. Stead.  More instruction re procedure.

        
"I saw Stead in a lovely home in the Old Country.  He was talking to others."



January 20, 1927.        

R. L. Stevenson. 

Script: 

Poor script and vision.  Fearful of "undesirables".

David Livingstone. 

Script: 

"Leone Consoge.  Men wish to turn back."  Fair.

("Missionary Travels", page 323.)        

Mrs. Mary Marshall is a guest.  Goes into trance.  Speaks to Mr. W. B. Cooper in Parsee language, which Mr. Cooper spoke as a boy of 12 in India.  Mrs. Marshall had absolutely no knowledge that such a dialect even existed, and had never met Mr. Cooper before.

W. T. Stead asks that water be put in the room to drive out undesirables.

Dr. Hamilton: "Why do you come to us?"

Script: 

"Giving you a chance ... to enlighten you.  I wish I had the chance once again!  W. T.  Stead." 
        

January 23, 1927.        

R. L. Stevenson. 
Script: 

"This present human business ..."

Vision:

"Writing at Vailima,  attended by his servant.  Stevie does not look well.  He was long and thin in his face, and his hair floating about as usual."

David Livingstone.

Vision:

"I saw Livingstone.  He was in bed at first.  Then in the second I got a few more were sick and he was looking after them.  He lifted a towel and then he went off - mad - There was a woman eating and putting lots of sugar on it.  The sugar was very dark.  Livie stampit his foot at her." 

(Verification; "Missionary Travels", page 356.)

"The Master was ill.  I found the slaves making a regular uproar in the place.  Often when the sugar bowl came to the table it was empty; but investigating, I found the work woman sitting eating apples and sugar."

At Stead's request, the sitting group had just sung the hymn "Nearer, My God, To Thee!"

W. T. Stead script: 

"Thanks friends, for your singing.  You can't get the heart and depth that is sounding when we heard it last on earth.  May you never have the same experience!  It was terrible!  Goodnight, and God bless you all!  William Thomas Stead."

Stead Vision: 

"I got Stead in a beautiful big steamer and the boat going down.  You can't sing "Nearer, My God to Thee", like they do.  You should see them up with their hand's!  Women crying and men crying - some went to jump over."  

"I was stationed in the center of that boat, standing.  There was an awful noise and burning.  And they were crying and screaming and running here and there, and they did not know what to do.  Some were in their night-clothes."  

"Stead was beside the band.  I felt the boat go and I lost all!"

(The Titanic's band, and a large group of passengers, of which Stead was one, stood on the deck, singing and playing this hymn, as the boat slowly rolled over, and many were drowned.)



January 28, 1927.        

R. L. Stevenson.  Something about being near death.  Poor script.

Script: 

"Hopeful - inspired - near death ..."

Vision:

"Stevenson was on a bench outside a house just sitting.  He was writing.  He had on a big highland coat with a cape.  His wife was there."

In the quiet of the D. Livingstone trance, E.M. jumps suddenly.


David Livingstone. 

Script: 

"I dismounted and advanced toward the principal and told him how easily I could kill him.  But I fear God.  I can't kill!"

Vision: 

"I saw Livingstone jumping off a horse, and he went forward and a man was going to kill him! Livie pointed a gun at him and then drew back."

("Missionary Travels", page 303.)
Vision:

"I got Stead in a room.  He looked so nice in his spirit-robes."

W. T. Stead script.  He writes re Glen.

"Good evening, friends.  Where is your boy tonight? (Glen).  He is not in his chamber.  I have been studying that boy! Let him push on the piano or the fiddle.  A strong boy.  Will hold his own.  Goodnight.  W. T. S."
                        
Dr. Hamilton asks Stead:

"What is the matter with R. L. Stevenson?  We cannot read much of his writing."

W. T. Stead:

"He is not strong - never got over it - he will do better presently."


January 28, 1927

Letter to J. Malcolm Bird - report on Dr. and Mrs. Crandon's visit in Winnipeg - the main Winnipeg daily paper did a good job of covering the psychical research that Dr. Hamilton has been pursuing. 

The Crandon's visited from December 21 to December 24 of 1927 with the Hamiltons - in spite of that every function held for the Crandon's was filled to capacity and some failed to get entrance.

