1932 - Jan 12 - Apr 17

1932

Jan 12 - Apr 17


January 12, 1932

[Letter from Dr. Hamilton to Mrs. Bigelow - New York City:]

        Apologize for late reply to letter of 17th. 

"... I have been very much in a quandary ... largely from fighting off a cold which I was afraid might entirely disqualify one from leaving home.  I have decided to meet your appointment of February 22nd ..."


January 15, 1932

[Letter from Dr. Hamilton to Esta M. Barr - Washington, DC:]

"... It was with much disappointment that I learned of your removal from Hyslop House.  However, you are perhaps in line for participating in even more important work in connection with Outlook House.  This would seem to be of great importance, especially since it gives an opportunity for the dissemination of results by people who have had first-hand information. I should be delighted to assist, but naturally the amount of time which it takes, away from home, is not well tolerated by the public who, in the matter of medical services, are particularly anxious to see the individual and not the substitute."

        Time constraints on going overseas.

"... I received a letter from Mrs. Bigelow a short time ago in which she urges my return to New York soon and says that, in the event of my doing so, they will meet the full expenses.  While I do not like to leave my practice, I think that perhaps this opportunity, together with others that I will have in Toronto and other points, is worthwhile and should not be passed up.  I am, therefore, as things stand, to be in New York for the evening of February 29th and will remain there probably the balance of that week.

"... If, as suggested in your letter, you thought it advisable for me to make the run to Washington, it would be an easy matter.  In such a case, however, it would be essential that transportation and maintenance would be met in connection with such a visit.  The date would have to be about five days later - say Mar 4th..."


January 17, 1932.        

Gordon Chown; W. B. Cooper; Jack MacDonald; Mercedes; Ada Turner; Ewan; Dawn; W. E. Hobbes; L. H.; J. A. Hamilton; Dr. Bruce Chown, Secretary.

Report of victor's vision

Vision of one of the hells
        
"Vision came early Monday morning between three and 4 a.m..  I returned home from the Hamilton's about midnight - nervous and fidgety.  Retired but tossed around in bed.  I fell asleep eventually and saw a vision.

"I found myself looking at a high rocky range of hills, and walking towards them  I found a cleft in the hillside.  It was as a huge vertical crack, and this I entered and advanced along a narrow downward passage with sheer cliffs on either side; as I proceeded it became darker.  When I got to the further end of it I came to a valley with mountains surrounding.  It was very dimly lighted - almost like night and difficult to see.  It was gruesome.  I have no fear, but no desire to be there.  I then looked around for an opening or way out but could not find any outlet.  I became bewildered when suddenly I saw a light in the hillside at some distance.  I walked towards this light and stumbled and fell several times in my anxiety to get to the light.  On approaching the light it gradually appeared to be a tunnel in the hillside.  I entered the tunnel and walked through it.  It was of considerable length.  It got lighter as I got to the other end. I found myself in a semi-darkness - a little brighter than the other valley.  There were undulating plains stretching before me, - a desolate rolling country devoid of vegetation or life of any kind.  I walked on for some distance and came to some houses.  Here I met quite a number of people, men and women, of a very undesirable type.  There were no children.  Some men came over and asked me to join some kind of a gathering that was about to take place nearby.  I felt the whole thing was very repulsive and had no desire to mingle with them ; but having nothing else to do, I decided to go along.  I followed up the hillside along a rocky path till I came to a house built right into the rock.  I do not remember the details of construction.  It appeared to have several rooms.  The whole crowd was engaged in carousing, dancing, and merry making.  All at once I heard bells in the distance.  Immediately everybody stood still and expectantly listened.  Then somebody shouted "There he comes!"  Immediately everyone except myself became terrified and frantic with fear and tried to get out of sight by hiding in every conceivable place.  In fact, they all disappeared out of sight.  In the meantime the bells were getting louder, and being curious, I stepped out of a door onto a balcony.  There I found an old 
patriarchal gentlemen dressed in flowing robes of pure white; flowing white beard, and piercing blue eyes - a very kindly countenance.  He looked at me intently.  I inquired the meaning of this.  He replied "It is a sign.  You will now see the horse and rider appear."  He extended his right hand at full arm length toward the sky above the horizon; and in the distance I could make out a horse and rider galloping at full speed towards us - getting larger every instant as it approached.

"In the vicinity of the horse and rider - enclosing it - a landscape became visible.  It then gradually came near us and passed us towards the left.  It was a beautiful sight to see.  The horse and rider look pure white and I was fascinated by the speed and vigor displayed by the horse.

"The entire scene gradually moved off towards the left and was finally lost to view over the horizon.  But I could still hear the bells in the distance.

"I immediately turned around to speak to the man and found that he had disappeared entirely.  I tried to look for him but with no success.  When the last of the bells was heard the inhabitants all came out of the hiding places and the same man that made the original remarks said, "Well, we're safe for a while.", and then they continued their carousing.

"I then woke and found myself so disturbed I was unable to sleep for a long time."

[Told to T. G. H. and recorded verbatim - L. H.]


January 20, 1932.

Victor in cataleptic trance at home of  T. G. H.

Victor reports the following vision after he recovers normal consciousness.

"I found myself walking in a garden with three ponds arranged thus:

[A drawing here:]

Paths being arranged about these; and each pond had a central fountain playing; the fountain bowls being supported by several (four) figures in each; the bowl resting on their uplifted hands.  The water had a luminosity and rainbow play of colors which was very interesting.  Water lilies decorated the surface.  The water in the ponds was crystal clear.  While I was looking on, wondering whose place this was, a white bearded man approached.  He looked about 75.  He spoke to me, addressing me as Victor.  I recognized him as William Crookes. "Come with me; I want to show you something."  I walked around a bend in the landscape and saw a house in the near vicinity and recognized it as Crookes' home which I had previously seen.  We entered through French doors from off a terraced lawn into a large room which I recognized as Crookes' laboratory.  He went over to a cupboard, pulled out to white smocks, and told me I had better put this on if I was going to be one of his assistants.  So I put it on and he also put one on.  We then went over to an equipment table with four depressed water sinks and high arching water taps.  The back of the table had test tubes and various articles of scientific equipment.  He then went over to another table and brought a light - perfectly spherical, and about 3 feet in diameter.  This was on a stand.  He then took out four white bowls of a hard substance.  He then went to another part of the laboratory with shelves holding large glass receptacles about 18 inches high and 6 to 8 inches diameter, cylindrical in form.  He handed me two of these, and took two himself, selected from different parts of the shelf.  He then took balance scales with several metal disc-like weights from one inch down to the smallest speck.  Certain of these weights which he selected from a drawer he placed on one side of the scales using a pair of fine forceps for doing so.  He then referred to a chart with innumerable figures and calculations on it.  He checked the weights with a chart.  Then he took the lid from off of one of these containers and took out a whitish

