1934 - Jan 28 - Feb 14

1934

Jan 28 - Feb 14


Ewan: "Yes, good, good!  But keep quiet!  Don't go shouting your good tidings to everybody.  Just look at that pig on the floor, how quiet he's keeping!  Sing something!"

9:25 p.m.        All sing "Where Are the Reapers?"

9:28 p.m.        Ewan (to L. H.): "We've got a real doormat over here; we can wipe our feet on him.  It's a good thick doormat (Gordon is quite a broad build).

Ewan carries on a conversation with L. H.; Florence whispering, "Good, good."

Ewan: "Keep quiet about it!  Put a gag on her!"

Mercedes' control interrupts, and Ewan tells her to keep out of the way.

9:32 p.m.        Walter/Ewan: "Hello, everybody!  I hope you will have a very good time. (Dawn jumps in her chair and Florence gasps.)  Oh, don't get excited.  Supposing one of their heads does come off, we can put it back on.  You know, when you jump like that I get quite nervous."

Florence: "Yes, it is cold."

Ewan: "As long as you confine yourself to remarks of that nature we are not likely to disagree with you."

Mercedes control (encouraging Florence): "Come, tell them  all about it.  Say what you are told to say and don't pay any attention to him.  I'm on your side."

Ewan: "Yes, and you've got me on the other side.  I'll contradict you.  Come along, talk to me."

Norrie attempts to speak, Florence says, "Yes, it is, it is."

Ewan: "Yes, it is not!  Everything you say will be taken down and repeated to you.  She is very reluctant to give evidence."

Florence: "Oh, it came again!"

Ewan (rises and goes to Florence): "It came and went.  We are getting on."

Mercedes control: "Yes, I'm quiet; but if I don't speak they'll think I'm not here."

Ewan: "Keep quiet! (To Florence).  You don't say enough.  Say what you think and don't give a damn for Ham.  He's not a gentleman anyway."

Florence: "Good, good!"

9:37 p.m.        Ewan: (bending over Gordon) "I wish Ham wouldn't put so many mediums on the floor.  How would you like to go on the floor?  You like to sit in your chair, don't you?  Yes, just where you can turn a lot of little taps."

Florence: "There is a bright light in the cabinet."

Ewan: "Is there really?  Good!  Let us give thanks! ... Ham, can you not whisper sweet nothings in her ear?

T. G. H.:(sweetly to Florence): "Nothing, nothing ..."

Florence: "Yes."

Ewan: "That just provokes her.  Can't you do better than that?  I can control him (Gordon) with my foot; and you can't even control with you lips."

Florence: "Yes, it is coming soon now."

Ewan: "It is not!  It is coming."

Florence: "Sing, Sing!"

9:42 p.m.        All sing "Jingle Bells."  T. G. H. carries on fragmentary conversation with Florence.  Gordon breathes heavily.

9:43 p.m.        Walter/Dawn: "Good evening, friends.  It is very difficult for me to get in touch with my medium ... I have been trying very hard ... Someone who wants to talk to you has been very disappointed because there was not a channel.  Stead has been here anxious to write but has not been given the opportunity.  He seemed very unhappy or disappointed at not being allowed to come and write for you.  There are two and two together that should be separated.  I wish it were possible for you to separate forces.  I have tried to ring your bell, but I do not seem  to get the power; a great deal is wasted.  I wanted you to be able to take a picture of the bell-box while it was ringing, but I have not been able to make any sound whatever.  The bell-box is all right - it is not necessary for you to examine it.  When I'm able to ring it I would very much like you to take a picture of the box.  Take it while the bell is ringing ... The power is of a spirit nature and a great deal has been wasted since the last meeting.  However, when the bell is ringing I would then like you to ask questions.  It would be a good time to try out your new what-you-call-it ... red or blue ... I would like if you would do then what it is you have to do.  How many pictures would you be able to take?"

T. G. H.: "If it is the infra-red, then we could take two in succession."

Walter/Dawn: "Have you only one camera?"

T. G. H.: "Yes."

Walter/Dawn: "Have it focused on the box.  I wanted you to have evidence when the bell is ringing that no one is interfering with me ... I cannot give it to you tonight."

"This medium is only partly under control, sufficiently to use for talking.  She seems rather alert or something; I don't know what, and she has too many coverings on - just the same as she had before.  It's terrible that you can't always keep to the one way.  I have told you and told her repeatedly that she would suffer neither cold nor heat while she is under control: for she is under the protection of those who will not harm her.  She could put warm clothes around her and leave the upper part of her body with only thin clothing.  It would make conditions easier.

"There are a great number of people who have come here.  Each is anxious to send messages; and all are anxious to cooperate.  It is very difficult when we do not meet oftener.  I will hold my medium now for a space and allow others to come through who are working in cooperation.  I will give instructions through one or the others."

9:56 p.m.        Walter/Dawn is silent.  All sing "Jingle Bells."

10:01 p.m.   Mercedes control: "Good evening, friends.  There is something the matter ... It seems to be so difficult to get the medium ... Yes, I have got my medium; but we do not seem  to be able to get the sympathetic chord that lets us know we are welcome.  There is a wall which is very difficult to surmount."

T. G. H.: "Between us as a group and you?"

Mercedes control: "I should not care to say that, for you are all earnest and willing workers.  It is perhaps the fault of those from our plane who are too anxious to use the power that can only be  adjusted through the influence of others.  All who come here to help in our work are very anxious to use the power in their own way.  There are many who are eager to work through you.  The gentleman who wrote through Mercedes (?)  at a previous meeting had his story all prepared; but was prevented by one of your controls.  He was disappointed.  He wrote of the planes before; and was intending to give you the series."

Ewan: "If you will keep your minds clear!  Come with expectancy, but do not come with your minds full of preconceived notions of what you are going to see.  Do not come expecting all concerned to talk to you.  Do not think of this one or that one; think of our good friend who controls things, so you can help and aid him in his work.  We will take care not to trespass him unless we are called in.  But there are others who do not know what is going on, but who see their dear ones, and who come to communicate.  It takes time to explain to them.

