1944

1944


January, 1944

The permanent and the illusory.        

"... When I first came here I was so interested in what I saw that I did not question much as to the manner of seeing; but since being with the teacher, and helping in these writings, I have begun to notice a difference between the objects that at a superficial glance seem to have much the same substance ... I can see a difference between those things which have existed on earth unquestionably, such as the forms of men and women, and those things which, while visible and seemingly palpable, may be, and probably are, thought creations.

"This thought came to me while looking on at the changing light I told you of, of the heavenly country, and it has been forced upon me with greater power while making explorations, that I may be able to distinguish at a glance between these classes of seeming objects.  For example, if I met the famous characters in 'Treasure Island', I would have reason to believe that I had seen a thought-form of sufficient vitality to stand as quasi-entities in this world of tenuous matter.  So far I have not encountered any such characters.  A character of fiction, or any other mental creation, however vivid as a picture, would have no soul, no unit of force, no real self whatever, but would come to me merely as a picture.  I shall try to put this to the test ..."

                                                        (Signed)   T.  G.  


[Footnote - The use here of the characters of TREASURE ISLAND as illustrations of this basic problem in the New State, is highly evidential, for it was through his prolonged and painstaking study of the Elizabeth M. hallucinatory visions, in which she saw "John Silver' and other TREASURE ISLAND characters as apparently living entities, that Dr. Hamilton came to hold the opinion that 'suggestion' by the communicator probably accounted for the great bulk of visions, symbolical settings, and so on, that crowded the pages of psychical and occult literature.  He believed that the imagination of the living 'dead' backed by strong will, produced many of the puzzling phenomena of this area of mental activity.  As has been suggested by the poets William Blake, and later Walt Whitman, imagination may be actually a powerful creative force, and probably more directly evidenced in the New State than here on earth.

[It may be of interest to the reader to know that in the original scripts of LETTERS FROM A LIVING DEAD MAN, the supposed inspirer, one Judge X  (now said to be T. G. H.'s teacher) takes his examples from Hugo's LES MISERABLES and makes no mention of TREASURE ISLAND.  In other words,  T. G. agrees with the teachings in LETTERS FROM A LIVING DEAD MAN, but carefully uses example from his own experiences and findings as a psychical researcher. ]


January, 1944

Joy and beauty.

        "... I want to tell you, Lillian, of a lovely spot I have visited                 often.  Sometimes I stay there for hours, as I would stay were I with you.  There is a lovely stream of crystal water and many beautiful trees.  At first I did not see the trees clearly, but after a little, as I sat in meditation, they became large and grand.

"Music played on earth reaches us and we enjoy it very much.  Tell Margaret to play some Franz Schubert for me in the evening and I shall be listening.  If you could hear our music!  I did not know much about music when on earth but now my ears are becoming adjusted.

"One day I took Arthur and John to hear the choir of musicians sing, and I left them for a while and walked away.  Turning around, I was amazed to see the whole place illuminated in a lovely light; and as I looked at the spot where the boys were standing, I was astonished to see them illuminated in the same soft glow of blue light. Then I called to the boys and asked them if they saw anything, and they said they saw the woods all lighted with a beautiful light.  Arthur thought that I was going to be taken away from them, as he had seen the light before, when many friends stood around talking to Jesus; but I was not near them ..."

                                                (Signed)    T. G.

John, the son of Dr. and Mrs. William Creighton, of Winnipeg, was killed in an airplane crash during training, prior to overseas duty in World War II.)


[Note: In connection with the Schubert music there is a most impressive incident.]

About a month before this script was given, I had written to my mother from a city in Eastern Canada, where I was at that time living, to tell her that I had been playing some of Schubert's works on the piano and had strongly felt my father's presence.  I had asked my mother to verify this, if possible.  She later told me that she had mentioned my request to no one, but had several times spoken these words aloud when she was alone in her room:

"T. G., did you hear Margaret playing Schubert?  If you did, answer through Dawn, by writing." Nearly four weeks later the answer came exactly as given above.  The odds against this being mere co-incidence are astronomical.]


January ,1944

The Saint.

"... There seems no better way in which to teach you than to tell you about a man who seemed to be a genuine saint.  One day, as I was walking through some beautiful woods, I saw him walking ahead of me.  After a moment he turned and said, "Could I do anything for you, friend?"