[Left side: - Drawing of the fountains mentioned above. - The first paragraph of the above vision report is on a blue prescription pad.]

substance that looked like powder, placing some of it into one of the bowls.  With a quantity of this white powder from the bowl he balanced the scales.  Then he removed this powder and poured it into another receptacle under this globe.  He then washed the scale pan, dried it thoroughly, and then quickly waved the pan through a Bunsen burner. now he changed the weights, adding a little by reference to the chart.   He again took from another container a purple powder placed in another bowl, weighing it out as before.  This he poured in with the first measured powder, using a brush to dust off the pan and the pan was again cleaned as before and dried.  A third powder was weighed out, this time yellow, and then also a fourth of blue, both of which were put in a large bowl or beneath the globe, but in the lower part of the globe stand.   When this was completed he cleaned up the disorder methodically and put away all the equipment that he was not going to use.  He then placed the Bunsen burner under the receptacle containing the four powders, and as it started to heat the powdered changed to a liquid and boiled up, and a vapor arose and developed as tongues of fire enveloping the globe above.  This process eventually seemed to drive off all the powder and its residue was left in a grayish mass in the heated container.

"The globular light had changed to beautiful golden color and then he said to me "Now, I want you to put your hand into that globular light", and as I put my hand forward toward the light it became the same color, a golden yellow.  I then put my hand into the light and found I could not feel my hand.  He asked me whether I could feel my hand, and when I said "no" he replied, "Now, draw it out."  As I drew it out my hand came out quite normally. "Now," he said, "I am satisfied with this experiment.  I have found the correct formula.  It is now only a question of constructing a similar globular light large enough for you to walk into."  He finished by saying "When the right time comes, I want you to trust me and have no fear; no harm can come to you."  We then took off our smocks and we walked out onto the lawn and back to the fountains.  Next I found myself coming back to normal in the séance room, but the remains of the vision I'd seen was still to a degree present in my memory.

[Told to T. G. H - recorded verbatim - L. H.]


January 29, 1932

[Letter from Dr. Hamilton to Dr. Harvey Agnew - Toronto:]

"... The people of New York have been very insistent on my return there this year and have arranged for a large meeting in Carnegie Hall on the 29th of February.  I am, therefore, leaving Winnipeg on the 22nd of February in order to have a day or so off in Toronto.  I am particularly desirous of meeting a number of your people who may be interested.  I purpose writing Professor Melson and if possible to have access to his laboratory stereoscope where we can scrutinize and discuss these photographs as I am sure there is much to be learned thereby.  To deal with these things by mail is so very unsatisfactory ..."


February 3, 1932.                

[Letter from Dr. Hamilton to Miss Esta M. Barr - Washington:]

"... I am pleased to know that you have everything arranged for the meeting of March 4th and am enclosing herewith a small leaflet which will probably be quite sufficient for publicity when added to your own knowledge of affairs.


February 3, 1932

[Letter from Dr. Hamilton to Mrs. E. A. Bigelow - New York City:]

"... I am glad that you have arrangements completed and hope we will have a good meeting.  I judge from the fact that you have secured one of the assembly rooms at Carnegie Hall, it will have a considerable capacity.  In that case, a great majority of the audience will be new to the subject and for such it would be a mistake to plunge into the subject without a preliminary discussion leading up to the larger products.  Consequently, I will again have to make use of some of the former slides in order to introduce the subject to the strangers.  What do you think of this?

        My slides are 3 1/4 x 4 (American Size)

        Attached is a list of interested people


[Appears to be the reverse side of a letter from Lillian Hamilton - recipient unknown:]

"... fact that many of the sitters experienced very definite touches of what appeared to be materialized fingers, offered excellent corroborative evidence of the reality of these phenomena.
        
"... On two occasions the "controls" made the claim that the fingers were those of definite personalities.  One long slender finger-form of February 3, which was made while the medium was in trance under the alleged control of  R. L. Stevenson, was said to be a representation of his finger.  His photographs show that he had this type of finger.

"... The documentary record of the mediumship disclosed from the beginning a persistent attempt to apply to the study of the phenomena a laboratory techniques of experimentation, and the experiments which we initiated and carried through were in themselves a test of the repeatability of the phenomena under new and rigorous conditions.  The results of our efforts constitute what we consider well-nigh conclusive evidence of the validity and the supernormality of the phenomena..."  Mr. Thorogood undertook several sittings a week for a period of about four months, from February - May, 1932, and by devising stringent methods of medium and group control, was able to establish unequivocally the authenticity of the direct voice, and the unquestioned supernormality of the finger-print phenomena.   He said in his report: " ... That the phenomena are strange and unrecognized in any of the conventional categories of science should stimulate interest in them rather than excite derision for the attempt to examine them scientifically ... The evidence for their reality is compelling and cannot be disposed of by the formula of denial, or be met with by the assertion of hypothetical fraud ... Scientific knowledge is not advanced by making gratuitously a blanket charge of fraud because no other conventional explanation is available ... Asserting the existence of fraudulent manipulations where there is no evidence to sustain the charge is not only a violation of logical theory and rational method, but a species of dishonesty that betrays prejudice, incapacity, and a moral unwillingness to face realities that threaten the cherished beliefs of a life-time.  The reality of the finger-print phenomena as a genuine supernormal manifestation in the 'Margery' mediumship is to our mind established by overwhelming and rigorous proof ..." (A. S. P. R. Proceedings, the Margery Mediumship, Vol.2 p. 148)

"While he observed her in intermittent red light, excellent wax imprints were obtained by supernormally materialized fingers.  When she regained consciousness  (still bound in her chair), Dr. Tillyard placed in Margery's mouth one mouth-piece of the Richardson Voice-Cut-Out Machine, using the other mouth-piece himself; and while both their physical speech apparati were thus employed in operating the Voice-Cut-Out machine, the independent voice was heard loudly and clearly by other scientists on guard outside the room .  In a letter to Sir Oliver 
Lodge written the next day, Dr. Tillyard had this to say:"

[There appears to be no message subsequent to the above statement in the Hamilton notes W. D. F.:]


February 7, 1932.

