1930 - Mar 16 - Apr 14

1930

Mar 16 - Apr 14


March 16, 1930.                        

The John and Katie King phenomena begin

9:08 p.m.        Meeting opens.

9:36 p.m.        Dawn sits at the back of the room.  Usual  E.M. trance and visions.  Ewan is in the cabinet following the  E.M . manifestations.  E.M. relates visions.  She sees Arthur F.(Findlay?), says he looks well and happy but has white hair.

9:47 p.m.        The group number: Ewan in the cabinet says "twelve" and asks the clerk to speak to him.  Asks the group to sing a sea shanty.  Much commotion, loud talking, etc., by both controls - Walter and Ewan.  Walter roars at times with laughter.  Much horse-play between the two controls.  Continual pretense of being on a ship.

John/Ewan: "Let me go my own way.  I know what I am doing. (Walter interrupts).  He (Walter) is a great help to me; don't make any mistake.  Good lad ... I am winning slowly, but tonight - oh, yes, I got further, friends.  I like your songs.  I can use this medium when I get a little more control.  I have used him tonight, but not as I would wish.  I do not understand why you laugh and laugh.  It is hard for this medium.  Our friend (Walter) is attuned to me; he is working with me and everything he does is helpful.  But as I told you, it is very hard for me.  I was nearly succeeding tonight.  I was nearly feeling, feeling myself, tonight.  I was nearly telling you tonight something about myself.  But you must never, until I have told you to do so, speak to this medium.  I have control of his limbs and of his voice. I have almost complete control of the senses, but not quite.  I was on the point tonight of cutting the last tie when I was interrupted.  But next time I will do better."

Walter: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

Ewan: "Our friend is right; he is quite right.  He has always the cheery word.  I would like if this boy could be induced to think more of us; it is not that he does not accept but he should rely more on me.  He does not believe quite as much as some of you.  He does not accept many things that he ought to do.  I will come with him whenever you can sit with him."

Dawn moves through the circle and sits in front of the table, opposite Ewan in the cabinet.  The two controls talk to each other and keep up the pretense that they are on a sailing ship.

Walter: "Every ounce of canvas ..."

Ewan: "I like to hear her strain, the creaking of the wood.  You haven't been to sea like this!  This is the real life!  What does it matter what your men are like!  A ship's a ship!  They were a scurvy crew of ruffians!  But God!  I tell you ... the ship!  The love of the sea!  You don't know what it means.  Do you feel the helm go down and the ship come up?  And at night in the dark with the stars ... and the splash, splash ... sailing, sailing!  Why was it that the king should honor me?  It was not because ... that mastery that comes, however rough a man may be, that knowledge of eternity that is born and bred and rises from the sea!  Those ruffians ... they did not feel that; did not know that; what was it to them ?  Something to spit into.  And the mystery ... of men... and what came to me from eternity.  And because I felt these things in my heart, I was not as they were.  Think what you like ... know what you will... God rises from the sea.  The sky about you, the water underneath, in the presence of God ... there a man is at peace.  This is what I felt."

What were they to me?  As good a crew as any other.  I was conscious of my mastery ... and we came to this land.  I have forgotten that island I was going to tell you about.  I made my mastery dear to all those scoundrels."

Walter asks that we sing "Peace, Be Still" and the group comply.

The captain: "That's all right, my friends.  You have got to steer your own ship, hoist your own sails, lower your own anchor.  You must be master of your ship.  I was master of my ship."

Walter: "It will be my ship they will give you.  It will be in the center of the room.  I don't want anyone in here.  You must not bring any strange influence into this room."

Leave the room as it is; make no alterations.  You will set up your ship and I will model mine from yours (to Ewan).  Your ship will sail and mine will sail also.  We will put to sea in yours ... Goodnight friends.  You can go to your bunks.  Be on deck in the morning."

E.M.  leaves the room.

Walter: "If anyone wants to go, go.  There is a great deal to be done.  Time and tide wait for no man.  Now we can get on."
Ewan: "It is like the lifting of a cloud.( E.M.  went out at this moment).  There are some things, my friends, you don't understand."  On the point of saying more, he is checked by Walter.

Walter: "Don't say it, my friend."

Ewan: "All right."

Walter: "It is good to be here."

Ewan: "I am too outspoken at times.  Do you know who addresses you?"

The group replied that they do not know.

Walter: "Mercedes will speak."

Ewan: "Rise up, Mercedes.  Rise up, my sister."

Sister Lucy: "Good evening.  How do you like your pictures?"

The group: "We are delighted."

Walter: "Give them  the information they are after."

Sister Lucy: "Dear friends, if you knew how pleased I am that he chose me for the materialization!  When I saw him building I did not know.  In his funny little way he said I would do all right to begin with!  I am very pleased that you like it."

Walter: "She has such power of sweet thought; she is more able to implant her features than any of these men."

Sister Lucy: "I thank you for your assistance given to your control and to Ellen's friends.  They also helped.  It is only a beginning.  I am sorry I am not well known."

Sister Lucy is asked to tell something of her life history.

Sister Lucy: "It is very hard to give information.  I think I told you once before that we are only allowed to give so much and then we must stop.  When the work is better known it will be made clearer to you.  Your own Walter does not tell you things you would like to know.  This may seem  strange, but it is so."

[Note: Mrs. Samuel Marshall's husband had been out of work for some time.  In Scotland he had worked at the trade of ship carpenter.  Mr. Hobbes secured him a position with the Winnipeg Street Railway Co. of interior work in streetcars - a position which he yet holds.   L. H.,  November, 1949.]

[Note: The invisible entity giving the name John King (and claiming to be Sir Henry Morgan) known to all pioneer investigators - Crookes, Myers, and others.]


KING OF THE PIRATES (CONTINUED)

Davis and Knith put into an island harbor to refit towards the end of a lengthy Pacific cruise.  With shares of 5000 pieces of eight each, many of the men lost "all their money at play", and, unable to a endure quitting the South Sea with empty pockets, they resolved to start all over again.
                                                                
Scoundrels, murderers, torturers the Buccaneers certainly were, with no sense of patriotism, save in the sense of hating their country's enemies.  Yet they were also, though unwittingly in the vast majority of cases, empire builders.