"I was embarrassed  a moment, feeling that I might have intruded upon some sweet communion;, but, being anxious to learn, I was bold in making enquiries. He looked at me in silence and then said:

        "You are trying to draw near God?"

        "Where is God?" I asked.

He smiled - and never have I seen such a smile - as he answered.

        "God is.  God is everywhere."

        "Then I asked what he meant by "God is."  God is?

"I do not know how the meaning was conveyed to me, perhaps by sympathy, but it suddenly flashed into my mind that when he said "God is", he impressed the realization of God, which is Spirit.  I understood that there is nothing that is, except God.  The knowledge must have been reflected in my face, for he said "You know God is."  Life took on a new meaning for me.

"As he left me his face shone with light and beauty and I wondered if I had seen the face of God.  I was so absorbed in my thoughts that I did not hear the music of the river that flowed past as I walked.  I said  "I am listening for the voice of God."

"Perhaps I shall see him again, but whether I do or not, he had given me something which I have given you - as he himself desired to give it to the world ..."

                                                (Signed)   T. G. 


The T. G. H. - Dawn Scripts of August 1943 - April 1944


January, 1944

"Hallo, Lillian.  I may not write again for a little while as I am going into the war zone.  I will tell you something of this later.  I have so many things to tell you so that you can tell others.  But the language of the earth cannot describe the unearthly.  I am not able to describe the real beauty that is here.  When we behold these beautiful things we are never the same again ..."
                                                        (Signed)   T. G.


Words of Caution

"... I should be sorry if the writings I have made should cause foolish and unthinking people to go spirit-hunting, inviting into their human sphere irresponsible and often lying elemental spirits.  Tell them not to do it.

"Most spirit communicators, even when genuine, have little value for the reason that they are nearly always colored by the mind of the person through whom they pass.

"I wish to go on record as discouraging irresponsible mediumship.  As this world is peopled largely from your world it is inevitable that we have the kind of people you have; they have not changed in passing through the world of death.

"You know how, while I was on earth, I investigated Spiritualism as I investigated many other things, always looking for the truth which was behind them; and I am now more (convinced) than ever that only by scientific investigation can we find the truth.

"I may not write again for a little while as I am going into the war zone.  I will tell you something of this later.  But as long as I can get Dawn to write with me I shall write as often as I can; I have so many things to tell you so that you can tell others.  'But the language of the earth cannot describe the unearthly, and even with the help of Dawn I am not able to describe the real beauty that is here.  When we behold these beautiful things we are never the same again'.

"Dawn is tired.  She is asleep.  It will do her good.  Good-bye for a little while ..."   

                                                                "T. G."

For several weeks no more 'Letters' from T.G. were received.  Late in February they began again.


February, 1944

"...  Hello, Lillian.  As I said before, this is a great place in which to grow, though few persons take advantage of its possibilities.  Most are content to assimilate the experiences which they had on earth.  It would be depressing if one did not realize that will is free, to see souls let slip opportunities here even as they did on earth.  There are always teachers standing ready to help anyone who shows the least sign that they desire to make a real study of the mysteries of this life.  Some persons may think that the mere dropping of the veil of matter should free the soul from all obscurations; but as on earth , so here: things are not thus and so because they ought to be, but because they are.  We draw to ourselves the experiences for which we are ready, and which are demanded by us; most souls here do not demand enough, any more than they did in life'.   

                                                        "T. G."

March, 1944

The war

"... My teacher and many others have paid a long visit to your world.  We traveled a long way from you to places which, owing to the war, are forbidden to the public.  Wherever we went destruction seemed to be around us.  It was very sad.

"I must try to tell you of my visit to some of the lads who have come over.  I have been with Oliver Lodge; he has accumulated valuable evidence of the identity of many of the boys who have arrived out here.  He is doing a wonderful work among them; they look to him as boys do to their teacher and listen to him.

"What a difference it would make to countless thousands of bereaved persons if they could only realize that their heroic fathers, husbands, sons, are no more dead than when they lived at home with them!  All their interests and sympathies remain, and when they are not on the battle-fields performing deeds of mercy, they are in their former homes endeavoring to console the mourners and lift the veil which hides them from physical view.

"Now, you may wonder how it is that I pass easily from this world into yours, seeing into both.  You must remember that your world and mine occupy about the same space, that the plane of the earth's surface is one of the lower planes of your world, using the word 'plane' as you would use the word 'layer'.   As the master said,  "In My Father's house are many mansions."  Some of the places are above the earth's surface.  Mansions in the sky are more than figurative ..."