Usual preliminary proceeding and talks between controls.

T. G. H.: "May I just ask you one question, Walter, about the cameras?  Do you want me to focus the cameras on Mercedes?"

Ewan: "No, focus them  in the middle of the cabinet between the chairs.  I will not fail you.  I have never failed you.  We are working as hard as we can to give you a photograph; and as long as we have Dawn here we can continue to give you photographs; but we know that you don't want repetitions of what you have already had; and what I'm going to give you will be as important as proofs as our fingerprints. My fingerprints are neither greater nor less as proof than this photograph will be.  We are going to prosecute this work to the conclusion, and if sometimes I seem  unkind, out of temper, cruel or cross, you must forgive me.  These are but ripples on deep water.  My control over the boy is light compared with that over Dawn; and I want you to realize how much Dawn does for you and how willingly she does it, surrendering herself to me.  I am very anxious to use this boy as I have used Dawn, but I have not that deep-seated control over him that I must have for certain purposes.  There is something different about him that Dawn and Mercedes do not have.  Some quality holds him back from allowing himself to be used as he should be.  Tell him again and again that there is nothing to be afraid of.  I will not do anything with him  that you would not approve of.  Tell him that he may rely on your promises; that I will not use him in any way other than he might wish to be made use of."

T. G. H.: "Will it be all right to refocus the cameras on a sheet over the cabinets as we did before?"

Ewan: "Yes, but if it is necessary to refocus, be as careful as possible.  I wish you could sit oftener."

T. G. H.: "We have arranged a sitting for Wednesday."

You and: "That's fine, although I may have to ask you to meet oftener than that."

Mercedes: "Good night, friends."

Ewan: "I think we will close now.  Let Dawn sit quietly.  In a few minutes say 'good night' and she will come back to you.  In the last two or three sittings before the picture I may not be able to communicate with you as it will be very difficult."

9:52 p.m.        The sitting closes.


February 10, 1932.        

Report of sitting.

Dr.  James Hyslop (Former secretary of the American Psychical Society) and  noted  investigator  of  mental  phenomena.

Walter: "That's terrible.  Are you all sick?  You were much later than usual.  What is the matter?"

9:47 p.m.        Sitting opens.

T. G. H.: "Mrs. Chown is away and Mercedes was unable to come at the last moment."

Dawn: "Does she lead the party."

Ewan: "That's it.  Put the blame on someone else."

Dawn: "Are we to have the music?  Sing something."

Circle sing "Solomon Levi" and there is a rapid and vigorous hand slapping and stamping on the part of Dawn and Ewan, dragging the song along faster and faster.  They become very violent.

9:51 p.m.        Dawn: "There, don't you feel better?"

T. G. H.: "Somewhat."

Walter: "That's fine, that's fine." (Spoken in a hoarse, possibly direct voice.)

The gramophone is then turned on.  Dawn is whispering, but I cannot make out what she says.  Again pounding begins; either Harry, David or Dawn, at least two of them , possibly three.

Ewan control: "Keep in time.  Keep in time.  Oh, she is dead.  What are you going to do?  You are going to get it in the neck.  Do something quick.  Don't sit there and stare.  She wants something to drink."

T. G. H.: "Who does?"

Ewan: "The corpse."

There now follows more wild and heavy rubbing of wood.  Ewan starts breathing heavily and then pounds violently with his feet so that he shakes the whole room.  This lasts a half minute.  

He gasps and then Dawn speaks: "Take him to the chair in the center of the room, and Sterge with him."

There then follows a conversation between Dr. Hyslop and Dr. Hamilton.

[All the above queer activities apparently produced the required psycho-physical energy necessary for the control of the Ewan organism. - L. H.]

Report  of  conversation  between Dr. James Hyslop

Through Ewan (Harry Green)  and Dr.  T. G. Hamilton.

Dr. Hyslop  one of the founders of The American Psychical  Research Society and  famous investigator.

Occasional remarks were made by Walter through Dawn and by William through Barney.

Ewan had been in deep trance from the commencement of the sitting and had just been moved forward to the table in the center of the room on Dawn's order.  He had been accompanied by Sterge.  Ewan was sitting at the table and Sterge standing at the side and opposite, holding his hands.

Dawn: "You can talk with him now."

T. G. H.: "How are you?"

Hyslop: "Very well, very well indeed."

T. G. H.: "Have you anything to say to us tonight or anything you wish to talk about?"

Hyslop: "I should be glad to talk about anything you wish.  In fact, I might even ask you some questions about conditions here."

T. G. H.: "How are you getting along with the work?

Hyslop: "We are getting along very well.  Walter is very pleased with the progress that he is making with the photographs."

T. G. H.: "You know that I will be leaving here in about ten days."

Hyslop: "Yes, but we can't stop the work on that account.  We will have to keep going."

T. G. H.: "What is the relation of muscular action in trance to the production of ectoplasm?"

Hyslop/Ewan: "When the muscles are relaxed they are more open to suggestion.  When they are held taut and tight it is very difficult to release the energy compacted in them.  This may sound nonsensical to you, but the muscle contains energy in itself quite independent of the energy as ordinarily thought of in muscular action."

T. G. H.: "Is the energy in the nerves of the muscle or in the muscle fibers?"

Hyslop/Ewan: "In the fibers."