As such, maybe we should salute them . 

[NOTE:  Re the John King personality.  We were repeatedly told that John's upward progression from the "hell" in which he lived - due to his many sins while on earth, and due to the result of natural law - was being earned by his work through various mediums, to convince the world of life after death.

At the controls' request, we silently prayed for him many times.  He seemed to be helped.

He appear to be a composite of ruthless driving will, with an inner longing for good, which is God.  The eyes in the John King teleplasmic face suggests a soul that has known deep torment.  L. H.]

Someone asked her what we were to tell people about her.
                        
Sister Lucy: "I will leave that to my good friend, the doctor.  I know the words will be put into his mouth to tell the public.  I am known to you.  Tell my medium that if she would just leave the worry of the material alone I could do so much better with her ... it is worry that is sapping her strength.  We need a certain amount of the physical strength, although not much.  She has a good friend on our side, and a good friend on the material side.  I thank your clerk (Hobbes) for what he has done; I hope I do not embarrass."

T. G. H. asks if they "engineer" many things on their side.

Sister Lucy: "I cannot do much although there are others who can.  I can only shed a little sunshine, that is all.  I love you all and I am glad to come and be with you."

She is asked whether the teleplasm was arranged so as to give the appearance of a nun's headdress.

Sister Lucy: "I think your Walter intended it as a mark of recognition."

Walter: "These last few seconds that we have stayed here have done more good than all the others.  We will break up now.  I do not want anyone to enter this room before we meet again.  All come into the room together.  I will be working on my rigging."

T. G. H. asked about seating arrangement for next sitting.
Walter: "Same is now.  When the little lady leaves the cabinet, clear the decks."

Dialogue between Ewan (the Captain) and Walter.  Walter appears to want to close the sitting while the captain wants to prolong it.

Ewan: "I am ... I'll tell you I am ... we will stay till I say 'go' ... I would like ..."

Walter: "He wants to tell you who he is; I won't let him.  I have the frame of your darned old hulk and it stays here!"

Ewan: "I will try my power. (Very loudly).  I will show them  that I can break him.  Who do you think I am?  I am John King.  Don't tell my name to my medium."


March 19, 1930.                

9:07 p.m.        Sitting begins.

Usual  E.M. trance.  At 9:34 p.m.  E.M. says she is coming home.  She moves out of the cabinet.  Dawn, at the back of the room, whistles a tune (presumably Walter). Blows imitation of whistle several times.  Sounds as if not using lips but blowing across the top of a test tube.

9:36 p.m.:    E.M. recounts her trance visions from 9:36 p.m. to 9:50 p.m..  At 9:50 p.m. group sing for Walter.  Walter speaks through Dawn who is at the back of the room.

9:56 p.m.        Walter: "Hello everybody.  How is everybody?  There are lots of people around here tonight.  There's a man with a peg leg looking for the fat man." ( J. A. Hamilton).

W. B. Cooper: "What's his name?"

Walter: "Bill."

T. G. H.: "I know him, but he had no peg leg, just a bad leg."

Walter: "Listen folks!  Are you listening?  I don't want Dawn to go into the cabinet.  I want her outside, at the right side - outside the circle (behind  J. A. Hamilton).  I want her chair to be placed there till I tell you.  There is something going on and I want you to leave things just as they are. When Ewan comes back we can get ahead.  That table has been moved a little too much.  Move it to the left side of the cabinet now.  Don't shake it.  Don't move the chairs.  I am building something on the table, and I don't want it disturbed. I don't want you to touch the cabinet, any of you, especially the top.  It does not matter about the middle.  We are just trying an experiment, something in mid air.  I must have strong invisible supports.  I want to tell you that it won't be long."

Mr. Reed: "Is photography to be used?"

Walter: "Yes, if it weren't for that it wouldn't matter.  How do you like the picture?" (Materialization).
All: "It is lovely."

Walter: "Her beauty comes from good works.  We all grow beautiful here.  You will get more that will be recognized."

A sudden light shines through the séance room door, which has been left slightly ajar following Dr. J. A. Hamilton's return from answering the phone.  Sitters exclaim.  Dawn gasps and seems to be under stress.

Walter: "Friends, you don't know how much harm you do by everyone calling out that way.  One person could have gotten up quietly and seen what was the matter.  Please remember, if anything disturbs, would one person just join the hands of the adjoining sitters and see to the trouble?  Just a little thing has jarred everything around me."

T. G. H.: "Is it the mental attitude or the light that jarred things?"

Walter: "The mental.  I did not see any light but my own.  It was just the disturbing thoughts that take from me.  That left the channel open for others.  You have to learn and we have to learn."

T. G. H.: "Experience counts with you, too."

Walter: "Yes."

T. G. H.: "Do you tabulate results?"
Walter: "Yes.  We meet to discuss with others in our schools.  We report what we have done and relay our experiences and results, just as we did when on the material.  We have our examination somewhat similarly."

T. G. H.: "What about the religious people who say this work is wicked?"

Walter: "They will have to undo, just as many of us have had to undo."

T. G. H.: "Have you ever met Stainton Moses?"

Walter: "I'm afraid not.  He wouldn't understand me."

T. G. H.: "William Crookes?"

Walter: "No.  They are working in a different way from mine.  I have seen William Crookes, but I've had no conversation with him."

T. G. H. asks if communication can ever be secured without the use of a medium.

Walter: "Mediums will always be required.  How could we get in touch otherwise?  It will be much easier when all the people who are interested come over here and help.  The army over here is great but will be greater.  You are sowing the seeds, but will not reap the harvest.  It has been so ... for you are reaping and there will be reaping, reaping."

W. B. Cooper: "Will there be a scientific religion?"

Walter: "Religion?  No.  It will be in the religion.  I have nothing whatever to do with religion.  You had better ask the parson.  I am able to come here and demonstrate that we live and move and hear and feel."

T. G. H.: "We are interested in the work of John King."

Walter: "That his work of another kind ... all kinds of work to be done."