                                                        (Signed)   T.  G.

March 1944

The sleepers

"... Lillian, I want to tell you about a different kind of people in whom I have been interested.  They are people who, when on the earth plane, denied the immortality of the soul.  My teacher tells me that thousands upon thousands of them have been asleep for generations.  I feel that this is a chance for me to try to awaken some of them.   They have not been wicked.  I wish I could describe these souls to you ..."

                                                        (Signed)  T. G.        

A few weeks later:

"... As I told you, I was expecting to begin a new work among a group of people who, when on the earth, denied the immortality of the soul.  Many of them have been asleep for centuries - perhaps ages.  When I rejoined my teacher I asked him if he had ever tried to awaken one of these sleepers.  He made no answer for a time, and then he said that he had, but that he had failed.  He told me that one had to go through various stages before one had enough power for this purpose.  It is very hard to believe that one has to go through other stages of progression before one can accomplish such in this connection ..."

                                                (Signed)   T.  G.


Still later:

"... Lillian, I regret that I am not strong enough yet to recall one of these sleeping ones.  However, I have seen one who has been called back by one of the Higher Teachers, and I realize as never before the personal power of these Teachers.  What he said I cannot repeat at this time, but after repeated commands the man stood up; but I could see that his efforts were almost too much for him.  My teacher tells me that I must learn more about the one whom I desire to awaken, for after he is awakened I must teach him from the first.  Many have been brought out of this sleep when they come out from under the spell which they have worked upon themselves.

"I will write you of my progress, but in the meantime Stead will return to take my place with Dawn ..."

                                                (Signed)   T. G.


March, 1944                

The Stead-Dawn Script

Responsibility                

"... Much has been written about the terror which prospective death inspires in the poor human being - people in love with life, skeptical and frivolous, forgetting God and what is required of them while on the earth plane.  It often happens that they doubt the reality of their decease, especially if they belong to the strong-minded  class of individual.  On the other hand, it can be verified that the terror which so many unhappy dying persons are prey to - horrors which follow them a long time after their decease - prevent them from freeing themselves from the tortures which they believe are imposed upon them.

"You who understand these things will be held responsible if you do not let them know the truth ..."  

                                                        "W.  T.  S."

        
[This short section is an interpolation from the Hamilton Final files.  It had been missed when I shortened the file by taking out the duplications.  But I think this is important enough to include even in this shorter version. W. D. F.]

Beginning of interpolation:

" ... any one who shows the least sign that they desire to make a real study of the mysteries of this life.  Some persons may think that the mere dropping of the veil of matter should free the soul from all obscurations, but as on earth , so here: things are not thus and so because they ought to be, but because they are.  We draw to ourselves the experiences for which we are ready, and which are demanded by us; most souls here do not demand enough, any more than they did in life. I hope this is not going to shock you, Lillian, but most of the men and women here have lived in the flesh before.  I was very startled when my teacher told me that they had walked the earth before as material people, some of them several times.  They remember their latest life, the others seem like a dream.  That is why one should keep the memory of the past as clear as possible."   [Reference to reincarnation.]


"What strange experiences one has here!  I rather dreaded my first visit to the earth plane alone - things seemed dark; but now they are growing lighter and I find my way unaided.  The body I now have is so light it can penetrate gross matter. As I travel I feel more the intensity of the life I am now living.  I am no wan spook liberated from the grave!  I am real and quite as wholesome as when I walked the earth.  It is a real pleasure for me to come into your presence even although you yourself do not see me.  It is because I have been given the power to return alone.  It is because I want to give you, and others, the true knowledge which cannot be reached by any other means.

[Note at the bottom of the page:  The theory of reincarnation repugnant to both  L. H. and  T. G. H., and for it, so far, there has been produced no satisfying evidence.  L. H.]

[Lillian's somewhat tart comment seems a bit out of character.  What exactly was she trying to say here?  Did she still reject the idea of the reality of reincarnation?  Her final sentence appears to indicate that she does.  W. D. F.]

[Madam Blavatsky had written and spoken since the late 1800's of the Masters and the need for lives (often many lives) to be lived on earth in order for individuals to learn the lessons which would free them from bondage to 'the wheel of life'.  The Hamiltons did have access to these books and it is pretty certain that they had read at least something of this material.]