There was a lecture by doctor Crandon which had space for 500 and which crowded in 600 - mainly professionals - one pastor of a large church remarked that it was the finest crowd he had ever seen.

The lecture was on the topic of the 'Margery' phenomena. 

During her days in Winnipeg, Mrs. Crandon gave three sittings - all the phenomena were observed by at least 40 people from Winnipeg.


January 30, 1927.        

R. L. Stevenson.

Script: "It was a play ... contract ... grew sick ... work of a novice ..."

Reference to contract to write play "Work of a Novice."

(Comment: Is this a reference to R. L. Stevenson's attempt to collaborate with Henley in writing plays? This took place while R. L. Stevenson was living at Bournemouth when he was very ill most of the time.)

Vision: 

"I got Stevenson in a room and he had on a bathrobe.  He looked awful sick the night.  There was something wrong.  He wanted some books put away.  He seemed as if he was finishing up some work he had left undone."

(See Balfour re R. L. Stevenson and Henley.)

David Livingstone:

Script: 

"Here there was no consumption or insanity or scrofula.  Years ago there was smallpox and measles which cut many off."

Vision: 

David Livingstone is seen with sick men; he later talks to them.

Verification: (See "Missionary Travels", page 431.)

Vision of Stead, giving the circle directions.

Script:

"Do not let strange hands touch your medium's hands.  You have good sitters with power."

February 2, 1927

Memories of Scottish hills and other Scottish features.

9:23 p.m.        singing.

9:28 p.m.         Mrs. Poole began to go into trance

9:30 p.m.        deep trance

9:34 p.m.        began writing in a very dashing hurried manner

R. L. Stevenson script:

"Hill tops."

Vision:

R. L. Stevenson seen on some high hills - white heather - hornpipes. Wears a Balmoral Cap.

David Livingstone script: 

"English traders demanded ..."        (not verified.)

Vision: 

"I saw Little Determination. He had a bunch of British men and they wanted something.  The blacks were carrying wood and water."

Vision:

Stead seen in a cloud in a blue light.

W. T. Stead criticisms re the circle.


February 6, 1927.        

R. L. Stevenson. 

Script:         

        "The brooding boy and sighing maid,
        Meet at the hazel brook."  

("Underwoods", page 100.)

Vision:

"I saw Stevenson.  He was saying something about two young people, a boy and a girl walking away.  The two came and sat on a stone near a spring of water.  Stevenson was down standing near where the young couple was.  She had on a bright waist, plum colored, and little buttons down the front.  The boy had on a school suit with long pants.  R. L. Stevenson was just looking on."

David Livingstone script: 

"She was of another tribe and color - the man who claimed her had neglected her ... and I went to look for him but found him unsuccessful in crop."  

("Missionary Travels", page 437.)

Vision:  

"Livie had a black woman.  She was lamenting to him over  something.  He was not pleased.  He went out and got another man and laid down the law to him.  The crops were very scraggly - real withered.  The man put the woman away or he neglected her.  I took it the woman had left him and Livie had brought her back."

W. T. Stead vision: 

"You mind one time I was on the boat and going down?  Well, I was on the boat that night and went down with them.  I saw a good many but I was with Stead."

W. T. Stead.  A request and instructions.


February 10, 1927.        

R. L. Stevenson script:        

A. "You may still be bright and happy - that is how the children in ancient ages grew to be Kings."  

B: "You may close the happy doors at last and enter the land of nod." (CGV, page 37.)
        
Vision: 

"R. L .Stevenson and his wife on a high hill."

Sees him talking to a boy outside his home.  (CGV  p.37)

David Livingstone. Slaves at the seashore (cannibals)

Script:

"My men told me that they had been informed I was taking the men to seashore - tribes sold - the colonial people to be fattened  and killed."

Vision: 

"I saw Livie.  He had a whole lot of men.  He was taking them away and we came to the seashore and we walked on till we came to some huts. I lost Livie." 

Verification: (See "Missionary Travels", page 335.)

W.  T. Stead.  Instructions.

February 13, 1927.                                 Sunday.

9:14 p.m.        sitting commenced

9:14 p.m.        singing started

9:17 p.m.        still singing - trance commencing

9:22 p.m.         Deep trance

9:23 p.m.        still singing softly

9:24 p.m.        singing stopped

9:25 p.m.        still silent 

R. L. Stevenson. 

Memories of the Edinburgh bazaar and the CGV "My Kingdom". 