T. G. H.: "Will the nerves activate the energy?"

T. G. H.: "Yes, energy is activated at the dictate of the brain; but the will to energy is not energy itself."

T. G. H.: "Brain releases the energy."
Hyslop/Ewan: "Yes, in a sense."

Dawn (breaking in): "Don't ask those questions.  You know the answers to them  yourself."

T. G. H.: "......"

Hyslop/Ewan: "Oh, far greater than that.  It is as a fiery flame."

T. G. H.: "Like intense energy."

Hyslop: "So far as I know truth is the source of all energy, but I really know very little about it and speak as a child even as you do."

T. G. H.: "Dr. Hyslop, were you a doctor of medicine, or of philosophy?"

Hyslop: "I was neither.  I was a psychologist, and was laughed at by philosophers.  I was incapable of the mental flights in the pure light of the philosophy of such men as ...., you can name them  yourself, doctor .... ultimate experiences in the flight of the mind."

T. G. H.: "They do not help to get us anywhere."

Hyslop: "Yes, they do.  They help in a sincere search for truth, even though they may not bear the richest fruit.  No search for truth is without its value.  Always a search will receive some reward.  I myself was not capable of understanding, but that is no reason why philosophy may not be able to help those who can understand."

T. G. H.: "Then Plato's philosophy was of value to the people?"

Hyslop: "Yes, and to Plato."

T. G. H.: "Have not the new advances in physics, astronomy and chemics (chemistry?) changed the aspects of philosophy?"

Walter/Dawn (in annoyed tone): "That is of no importance at present.  The energy is getting low."

Hyslop: "Poor fellow (referring to Walter).  He is concentrated on this one thing about which he is very anxious.  He has no other outlet but is entirely bounded by one thought.  He has striven with the greatest difficulties to bring the work to a successful conclusion and doesn't understand any other line."

T. G. H.: "Well, could you suggest some line on which we might talk?"

Hyslop: "If I could only get this medium into the condition in which I would like to have, I would then be glad to sit and argue with you about anything."

T. G. H.: "Well, I have been criticized because it has been said that the materializations which we have obtained are not truly three-dimensional.  They have a certain depth and are not really flat." 

Hyslop: "No, they are not flat.  They are curved."

T. G. H.: "Is the nose lifted above the cheeks for example"  

Hyslop: "You understand something of the method used in the production of maps and the projection will follow according as there is a greater or lesser curvature."

Walter/Dawn ( quite excitedly): "Very good!  Very good!  An explanation which I myself was unable to make."

William: "But these are but the initial stages of the explanation."

T. G. H.: "Some of the materializations are more nearly flat than others."

Hyslop: "Under certain circumstances the plasm takes on a wider form.  It is much more difficult to build it up compactly and to hold it together.  Its tendency is outward, so that energy must be directed towards the edges to hold it in the desired form."

T. G. H.: "Tell me, is the ectoplasm operated through a teleplasmic cord from the medium to make it take form.?"
Hyslop: "It is operated upon directly by us.  The medium only provides the ectoplasm, and is attached to it by a cord.  We then operate directly upon it, it being pliable to thought."

T. G. H.: "Well then, was that ship of ours built up by supernormal manipulation or by thought?" [Experimental manipulation?]

Hyslop: "Thoughts are what are pictured.  I don't know what prompted that picture, but I have been told the weather at that time was very unsatisfactory, and you had to come back repeatedly, but that it was a very good effort."

Dawn: "The atmosphere was very turbulent."

Hyslop: "We take the material available and subject it to forces exactly as any other matter might be subjected.  For a time being it is like all other matter, but its pliability is in the inverse ratio to its relationship to your time."

T. G. H.: "The more speedily it is produced, to more easily you can handle it?"

Hyslop: "If we were able to take it out of your time it would be so easy; but the stability of matter interferes with its pliability to thought."

Walter/Dawn: "I am so glad.  I could not say that."

William/Victor: "It is very well put."
Walter/Dawn: "You see when you have intelligent people speaking to you, you get somewhere."

Hyslop: ("Don't repeat what has been said to anyone who is likely to tell our medium.  He is not deep enough, but that his own consciousness might upset him and make him laugh at himself. ) I was saying that matter is unstable and easily dissolved."

William/Victor: "Good, good!"

Walter/Dawn: "Yes, yes."
                                        
T. G. H.: "This then may explain transmutation and dematerialization?"

Hyslop: "Dematerialization, yes; but I'm not sure of the other."

T. G. H.: "Then you ......... for reconstruction afterwards."

Hyslop: "Thought appears as energy compelling it to assume its former aspect. (I have nearly got this boy where I want him, and I'm truly speaking to you myself.")

Walter/Dawn: "By and by you may be able to photograph a real entity; but I may not do it myself because it is so very difficult."

T. G. H.: "Well, would it be possible to photograph someone through thought?  Someone who is not on your side but is here on earth?"

Walter/Dawn (angrily): "No, no."

Hyslop: "He is speaking from the practical side; but theoretically there is no reason against it, though it would be a matter of great difficulty, as it would be necessary to focus thought influences and make the energies of many converge, picking up that thought picture and replacing it upon the teleplasm."

T. G. H.: "Well, would it be possible to photograph the personality of a medium in trance?"

Hyslop: "Well, that would be simpler than the other that you suggested, and quite possible."

T. G. H.: "But does not that upset all arguments for discarnate existence?"

Hyslop: "How do you mean?"

T. G. H.: "Do you mean that these are all thought forms?"

Hyslop: "We are all forms of thought.  To me we are incarnate and you are discarnate."

The conversation then closed and Walter suggested through Dawn that further sittings might be had with Dr. Hyslop aside from the regular Sunday night sittings so as not to interfere with the picture.

Ewan: "Turn him around now and seat him in his chair.  We have had a very successful time.  That is to say, Walter has been very busy while I have been engaging your attention.  This was really just a diversion."

Dawn: "You shall have longer talks later.  Now please break and go quietly.  That is all at this time.

T. G. H.: "Just one question.  Do you want me to focus the cameras in the center of the cabinet above the mediums' heads?"

Walter/Dawn: "In the center of the cabinet just even with their heads."

"Jingle Bells" is then sung.