[Editor's note: This is the only mention of the possibility of reincarnation in the Hamilton notes.  There are several indications in the notes that they had inquired of their friends on the Other Side and none of these friends had shown any interest or knowledge of this phenomenon.  Hamilton had read some of the Blavatsky materials which were very much on the minds of many educated people during the time of his experiments. He had apparently rejected reincarnation, a common position taken by most Spiritualists at his time.  Maybe he was more of a Spiritualist than he realized?  W. D. F.]

[Blavatsky, of course, insists on reincarnation and so the Hamiltons appear to have decided to ignore her work.  It is interesting to me to see Hamilton coming back after his transition  with a new perspective.  How is it that the earlier workers on the Other Side during the lifetime of Hamilton should have been so unaware of reincarnation, while Hamilton himself is made aware of this phenomenon after his own death by one of his teachers.  Did the other individuals with whom he worked on the Other Side not have similar teachers?  Did he now, after death, discuss any of this with his former co-workers in spirit?  There is no indication in the notes. W. D. F.]

End of interpolation.


April 20, 1944



[ Photo of letter from Dawn ( Mary Marshall ) to Lillian in London, Ontario visiting her daughter Margaret ]


In April, 1944   T. G.  Returned to continue writing his letters; these were to be the last ones in this long series. 

[Footnotes:- The three   T. G.  Letters dealing with the Sleepers and his efforts to awaken them, appeared to be a paraphrase of  "Letter XXXIX - The Doctrine of Death", which we found on pages 195 - 199 of "Letters From a Living Dead Man."  We discovered that  T.G. had used complete phrases and sentences, but had re-arranged them so as to describe in his own way his own experiences.]

The following brief scripts, given at intervals in April, 1944 through the automatist, Dawn, are the final writings of this lengthy series, and contain a few further messages from   T. G. H., and a moving 'Farewell' written by W. T. Stead.


April, 1944

Life's new intensity.

" ... Lillian, I will tell you more about the spheres as I learn about them from experience; and I comfort myself with the assurance that I shall be able to get it through to you ... They differ from one another by the difference of their astral substance ... I am far from the ideal knowledge ... 
        "What strange experiences one has here!  I rather dreaded my first visit to the earth plane alone - things seemed dark; but now they are growing lighter and I find my way unaided.  The body I now have is so light it can penetrate gross matter.

"As I travel I feel more the intensity of the life I am now living.  I am no wan spook liberated from the grave!  I am real and quite as wholesome as when I walked the earth.  It is a real pleasure for me to come into your presence even although you yourself do not see me.  It is because I have been given the power to return alone.  It is because I want to give you, and others, the true knowledge which cannot be reached by any other means.

"The greatest bit of knowledge which I have to offer you is this: that, by exercise of will, you can retain objective consciousness after death takes place.  As I said, before, many sink into subjective bliss; I could have done so myself, easily.  At almost any time, on composing yourself, you can fall into this state.  Please do not accuse me of contradicting myself or of being obscure.  I have said that objective consciousness is as possible with us as the subjective is with you; the tendency is merely the other way ..."

"My object in writing these notes is primarily to convince a few people, to strengthen their certainty in the fact of immortality, in the survival of the soul after the body-changes which are called death.  Many think they believe; many are not certain whether they believe or not.  If I can make my presence felt as a living entity in these writings, it will have the effect of strengthening the belief of certain persons in the doctrine of immortality..."

                                                        (Signed)   T. G.


April, 1944

"... Lillian, this is a strange age, an age in which a large number of men and women have no real interest in life beyond the grave.  But they will have to come out here sooner or later, and perhaps a few will find the change easier, the journey less formidable, by reason of what I have written.  Many persons approaching the great change, who may seriously study these notes, may be helped.

"I wish to go on record as discouraging irresponsible mediumship.  As this world is peopled largely from your world, it is inevitable that we have the kind of people you have; they have not changed much in passing through the door of death.

"You know how, while I was on earth, I investigated Spiritualism as I investigated many other things, always looking for the truth that was behind them; and I am now more (convinced) than every that only by scientific investigation can we find the truth!

"Is it not worth a little effort on your part as well as on mine?  I have talked with Stead and he seemed disappointed that you have done nothing with his writings.  He wants my notes published before people have forgotten me as their friend.

        "How long will it be before everyone realizes that the         
world is not governed by the caprices of a demon-being, speculating on human anguish, but is governed by a just, patient, benevolent law of evolution on earth as well as on the higher planes of existence..."

                                                        (Signed)   T. G.