(Not verified)

Script:  

"Samples about ... goods hanging on the walls of the Baggars ..."  
(See Life, 1866.)        

          "I built a boat I built a town, 
For me a bee came by to sing.          

(CGV., page 43.)

Vision:

"Then I saw R. L. Stevenson as a little boy, sailing a toy boat down at the shore.  A lot of bees came by; they seemed tame." 

"I saw a great sale of work ... all hanging on the wall; lots of anti-macassars and something I have not seen for a generation ... mutches, beautifully faggoted.  

R. L. Stevenson and his mother and his nurse were there. 

I saw a date: 186?   I could not get the rest.  I saw some samples worked too ..."  

David Livingstone script: 

"Natives - one worthy of question." (Not placed.)

Vision:

"... I got no extra picture with Livie.  He was with a bunch of niggers, and he was putting down names and something else.  He did not speak to me.  He is always on the prance!  

(Not verified.)

W. T. Stead states faith in God's guidance.  A personal  thing.

Script: 

"Whatever my God ordains is right.  Truly He will abide.  I will be still whatever he doeth.  I will follow where He goeth.  W. T.  Stead."


February 20, 1927.

9:12 p.m.        sitting began

9:15 p.m.        singing started

9:20 p.m.        trance commencing

9:21 p.m.         Deep trance

9:22 p.m.        writing fast

9:25 p.m.        singing softly again

9:25 p.m.        and of first control - deep trance

9:26 p.m.         still singing softly

9:27 p.m.        writing - not so fast but heavier on the paper

9:28 p.m.        stop writing - end of second control


February 21, 1927.        

R. L. Stevenson.

Script:        

A. "Through the windows of this book you will see in a garden children play far, far away."  (CGV., page 81.)
                                                        
B.  "Come and see my children sleep, sweetly sleeping, dreaming of the little birds ..."

Vision: 

"I saw Stevenson reading from a book.  I saw books.  I don't know when I got into that house.  There were children outside the house, playing."

David Livingstone vision: 

"I saw Stead in the Other World, in robes."

Dr. Hamilton: "What does the world need most today?"

Script: 

"Peace and harmony.  Put a bunch of those rogues in prison! 
W. T.  S."
        
(E.M. sees Stead put his forefinger up; he speaks.  What he says is law and is going to be done!)

E.M. repeats "What he says is going to be done."

Vision 

Of Stead laboring to exclude an "undesirable."  He looks like a man that what he says is the law, and going to be done!"

W. T. Stead.  Instructions.   


February 22, 1927.                

Special sitting for Lady Tupper.

R. L. Stevenson.  "Looking Glass River".  

Script:  

A. "faces in a shaken pool"   (CGV., page 31.)

Vision: 

Shows R. L. Stevenson sitting on the shore watching a sailing ship.

B.        "I called the little pool a sea.
        The hill looks big to me.
        In this world I am King.  (CGV., page 43.)

Script and vision - native women building a hut. 

(Not verified). 

(At the sitting a charming but worldly woman, Lady Tupper, had been a guest.   Stead took exception to her presence.  (See following script.) 

[There does not appear to be a 'following script'. W. D. F.]

W. T. Stead script:

"You are doing good work for your fellow  man.  Have more gentlemen; it makes it too hard on your medium.  God bless her! 
 W. T.  Stead."

Vision: 

"I saw Stead in the Other World, in robes."


February 25, 1927.                

R. L. Stevenson.  Section of poem "The House Beautiful".  Good.
Script:  

"When daisies go shall winter-times silver the grass - the rain - How shall your children shout and sing?"

Verification: ("Underwoods", page 107.  "The house Beautiful".)

Vision: 

"I got R. L. Stevenson pulling flowers.  They were daisies.  He was about 30.  This was a stone house with a thatched roof - an open fireplace - plates in a row on a shelf - a rag mat at the door. I did not see the sea, but I felt it not far off."

David Livingstone. Ready to fight.  Preaches peace.

Script: 

"I advanced and dismounted ... I would kill ..." ("Missionary Travels", page 303.)  

Vision:

"I was away fighting with Livie.  He was on horseback.  I don't know what he said to them but he settled without fighting.  The fight did not come off."