T. G. H.: "He worked with Crookes, didn't he?"

Walter: "He worked through many channels and in many places just as I do.  I work in many places where they do not know me, where my name is never mentioned."

T. G. H.: "There is no harm, I suppose, in saying that Sister Lucy was a Roman Catholic with convent training?"

Walter: "You must ask her that.  She would not object, I think.  She is against the faith she was brought up in, so I have heard her say.  But she will tell you."

10:26 p.m.   Walter: "Come along!  Come along!  Mercedes has something to say to you."

Mercedes: "Good evening, friends.  We are going upstairs you know; and when we get to the top we will go into a room that is as bright as day.  We are all going there, all of us ... going there quite soon.  And we shall see glories in that room.  Good evening."

Sister Lucy: "You wish to ask me something, Walter says.  Would you give me your question , please?"

T. G. H.: "Do you object to us referring to you as a Roman Catholic, a sister of the convent?"

Sister Lucy: "I have no objections whatever.  You can tell what I have told you when I first came.  I cast no reflections on the Roman Catholics ... but I was mistaken.  There are Sisters of many orders and they do lots of good work ... not those who shut themselves up ... but those who administer to the sick and the poor.  I have nothing to say about them; but as for me, it was a mistaken idea.  A young person feels that everything is lost and that she must enclose herself behind convent walls ... there are various reasons; someday I will tell you my reason.  I loved my Savior as my Savior but when I reached the Summerland I found I was mistaken.  My life was not meant to be shut behind a gate.  I met friends; I progressed quickly in the Way; I joined them .  I have worked steadily in this way.  I do not know why I was allowed to come back here.  I would leave it to your good judgment to say what is right."

T. G. H.: "Have you progressed far?"

Sister Lucy: "Yes, but not as far as I can progress."

T. G. H.: "To the celestial spheres?"

Sister Lucy: "No."

T. G. H.: "You spoke of an upper room tonight."

Sister Lucy: "That will be the upper room.  Did I speak of it?  A little while ago there were some friends who were trying an experiment with my medium.  They will try again and they will try until they succeed.  I have nothing to do with it, but Walter is agreeable so long as it does not interfere with his work.  Your friends who have come in here now will bring wonderful results.  You have no idea what a crowd of helpers you have.  Some are not desirable at the present time, but your friend Walter is a stern gate-keeper.  I don't know how I passed.  I slipped in when he was not looking.  He is all right.  Someone here wants you to sing "You may Ransom, You May Save."

The group sing.

Sister Lucy: "Bless you all, my friends.  May you have all the happiness and success in your work which you deserve.  Now that you have my picture, believe that you see me here.  Do not call me Sister Lucy; call me Lucy, will you?"

All: "Yes."

Sister Lucy: "Goodnight."

Walter: "There is a letter there for you Hammy (T. G. H.).  Good news!  You will get it ... maybe ... in five days.  Very good news from afar.  It comes in a large boat.  You will be very pleased."

T. G. H.: "How do you know that?"

Walter: "I see it."

T. G. H.: "How do you see it?"

Walter: "Someone else showed the letter to me.  It is the man that sent the letter.  You'll sign for it.  I would like Dawn to sit at the right of the cabinet for the next two sittings.  Little Willie must be in the cabinet.  I will see that all is right.  He (Little Willie) is a hard nut to crack."

L. H.: "How about mentioning events to him after we go downstairs?"

Walter: "I think it best not to tell him what he does ... or at least what we make him do.  It is very difficult for us to make him do these things.  With Dawn I just have to point my hand and she is off.  Sometimes she is very much worried, but I can always put her to sleep.  It is better not to discuss anything that I'm giving you before Dawn.  It makes her think that she is sick or unwell.  I know she is sometimes sick, but there is nothing in this to hurt her as much as the things she eats sometimes ... and she blames it on me.  I would not injure any particle of her body.  I take nothing from her that I do not give her something in return.  I simply use her as a storehouse for what I require.  I wish she did not eat so much ... I need an open channel ... and sometimes it makes her sick.  I must take it through and bring it up.  I use you all and taken away from you all might give something in return that balances up."

T. G. H.: "When you bring something into the room ... perfume, flowers, beads, etc. ... how do you do it?"

Walter: "I bring them , that's all."

T. G. H.: "You are not 'materializing' them ?"

Walter: "I bring them  as they are.  I bring them  a few seconds before it rests upon the material.  I just hold it, then release it and it springs back.  You ask too many questions.  It is all done so quickly that it deceives the eye ... and blackens it."

T. G. H.: "That is a joke."

Walter: "It helps conditions to be agreeable.  When you sit tense I sure would like to have the medium knock your heads together.  If you could see the medium ... every part of her is moving ... there is a reason.  You didn't number off right.  Number now."

Group do so.

Walter: "So long.  All break."

Light is turned on.  


March 21, 1930.

[Letter from Dr. Hamilton to Dr. Crandon at 10 Lime Street, Boston, Massachusetts.]


Dr. L. R. G. Crandon,
10 Lime Street,
Boston, Massachusetts.


Dear Dr. Crandon: 

        "Report of sitting on Monday, March 10, 1930.

"I have much pleasure in forwarding in a separate container a large copy of our last picture taken on the evening of Monday, March 10.  This picture is the culmination of many weeks' work.

"On the evening of Sunday, March 9, we were advised by Walter that everything was completed, and we were to have Mr. Pitblado present to be a scrutineer of the whole proceedings for the picture-taking.  The room, according to orders, was double locked and double sealed after the sitting on the evening of March 9; and in due time, on March 10, the seals on locks were opened by Mr. Pitblado and Dr. Creighton.

"Before entering the room, all the men threw off their coats, vests, collars, ties and boots, and were searched by Mr. Pitblado.  The ladies, likewise, were searched by Mrs. Dr. Creighton; the medium, Mary M., having been entirely disrobed and the other clothing supplied for the occasion.

"On entering the room Mr. Pitblado went first and searched the whole room with a red flashlight.  We were then permitted to take our places; Mr. Pitblado sitting in the center of the circle, and the performance passed off with the utmost precision.  The signal are ranged for was four blows upon the table, accompanied by trance speech "one ... two ... three ... fire."