10:10 p.m.        The meeting closes.

Letter:


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


February 19, 1932

[Letter from Dr. Hamilton to Dr. Harvey Agnew - Toronto:]

"... I have arrangements made whereby I should leave Toronto in time to reach Rochester on the morning of the 26th in order to spend some time with Dr. Mees, head of the Research Laboratories of the Eastman Kodak Company.  I wish particularly to discuss the use of infra-red rays in photography with him.
                
"Will try to reach New York evening of 27th and meet with Columbia University on Sunday afternoon - Monday evening at A. S. P. R. 

"On return from Washington meeting on March 4 hope to reach Toronto about March 8 and maybe a couple of days will confer with you and call on some relatives.

"Happy to know Professors Anderson and Melson will be given opportunity to discuss photometric tests.  I think this is very highly important in disclosing the nature of these forms.

"... While in Toronto last year I remember the name of one Dr. King of the Banting Research Institute.  If you thought fit it might be advisable to have Dr. King present in some of the groups.  I shall account it a great privilege to meet any others who are interested ..."


February 21, 1932.

Note from Dr. Bruce Chown's notes.

Katie/Mercedes: "After you get the next photograph (materialization) I am going to try to materialize once more.  I would like Mercedes to have a rest for a while."

Walter: "The signal for the next photograph will be: one, two, three, fire!  Dr. Chown is to take the photograph in Dr. Hamilton's absence.    L. H.

See Katie materialization of April 23, 1933.

See Walter eyes of March 6, 1932. (T. G. H. was absent in the East on a lecture tour, when the phenomenon "Walter's Eyes" was photographed.  Dr. Bruce Chown was in charge of the experiment.


February 28, 1932.

Addendum of sitting on February 28, 1932

At the end of the sitting, all the sitters having left the room save Jack, Ewan, Victor, and myself, I was engaged in closing the cameras while the other three carried on a conversation; Ewan being the only one in trance.  When I had finished with the cameras, Ewan was putting on his socks and talking as Dr. Hyslop was saying how clever he was to have taken them off and put them  on himself.  He went on to say that Mrs. Hamilton should not be too disturbed by the evening's upset, but that Walter wanted him to say that he, Walter, had been controlling two mediums at one time; later he said three, and that such an operation was very delicate so that the slightest disturbance upset it.  He talked along these lines for some time, and meanwhile Victor left the room.

Jack then started to recall him from trance and I leaned over to touch him.  He then continued somewhat as follows: "Here, you know who I am.  You know who it is that is speaking to you now.  Take my hand; I give you my hand on it that I will give you the picture (or you will get the picture) at the next séance."

He had been standing shaking my hand vigorously while saying this.  He now suddenly collapsed on the chair and shouted "so long" and almost immediately came out of trance.


February 28, 1932.

Incident  at  sitting  referred to  in Chown's  notes.

Ewan was in profound trance on the floor at my feet.  Walter instructed me through Dawn to watch him carefully; I leaned forward from time to time to examine his pulse which I found to be faint, faster than normal, but regular.

Noticing that his breathing appeared to be very subdued, I placed my hand on his chest to ascertain whether or not breathing was palpably perceptible.  No one knew this but myself.  In the darkness Walter/Dawn immediately ordered me to desist in such loud, rude tones, that for a moment I felt upset.  Supernormal awareness of my action on the part of Walter was an assured fact.
                                

March 4, 1932

[Washington - large attendance - meeting arranged by Miss Barr.]


[Letter from Dr. Hamilton to Dr. Harvey Agnew - Toronto:]

"... Now that all the excitement of the Easter trip has passed off, I  am glad to be home and again at work.  I am enclosing herewith a copy of the photograph taken while I was absent.  Unfortunately, the camera plate-holder was evidently not in all the way in this case and the result has been disastrous to an otherwise good picture as you will see.  I have not yet enlarged any of the smaller pictures but have an excellent stereoscopic plate from this.  However, it shows at least that I am not the party responsible for this phenomenon.

"... You will notice the eyes above and also a small face just below the dark hair-like patch in the power part of the picture.  We are hoping very shortly to get a better one and I think our work will perhaps go along more smoothly for the next few weeks. If we can get experiments every three or four days it will greatly facilitate and speed up the matter of these products.

"... I was greatly impressed while in Toronto with the enthusiasm of your groups and hope you may be successful in locating some person or persons who will prove effective for furtherance of the work in your city ..."


March 6, 1932.                

Dr. Bruce Chown; Ewan; W. Hobbes; W. B. Cooper; Mrs. Cooper; Mrs. Chown; Elizabeth M.; Dawn; Mercedes; Ada Turner; Mrs. T. G. Hamilton; Jack MacDonald; Margaret Hamilton, recorder.

Note:  Dr. James D. Hamilton was detained and arrived some minutes late for the séance.

Dr. T. G. H. not present.  On this date he was away on a lecture tour in Eastern Canada and the United States, on which he started February 22, 1932.  (signed  H.A.V. Green.)

Statement:        

Walter/Dawn        

States that the teleplasm reveals two faces.  (Teleplasm of  {} and shows "Walter" eyes and  {} dark face.

8:20 p.m.        All were in the séance room.  Dr. Chown opened the cameras.  We sing "Unto the Hills."
8:25 p.m.        Sing, "Lead Kindly Light."

Walter speaks through Dawn, saying, "Good evening."

E.M.  entranced, mutters: "Where's Tom and Jim?"  I want to see the boys, Will and Robert's with me ... bring me the spinning wheel; I've some work to do for the boys ... There is Margaret on my hip.  Robert and Will help me a lot ... I've come to see the boys.  Hello (to L. H.)"

E.M. says she sees a man, older, not very big, who gives the name "James Hamilton."

8:35 p.m.        Sing, "Nearer My God to Thee."

E.M.  (entranced) is heard to mutter, "That was sung, and I was sinking ... Where's the boss?"

Victor: "He's away on a lecture tour."

E. M. : "Where's the other?" (J. A. Hamilton)

Victor: "He's looking after a patient ... Did you bring Julia?"