April, 1944

The Stead-Dawn Script of April 1944

The farewell.

Regarding this brief script little need be said.  It speaks for itself as the considered product of a mind greater than that of the sensitive, and brings before us once more that exalted outlook which we have come to associate with the discarnate Stead.
As he came to us at the beginning of our work in 1921, so now, nearly twenty-four years later, it is his hand which draws the curtain, for from 1944 forward there have been no phenomena of moment under the Hamilton oversight.  Raps, scripts, visions, materializations, revelatory writings - he has been with us through them all - Stead, our counselor, friend, and source of high inspiration.  And in all these things, as did those others, so he labored for us and with us 'in the interests of humanity'.
Thus the path ends, and before us stand these words:

The Script

        "... Read Acts I, 8 and 26; Acts II, 19 and 20.

'But ye shall receive power after the Holy Ghost is come upon you; and ye shall be witnesses to me both in Jerusalem ... and unto the uttermost parts of the earth ... And I will show wonders in Heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath ... before the great and notable day of the Lord come ...'

"... Friends, have you ever stopped to examine the history of man's adventures into the supernatural?  He has always reached for something beyond himself; he has felt compulsion, seeking for signs, and according to his understanding, has put them to the test.

"The range of his experiences depended on his conception of God, the heathen running the gamut of idolatrous practices, while Socrates, at his trial, drew attention to superhuman influences in his experiences which he sometimes called by the name of Divinity.

"Within the Bible, running through the perplexing panorama, is a crystal stream of communication with those in the unseen world; conversation takes place with a chosen few.  Let it be remembered that the process of communication with the earth plane is not a form of superstition.  God Himself sent His Son into the world to teach these things - that there is no death.  And his disciples proved it to all who were in the Upper Room on the day of Pentecost; and through them it was made known to the world at that time.  Paul in his letter to the Phillipians told that a new fellowship was born in the colony.  And the Master said 'In My Father's house are many mansions' - and the Master still lives among us.

"When we speak of death as a separation, has it separated us?  Have we not been more continuously, more faithfully, more intimately with you?  I am your old friend who passed away some years ago, who has tried in every way to let the world know he can still communicate with it, if it will let him.

"Yes, I know it is the old, old story; but I have only to repeat it with a new accent: it is the things unseen that are eternal, and the things invisible which alone are of value; and my object is to urge you to concentrate life in the body on objectives that will last after you reach this side, and not on those things which cease to profit after death.

"Love, love, should be the first word and the last, the alpha and the Omega!  It is the word the world needs!  It is the Word which became flesh and dwelt among men.  Love, love!

"The spiritual world is more closely in touch with your world than you dream!  Waves from the everlasting shores roll and break over you!

"May a race of men and women arise in this generation of whom it can be said 'They brought us in touch with our loved ones.'  These will be the people who can say, with David Livingstone, 'I never made a sacrifice! ..."

                                                (Signed)   W.  T.  S.

                                                                        
April, 1944
                                                                                

" ... Lillian, I will tell you more about the spheres as I learn about them from experience; and I comfort myself with the assurance that I shall be able to get it through to you ... They differ from one another by the difference of their astral substance ... I am far from the ideal knowledge ...  

                                                        "T.G."

                
Another Glimpse of the Heavenly Country.

"... I want to tell you of a new teacher I have been given.  With some others I went with him to some of the higher planes.  All at once, as I looked around, I found myself alone.  Everything was so peaceful that I stood still.  I seemed to be in a lovely forest and the light was so bright that it seemed as if I were at the very gates of heaven.  I was afraid to move, and as I stood looking along the ground whence I had come 'I saw two beings coming toward me.  There was such a look of beauty and happiness on their faces that I at once knew I was in the presence of angels.  They held out a hand to me and said "Come with us."  We walked along in silence.  Then the light diffused softly, and in front of me 'I saw a group of children robed in palest blue, singing and dancing.  A great joy filled my heart."   "Is this Heaven?" I asked, as I saw all the beautiful spirits moving about the children.  "They were quite unconscious of time; it seemed as if they might have been there from all eternity.'

"We left the avenue of trees.  The odor in the air was lovely.  The birds in the trees were singing as we walked.  We came to a beautiful fountain, with its water being tossed up in the air and sending out a feathery spray.  The peace that was around was indeed beyond all understanding.  No sooner did this thought come to me than I saw the Beautiful One about whom I wrote you some time ago.  He smiled and I wanted to fall on my knees before Him.  Then He vanished and I seemed to feel myself being wafted back to my work again.  I was so happy because of what I had seen.  I know I shall go again ..."