Come here with clear minds, not an expectation, but in humility and simplicity, and keep your thoughts free of those who come not to help but to interfere, and who take the precious power for your work.  And take care that your medium comes in good condition.  Walter comes here but he cannot use her when she is in a cross(gross?) and material way.  I speak of her thoughts which are concerning material things."

Katie/Mercedes: "Yes, friends, he speaks good truth.  That is one of the reasons why we cannot break down the wall which surrounds our mediums: when they are too much concerned with things of the material, we cannot get them .  When they do not come in a special condition and are not prepared to cast aside the worries of the material, the controls can't give you the fine work. That is why the work is slower and unsatisfactory."

Ewan: "If you could have that faith which we would have you have you would think less of the material.  It is a pity that you can't break down this condition and give to your medium more spiritual thoughts.  If they could talk to you in a spiritual way then you will not need to come here at all.

"We have nearly completed this experiment which we gave to Walter to consummate; Walter, who can manipulate this mechanism as no one we know can do it.  We planned to give you this experiment to show and teach you the nature of the substance you call ectoplasm.  We almost completed this work.  Thereafter, began the second experiment.  Now, I cannot say whether the first will ever be completed.  It will be done when God wills.  Perhaps we have gone too far ... I would have given you the explanation and demonstrations by simply pointing to things you have not seen, by explaining how these forces are used ..."

"Can you conceive of the world that is not a world of matter, my friend?  This world of yours which you called matter is only material because you term it so.

"Each hour and day and year man presses onward in his conquering of the material.  Each explanation he stumbles upon, each fact which with sweat and pain he discovers of the nature of the universe, gives him  pause, until he thinks of the explanation; and each explanation which is vouchsafed him leads him on to the truth; the truth of all things material which is in the end the Spirit of God.  How, now, you look upon wider expanses even when you look upon the least of things.  How, now, you realize that you cannot take a grain of sand and say, "This is a grain of sand; or, that is a blade of grass."  Closer and closer to you comes the understanding that matter dissolves.  That is a great thing, my friends, and that is the key to all things."

"If you think these sayings are hard, think on how little you know.  Does it seem  to you that as your wise men talk to you that such things become more solid?  Conceive, then, of the universe wherein thought shall be clear of all material surroundings, and yet consist of energy that can control itself.  That is a difficult saying to you ...

"I blow now a cold breath on the arm of the medium; and there is energy given forth; and I who make that breath cannot control the movement of it. Conceive of all space filled with energy that controls itself for the purposes of God ...

"I think you should not disturb this medium for a short time yet.  Keep as quiet as you can and keep the light off him.  Also keep contact with this woman."

T. G. H.: "Will you tell us who you are?"

Ewan: "I will give you the sign."

T. G. H.: "Are you then Naiada?"

Naiada/Mercedes: "Yes.  Turn your face towards the sun.  Speak to the people.  Tell them  to begone."

10:23 p.m.   Benediction is spoken.  Group members leave the room.  Mediums are still in trance.

Ewan: "I want you to give witness to these people who I am."

T. G. H. speaks to Gordon, who is lying on the floor.

Ewan: "Talk.  You are given permission."

Mercedes: "Come, friend; do as they ask you; then they will release you."

Ewan: "You will go deeper where you will not come back to pursue the purposes you had planned.  I command you to go to these places."

Dawn: "I will."

Ewan calls T. G. H. to come to him.

T. G. H. (describing Dawn). "Her head is deeply bowed before Ewan."

Ewan: "Go in to these dark places and see."

Dawn: "As my Lord wills, so I go."

Ewan: "Search and come back and reflect as in a mirror what you have gone through."

Dawn: "Yea, I go."

Ewan: "Let her go.  She must go into the deep places." Dawn walks around Mercedes and stoops at Ewan's feet."

Mercedes: "Give her your blessing."

Ewan: "She has to go deeper yet to get the meaning of these things.  I gave you charge that you speak not of these things in your public meetings; for they are deep mysteries and are easily misunderstood ... I am only a common man carrying out the work of those who sent me ... I can give you nothing except that the great ones are favoring you ... It is time to go ..."

Mercedes: "Socrates!  Socrates!"

Dawn: "I am ready!"

Mercedes: "Go.  I release her.  Quickly take the message from the other man."
Ewan: "It may be that this man on the floor has got some glimpse of these things.  If so I charge you to keep silent.

Ewan: "Come, my Sister.  I will go."

Mercedes: "Oh, take them  both away."

T. G. H. raises Gordon to his feet.

Ewan: "Have you gone where I commanded you."

Dawn: "Yea, I have gone.  I have seen those who are in distress.  I have seen.  I know."

Ewan: "You may go.  I think if she tells you of this she will tell you in complete privacy.  I think she might confess it to the lady who comes with you ... come, Naiada!"

Norman is still entranced.  Ewan asks to be given his hands, and draws him to his feet.  He commands him to take a deep breath and to come back to the earth.  T. G. H. takes Norrie out of the room.

Ewan goes down on his knees, head bowed to the floor.  He then stands with arms fully extended over his head, then flexes his arms in front of him with his hands cupped opposite his eyes.  His arms fall slowly to his sides, and he becomes limp.  T. G. H. takes him from the room.

10:46 p.m.        
[Note: As Gordon and Norrie are coming out of trance, in the bedroom, they both say they had been taken to "some awful place"- so awful that they did not want to think of it.]


January 30, 1934

[Letter from Harold  H. U. Cross - Ph. D - requests some photos to be used in a book to be published - from San Francisco.]


January 31, 1934.        

Full group, except Ewan (absent); Margaret L. Hamilton, Secretary; Recorders: Mr. W. R. Wood, visitor, and Margaret. Hamilton.

W. R. Wood, guest.

8:55 p.m.        Group in place in séance room; all hands joined in chain formation.  Mr. Wood and Margaret  L. Hamilton at back of the room.