W. T. Stead.  More instructions and criticisms.

February 26, 1927.        

R. L. Stevenson script: 

"Choose before the spirit die and stab the spirit broad awake - piercing me - killing me - "

 ("The Celestial Surgeon", "Underwoods", p. 119.)

Vision: 

"I got Stevenson on the Other Side.  He was not in Earth clothes.  He was talking to someone.  He had on white clothes.  I could not see who he was talking to."

David Livingstone enters Loando.  The Bangola.

Script:

"Through the country for hours through meadows and forests into Loando and Han ... enter the village of the traders."

Vision: 

E.M. goes with Livie to a nice village. A tall dark native is friendly."                  

(See "Missionary Travels", page 231, 333-4-5, 246.)

W. T. Stead script:
"You are too ready in allowing strangers into your class.  It gets them nowhere.  It is not required - one of the high-class ladies, so-called, spoiling all good.  Here the poor often get the best places.  W. T. S."

Talks of the status of individuals on the  Other Side.  Our standards are not theirs; often the  poor have the higher places.


February 27, 1927.                

R. L. Stevenson.        

Script: (badly written.)  

A.   "we may forget the beautiful ..."

"Thank you, friends, and my Lowland woman; it is good work you are doing for your fellow men.  Commence again.  R. L. S."

Vision of R. L. Stevenson in bed in Vailima.

R. L. Stevenson script: 

"Sleep night - the farmers carts were coming in, in the early morning."

("Underwoods", page 126.  Balfour, volume 1I, page 3535.)
Vision: 

R. L. Stevenson as a child, being carried by his nurse.

David Livingstone script:  

"She was a widow.  We parted in the best possible terms with Shinto - proceeded up the old path to his sister Nyawomai."  ("Missionary travels", page 414.)

Vision: 

Ill, carried by servants. (See Last Journals.)

"Next I saw Livingstone.  I was in some kind of town and they were running wild in the streets.  I came to a small hut and a young woman in there ... poorly dressed.  She seemed to be something to this man talking to Livie because  they met as friends."

Vision: 

"There was a great fair on.  These Indians  (dark people) or
 whatever they are - go down on their hands and knees.  One man brought the woman forward and made the men come forward to salute her. Livie was there with a white suit and hat on.  All had different colors.  I was standing not far from them."

("Missionary Travels", page 238).
 Script: "Good evening, friends. Your medium must have calm while absent from the world; her friends here have not freedom around her.  W. T.  S."


March 3, 1927./(February 31, 1927?)

R. L. Stevenson.

Poor script - illegible.

David Livingstone.  

Parting from Shinto.

T. G. H.: "What about Julia?"

W. T. Stead script: 

"I have met her.  I got into communication with my friend Julia.  She is on a different plane.  W. T.  S."

(Stead was a fine automatic writer in life.  His dead friend, Julia Ames, wrote through his hand, describing her post-mortem experience.  Published 1818. "Letters From Julia"; the book went into many editions.)


[ Photo of fingertip - fingerprint ]


[ Photo  ]


March 6, 1927.

R. L. Stevenson.  

Memories of childhood illness.  

Cummie and  morning carts of Edinburgh.

David Livingstone.  

Greeting a female chief. 

W. T. Stead.  Instructions.

T. G. H.: "How does E.M. see these visions?"

Script: 

"She sees with her eyes.  It is wonderful.  She can give you a very good description of it all."


March 12, 1927.        

R. L. Stevenson. 

Memories of Nice.  Not clear.

Script: 

Illegible - something about "foreign"; vision of town - name - "Nice".
David Livingstone. 

Script:  

Minan? ... Sekole  ... to send the message ..."

Vision: 

"I was in a hut with Livie.  It seemed as if he had been directing a man to do something, and they would not do it.  He seemed cranky.  I saw a lot of his friends ... all Blacks ... no whites around ... There were some bones of animals in the hut."  

("Missionary Travels", page 433 - animal bones.)

Animal bones found in hut.  Natives are afraid.

W. T. Stead.  Worried: too many visitors in the séance  room.


March 13, 1927.          

R. L. Stevenson.  

Script poor:

Illegible. "cry to the land - around islet - the great mountains." 

(Not placed.)

Vision: 

"Stevenson was not right in the night; he was in one of his fidgets.  He had a wrap around him."