E. M. : "She was here but went away ..."

[Dawn experiment begins}

8:36 p.m.        Circle numbers in order.

8:38 p.m.        J. A. Hamilton comes into séance room, and takes his place in circle.  Sing "In the Cross."

8:42 p.m.        Mercedes, clairvoyantly, sees Spurgeon with a book, a Bible.  Victor asks him to show it.  E.M.  clairvoyantly sees three books in his hands; so also does Victor.

Sing, "When He Cometh."

Mercedes (entranced): "Your scientific experiments are very excellent for evidential purposes; but do not, on any account, neglect the spiritual content.  It must come first.  Sometimes friends, I am a little afraid you are slipping.  You must not do that.  Remember to hold the spiritual first.  Spurgeon.

Ewan:  (entranced) "You must place Dawn on the chair.  Sterge (Jack MacDonald's control ), you do it.  She is in deep trance.  Do not awaken her, she should not have left her chair."

Walter:(speaking through Dawn) "Just leave her; she will be placed by myself."

Dawn then gets up and goes to her chair.

8:47 p.m.        Sing," Jingle Bells."

8:48 p.m.        Sing, "Golden Slippers."

Ewan: "Mercedes, sit on the other side of the cabinet; one, the other side of the wall of the cabinet, beside Victor.  Don't let go Dawn's hand."  Mercedes does to.

8:55 p.m.        Walter (through Dawn): "Speak to him in the chair."

Dr. Chown: (to Ewan's control) "Good evening."

Walter/Dawn: "Do not let the conversation lag."
                        
Ewan: "We will talk about expectations.  What are our expectations based on?  Premonitions, largely."

Dr. Chown: "Not as a rule - desire, hope, fear, irrational hope or fear."

Ewan: "Fear, largely.  There is no cause for fear here.  Expectations are based on hope, not fear of anything happening."

Walter/Dawn: "Hope for the best."

Ewan: "Not very much to the point; but as far as it goes it is helpful.  But it doesn't go very far ... keep him engaged in conversation." 

Here follows a nonsense conversation between Dr. Chown and Ewan, with various members of the group making remarks from time to time.
9:24 p.m.        Ewan calls for music.  We sing "Jingle Bells."  

Walter( through Dawn): says,"That's fine! Keep going."

9:30 p.m.        Walter/Dawn: (to Dr. Chown) "Are you ready?"

9:31 p.m.        Dawn stands, bows three times, raises her right hand, folded over breast, does the same with the left hand; speaks in a deep voice, with quiet, deliberate manner: "Good evening, friends."

All: "Good evening, Black Hawk."

Black Hawk: "Paleface (Walter) has been with you and is still here.  He is doing something for you and hopes that conditions will be satisfactory.  I have just been asked to make the medium stand upon her feet.  She will be seated as soon as you get the message.  You will immediately fall in with the request.  I think from what I can see it will not be long ... Thank you."  Bows three times, raised his right hand, folds it across breast, also left hand.

9:35 p.m.        We sing "Clementine."

9:43 p.m.        Dawn (quietly): "Ready?  One ... two ... three ... four!"

Flash is fired on fourth count.

We sing "Jingle Bells" lustily.  The effect of the flash seems to be very marked on Dawn, who breathes very heavily.

9:47 p.m.        Dawn again counts 1-2-3-4, and repeats it, 1-2-3-4.

Dr. Chown: "Sorry, we are ready for only one flash."

Walter/Dawn: "Oh, I thought you were to be ready for two.  Place the medium on the floor, please, quickly."

Ewan is placed on the floor with his head almost at J. A. Hamilton's feet.

Walter: "Thank you, thank you.  Sing, please."

9:49 p.m.        Walter: "How long would it take you to get ready?"

Dr. Chown: "Sorry, I can't get ready tonight."

Walter: "Never mind; it's all right."

Dr. Chown: "We would have to get new plates.  The doctor loaded the cameras before he left, and I don't know about it."

Walter: "Well, we can hold the other picture."

Dr. Chown: "If we get one good picture we will be very, very grateful."

Ewan control: "If you come in good condition again it will be all right."

Walter: "They're never in good condition; they're half drunk all the time ... I told you, not you, Dr. Chown; but I said to take so many with one camera, and so many with another."

Dr. Chown: "He understands; but he forgot."

Walter: "Well, it was alright ... You tell them  what was done just before the picture was taken, Sterge."

Jack/Sterge: "I remember before the picture was taken, my hand was raised over the medium's face, forehead, temples, hair, ears, and under her chin, and nothing was there."

Katie (through Mercedes): "You will question Mercedes when she is normal."

Walter: "I intended ... you got two faces ... one ... I think ..." (this was not given clearly, as Walter seemed to be quite excited.)

Katie: "Close.  There are entities who are in here to spoil your picture."

9:55 p.m.        Benediction is spoken.

Katie: "I want you to question Mercedes when she is normal.  Just wait a little until he closes the cameras."
Downstairs, after the seance, Mercedes stated in the presence of the rest of the group that immediately prior to the flash, Dawn, entranced, took Mercedes left hand and drew it over her (Dawn's) face.  Mercedes also stated that her own condition was normal when her hand was passed over Dawn's face.  She also said that Dawn's face felt much thinner and smaller than normal.  Jack MacDonald also stated that when he was examining the medium's face, his hand came into contact with Mercedes' hand as she was examining the face.

[ Note: These eyes unquestionably  resemble the eyes of Walter Stinson, deceased brother of  Mrs. L. R. G. Crandon of Boston. - likeness below is said to be one of Katie and John's "crew" of pirates.  L. H.]


[ Photo of Walter's eyes ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[Wide-Angle view of Walter's eyes]

[Addendum]

The Walter Eyes Experiment.

[Dr. Bruce Chown, internationally known for his work into the nature of blood, joined the Hamilton group in 1930, acting as note taker, and when needed, as Director, if and when doctor  T. G. Hamilton had to be absent on medical business.

He was in charge on March 6, 1930, when the Walter 'eyes' appeared in plasm.  The usual precautionary measures were taken - medium undressed, bathed and re-robed, all sitters hands linked.  Prior to calling for the exposure, Walter had Mercedes and Jack MacDonald each examine the medium's face; each declared that they found nothing on it.]