All sing "Unto The Hills." Followed by, "The Lord Is My Shepherd."  During the singing of a third hymn, Mercedes, entranced, speaks:

9:02 p.m.        Mercedes: "I think there is going to be a storm.  I must hurry and get back ... The Queen will be uneasy because she warned me they would come up quickly.  I must get back! ... It comes! ... It comes! ... see it! ... I'm drenched to the skin with rain!  It must be a typhoon! (Shivering).  I hope I don't get another chill, just when I'm keeping so well! ... oh, I'm afraid!  He'll get me back in time and I can lie on the shingles there.  It'll pass away just as quick as it came; and I'll be all right.  I'll get back up there; I tell you, as right as rain, and it's raining!  Isn't that funny? (Becoming quieter).  Oh, Thy rod and staff still comfort me!"

T. G. H.: "Did you get home alright?"

Mercedes: "Yes, I got home.  I sent one of the boys along to say that I was all right.  They will be pleased to know that no harm has come to me ... This is a lovely place, but these storms come up so quickly.  But you can't have everything.  In my old home I had the dampness; but here I have heat and warmth ... I'll be content to pass my days here."

T. G. H.: "What's the name of your home here?"

Mercedes: (stuttering) "S ... S... Sam ... Sam ... Oh, I'll give it to you sometime ... I'm all right now, you can sing."

(Note: The above trance communicator purports to be  R. L. Stevenson.)

Mercedes (still entranced): "There is a lady who says to tell this lady behind this woman that she is not to go there.  She says it is not a good place ... the surroundings are being watched.  Tell her before I go!"

T. G. H. tells Dawn, who is still a normal.

Dawn: "What is her name?"

Mercedes: "Mrs. Burns."

Dawn exclaims, recognizing the name, saying that she knew a Mrs. Burns who has passed on.

Mercedes: "Jack is there, too, and he says you are not to go there.  She can give you more if you want it, but she doesn't want to be personal."

A new control speaks through Mercedes, urging Dawn not to go, and seems very distressed and anxious about Dawn.

9:15 p.m.        We sing again.

9:17 p.m.        Group numbers in order, and then sing "Jingle Bells," "Golden Slippers."  Gramophone turned on.

9:20 p.m.        Mercedes: "A very tall gentleman is in the center of the room.  He has a large book open.  He looks like a minister.  He has the book open right in the center.  He looked around the circle and then stood right in front of the table.  It is not Spurgeon; it is a much younger man than he.  He seems to be looking for someone.  He looked disappointed at seeing one or two empty chairs."
9:22 p.m.        Walter/Dawn: "Good evening ... You are away from your little screws ..."

T. G. H.: "Oh, no, I can reach them  with my left hand."

Walter: "But you can't reach them  with your right hand."

T. G. H.: "No."

Walter: "Well, I remember that."

Walter teases T. G. H. about only telling the truth when a lie doesn't suit, or the reverse.  Further teasing conversation, then T. G. H. introduces Mr. Wood.  Walter immediately makes a pun on the name, and Norman goes into a spasm of laughter.  Walter now teases Norman about his "bad turn", and says we should take his temperature when he is in one of them."

Walter/Dawn: (to Mr. Wood) "What do you do, Mr. Wood?"

Mr. Wood: "Oh, I preach sometimes."

T. G. H.: "He's a preacher but he doesn't wear a dog collar."

Walter: "Oh, he's not a barker."

Walter (to Norman): "I want you to get down to work and get these controls away from you, or I'll have to put you with the babies." (Reference to Norman's youth, and to the fact that he is only a partially developed medium?")

Norman: "Sing, somebody, sing."

9:33 p.m.        All sing "Solomon Levi."

Walter/Dawn: "What's that gentleman's name again?"

T. G. H.: "Mr. Wood."

Walter makes a play on the words 'would' and 'wood' and 'could'.  He asks where Mr. Wood comes from.

Mr. Wood: "From Austin."

Walter: (stuttering) " Aust ... Aust ... Where is that?"

Mr. Wood: "Out west, near Minnedosa."

Walter: "Minnedosa! Oh, yes.  I know ... Where were you born?"

Mr. Wood: "In the Orkney Islands."

Walter: "Where is that?"

Mr. Wood: "Away north of Scotland; North of John O' Groats."

Walter: "Oh, for heaven's sake!  There isn't anybody good who comes from there!  What kind of place is it?  What do the people do there?"

9:35 p.m.        Gordon falls to the floor.

Mr. Wood: "Oh, a little fishing and a little farming."

Walter: "Where do you farm?"

Mr. Wood: "Around the shores."

Walter: "They farm on the shores.  That's where the baby was found ... I guess you were the baby."  Walter continues to tease Mr. Wood, and asks them  if he can speak Gaelic.

9:38 p.m.        Lucy/Mercedes: "Good evening, friends."

T. G. H. introduces Mr. Wood to Lucy, who greets him in her usual kindly manner.

Lucy: "Your numbers are few tonight, friend."

T. G. H.: "Ewan and Sun Yan are away."

Lucy: "Ewan was much affected by your last sitting and his energy is not just so great as it once was.  I sometimes wonder if it is wise to let him remain as long as he does in the room.  Ewan's control is anxious to take him as far away as possible, and Ewan feels it next morning.  He is a good control.  The lights that Florence sees are the torches that precede his coming."

Florence: "They are here now."

Lucy: "It is very fine to have him come here."

T. G. H.: "Does he come elsewhere?"

Lucy: "Yes."

Walter teases T. G. H. about asking this question so often.

T. G. H.: "The last article has been published and the pictures have come out beautifully in the magazine."

Walter: "Oh?  Well, it's Walter's last picture of Lucy; the last, as the cobbler said as he flung his shoe at his wife."

T. G. H.: "It out all over the world now."

Walter: "What is all over the world?"

T. G. H.: "Lucy's face."

Lucy: "As well as thanking Walter, we must not forget to thank you, Doctor.  Has your friend ever been to a meeting like this before?"

Mr. Wood: "Only once, at a little sitting with Dr. and Mrs. Hamilton."
Lucy: "We are very glad to have him here."