David Livingstone. 

Seeds from Angela.  (Clear)

Script: 

"My men collected a great quantity of seed and distributed them - friends - carried garlic, onions and bird's eye pepper and sugarcane and others - to use as relish ..."

Vision:

"I was in a garden with Livie ... everything you could mention was in it.  They gathered a lot of plants and were eating them and giving them away to the blacks around.  All seemed to be pleased. 

("Missionary Travels", page 413.)

W. T. Stead.  Says E.M. sees the vision with her eyes.  She is wonderful!


March 17, 1927.        

9:11 p.m.        started singing

9:19 p.m.        trance commencing

9:20 p.m.        deep trance

9:23 p.m.        writing

9:25 p.m.        pencil thrown down - singing started again


9:25 p.m.         Dr. Hamilton says very vigorous handshake.

9:26 p.m.        writing again - very slow this time

9:27 p.m.        still in deep trance

9:30 p.m.        pencil thrown down

9:30 p.m. - 9:31 p.m.        another deep trance

9:34 p.m.        singing stopped - and writing started - writing very fast

9:36 p.m.        still writing fast

9:36 p.m. - 9:37 p.m.        pencils thrown down and singing started - very softly - deep trance - while Dr. Hamilton asks questions

9:38 p.m.        still deep trance

9:38 p.m.        writing - still writing slowly - sounds jerky

9:39 p.m.        writing stopped - singing started very softly

9:40 p.m.        out of trance

R. L. Stevenson.  Boyhood.  (Not clear)

Mrs. Poole says something (scribbling)

"I saw three or four of them tonight.  I got (.....)" 

Script:  "Good - bright - for a boy of 15 years."

Vision: 

"Stevenson was a boy of 14 or 16 and in school.  I followed him from school to home.  His nurse is still with him.  She gave him some milk; they were in a kitchen.  I could see a big dresser covered with dishes." 

(True. Cummie was with R. L. Stevenson until he was 16.)

Verification: "Masson", page 45.

Vision:
" He looked awful sick.  The bath robe was kind of dark grey with dark braid or trimming.  He had quite a lot of books around and he wanted them put away.  It seemed to me as if he was finishing up a lot of books.  He seemed to be finishing up some work that he had left undone.  I don't know how I got to the house.  His wife was sitting reading a ..." 

David Livingstone.  A housekeeper wanted by brothers.  A fight.

Script illegible.  

Vision: 

"I saw Livingstone and some men and a woman there.  There was one woman they watched, she was housekeeper to one of them."  ("Missionary Travels", p. 185-6.)

W. T. Stead.  Keep minds on medium.  Need good  personnel.


March 20, 1927.        

Death.  Preparation and Burial.

R. L. Stevenson script: 

"Strange to behold in the hour of death ... unlike other people."
Verification: "Intimate Portraits", page 147.

Vision: 

"I was away on the island.  I saw him playing tennis, and on the next court were officers and they were playing there too.  These courts was not properly finished as they are clearing out the bush and rocks and different things. (See"Intimate Portraits", page 147, for court.) Stevenson and the lad (Lloyd Osbourne) had on white pants.  The lad is quite tall.(True) The officers looked, as men from a boat, with their caps." (True) 

"Then I got a peculiar picture next time ... Stevenson lying on a kind of stretcher ... single bed ... dying.  This same young lad (Lloyd Osbourne) was standing beside him.  It was the same young lad that was doing most for him.  Stevenson did not seem to be alive.  I saw them putting a white shirt on him. (True)."

David Livingstone.

Script and vision poor.  

Deals with snake in bush.


March 25, 1927.

Continuing story of R. L. Stevenson's death and Burial.
Reference to his spirit breaking toward the  last.

Preparing the road to top of Mount Vaea

R. L. Stevenson. 

Script: 

"He had no courage - spirit broke at last."

Vision: 

"I saw a lot of men cutting down bush and trees; they had picks or something else.  I saw a grown up fellow ... white ... he went out and sent them to work at making down the forest of trees.  They used picks and a big long thing.  I did not see Stevenson.  I saw him afore that, and he was resting on the side of a bed.  He did not look well."

David Livingstone. 

Snakes in dense bush.