Flash fired at 9:43 p.m. Walter asks for a second flash, but Dr. Chown has to refuse, as the cameras are not readied for this.

Walter quite excited, announces that he gave two faces ... T. G. H. was absent, in Montréal and New York, on C.M.A. Executive business, and also giving lectures to various interested groups in New York and Montréal.


March 7, 1932

[Letter from Lillian Hamilton to Mr. Stanley De Brath.]

"... In view of the many and varied ideas as to what really does constitute irrefutable evidence in the matter of metapsychic phenomena, both within and without psychical research circles, it seemed to the members of our group that the time was ripe for clearing the air in this regard.  Many will no doubt disagree with Mr. Green's interpretation of the mental phenomena obtained with Mrs. Osborne Leonard which he cites - he is using these, of course, simply by way of example; but recent discoveries in the subjective field such as those disclosed by Dr. Osty, make this stand, I think, a fairly reasonable one.  At any rate, these points are worthy of thought and discussion and for this reason Dr. Hamilton thought that possibly you might like to use Mr. Green's article in part or in full.

"... We are all delighted with the way the photographs came out in the "Raymond" article.  You may be interested to know that we have just obtained another marvelous teleplasmic mass at last night's sitting.  There is a face in it but as I have not yet seen a print; I am, therefore, unable to say who it is.  We are very glad to have obtained it while Dr. Hamilton is away.  From the evidential point of view this is all to the good. 

"... It is just possible that Dr. Hamilton and myself will be in London in July during the meeting of the British Medical Association and in this case we shall look forward to meeting you personally."


March 13, 1932.                

Mrs. Poole; Gordon Chown; L. H.; Ewan; Ada Turner; W. E. Hobbes; Eva Cooper; W. B. Cooper; Dawn; J. A. Hamilton; Jack MacDonald.

Lucy states that Katie is anxious to resume her work with Walter, and that instructions will be given from time to time.


March 15, 1932

[Article from Winnipeg Tribune]

[This article written by Prof. W. T. Allison, of Dept. of English, University of Manitoba.]

This article of March 15, 1932 may have the title "Winnipeg Does Psychic Research"

"Dr. T. Glenn Hamilton has returned to Winnipeg after a lecture trip to Toronto, New York and Washington.  For the last 14 years he has been quietly and patiently conducting experiments in the field of psychic research and the results he has obtained chiefly in the form of photographs of ectoplasmic subjects, have made him famous in Europe and America."

"Last year, he lectured in Toronto to a large audience of clergymen, of various denominations to a gathering twice as large of medical men.  He also lectured at Dartmouth, one of the leading colleges of New England, to a group of Columbia University professors in New York, and to members of the New York branch of the American Society for Psychical Research."

Large Audiences

"On his recent trip, which he undertook on a pressing invitation from the New York Psychic Society, he gave his second illustrated address on his psychical investigations.  This was delivered in the Music Hall of Carnegie Hall."
"According to an extended report of his lecture in the "Brooklyn Eagle," the hall was crowded to capacity, and it was necessary to turn many people away.  Among the 600 persons present were numerous well-known professional men of New York City."

"In Washington, also, a large and influential audience, which included many members of Congress and officials of the departments of the Federal service, followed the Doctor's scientific expositions of photographs of séance-room phenomena with the closest attention and warmest appreciation."

"During a brief stay in Rochester, Dr. Hamilton visited the research laboratory of the Eastman Kodak Company, and had an interesting interview with the physicist in charge respecting the action of infra-red rays, with a view to their use in repeated registering of photographs of teleplasmic mass at short intervals."

Will not Dissolve

"The doctor is of the opinion that it may be possible for him to secure a series of pictures at short intervals by using infra-red rays instead of the ordinary flashlight which he has employed up to the present time."

"There is good reason to believe that ectoplasm will not dissolve under soft red light and by using the infra-red rays it may be possible to obtain pictures of this mysterious substance which will show progressive changes in its structures."

"While in Toronto, Dr. Hamilton, by request, met a group of graduates of Toronto University, including several professors and gave them an address at Hart House."

"Subsequently, he visited the laboratory of one of the leading physicists of Toronto University where photo-metric tests were made of the teleplasmic forms as disclosed in the Winnipeg psychic pictures.  The value of these tests lies in emphasizing the three-dimensional aspects of these remarkable photographs."

Advanced into open

"Dr. Hamilton has long since discovered that exactness of technique has to be observed in securing these pictures in the séance room and he  reports that the photo-metric tests in Toronto brought to light details that not only positively ensure the super-normality of the phenomena but which at once engaged the mind in problems that are startling in their significance."

"Psychic research, from being the study of mysteries supposed to be associated with questionable phenomena in darkened rooms, has now advanced well into the open and to the true student of nature presents fascinating and uplifting disclosures."

"Dr. Hamilton was much impressed on this tour by the sympathetic interest that is being taken in psychic research nowadays by outstanding members of his own profession, by University men, and by thoughtful people generally."

[The second sheet is a copy of earlier material "Says No Barrier Between Here And Next World" - this is of the Mrs. Dart material relating to her vision of a dead friend 24 hours before her own death in an auto accident]

[There is also a copy of a short article on a Mr. Plaskett, of Victoria, an astronomer - who met with Dr. Hamilton.]

Direct voice proved

"Mr. Thorogood undertook several sittings a week for a period of about four months from February to May, 1932.  By devising stringent methods of medium-and group-control, he was able to establish unequivocally the authenticity of the direct voice, and the unquestioned super-normality of the finger-printed phenomena.  He said in his report:

'... That the phenomena are strange and unrecognized in any of the conventional categories of science should stimulate interest in them rather than excite derision for the attempt to examine them scientifically ... the evidence for their reality is compelling and cannot be disposed of by the formula of denial, or be met with by the assertion of a hypothetical fraud ...'

Overwhelming proof

"Scientific knowledge is not advanced by making gratuitously a blanket charge of fraud, because no other conventional explanation is available."