"Following our flash, considerable time was taken by Walter in some performance which seemed essential to ensure the safety of the mediums.  I should judge about twenty minutes of time was occupied in this readjustment.

"When the flash went off several present saw the form occupying the vacant chair.  After dismissal from the room which, by the way, had been locked by Dr. Creighton who acted as an outside guard during the whole performance, we were again subjected to examination.

"I then accompanied Mr. Pitblado back to the room where we secured the plates from several cameras which he took into the photographic room. Together we watched the development of two of these plates.  A third plate was brought by Mr. Reed who put up and focused his own camera and took the plate away for development.  A fourth plate, the one from which the large picture is taken, I secured from Mr. Metcalfe, a local photographer from whom I had borrowed the camera which took this plate.  Mr. Metcalfe marked the plate, his mark being recorded on the print to the upper left hand side of the large photograph.  On the morning of March 11, I returned this plate to Mr. Metcalfe who developed it in my presence where we together saw the negative produced from which the large photograph I send you is taken.

"Mr. Pitblado is preparing a lengthy statement in connection with this whole incident and the report of Mr. Hobbes, the secretary, who was the only person in the room apart from the circle proper and Mr. Pitblado, is quite extensive, covering thirteen sheets of letter paper.  Mr. Pitblado asserts that, in his opinion, there has been no link absent in the complete chain of evidence to establish the supernnormality of this picture.  The controls tell us that now they have succeeded in developing the work to this point it will be much easier in future and require very much less time to produce other materializations with even better results.  The person in the photograph purports to be one of the controls of a medium who is in the group on my left; that is, seated upon chair number four clockwise from Mary M.  In all, there were eight lenses bearing upon the subject - two pairs of stereoscopic, and four single.  Of these, seven proved to be excellent photographs.  The medium herself is in deep trance although the eyes appear open.  The materialized mass very closely resembles some teleplasmic makeup in Schrenck-Notzing's and in our own experience.  The face, it will be noted seems to have been developed behind a shield, or within a casing of teleplasm; the front opening of which is the result of splitting and turning backwards of several wings in order to expose the face, as has been noted also in connection with some of the Spurgeon and other photographs we have taken. The beauty of expression on the face at once arrests the attention.  We are all delighted at this wonderfully successful work on the part of Walter and his associates.

"With kindest regards to 'Margery', Browns, Richardsons, and others, I am,

Very sincerely,        

Signed:   T. G.  Hamilton.

Letter:


[ Photo ]


[ Photo ]
                

March 23, 1930.                        

Statement:        

Walter/Mary M.        

We will photograph a teleplasmic "ship".  (See mass of June 4.)

Statement:        

John/Ewan                

Mercedes will be used in the "John King" work. (See Katie phenomena, November 12, 1930 and after.)

Statement:        

Walter/Mary M.        

A "ship" in teleplasm will be photographed.  (See ship of June 4 in stereo)

9:09 p.m.        Sitting begins.

Dawn is placed outside the cabinet, back out of J. A. Hamilton.  E.M. is in the cabinet where she gives usual trance automatisms.  Writing seems to be better, larger and more slowly put through.
9:29 p.m.        (Walter Stinson(?)) asks through  E.M. for a favorite hymn. "Whate'er My God Ordains is Right."

9:33 p.m.        E.M.  comes out of the cabinet on the right side and takes her place between W. B. Cooper and T. G. H.  E.M. relates visions.

9:43 p.m.        Group number off.

W. E. H.: "Good evening, Captain." 

Ewan: "All right."

W. E. H.: "Is there anything I can do for you, Captain?"

Captain: "No, you have done your work.  I'm going round to strangle a pirate."

9:48 p.m.        Singing a hymn followed by "Sailing, Sailing."

9:50 p.m.        Walter/Dawn: "Gangway!  Gangway!"

Ewan moves forward into the cabinet, Walter saying, "Place his chair.  Be gentle!  Be gentle!  Put a little heart into your singing!  Join your hands."

Walter bangs Dawn's hands in time to the singing.  Ewan asked that we sing a sea song, if not a sea song, then something with no words.  Group sings "Sailing."

Ewan: "That's nice, that's nice."

Walter: "Get the hell out of here." (Speaking to invisible).  Stamps and bangs chair on the floor and continues yelling in a high voice.

Captain/Ewan: "It's all right.  Watch him!  Watch him!  Be quiet for a little.  Walter ... Walter ... I hate those ... I was at peace (spoken in a loud whisper).  As a man I cannot do anything while there is anything to attract his (Ewan's) attention.  It is beyond me.  I would have quiet.  I have not yet found how to loosen this boy.  I must try every way.  Give him your sympathy.  Do not laugh at him."

T. G. H.: "No one must laugh."

"The building of the ships"

[Note:  Top of page is handwritten; bottom is typed. "Ewan possessed highly critical faculties due to his excellent education and legal training.  His mind could not accept as real these amazing personalities.  It is interesting to watch this subconscious submission gradually come into view."  L. H.]

W. B.  Cooper: "We will do our best.  We will give him our sympathy."

Captain: "I know.  There is one way for Walter, but another way for me.  Friends are all around, but I must do this myself.  No one can help me with this work.  I must do this, nobody else.  I must have faith, faith; I have faith.  You must have faith.  I am trusting you; you must know that."

W. B. Cooper: "You have control?"

Captain: "Almost.  I will find it easier.  But he is very stubborn.  Walter is anxious to get him, and I will get him.  He is vexed so easily by sound  ... not by anything else.  I can move his arms and legs, and it doesn't matter; but his ears are damnable."

Dawn moves into the center of the circle and sits on the floor facing Ewan in the cabinet.

Walter: "You (Ewan) must write.  You must write."

W. B. Cooper puts pad and pencil on the table for Ewan and Ewan writes.  While writing is going on, Walter interjects such expressions as "Heave ho and a bottle of rum," etc.