Walter: "Won't you sing for him; oh, won't you?"

T. G. H.: "Yes, Lucy, sing some of Doyle's hymn."

Lucy: "Yes, I will sing for you."

Walter: "She's going to sing for you, Woody."

Lucy, in a strong, clear, sweet voice, sings the hymn from the Spiritualist hymn book which we have come to know as Doyle's hymn.

Doyle/Dawn: (in a loud, firm voice) "Good evening, my friends.  I cannot help coming at the singing of that hymn that rings so freshly in my ears.  It is number one in the Spiritualist hymn book.

"I am here to make known that there is no death and that life reigns eternal.  The only difficulty you have to contend with is the tearing aside of the veil that covers the eyes of material people and show that there is no death and that we can come back and walk and talk and sing with you!

"Oh, like you in this little room, I could find some little means of spreading this truth.  It has been said that the time is not ready; but when the orthodox preacher stands and preaches of life eternal, do they believe?  If they do not believe one way, can they not believe another?"
(Addressing Mr. Wood, to whom he has been presented):

"Never lose sight of the fact that this is not the end of all things.  Try to give the people you speak a clearer understanding to prepare them  for the life to come.  I know, friends; I have made a great mistake, and although I do not condemn the religion of Spiritualism, it is not the right way ...

"I am trying to control a medium in the Old Land and through her I am trying to give a message of the true way, that my people may be led in the right direction.  A great leader will arise ...

"I must leave ..."

9:57 p.m.        Lucy/Mercedes: "They have gone, Doyle and the little girl who comes with him; she is a little guide."

Group continues to sing softly.

9:59 p.m.        Walter/Dawn: "You won't raise much power with that singing."

Lucy/Mercedes: "What's wrong with Mr. Barrie's big toe?"

Mr. Barrie: "Nothing."

Lucy: "Well, get it going."

Mr. Barrie starts to sing most lustily.
10:02 p.m.   Medium coughs violently five or six times.

Walter/Dawn: "That's all right; just a little interruption ... Would you close the circle?  

My friend, it is just like someone starting to weave with fine silks and leaving the ends unfastened; someone opened the door and the whole thing blew away.  It's not even as secure as a spider's web. (Referring to the difficulties in this work.)  Would the gentleman like to ask any questions?"

Mr. Wood: "Any information about the conditions where you are would be of help."

Walter: "Where I am is very pleasant.  I could not discuss it through a material instrument.  As we progress, the beauty increases.  Some do not see it at first because they are not awakened.  I cannot let others come to speak to you as I have my work almost ready and prepared to be photographed.  But there is no night ... We have an ethereal body, and when we come to the earth plane we use the material body of our friend.  As we progress we are given strength and force."

Mr. Wood: "Is it easy to find individuals who have passed over?"

Walter: "No, it is not easy.  But the desire of the heart brings them  to you.  You can visit them if so desired.  If they desire to have communication with you they will do so.  Many live together - the love of friends and relatives has brought them  together and they live in harmony.  As they seek the work they desire they go on ... There are many who are 'in torment' because they cannot recognize the conditions with which they have allowed themselves to be governed ... many are missionaries on the astral plane.  Many return to the earth plane and try to work on the individuals of the earth plane to help them  find themselves when they pass on.

"We could come to you in a lighted room just as easily as in the dark; but you know that the eye and a brain travel together and you are distracted by seeing the light.  Things come to your vision and you can't help acknowledging them .  When you are in darkness there is nothing before your eyes to distract your minds.  The darkness here is for photographic purposes.

"Spurgeon is here and would like to speak to you if he were allowed to come through.  But I am afraid he wouldn't stop.  He says that there is no hell-fire."

10:17 p.m.   The medium stops speaking, very abruptly, and we all sing again.

Walter: "You see, the medium is under control but she is not in deep trance and so she hears her own voice.  She will not remember what has been said; but she tries to add words, that is why there is so much hesitation in my speaking to you.  If I were able to use my automatic voice there would be much more freedom.

"There has been a lot of good work done but little has been said.  I am hoping to fulfill my promise to you.  The messages have been given to her (Dawn) and it would be well for her to heed them . We do not try to mislead anyone.  We want her to be very careful of the company she keeps.  If she persists in going to this place she has prepared herself for, I cannot have her here.  I have tried to show her; and in fact I was with her in this place, and I know something happened that did not at all please her.  Saying nothing to her.  She heard what her friend said, and if she goes against that ..."

Lucy closes with a beautiful prayer, praying for help and strength for those who are in this work.

10:25 p.m.   Benediction is spoken.  Circle is broken and group disperses.


[From Reverend Wood's notes of the sitting at the Hamiltons.]

Three hymns were sung by the group.  Toward the close of the third I could hear one of the mediums panting and there was some little moving.  Then a voice:

R. L. Stevenson: "There's a storm coming.  I must get back to the island.  It comes!  See it!  (As if alarmed).  I'm drenched.  I hope I don't get another chill. (Then more quietly).  It'll pass as quickly as it came.  I will be all right - as right as rain 
(with a laugh) and it's raining.  Thy rod and staff still comfort me.  I got home all right - shelter.  This is a lovely place.  In my old home - dampness."

T. G. H.: "That was your old home in Scotland.  But what is the name of this place?"

"S - S - Som - how to get it through her to you."

"She's not to go there - the lady said.  It's not a good place.  The surroundings are being watched - the place where you are going to go, - a smoky place (?)"

Mrs. Burns.

Jack is there, too.

"Can she give me anything more?"
        
"She can give you more if you want it, but she doesn't want to be personal."

(Almost in a whisper) "They are selling booze."

"She can tell you herself.  She's in front of you."

"Mary, don't go (?)"

"Don't you go.  Do you hear (earnestly).  You mustn't."

"But I've given my word.  What'll I do?"

"They'll make it right for you.  You must break it.(?)"

Singing.  

Numbering 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   Mrs. Hamilton says 11 for Norrie.  He is in trance.  Singing.  Gramophone.