W. T. Stead script: 

"Your medium is giving you more than have all others.  Her work is wonderful.  If you want good results keep regular sitters.  And stop putting strangers in.  Plan to help.  W. T.  S."

Plea to keep the same sitters. 

"Walter  greeted her as she came in tonight."


March 27, 1927.        

Dr. Mitchell present as guest.

R. L. Stevenson. 

Poor script.  

Vision again of cutting road to  grave.

Script: illegible.

Vision: 

"I was away with R. L. Stevenson in Scotland.  I saw the hills and mountains and it was rainy and I saw a little village."

"Then I was drawn to this other place.  I saw these men ... I think it is a road they are making.  There's a lot to do, and an awful lot of men at work, most of them dark.  They are taking out trees ... leveling the way."  

It was this hill where I saw the stone.  The stone was not there. One tall white man was the overseer." (True - Lloyd Osbourne.)  
"I did not see Stevenson in this.  The road was rough ... if it is a road.  There was no path beyond these men." (See "Intimate Portraits".)

D. Livingstone Script:

Man hunting lost wife. (Not placed.)

An old chief asks for his wife.

W. T. Stead.  

Criticisms.  Objects to irregular attendance.


[ Photo of table levitating sideways - Dr. Webster in corner - Mar 30, 1927 ]


[ Photo of fingertip - Mar 30, 1927 ]


April 7, 1927.                

R. L. Stevenson.  

"To be happy resting we may require a bed of  roses.  If that should fail you should try a bed of  nettles."  

(Sounds like R. L. Stevenson.  But not verified)

David Livingstone script: 

"Through the country for hours through meadows and forests into Loando and Han ... enter the village of the traders."

Vision: 
E.M. goes with Livie to a nice village. A tall dark native is friendly."

(See "Missionary Travels", page 231, 333-4-5, 246.)


April 10, 1927.        

R. L. Stevenson script:        

A.        "In a cherry tree who should climb but little me. I held the arm around the trunk and looked around for foreign lands. (CGV., page 8.)

B.        "When I have grown to man(s) estate I shall be very proud and great."        (CGV., page 12.)

Vision:

"I got a dandy picture of Stevenson the night.  I got one with him in a tunic and belt; the ladder was there and he was in a tree ... like an apple tree, though I saw no fruit.  I think R. L. Stevenson was five or six years of age.  Another boy was at it."

"Everything was very clear.  In the second picture he was sitting on the bank alone with a great big hat on.  He looked smaller than in the picture in the tree."

David Livingstone script: 
"A view of the leading chiefs were gathered on my account and Mr. Moffat.  All had great regard for him, as he had been one of their best ..." 

(not yet placed.)

Vision: 

"I saw Livie too.  A lot of blacks, they made a fuss over Livingstone.  Other white people were there beside Livie.  He was younger than I've seen him."

W. T. Stead:

"I saw Stead right here.  I don't think he said much."

Script: 

"Your friend Walter greeted her as she came in tonight.  Ask her."

Walter is to come.

(E.M. mentioned only her three main communicators - R. L. Stevenson,  David Livingstone, and W. T.  Stead.")


April 12, 1927.

Dr. Hamilton asks of W. T. Stead: 
"Do you think there is any possibility of this medium producing teleplasms?  Her telekinetic powers are very great, and one would think minor materializations might be forthcoming."

W. T. Stead script: 

"You will get a picture yet."  

"But you have one or two sitters who don't give much power.  They absorb quite a bit."  

Have patience.  Get another medium.  

Keep on; you will be rewarded.  An old friend of mine will appear.  I myself am tired.  W. T.  S."


April 14, 1927.        

Death and Burial. Bed By Day.  NB.

R. L. Stevenson.  His death.  Memory of death.  (Our day done -  the coffin.  "Dead in a Summer")

Script: 

"When your own day is done - the coffin - one of a number of papers about myself - Lloyd - The end, eighteen-ninety-four, thirty-three years ago.  It is one of the hardest things, when the sky is blue and clear, to go to bed by day."   (See CGV I.)

Vision: 

"I saw Stevenson.  I thought he was dead.  I got two pictures.  I saw him ... dead ... and a whole lot of them dark men were carrying a coffin.  They carried it up a hill.  They seemed to be very sad, these men."

"In one picture I got Stevenson as if he was on the Other Side ... he had on a beautiful cloak from head to foot; it was like the color of the clouds ..."