Captain: "You must obey.  I must have absolute command.  I must have everybody loyal.  I must have his obedience, too.  I will not be second-in-command.  I will be first.  Now!  Now!  Now!  I must think of some way.  It would be well if I could be with a medium oftener.  I haven't had a chance with him.  I can do nothing because he goes away and thinks nothing about my work until he comes back again to this room.  If you could get one or two to encourage him."

W. B. Cooper: "A special sitting with a smaller group?"

Captain: "Yes, any time. (Walter bangs the table).  Silence!  Oh!  If only I could get control of this damn fool!"

Walter selects five to sit with Ewan.

Walter: "Number off."

The group do so.

All: "Aye, aye, sir."

Ewan: "That's better."

Walter: "It's wet."

Captain: "Oh well, I'll come out and take a look around."

Walter: "You had better; and I'll go below and have a smoke."

Captain: "A dirty night."

Walter: "Yes.  There will be some dirty work at the crossroads."

Captain: "It's all right.  Clear the decks!"  (Some banging and noises.)

Captain: "Stop that noise!  That's my mate.  He's all right.  He's a bit inclined to take things into his own hands.  All right!  Damned fools on this ship."

Walter: "Whistle in the crew."

Captain: "Where's the bos'n?  That's a dandy little ship, isn't it?  We will take that ship and we will bring it into port ... and everyone ..."

Walter: "Sailed away."

Captain: "No, she stayed."

Walter: "This is ..."

Captain: "This is nothing to do with you.  This is my ship.  She's a beauty.  My God, look at her lines.  Did you ever see a shape like that?  I tell you, that ship's got speed.  The ship is living beauty such as you never knew."

W. B. Cooper: "What is the ship's name?"

Walter: "Life.  It is a beautiful ship that enters the harbor.  What do these people want?  Put them  away."

Captain: "Do you think that's only a ship on a table? That's a real ship, got out of the ages."

Walter: "Let them  photograph that ship."
Captain: "God put it there for you to see."

Walter: "Everybody quiet."

[The noble John is seen here.]

Captain: "The ship was mine ... so strong.  Which of you would not go backwards and see things as I saw them  with the first light upon them , with the first light upon me, with the dawn breaking in the land.  And I stood alone on that deck and I raised my arms to God.  Yes, but who can feel God here?  I felt Him there.  To Heaven be the praise," I said.  "I did not have many moments till they came on deck again.  They did not understand.  They could not see ... each possessed with his own little self; but with me, it was something else.  I was conscious that all was me and I was all ... the sun and the sea, the spray, the birds, and those trees floating.  They were all a part and I was part of that morning.  What would that moment of that morning be without me, without that mind!  All, all a part of one moment.  Tonight.  Together.  They never felt that; they never understood that.  They never felt the glory of a losing and a finding, a suggestion of the whole.  What was it after all but a suggestion?, it was an inkling, part and all, an inkling of where I stood in eternity.  Isn't that a proud boast?  I was part of the beauty of that morning?  And so we called the ship out of the infinite around us.  The ship came sailing and as it came it got smaller and smaller until it rested in time and place.  The ship is as large today and as small as you see it.  When the ship has sailed away it will be where it was ... all lovely, all that is lovely.  The crew will be there and I will be there.  All beauty like that exists forever.  Nothing can be wiped out.  There is no yesterday to that ..."

[The above shows philosophical insights]

Captain: "All things are beautiful, even your engine. (To Walter).  Poor little engine; he loves that engine still."

Walter: "I'm going to give them  that engine on the table.  Oh yes, I will.  I suppose it is every man to his taste."

Captain: "Stop talking. Take some foam from these waves and put it in your hands.  It is washed against the table."

Walter: "He's got it.  I want to get out of here.  Who put me in this place?  I don't want to stay here."

Captain: "I told you I was going to command.  You will come to sea with me."

Walter: "There's nothing to see."

Captain: "The man, the sea.  Look."

Walter: "Water, just water.  Oh, my head!"

Captain: "Look at the glory and the wonder of the sea.  Don't you feel the boat toss, feel the decks rising?  Look at that one!  That doesn't do us any harm.  They break and break.  Don't let those fellows laugh at you!  Stand up!  You'll get your sea legs.  All right, try her up a bit.  Steady.  Steady. (Walter groans).  Well, your first morning at sea!  I've kidnaped him, poor little fellow."

Walter: "I don't want to stay here."

Captain: "Stay and see it through.  Be a man."

Walter: "I don't want to be a sailor.  I want to be on land where I can feel something under my feet."

Captain: "You'll be back in a month."

Walter: "A month!  Thirty days!  I hope it's less, more or less."

Captain: "More or less depends on the tide.  Look around you, man."

Walter: "I am looking.  I see nothing, nothing but sea and sky.  This is the greatest ship that ever sailed for England."

Captain: "Reef these sails one by one.  Did you see that?  I will tell your friends; I will have two people with me.  I have to command here.  He will be with me and the other friend at my side here .. that lady ..."

T. G. H.: "Sister Lucy?"

Captain: "Is that your name?  She smiles.  Is that your name?  I don't think it is. This (foolery) may be foolishness to you, friends, but give me time.  I find if I can loosen this boy up it is a help to complete forgetfulness of self.  I wish to operate with all his functions.  I have nearly got him.  I am sorry to impose this silence on you, but I find that it is the best.  I can only conjure up the spirits of the vast deep.  I can feel myself on my own deck through alien feet.  I can impose my ship upon you all.  When you are singing so sweetly it doesn't bother me at all, but it does bother this medium.  There is something about this boy that sounds like that call him back.  I will get him where he is unconscious of all sound.  I have had a little practice in his work before, and if I can get complete control of this medium I hope we will be able to conjure those spirits that I spoke of."

Ewan, as the Captain, walks around the circle shaking hands with members.  He remarks to Mercedes that she will have a part.

Walter: "Good evening, friends.  Our friend here has been able to tell you of himself, and I am going to try to give you a picture of his ship when he gets it all set and going.  Well my friends, our parson here is very interested in what you said, but we won't let him sing. There are a lot of people here you would like to hear from.  They are a band of sailors."

Captain: "I would like my daughter ..."

Walter: "Yes, I know the lady.  He's got all kinds of people here, thieves and robbers.  They are the greatest rogues you ever saw."