"There is a tall gentleman in the middle of the room.  He has a book open.  He's not in the garb of a minister"

"It's not Spurgeon.  But I think he's a minister.  He is looking about and seems a little disappointed at the empty chairs - the vacant places."
  
A clear and fairly strong voice - some low conversation with Dr. Hamilton in reference to reaching the switch with the right or left hand.

Walter:  "You just tell the truth when a light won't suit."

T. G. H.: "Oh, isn't that pretty hard?"

"Or is it you tell a lie when the truth doesn't suit?"

Implied protest still from Dr. Hamilton.

"Oh, (half apologetically) I only asked you a question.  Where is everybody tonight?"
Mrs. Hamilton: "We are all here but two."

T. G. H.: "Walter, there is a gentleman here I would like to introduce - Mr. Wood."

"Mr. Wood - what kind of wood?"

T. G. H.: "Oh, good hardwood."

"Ash?"

T. G. H.: "Lignum Vitae."

"Come again" (as if the doctor had scored with the use of the Latin name.) Some laughter.

"You don't have to crow over it.  If I told you you'd be as wise as her.  What do you do, Mr. Wood?"

W. R. Wood: "Oh, I preach sometimes."

T. G. H.: "He's a preacher, but he doesn't wear the dog collar."

"Oh, he's not a barker."

"Sing, somebody." (Group sings 'Solomon Levi'.)

"What did you say his name was when you started to sing?"

Sitter: "Solomon Levi."

Somewhere about this part of the sitting, though I am uncertain of the exact location, a conversation somewhat of the following tenor took place:

"Where do you come from, Mr. Wood?"

W. R. Wood: "From Austin."

"Aust --- Auster -- (in uncertainty) .  Where is that?"

W. R. Wood: "Out west - out toward Minnedosa."

"Minnedosa! (Quite loudly). Oh, yes!  Where were you born?"

W. R. Wood: "In the Orkneys; the Orkney Islands."

"Oh, where is that?"

W. R. Wood: "Away north of Scotland - North of John O' Groats."

"North of what?"

W. R. Wood: "John O' Groats."

"What kind of place is at?  What do the people do there?"

W. R. Wood: "Oh, a little fishing and a little farming."

"Where do they farm?"

W. R. Wood: "Around the shores.  They farm on the shores.  That's where the baby was found.  I guess you were the baby.

[Handwritten note in margin:  "I do not get the allusion."]

W. R. Wood: "Very likely."  Some further humorous fooling about speaking Gaelic.

"I would if I could, if I couldn't how could I?"

W. R. Wood: "You couldn't do what you couldn't, could you?  Who did you hear say that?" (No answer)

A new voice now spoke - a woman's voice, clear, gentle, deliberate, dignified, courteous. ( Lucy)

"He is very anxious to get her away as far as he can get her.  The lights are the torches that preceded his coming."

T. G. H.: "Has he been any other place?"

Walter interrupts: "He asks that every time.  'Has he been any other place', and he still keeps asking."

Conversation about a picture.

"Walter's last picture of Lucy - the last - that's what the shoemaker flung at his wife."

T. G. H.: "Her face all over the world."

"It must be terrible large."

"The last - he's finished - he's given up the ghost."

"Keep your hands off me.  Who is putting hands on me?"

W. R. Wood was introduced to and welcomed by Lucy: "Have you been in sitting like this before?"

W. R. Wood: "Only once; a little sitting with Dr. and Mrs. Hamilton."

T. G. H.: "Perhaps he would sing for Mr. Wood."

Walter: "Yes, he's going to sing for you, Woody."

Then Lucy sang in a strong, clear voice, after drawing attention to the fact that the words were not quite as ordinarily used.

        "For ever with the Lord,
                Amen, so let it be.
        Life from the dead is in that word,
                'Tis immortality.
        Here in the body pent,
                At times from Him I roam
        Yet nightly pitch my moving tent
                A day's march nearer home.

        "The summerland above,
                Home of my soul, how near,
        At times to my clear-seeing eye
                Those glorious sights appear.
        Ah, then my spirit tries
                To reach the friends I love
        The bright inheritance of souls
                The summerland above.

        "Then when my latest breath
                Shall rend the veil in twain
        By death I shall escape from death
                And life eternal gain.
        Knowing as I am known,
                Reaping as here I sowed
        Till I shall blot out all my sins
                That I may brighter grow."

A fresh, strong, clear voice, comparatively loud (Conan Doyle).

"Good evening, my friends.  I come following the singing of that hymn.  It was number one in the old Spiritualist hymn book.

"I am only here to make known that there is no death - that life reigns eternal.  The only difficulty is the rending of the veil that blinds the eyes of the material people.  Oh, that this group may find some means of spreading the gospel of truth."

"The preacher .... in one way.  Do they believe him?  If they can believe ... why can they not in another?"

T. G. H. introducing W. R. Wood: "Perhaps you have a message for him."

Doyle: "Try to tell them  that they live ...This is not the end ... Try to give the people ... I know that I have made a great mistake.  You must have something more ... (?)  than the mere message (cross-Hatch at this point) .. I have a lot to learn and unlearn.  I am trying to control a medium in the Old Land that my people may be led in the right direction.  A great leader will arise."

Some movement or agitation on the part of the medium.  "I must leave. Come away."

"The little girl and Doyle are gone."

T. G. H.: "What little girl?"

"She came with him.  She was a little guide of his when he was on earth."

Singing.

Walter: "You won't raise much power with that singing."

Livelier singing.

Walter: "What's wrong with his big toe tonight?"

Sitter: "Who?"

Walter: "Mr. Barrie"

Mr. Barrie: "Not a thing."

"There is just a little interruption.  It is past now."

"It is just as if someone would start to weave with fine silk - and someone opens a door, and blows the whole thing away."

Walter (referring to W. R. Wood): "Is there anything he would like to ask - anything in which we can help him?"

W. R. Wood: "Any information about the conditions where you are would help."

Walter: "Conditions where I am.  They are very beautiful.  I could not express ..."

[Here there is crosshatching to indicate something missing.]