"The reality of the finger-print phenomena as a genuine supernormal manifestation in the 'Margery' mediumship is to our mind established by overwhelming and rigorous proof ..."


March 21, 1932

[Letter from Stanley De Brath to Mrs. Hamilton:]

"... I am delighted to have Mr. Green's article and will reproduce it in the July Psychic Science.  Of course I agree with its general contention, though I think, with Sir Oliver Lodge, that the hypothesis of telepathy from minds which have no sort of connection one with another is an over-strained hypothesis.

"Should you and Dr. Hamilton be in London next July it will give me great pleasure to meet you both.

"The question of evidence is an intricate one.  "Scientific" evidence is restricted to sense-evidence in the one experiment in hand and is therefore very limited in its scope.  But philosophic evidence is much wider and more general in its application. It covers the whole field of human knowledge and therefor gives special grounds for the acceptance or rejection of a general theory.

"... If you have read Caesar de Vesme's   "History of Experimental Spiritualism", you will have seen that these phenomena, so virulently opposed by certain men of science who have not been able to disentangle their minds from the shackles of mechanistic theories, have been universal during the entire course of human history.  These books, laureated by the French Academy of Sciences, are a most valuable light on the phenomena of the present day.  They introduce us to new facts, new in the sense that they have not hitherto been taken due account of.  His thesis is that the Mana of all savage nations and surviving among the most primitive of any, is necessarily the first point of departure for the Religious idea.  From this one can trace quite confidently the gradual development of the idea of immortality and the development of the various religions of mankind.

"... These latter he does not touch upon; he contents himself with showing the logical sequence of ideas.  He does not deny the influence of a supernormal world, but he does show that dogmatics are untenable to the philosophic mind.  This does not in the least annul  the essence of Christian teaching, but revolts against institutionalism in the present day.  He returns to the Teaching of Christ as the essence of a system which the world cannot do without.

        "... Do read the books; at any rate "Primitive Man".


March 23, 1932

[Letter from Dr. Hamilton to Dr. G. C. Brink, - Toronto:]

"... The photograph which came through in my absence was not without its accidents.  The best copy has been damaged, I judge by the plate holder not having been fully inserted, hence the light bars across the copy which I enclose.  I may be able to enlarge one of the others but they are very, very small as compared with this.

"... You will notice the two eyes looking out through the teleplasm above and also the face semblance overcovered with scraggy hair below.  The upper we understand to be Walter but we have hopes that shortly another photograph will be forthcoming and I am exerting utmost precaution to see that it will be a success.  This copy, however, taken when I was in Baltimore, is a very effective alibi ..."


March 23, 1932.        

As above.  T. G. H. still absent.  Margaret L. Hamilton, Secretary.

Statement:        

John/Ewan                

"Bat" mass to appear in 3 more sittings. (Called also the "dog face" teleplasm.)


March 30, 1932.                .

As above.

Six sittings, including April 3, between Walter "Eyes" of March 6, and the "dog-face teleplasm" of April 4, 1932.

Walter fails - more instructions.

Walter tries to "put through" promised photograph; he fails.  Thinks sitters are too tired.  He says he is like a spider weaving a web - the "threads" will not quite reach.  Ewan three times in deep trance on the floor; three time Walter through Ewan, "Are you ready?"  The last time he explains that he got "fixed" with the medium Ewan and could not release himself quickly enough.  Hopes to get it next time.

New instructions

T. G. H. and L. H. to sit alone between regular sittings ... a table  with them  on which they are to place their hands at rest.  Other table to be placed in cabinet.  The sittings to be a fairly short duration.

After that Ewan and Dawn to meet once separately, and then together.  Group to be split up.

New phenomenon

R. L. Stevenson appears to Mercedes.  Speaks of Edinburg and says he climbed "Arthur's Seat." Says he died among the hills.  Still a young man.  He promised to return and talk.  Talks about his shadows that went in and out with him (See "Child's Garden of Verse.")

All sitters present except the Chowns and Miss Turner.


April 2, 1932.

[Two photos:  "Imitative teleplasm of April 2, 1932.  Dubbed "The Hound of the Baskervilles."  Doyle was said to be present, preparing to put through his likeness in teleplasm.  Doyle died in 1929.]


[ Photo of the hound of the baskervilles - the dog-face teleplasm - first flash ]


[ Photo - first flash ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo - first flash residue ]


[ Photo ]


[ Photo of hound of the baskervilles - second flash ]


[ Photo ]


April 6, 1932.                

L. H.; Eva and W. B. Cooper; Jack MacDonald; Ada Turner; Mrs. Poole; J. A. Hamilton; Gordon Chown; Mercedes; Dawn; Ewan; Dr. Bruce Chown, Secretary.

Toward the close of the sitting Walter/Dawn says he has been away a long-distance; went to see and sketch a famous man, but he could not find him.  He was not in his laboratory, not at home; he must have been visiting. He (Walter) says he has the "canvas stretched" to draw him.  He would tell us no more.  

Says he has everything "set up" for an experiment.  Again he says that Ewan and Dawn are to sit separately during the week; then all together.  T. G. H. can divide the group - two mediums in each group.

[Walter intimates that he will make his sketches visible.] 


April 11, 1932.                

Full group present.  

Walter says he is surprised to see all; as he had asked to sit with Ewan and Dawn alternately.


April 13, 1932.                

Sitting with Dawn.  T. G. H., L. H., J. A. Hamilton, Victor, 

Walter claims to be working.

April 15, 1932.                

Sitting with Ewan.  T. G. H. and L. H. present.  L. H. and Ewan in cabinet.  

L. H. feels faint with the power of the "force".  

Walter claims to be building.


April 17, 1932.         

Dr. and Mrs. Chown absent.

Statement:        

Doyle/Mercedes        

Doyle predicts that he will put his (by trance writing) picture through by means of Walter's work - (that is teleplasm) (See Doyle Mass of face of May 1, 1932)

Re Second Doyle Face

10:05 p.m.   T. G. H.: "I was just trying one."

Walter/Dawn: "All right."


Ewan: "Now I am going to take control of Ewan.  I will not be with Dawn henceforth."