Captain: "They are all right."

Walter: "They may be all right but to me they don't look it."

Captain: "Just misunderstood."

Walter: "Misunderstood?  They look the worst cut-throat gang I ever saw!"

Captain: "I'll answer for them !  They'll do what I tell them !"

Walter: "Those are not human beings; they are vermin!"

Captain: "How are they ever going to get better if they don't work here?"

Walter: "That's the worst crew I ever saw!  What's their names?"

Captain: "Slit-throat Jack, Monkey-faced Pete; there is one with one eye, one with no fingers on one hand.  Look at the one with the stump of a leg.  Here is one with ear-rings; he's a Spaniard, Spaniard Joe."

Walter: "Well, I don't like your companions!  I'll stay behind you.  Who is that with the high boots?  His face is not too bad.  Where did they all come from? They are a vicious set."
Captain: "They all have a kind of expression in their eyes.  Look for the best.  I see a lot of souls trying to be better!"

Walter: "They have a rough road ahead.  Have I to travel around with them  at your coattails?"

Captain: "Would you send them  away?"

Walter: "We cannot do that!"

Captain: "Would the girl come if they were bad?"

Walter: "She may find the sunny side but I cannot see it!"

Captain: "Didn't I tell you they wanted to grab and grab for themselves?"

Walter: "Will they talk to the people here?"

Captain: "If you tell them  to."

Walter: "I'll tell them  to!  I'll keep watch on them, all right.  Don't you see them  sitting there by the Captain?" (To W. B. Cooper)

W. B. Cooper: "No, I don't."

Walter: "Come on, Slit-throat Charlie!  What have you to say?  The crew of the 'Nancy Lee', do they drink rum?"

Captain: "They don't like to hear you talk like that!"

Walter: "I haven't heard them  speak yet.  Who is this girl?"

Captain: "Look at her!"

Walter: "I don't know who she is!"

Captain: "You had better speak." (To unseen girl)

Walter: "You tell her; you are the commander."

Captain: "Speak, and tell them  who you are!  Our friend here is so frightened!  Tell him what these men are!  Don't be shy! Come!  Come!"

Walter: "She is not shy; she is frightened to death."

Captain: "When I tell you to speak, speak!  This is a fragile vessel but it is strong enough."

Voice through Mercedes: "Good evening.  Do you wish me to say who I am?"

All: "Yes."

Voice: "I am the daughter of your friend."

All: "We are pleased to have you."

Daughter: "I am pleased to know that I am brought here with the consent of all here.  I am a little afraid of you yet.  I do not know you very well.  But I have been here many times.  I come often.  I shall be able to tell you more.  It was me your control referred to in the early part of the sitting.  The medium's other control (Lucy) was also there.  She was smiling, too."

Captain: "Speak to our friend and tell him about those." (Sailors).

Daughter: "Dear friend, Walter, do you hear me?"

Walter: "Yes."
Daughter: "These men are alright.  They have their part to play in the work.  They will not harm you.  They have brought earthly conditions.  You will see them  in a better light.  Shall I speak more, Captain, or shall I go?"

Captain: "Go now."

T. G. H.: "Was that your picture?  (Materialization of March 10, 1930.)

Daughter: "No.  Never underestimate her ( Lucy), for there are wonderful faculties in her for this work! I go.  Time means nothing to us; but to you, dear people, who have material duties to perform time means much.  Good night!"

Sister Lucy: "This is all right.  I just wanted to speak a moment.  I will let this girl come again!  Goodnight!"

Captain: "Up! up! Sit down.  All right!  Take her gently!  She has had an experience.  She will be all right."

Walter: "You have had your instructions.  Leave everything in the room as it is and on no account must you touch that ship!  This cabinet must not be entered by anyone but the mediums that are here now.  I am the one that gives the orders now!  We are working hand in hand.  Our friend has a great work to place before you and if I just chip in  occasionally it will be all right.  There is a reason for it.  I am well aware of the work he will do."

Captain: "If he can."

Walter: "Not if he can, but he can ..."

Captain: "Good night, friends!  We will meet again soon ... the sooner the better."

Walter: "Could you sing in the Mizpah?"

The group's say they do not know the tune.

Walter: "Just say it then.  All say it. 

All: "May the Lord watch between me and thee while we are absent one from the other."
I would like you all, please, to say that when you close.  Goodnight friends.  So long!"

T. G. H. closes the camera shutters.

Ewan (John King - the Captain)  "We will take that ship and bring it into port.  Do you think that's only a ship on the table?; that's a real ship got out of the ages."

Walter: "Let them photograph that ship."

The Captain: "God put it there for you to see."

Walter: "I am going to try to give you a picture of his ship when he gets it all set and going."

The Captain mentions his daughter several times.  The controls intimate that the Captain and his daughter - aided by Walter and Lucy - have a great work to perform in the near future.


March 30, 1930.                

Statement:        

Katie/Mercedes        

The "ship" teleplasm will be suspended in midair.  (See ship of June 4, 1930 in stereo)
(d)  A "ship" will be photographed.  (See ship of June 4 in stereo)

We will photograph a "ship". (See June 4, 1930)

Statement:        

Katie/Mercedes        

Katie will show her face.  (See "Katie" materialization, November, 1930 - January, 1933)

Katie shows her face.  The dawn

Ewan under stress.

Katie/Mercedes:  "We are going to give you the picture (materialization) of a ship.  You are going to suspend it in midair, aren't you, Walter?"

Katie seen by clairvoyants in cabinet.  The Captain orders her to remove the veil from her face! (See photos of veil taken later); 

Katie: "I will show my face so that you can see.  They are patient; they will wait!

9 p.m.        Meeting opens.

9:08 p.m.        Groups sing.  E.M. is in trance.  Writing follows.
9:20 p.m.        E.M. : "Good work on my land.  Prepared for fellow creatures.  Lots to tell you.  Titanic down; poor humans drowned like rats.  We are all living."  William Thomas Stead.

"Spurgeon and Flammarion are here.  Sing 'Take My Life and Let It Be'."  Group comply.