W. R. Wood: "You have bodies corresponding to the bodies you had here?"
Walter: "No, not material bodies - ethereal (the word not very well pronounced, as if he were not exactly familiar with it.  Rather like 'ether'al')

W. R. Wood: "And you can use them ?"

Walter: "Yes, we can use."

W. R. Wood: "Is it easy to find individuals who have passed over?"

Walter: "No, it is not easy.  The love of friends and relations brings them  together; and they live together in harmony and peace."

"Many never seek to return.  They find their work in helping those who do not know that they have made the change - who may be, as you would say - 'in torments.'"

W. R. Wood: "I would like to know how one such as I might sense the unseen so as to promote assurance of survival."

Walter: "Sit in a darkened room ... they will come to you ... in thought ... you will see with your own eyes ... rather, the veil is torn from your eyes."

"I would like to explain why we ask you to sit in a darkened room.  We could come to you just as easy in light.  But that is for you.  Eye and brain work together ... in the darkness there is nothing to distract your attention.  By sitting in the darkness you get it clearer."

"Be earnest."

"There is a gentleman standing here who could talk to you - Spurgeon - but I cannot allow him to control my medium.  You see, this medium is under control; but she is not in deep control.  A good deal of work has been done."

Here follows a little nonsense ... fun.

Walter: "Messages have come to her and it is well to heed messages from the other side.  We want her to be very careful of the company she goes with.  If she goes ... she must not come here.  I will not work with her. (very emphatically). I hope she will take heed.  I was with her and she was in this place - would it be yesterday or yesterday night?  Something happened which didn't please her.  She heard what her friends said ... if she goes against that ..."

Lucy: a prayer.

"Oh God, Our Father, who art the refuge and strength of Thy people on the material plane, we ask that thou wouldst be with them .  The controls who meet in this room have pledged themselves to give only of the best, so that our good director may ..."

"We ask it through the intercession of Thy glorious ministering angels."
"The Lord watch between thee and me while we are absent one from the other." 

[This last is the Mizpah.]


February 1, 1934

[Letter from Barrett thanks for reply to letter - also the circle would like to meet Dr. Hamilton if he ever travels near where they live in Rome.]


February 11, 1934.        

Ada Turner; Harold Turner; L. H.; W. Barrie;  J. A. Hamilton; G. Snyder; Ethel Muir; Margaret L. Hamilton, Secretary.  Ewan and Mr. Reed absent; recorder, Margaret  L. Hamilton.

8:55 p.m.        Group in place in séance room.  All sing "Lead Kindly Light", followed by "The Lord Is My Shepherd."

9:02 p.m.        Dawn (normal): "A tall gentleman, very thin, with grey hair, came into the room.  He   resembled Gladstone; although he was not Gladstone.  There was another man with him; he was stout, had a dark, bushy, square beard, and shaggy eyebrows - something like Spurgeon, but not so old.  The stout man had a book under his arm and he had a cloak on, and the tall one was in spirit robes ... (to L. H.).  Have you any one in the spirit world called Jim?"

L. H.: "Yes."

Dawn: "I got someone saying, 'Jim', and they were beside you."

9:07 p.m.        L. H.: "Norman is in deep trance."

Florence: "The room seems to be flooded with light."

Dawn and Gordon: "Yes."

9:08 p.m.        All sing "Draw Me Nearer."

9:09 p.m.        L. H.: "I have the impression that I must sing for Stead and for Stevenson."

All sing: "Nearer My God to Thee" and "Abide with Me."

9:10 p.m.        Florence: "I have been touched on the hand."

9:12 p.m.        Florence and Gordon say they see a bright light.  Group number in order, then sing "Jingle Bells."

9:16 p.m.        Walter/Dawn: "Good evening. (very soft, throaty voice, not much louder than a whisper). "This is me.  I'm here ... Yes, I got here ahead of time.  I was watching you.  What was it you were tying up against the wall over there about two minutes ago?"
T. G. H.: "I was just feeling to see that the cords and tubes were all right."

Walter: "I just wanted to see what it was.  I couldn't touch it.  I could feel it through the medium, but I couldn't touch it myself.  But I was just watching you ... there were a lot of people here tonight, and they were all singing.  Some of them  are still here, and some have gone to other places.  They come and go all the time.  There is no one to stop them .  I have my guards on - Big Chief, Black Hawk.  We haven't got a great deal of power at our disposal ... Where's Ewan?"

T. G. H.: "Oh, he's at home."

Walter: "They don't know just how important it is to get ahead.  It is this continual stopping that keeps us where we are.  I have come to realize the difficulties that are in your way ... We'll just have to do the best we can ... Lucy's shaking her head."

T. G. H.: "With sadness?"

Walter: "Oh, no, she's never sad ... She's always here."

T. G. H.: "Is it all right to occupy this chair when Sun Yan is away?"

Walter: "Oh, it's all right ... Where's Reed?"

T. G. H.: "I guess he's at home, too."
Walter: "That's one person I'd like to get hold of.  There is good material  there ... but he fights it off.  He's a funny number.  If I ever got that man under control! ... He's got good guides and we take lots of power from him.  He is a good contributor in that way.  But if he ever went to sleep he would give you some things you'd like to know ...."

T. G. H.: "Is there anything we could do to help?"

Walter: "Shut up! ... All you can do is to be yourselves and don't try to help.  Just sit quiet."

9:25 p.m.        Florence: "I see a bright light in the cabinet."

Walter (to Florence): "You're great at talking. Go to sleep."

T. G. H.: "The High Priest told us to keep her awake." 

Walter: "Well, the High Priest is not here. Go to sleep.  I don't give a damn for the High Priest!  He's not here now and I don't want him here ... oh, he's all right.  Give him a night for himself.  But we can't both have the same night.  He's too strong for me.  I don't walk in the same road as he does.  He's got tribes and tribes and when he brings all those people into the room you don't see me at all ... He brings all those black people, all those funny people ... Oh, they're all good, but not any help to me.  Anyway, it's all right if you want him."