The Purpose of These Writings

"My object in writing these notes is primarily to convince a few people, to strengthen their certainty in the fact of immortality, in the survival of the soul after the body-changes which are called death.  Many think they believe; many are not certain whether they believe or not.  If I can make my presence felt as a living entity in these writings, it will have the effect of strengthening the belief of certain persons in the doctrine of immortality ..."


July, 1944

[Published in PSYCHIC SCIENCE - July, 1944]

A Remarkable War Prophecy

A REMARKABLE WAR PROPHECY BY A TRANCE COMMUNICATOR CLAIMING TO BE RAYMOND LODGE

By Lillian Hamilton

Sometime during the early morning hours of November 12th, 1942, Mary M., our great materializing and writing medium, awakened from sleep to see, clairvoyantly we may suppose, a man whom she did not know standing beside her bed looking at her intently.  While she did not hear him speak she received the impression that she must get up and write for him, but what was to be the subject of the writing she had no idea.

Obeying the impulse thus strangely engendered, Mary M. arose, dressed, and, going to her dining-room, seated herself beside a small table, paper and pencils before her, passed into trance and awakened from this again to find she had written a few lines which she made no attempt to decipher.  She also found that this "presence" seemed still to be with her, and that he commanded her to place the script in an envelope, seal it, and write on the envelope:


"Not to be opened until after August 24th, 1943", which she did, bringing this sealed envelope to me a few hours later.

Thinking that perhaps the script thus obtained might be a forecast of some importance, for such a phenomenon was not unknown in the Mary M. mediumship, some weeks later I asked Mr. W. A. Wither, a well-known business man and former intimate friend of Dr. Hamilton, to assist me in placing the forecast, if such it should prove to be, on a still more water-tight basis of experiment. He accordingly, in my home on the evening of December 20th, 1942, sealed the already sealed envelope with two strips of strong adhesive paper which those present, his wife, Jean Wither, the writer, and Mr. Wither, signed after they had been placed in position.  As well, he drew a cross on the front of the envelope as a further mark of identification.

His note covering this procedure follows.

December 20th, 1942.  The sealed envelope marked with a cross was brought to Mrs. Glen Hamilton by Mary M. with

[A note in the right margin - "James Hamilton also wrote on the back of the envelope at this time]

[Note at the bottom of the page: - A mistake here: Mary M. placed this cross on the envelope at the instigation of the "presence" she told me later.  L. H.]

Instructions that it was to be kept unopened until the date written on the face of the envelope - August 24th, 1943.  No one knows what the envelope contains, not even Mary M.  Whatever was written and placed in the envelope was apparently written by Mary M. under psychic conditions.  The envelope I have sealed up again with two strips of adhesive paper, each strip being signed over by Lillian Hamilton  (Mrs. Glen Hamilton), and by  W.A. and Jean Wither.

                                        (Signed) W. A. Wither.

                
The envelope thus closed was opened on the evening of August 25th, 1943, one day after the date specified, but Mr. J. F. Campbell, K.C. senior member of an old and well-established law firm of this city, in the presence of Miss Ada Turner, Mr. Harold Turner, Mrs. J. F. Campbell, Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Wither, and the writer.  On the outside of the envelope Mr. Campbell made the following statement:

"This envelope, with seals unbroken, was opened at 185 Kelvin Street, Winnipeg, August 25th, 1943, in the presence of Lillian Hamilton, Ada and Harold Turner, Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Wither and Mr. and Mrs.  J. F. Campbell.

                                (Signed) J. F. Campbell, K.C.


I also have on hand Mr. Campbell's and Mr. Wither's joint statement covering the opening of the envelope and what they found to be its contents.  This statement I also give:
August 25th, 1943.  The envelope marked with a cross was produced by Lillian Hamilton on this date.  The seals were unbroken.  It was handed to J. Fletcher Campbell, K.C., and in the presence of Mrs. Lillian Hamilton, Mr. and Mrs. J. Fletcher Campbell, Harold Turner and Ada Turner, and Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Wither, the seals were broken.  The following is a copy of the contents of the envelope, written on a single piece of paper.

"The twenty-fourth of August is not the end of the war, but it is the beginning **** will see the beginning of the end of the war.  Everything will be in the hands of the British and their associates.  They will march into Germany and destroy the Gestapo and all that are in league with them and free the world for all time.