"Then I saw Stevenson as a little boy getting undressed.  But he was not pleased; the woman, the nurse, was undressing him."

Comment:         

R. L. Stevenson died December 3, 1894 - 33 years before this script of 1927.)

(Comment re R. L. Stevenson.  He used the figure of the child being put to bed by his nurse, to represent death putting him to bed, in life.  See Letter to Gosse, December, 1879. ("Letters", volume II, page 87, 88.)

David Livingstone script: 

"Well, friends, I will never forget the day I arrived at Port to see what I was up against, and know I was on the Lord's side.  He was with me."

Vision of a David Livingstone getting off the boat.

Important.

David Livingstone writes directly to the group regarding his first landing in Africa.  

(No record of this)

W. T. Stead.  

Words of encouragement to go on.


[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"you must inquire of his sister"


[ Photo  ]

[Stead answers question.   "What about 'bigger'"]

[Single sheet - automatic writing.]

"Margery Circle allow"


[ Photo  ] 

[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"him to come" 


[ Photo  ]

Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"as he would"


[ Photo ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing.]

"like"


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"W. T. S."


[ Photo  ]

R. L. Stevenson.

[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"when you have some"


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing.]

"of the greatest of a friends"


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing.]

"and  your own"


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"day is done"


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"bring in the"


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"coffin"


[ Photo  ]


April 17, 1927.        

Photos start.

Not clear.  Memory of vision destroyed.    

David Livingstone script:  

Short, referring to a flood.  (Not placed.) 

No Vision - the flash light appears to have destroyed it.

David Livingstone.  

Flood reference not clear.  Livingstone appears at first part of the trance to take the shock of the flashlight.

David Livingstone shifts his position from Section  II of Trance to Section  I.  He takes  R. L. Stevenson's place so that he can take the shock of the flash light when Dr. Hamilton photographs E.M. in the first stage of trance onset.

R. L. Stevenson. 

Script is poor.

Vision: 

"It's hard to tell R. L. Stevenson's age.  His hair is pretty long, hanging over his forehead."

"No pleased with the lad's writing."

W. T. Stead vision:

Of Titanic drowning and singing  "Nearer, My God, to Thee."

[Single sheet - automatic writing.]

"nearer my God to thee"


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"O God, be with us" 


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"all and those"


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"we leave"


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"behind"


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing.] 

"Must get moving (.........)"


[ Photo  ]

Flash taken of medium in deep trance (.............)  D. Livingstone then writes.]

[Single sheet - automatic writing.]

"village on the banks of the ..."


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"we crossed the river(?) and joined the messenger"


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

Question:

"Have you a message for the 'church'?"

"God's house should be well supplied"


[ Photo ]
        
[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"been in you both one church."


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing.]

"the good auld kirk"


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing. ]

"great different kind of fish"


[ Photo  ]

[Single sheet - automatic writing.]

"102 species in"


[ Photo  ]


[ Photo of Elizabeth Poole with head on Dr. Hamilton's shoulder ]


April 21, 1927.         

R. L. Stevenson. Not clear, confused.

Script is poor; both visions confused.  E.M. very tired.

Dr. Hamilton: 
"Do you, R. L. Stevenson, find the medium hard to use when she is physically tired?"

R. L. Stevenson: 

"Like myself when in the world, your medium is no idler - she likes to be on the go."

David Livingstone.  No message or vision.  Mixed with R. L. Stevenson.

Script: 

"About 150 years ago they went up into the mountains ..."

Vision: 

"I saw Livingstone, not Stevenson - wait until the perspiration breaks."  

( E.M. seems dazed, confused and tired.) 

"I saw R. L. Stevenson first; my picture was all spoiled the night - Livie was upset."

Comment: 

[Dr. Hamilton questions David Livingstone at once, after he had written and before E.M. came back to normal.  These questions were asked in order to get the communicator's reactions.]

Dr. Hamilton: 

"Livingstone, what good do you do by coming through?"

David Livingstone: 

"To show we still live - in a Better Land."

"Stead had a sitting of his own on his side.  I saw him quite clear."


[ Photo of Elizabeth Poole in deep trance - head on table - undated ]



[ Photo of Elizabeth Poole in deep trance - head on table - close-up - undated ]