T. G. H.: "Oh, you're the boss!"

Walter: "When you leave the earth plane you don't take any bosses with you.  You are all equal on the planes that you reach.  We on the astral plane are not associated with those on the Seventh, and those on the Seventh do not come to the astral.  Sometimes they are permitted to come and give a message but they cannot touch earth conditions.  They give their message through an interpreter.  They abide by laws which are like Earth laws, only that they are just laws ... The same laws could work on the earth plane if people would reason with themselves and listen to the voice that speaks to them .  You call it conscience; but it is the still small voice that is the interpreter from the higher planes ...

"Now I am preaching! ... And wouldn't Lucy like to preach!  She's here ...."

T. G. H.: "Walter, we've got your book here."

Walter: "Oh, yes ... Now give us a little song to raise the vibrations."

9:32 p.m.        All sing "Jingle Bells."

Walter: "At your next sitting, before you come in, I want you to examine Dawn's neck and shoulders and chest and then after she leaves the sitting I want you to examine her again - her chest and neck and shoulders.  Then you can let me know at the following sitting what you find.  Don't say anything to her about it.  Give me your hand."

T. G. H.: "Walter has taken my hand and indicated on Dawn the area he wishes me to examine - the front of the chest, the base of the neck, across both shoulders, and as far down as the breastbone."

Walter: "And when you go back I want it re-examined."

T. G. H.: "Will Faith do it, or shall I?"

Walter: "It doesn't matter.  But on the second examination don't touch her skin.  You may be able to see some particles.  I'm going to try to do that.  I want her coat removed as soon as she goes under control.  I can't say you will be able to see them , but I think you will.  Don't say anything to her.  Give her a glass of water just before she comes in.  I want her to have a glass of water, not when she's sitting here, but just before she comes in ... Lucy, what's the matter with you tonight?"

Lucy/Mercedes: "Nothing.  I'm just watching you to see that you don't slip  your instructions ... I wouldn't want you to think, friends, that these instructions come from Walter.  He is just the interpreter ... Stead says to instruct you to keep the front of the cabinet as free as possible from all obstruction.  Neither you nor Ewan, nor Norrie must come to the cabinet unless instructed.

"At our last sitting we were almost on the verge of a picture, and quite unknown to himself, Ewan stood up in front of the cabinet and destroyed part of the structure.  It is still there, and might be photographed for experimental purposes ..."

Walter/Dawn: "If you took a photo of it and it was not successful it might be quite destroyed."

Lucy: "As to your friend (the High Priest) who comes, it is unfortunate that he comes when our friend is working.  He takes a lot of power from Mercedes by bringing Naida through, and it is most important that we get this picture through ... conditions are excellent tonight and we have been able to get a lot of work done.

"When your sittings are upset it is not always the fault of the sitters, but often the fault of your controls ...

"We miss Ewan and Sun Yan, but we have called forces from our planes to help fill the gap.  When he (Ewan) is absent, do not keep his chair in the circle, as this lets others in who might take the power.  There is excellent material in those (in the circle) who are partly developed."

Walter/Dawn: "We have to train them  and it takes some time."

Lucy: "The medium Dawn had her gifts but they had to be developed."

Walter/Dawn: "She is a long way from being developed: she's got a long way to go yet.  She's got to give herself up fully to me.  Sometimes she's very good and sometimes she's very bad."

Lucy: "And I think also, friend, that until the work is completed you should not prolong your sittings.  We have asked you not to go beyond your ninety minutes.  We know that you are anxious to hear news from the other planes, but you must not have a prolonged sitting on the same evening as this group.  If you wish your other friends to come you may sit another evening ..."

Walter teases T. G. H. about always wanting more pictures; says he is like Oliver Twist.

Lucy: "I suppose you'll be quoting Shakespeare next."

Walter: "Yes. 'Man Wants but Little Here below.'"

Lucy: "I want to tell you that Walter could no more stop this work than he could return to the earth and live as before  ... because he's too proud of it."

Walter: "I could do good work if I had a couple of good mediums."

Lucy: "But he's got no mediums.  He just comes here and does all the work himself.  He can't get a medium!  Can you not give this poor boy some assistance?"

"... I want to say to your good lady that I see her going into a room full of people and I see her speaking on the work.  Tell her she is not to be nervous.  I will be beside her; and she is to mean every word she says.  By that, she is to impress them .  There is one haughty lady who goes out of curiosity and when she comes away she has her thinking cap on.  I am sure they would not give me that picture if it were not symbolic ...

"That man next to the Queen is a very busy man.  His control is wondering what is the matter."

T. G. H.: "The High Priest told us to keep Gordon from becoming entranced."

Walter (referring to High Priest): "I want to say to you that you must not give him an opportunity.  He is very, very strong and powerful and has a great experience in this work and also in speaking; but that does not help me any, and takes away the power.  That is why if he comes I cannot say him nay.  When he comes he takes everything.  He does not come with that thought and intention.  He has no power over me further than that when he is here I can do nothing.  He monopolizes all the strings."

T. G. H.: "He has promised not to come back until the work is done."

Walter: "Then he will never be here; for my work will never be done unless you bid me go.  Then I will find another channel, or try to find another channel."

Lucy: "There has come into your room a young man who used to come with one of your instruments a long time ago.  He seems to be interested in your machinery.  He came with a thin lady, Anna, and he gave you all a very bright and cheery look and seemed to be very interested; and his smile seemed to show that something was developing which pleased him.  He stood at the chair where his sister used to sit."

10:05 p.m.   Walter: "I may not speak through Dawn at your next sitting.  It takes quite a little bit of power to talk and work at the same time, and sometimes it is better if she can keep silent."

Lucy: "See that the mediums have all the steel pins removed from their hair at the next sitting; and they must be extra loosely clad.  Dawn's instructions have been given and I have given these for Mercedes.  She must have nothing tight around her body.  I want Faith to be particularly anxious that Dawn is well sponged and that Mercedes and Florence put their hands in cold water for a considerable time, and that the water is particularly cold ....

"Come away, Norman; speak, for we are going to close."