9:26 p.m.        E.M. : "The two Arthurs are here, Big Arthur and Little Arthur.  Little Arthur is fuller than Jimmy.  He is very nearly up to his uncle's shoulder.  Look at him grinning.  Uncle Arthur seems to be looking at Little Arthur.  He is coming over to you, Dr. Hamilton.  See the light!  You must see it.  He is gone.  Both are gone."

9:28 p.m.        E.M. moves out of the cabinet.  E.M. sees "Brother Bob" above  J. A. Hamilton.  E.M. recounts visions. (One  R. L. Stevenson from "Kidnaped"; David and ... on top of rock hiding from the soldiers.  L. H.)

9:37 p.m.        Group number.  Ewan says "fourteen" and Walter "twelve".  Sea dialogue between Ewan (the Captain) and Walter.  It is very amusing and clever.

9:44 p.m.        Walter: "Gangway!"

Dawn moves into the circle and sits on the chair in front of table, facing the cabinet.  Ewan in the cabinet is under much stress, breathes slowly and deeply.  Walter frequently exhorts everyone to sing, asks for "Tom Bowling."
9:48 p.m.        Ewan under much stress up to this time, is now much easier.

9:55 p.m.        Walter: "I wish to give a few instructions: keep your hand upon the medium's shoulder until I tell you.  I wish Dawn to be removed from the cabinet and I also wish her to take her place here at the next sitting.  When the "little lady" moves from the cabinet "Little Willy" will take her place.  I have work to do with him myself; so I wish Dawn to be removed to the back of the room.  (Dawn moves out to the back.  Walter insists that he can see for himself).  Don't get tense, friends, just keep your minds a blank.  There is only one master on a ship and I have left him there."

Captain: "There was a fight and I struck a dagger through him!"

A period of nonsense talk follows between the two controls.

Walter: "There was a boat put off (from the burning ship).  Come, tell them  who was in that boat ... five, six, seven ... seven people!"

Captain: "And one was ... who?  One was a girl!"

Walter: "Speak yourself!  Let her speak!"

Captain: "Come, come.  You were a long time, daughter!"

Mercedes is heard making sounds as if a control were coming through.  She starts to speak.  Walter orders "them" back. Ewan takes Mercedes, under control, around the group and introduces her.  The new control shakes hands with Victor, Ellen, T. G. H., and Mr. Reed.

Mercedes/Katie King?: "You must tell me the work you wish me to do. (Presumably to the captain).  Shall I tell you (to the group) what we are going to do?  We are going to give you a picture of a ship.  They are building it on the table under instructions from our friend Walter.  You are going to suspend it in mid air, aren't you, Walter?  Pull!  Pull!"

Mercedes, who is standing in front of the table in the center of the circle, pulls as if hoisting sails.

10:31 p.m.   Walter: "Friends, I must leave you!  I have a call.  Our good friend will dismiss you!  See that no one takes my medium!"

10:38 p.m.   Dawn is out of trance.

Mercedes/Katie (the daughter): "I see it!  Beautiful!  What could be fairer!  I on the deck watching the sun rise out of the water!  Nothing could be fairer.  We will go to sea again and live the scenes of the past again."

Dawn: "I see a lady in the cabinet."

Captain: "You may see the form of Katie there."

The daughter: "My father can do what you will with me."

Captain: "Let her see you.  Remove the veil from your face."

Dawn: "Yes, I see her!"

Captain: "Speak quickly!  Describe her!"

Dawn: "She has a long face.  It is very bright; I cannot see very much for the brightness!"

Captain: "Do you not see her lamp?"

Dawn: "She is very bright, like silver!"

Captain: "Your eyes are not used to that transfiguration."

The daughter: "You will see it plainer.  I will show my face so that you can see!  They are patient; they will wait."

W. B. Cooper: "That will be something to look forward to."

The daughter: "You will not be disappointed.  You must do your share.  This girl, through whom I am working, is alright; but she is new material to me.  Her other control has been with her many years; I have only been with her a few times before.  She was afraid to let me come near her.  She is a little stubborn, but it is better so; there are many who would like to come through.  With my father's help we would be able to give you good results.  Good night."
[The below is a description of John King.]

[Dawn describes a man in the cabinet; tall, broad-shouldered, black mustache and beard; scarf or handkerchief on his neck; terrible looking; had lovely teeth; looked fierce.]

11:01 p.m. Captain/Ewan: "Don't forget the Mizpah."

The group repeat it.

All: "May the Lord watch between me and thee while we are absent one from the other."

I would like you all, please, to say that when you close.  Goodnight friends.  So long!"

Break.


April 1, 1930

[Lecture at King Memorial Church Young People's Club - 'Lucy' shown for first time.  Lucy had been photographed on March 10, 1930.]


April 2, 1930

[Spoke at Rotary Club - all main masses shown including 'Lucy']


April 4, 1930.                

Ewan is absent.  Walter, John and Katie talk.  Katie says that she may someday "show" herself; she needs her father's help; he has the "power".


April 5, 1930.                

Boston sitting.        10 Lime Street, Boston

Circle clockwise: Psyche,; Dr. Richardson;  Mrs. Thorogood; Miss Crandon; Miss H. Richardson; Mrs. Richardson; Miss McKinstry; Dr. Crandon; Mr. Fife.

9:00 p.m.        Sitting opens.

A silence fell on the group (met for the first time in many weeks), a clock outside struck nine.  Mrs. Richardson remarked "How nice it would be to hear Walter's 'wee watchie' as in the old days." Immediately nine taps on a tiny bell were heard.  This was on the harmonica which lay on the table, and to which is attached a metal bell.  Walter then spoke, greeting the circle, in good spirits and with a very clear voice.

Dr. Crandon plied him with questions.  Walter was outspoken in regards to S. P. R. and events occurring there in December, but refused to be drawn into admitting any identity between himself and "Walter X" (control at Winnipeg).

Dr. Crandon then spoke of the photographs of materialized figures that are being obtained at Winnipeg, and said."  You won't let them  get ahead of us like that, will you Walter?" 

Walter: "I'll give you some pictures that will knock you inside out."