"The mills of God grind slowly but they grind exceeding small."

                                                Raymond Lodge.

                                                (Signed)   W. A. Wither
                                                 J. F. Campbell, K.C.


Except for the deletion of the words 'of August', indicated by the asterisks, which is, one would judge, an accidental interpolation due to a slight wavering of the supernormal influence impinging on the mind of the medium at the point where the communicator desired to modify slightly his prophetic statement, the above is the prediction exactly as laid down by the alleged living Raymond in regard to our coming victories, a bold statement surely to make as far back as those early morning hours of the 12th of November, 1942.  North Africa was still largely in the grip of the enemy; Europe still lay prostrate; the submarine warfare was still menacing; and in Russia, where they had pushed deep into the Caucasus and were nearing Stalingrad, the enemy were held at bay only be the most sanguinary and heroic efforts of our Northern Ally.
                
But what had happened by the time we had reached the day on which we opened the envelope.  On August 24th, 1943, which was, strangely enough the last day of the historic Quebec Conference, and the day set apart and twice emphasized by the communicator, our two great leaders, Churchill and Roosevelt, had announced that the whole field of world operation had been surveyed and that a forward march of British, American and Canadian forces was impending.  Africa had been cleared; the German and Italian armies in Africa had been annihilated; Sicily had been conquered; Mussolini overthrown; Italy's will for war was tottering; and terrible punishment had been inflicted on the enemy in Russia by the  Russian army.  Because of these victories and plans recently formulated at Quebec, Churchill was able to announce a few days later that we had "established a strategic initiative and potential, both from the Atlantic and from the Mediterranean, of which the enemy can neither measure the strength nor see the hour of application."

From all this it is abundantly clear, I think, that the intelligence communicating on that morning in November did somehow, in ways that are unknown to us, see down the avenue of the next nine months; see a day in this time's roadway that stood out prominently in the war's history, a day which, although perhaps arbitrarily chosen, now serves well to mark the beginning of that forward march of arms which since that time has been bringing us steadily but surely toward the complete capitulation of our enemies.  "August 24th (1943) is not the end of the war, but it will see the beginning of the end of the war ..."  

RAYMOND."     
                                                        November 12th, 1942.


That this intelligence was the survived Raymond we cannot, of course, claim with any full sense of certainty, there being no inherent proof that this personality actually was the trance communicator.  But how fitting it would be, were he the prophetic announcer on this occasion, especially in view of that last great promise, 

" ... And we shall free the world for all time," 

of war, presumably.  He would be, so to say, the mouthpiece for all who had paid the great sacrifice in the last war and in this - the brave, gallant youths of two generations.  Through his co-operation with his father he had been a wise, gifted and noble contributor to the work of piling up evidence for man's survival; and for this reason, also, his voice holds for us all a special significance.  That this communicator was Raymond I myself believe to be highly probable, my belief resting on the many contacts with this personality which we have had over the years, the most important of which will be found outlined in Dr. Hamilton's book,  Intention and Survival, and in PSYCHIC SCIENCE of January, 1932.  I believe him to be one of the "agents" spoken of by Sir Oliver Lodge in his arresting summation of his arguments for survival set forth in the closing words of his book "Why I Believe in Personal Immortality";

"Think you they will labor no more, will rest and leave us in neglect and loneliness?  Not so!  A mighty army is at work; not at the work of destruction, but at the work of regeneration, stimulation, help, and guidance.  They have not abandoned the conflict, they are in it still; regarding it now from a higher standpoint, seeing and lamenting our blunders but ready to lend a helping hand.  All doubtless subject to a Higher Power beyond our conception, which yet works by law, and by physical means, and by agents, in ways which we cannot fathom, but can gladly acknowledge ..."

The more important part of this forecast remains to be fulfilled - hence my desire to place it now on record.  Will our armies march into Germany?  Will they destroy the Gestapo, which (and this also seems scarcely to be a co-incidence) assumed its full and terrible power in Germany on the date mentioned?  Will this war free the world from this terrible incubus?

Only the march of time can reveal the truth or untruth of these precognitions.  Does man at last stand at the beginning of a great upward evolutionary movement?  Raymond as spokesman for the Beyond appears to think so.  Pray God he is not mistaken.

        "The veil is rending, and the Voices of the day

        Are heard across the Voices of the dark."