Normal: "I have nothing to say.  I can tell my medium anything that is necessary for him to know."

Lucy: "Would you care to close now?  Conditions are good, and if we can keep our conditions as they are tonight we could do very good work."

Norman: "My medium must never be kept in the room after Walter says we are too close."

10:10 p.m.   Benediction is given.  Group disperses.


February 14, 1934.

9:02 p.m.        Singing "Unto the Hills," etc.

9:12 p.m.        Very deep and labored breathing coming from Dawn.

L. H.: "Norman is asleep." 

Mercedes says to take off  Dawn's coat - she also says that they are working, tuning up like a fiddler; he has to tune before he plays.

9:25 p.m.        Dawn: "Has Ewan not come back?"  Then she answers herself and says "He is not coming back."

T. G. H.: "I don't know that I can answer you."

Dawn: "I cannot go after him again."

T. G. H.: "Can you not carry on with what you have got?"

Dawn: "Oh, yes, I can carry on; but there is a vacant place here, and it is not me that is disappointed.  Cannot you get somebody else?"

T. G. H.: "Well, it is a slow job to start developing ..."

Dawn: "Oh, I don't want to develop one: if they are not going to come we will just have to close our ranks; but it is very provoking.  What has happened to Sun Yan?"

T. G. H.: "I do not know."

Mercedes: "Perhaps he is taking up the work somewhere else."

T. G. H.: "I believe he is occasionally, yes."

Mercedes: "Well, in that case it is all right; he may be able to bring someone to your sitting that will be useful later on."

Dawn: "We will just have to get busy with what we have here."

(Some moments elapse, Dawn is moaning)

9:25 p.m.        Light on.  Immediately after the light has been used Dawn emits a hiccup, very loudly.

Walter: "Have you got your ray camera set up yet?"

T. G. H.: "No, Walter, not yet.  I have it outside."

Walter then, speaking through Mercedes, carries on a conversation asking for the camera, and says nothing has been produced yet that we would be able to see without it.

Dawn: "Lucy has something to say; she seems rather anxious to come forward."

T. G. H.: "Yes, Lucy."

Lucy: "A gentleman has been trying to talk to you since you came into the room; he wanted to pray with you when you were singing; he is still here. He is a stranger to me: I have never seen him, even in your room.  He is a preacher, has never been here before.  He did say you would give him a hearing if you knew, and I didn't get his name.  I didn't catch the right vibrations; but it was something about a vale or valley, rowing or something.  He is standing back now.  It is all right; he understands all that you are doing here; it is not that we didn't want him, but we want the work to go on."

Dawn: "He is very interested in your work and knows all about it.  I know who he is and he will be very helpful.  At the present time he must select his own instrument; but I do not at all want him to have anything to do with my instrument, not for the present anyway.  He understands.  No, no, don't bring any more, not just now; I want you to draw around the curtain now.  Don't be discouraged, my friends."

9:35 p.m.        "We have to make these adjustments and close our ranks, and everything will be all right; you see, the 'Potters Clay' has got to be molded.  Just cannot throw it all down there and say 'and there is a statue for you I have made it'.  We have got pieces here, other pieces there, and how about it, Lucy?"

Lucy: "Yes, that is quite right."

Dawn: "How about yourself taking on the Potter's Clay?"

Lucy: "You are giving away secrets.  Yes, I could mold that into a likeness of myself quite easily, do you not think so?  We have got them  all pretty well fixed up now; we have taken all the sheaves with us, now, the bad from the good wheat; we have deleted what was unnecessary and kept what was necessary ..."

Dawn: "Then we will have to put you all out; some of you are unnecessary."

Dawn: "They are all beginning to get quite frightened; and they have not got into the habit of keeping their two feet on the floor yet.

"Sun Yan is not here; Ewan is not here; well, you are here, Lucy, and I am here; and there are several others here.  We are all here that is anything worthwhile; and that nice young gentleman that comes with Florence, I must ask the .... to give him his name, we will call him Natose ..."

T. G. H.: "What is the meaning of that, Walter?"
Walter: "Always ready."

L. H.: "Norman is in very deep sleep."

9:40 p.m.        Lucy: "Stead is here.  He doesn't like your way of doing it at all; he says it is not the way he wants it."

T. G. H.: "Well, what does he want?"

Lucy: "I don't know."

Walter (speaking through Dawn): "Well, how should we know?"

Lucy: "He has a lot of work to do in the Bureau; oh, he can do more work, he says."

T. G. H.: "I wish he could do more work here."

Lucy: "He says his work with the Bureau is very important.  Oh, he says he is very busy there; he likes it, too.  He wishes - I don't know what he wishes - he is away.  He just said "he wished" and away he went."

Walter: "Well, how should we know what he wished?"

Lucy: "He has to wish for himself, doesn't he?  What would you wish for if you were to wish for him?"

T. G. H.: "I would wish for him to cooperate and get things going here."

Dawn: "We do; but he would like to work on your cameras ... that flashing ... no, I don't see how he can ..."

T. G. H.: "He did it all in the Old Country according to the pictures we saw."

Walter: "Yes, but he just had a medium to work with there; here he only has a little bit of her.  He is very anxious for pictures, but he doesn't want the kind, 
(here Dawn breaks off abruptly and laughs very loud and long, and says 'Oh, go away ... oh, go away' three or four times, and then "you would break the camera; would you stand back please?  They are not the kind of pictures that he gives you."

Lucy: "They are quite different."

Walter: "There is new pictures coming before you; you are going to see some nice new pictures; I don't know where they have come from but you will see them .  No, I don't know her; don't be a fool, I am just telling him.  There is an old lady there.  Oh, dear.  You, yes, I will see that your picture is produced ... If I were to put all the pictures that I have willing sitters for, your cameras would never get them  all in ... no, no, ... no, go away. Good night."


9:50 p.m.        Silence for a few moments, then Lucy calls for the light.  Three times in succession she calls and asks to have it to be made stronger for them  all to look at Dawn.  Then she says that if we had two sittings in succession, Walter would be able to complete and give to you a complete form.