It was arranged, therefore, for the circle to resume regular sittings, twice a week, for the straight purpose of getting pictures of Walter sitting in a chair. "John says I must have my feet crossed.  Poor John!  He has been sitting on the table for some time and nobody pays any attention to him."  At this, a faint light, several inches in diameter, was seen hovering over the table, rising and falling for a few moments.

Walter was scornful about Woolley: said his opinion was of no value. "I have looked him all over and can't find any brains" ... and besides, 'Margery' had so many friends (he enumerated six or eight prominent psychic researchers in England), that her interests will be looked after. "Don't worry about Woolley", he kept saying, and sent them  this message: "ALL IS NOT IT THAT ITCHES"

Walter declined to discuss Thorogood's new voice control machine, saying, "One thing at a time."

Regarding the new president of the S. P. R., he said: "He is the right person - it would not do to put a man in that place!"
"Don't try to hurry Sir Oliver to corroborate the fingerprint.  He is up to his neck with some scientific work."

To Laura Crandon, "Don't worry ... and attend to your affairs.  Why, even your car has worried wrinkles and jumps!"

To the circle in general. "Attend to your business.  Every tube should stand on its own bottom."  Asked about the "Schiller experiment", he said, "How can I finish it, when nobody stays at home?  I get all ready and then off goes "S" to California."

At one point, Walter seemed  to be absent; and we thought that we heard a faint whisper, but it was not continued.  He gave reports on the health of various friends; also was requested to help others. "I might as well set up a hospital." Said his mother was fine - that Mrs. Lord was "coming on", but had her ups and downs like the rest of us.  Without saying good night he stopped talking at about 9:20 p.m.


April 6, 1930.                

While  E.M. is in trance, a light is seen above J. A. Hamilton's head.  The light is about the size of a penny, disk-like.  It is seen in the air above the circle for about ten seconds.  E.M. in trance (R. L. Stevenson period), says, "My lighthouse."  T. G. H. asks if this is  R. L. Stevenson's light.  The light was up and down three times.  All saw this.

E.M. on recovering, gave the following:
"I was at a lighthouse.  I was at it before, but I cannot remember its name.  We went up the stairs to the top.  I don't remember coming down.  R. L. Stevenson was with me; we came to a light.  It was a kind of clear light.  I came down the stairs myself and it was dark coming down."

The captain takes Walter on his ship.  There is much bantering talk between them .  The captain speaks in moving and beautiful words of his love for the sea.  He pleads for cooperation and sympathy.  Asks that Mercedes (who is absent) be present so that his daughter Katie may continue her work.


April 9, 1930.                

The captain asks that we speak to him, to bring him closer, get better control of his medium. "Talk", he says, "Talk, talk!"  Says that all his trouble is Ewan's lack of faith in him. Ewan depends on what he sees.


April 13, 1930.                

Dawn sits outside the cabinet during the  E.M. trance, then moves in to her accustomed place under  Walter's control.  Walter and the Captain appear to be building a ship.  Much nautical talk follows.  Katie also comes through and sings, or rather makes her medium, Mercedes, sing a rollicking sea song.  She also joins in the "sea" talk.  They say that the ship model is nearly ready.  Ewan says the masquerade is nearly over.

The Captain: "We are free!  I am free!  Give thanks to God!  The masquerade is nearly over!  Katie!"

Katie: "Yes?"

The captain: "Oh, come!"

Katie: "What is it you wish of me?"

The captain: "Tell me again that I am he who you know me to be."

Katie: "The kindest father a girl ever had.  To many you're stern; to many you're wrong; but to me you were father; never a hard word to me."

The captain: "But I am free with you!  Free with my child!  I am John King! (Strongly).  I am here to do what your friend (Walter) has bidden me!  I am of greater experience, though not of greater power."

Katie: (softly) "Come, father!"

John King: "I have for ages sought my child!  The ship ... what is it but a symbol of freedom?  Free to sail whither we will! Free to come and free to go!  This boy I use I have freed; and I am free.  Your friend (Walter) will speak to you; he is silent now because he wishes me to enjoy this moment.  Never have I been free ... held by some stray thoughts of that poor boy." (Ewan).

Katie: "He is no else than John King!"

John King: "I can hear some echoes of that boy but he is less than a shadow.  I will soon have absolutely nothing but myself before and behind; no shadow but the shadow of me; no eyes but mine to see; you shall then address your words to me and to no one else!  Come, Walter, speak.  Do you see her lamp?" (Katie's)

W. B. Cooper: "No."

T. G. H.: "There it is; he is swinging the light."  (Objective psychic light appears.)

Katie: "It was to show what he could do; he showed a little light.  He is wonderful!  Wonderful!"

Walter: "Do not speak of me.  I am only a tool."

Katie: "Tools and a master's hand; shapeless masses in the beginning, he molds them  as he wills."

Walter: "To be a tool of the carpenter ..."

Katie: "I would like just to say that do not be troubled if the mediums wander around; do not try to stop them .  When it is necessary for you to investigate, they will tell you.  Let them  have their freedom; they need it.  When I'm finished with this medium I would prefer that no one else would come through, not even her friend (Lucy), as I have her very far away tonight."

John King: "Her friend (Lucy) will not come tonight; she is waiting and understands."

Katie: "She understands her medium is not very strong."  

John King: "She is very far from you tonight; you don't know how far that little woman is from you, but she is in good keeping."

Walter: "With pirates and robbers."

John King: "With pirates and good saints."

Katie: "I am going home."

John King: "Go gently."(Mercedes is then back to her seat). "Watch every step of the way."

Katie: "Goodnight friends."

Walter: "Ahoy!"

John King: (gently) "Speak to her."

T. G. H. speaks to Mercedes and she recovers consciousness.

John King: "You have done well, my friend.  Your friend (Walter) will say 'So long.'"

All say "So long" to Walter.

John King: "Do not break until I tell you to.  I am alone.  It is a test.  Your friend is smiling." (John speaks with a very loud voice quite unlike former tones.)


April 14, 1930

[Letter from Crandon - very congratulatory.]


[Note of a lecture at Knox Church Young People's - 500 people present - admission 50 cents.  First charge to be made.]